Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 23rd July 2012, 01:05   #181
BHPian

Went through the entire thread now. Do the autowallahs in Bangalore really deserve an entire thread? I guess one can even write books on them.

Had a lot of bad/funny experiences with them regarding metre and all that.

Ive to usually travel late at night around 8 pm to my home. The auto wallahs tend to ask a lot. 20rs above metre, or 1.5 even at 8pm. All i ask them is where their house is. They say saar ive to come back empty from your place etc etc. Now i know how much mileage the auto gives. The cost per km for them is approx rs 1 whereas for us its 10rs.(auto supposedly has mileage of 30kms per kg of gas)

So after doing the math in my head i tell them Friend its not going to take you more than xx amount to return home to your wife and kids. You have kids right? Why do you want to cheat me? Do you want your kids to be like you? After that they usually tend to get back on track and ask normal fare. I end up enquiring about their living and giving some advice to them. That way my experience also stays good and they also feel good of not having cheated atleast one customer in the day.

Autos also tend to charge more if one is coming out of malls. The only option for you is to bargain. If not this auto the next auto will agree to go. Or use the where is your house trick.

And ALWAYS check the rate chart. They tend to glance at the chart and quote a random price. When some auto guy quoted me a higher price he was shocked that I knew the exact values in the rate chart. And then i gave him 20rs less for being a cheat. Whereas to some good autowallahs ive even given some money to buy masks to avoid pollution.

And please if you dont know Kannada, learn it. Its easy and helps to save a lot of time at offices and with autowallahs. Speaking from personal experience.

Cheers!!
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 17:49   #182
BHPian

Thumbs down Re: The Cheating Auto Drivers of Bangalore. Be careful even with digital meters!

I seldom take auto in Bangalore, knowing how bad it gets to fight with them every time. I avoid taking auto like plague. Last weekend we decided to visit chikpet for shopping, being a Saturday, Maharaja Complex was choking with traffic, but fortunately got a parking place opposite to Upparpet police Station.

Now this place is 1km or so away from Chikpet, as we were pressed for time, decided to take an auto. Got an auto and he asked 20 rupees that we agreed to pay. While coming back it was drizzling, many autos declined to come short distance. So we walked down to a nearby auto stand and the auto wallah there asked Rs.80 for less than a KM distance. We decided to walk in the drizzle instead. I have noted down the number and sent an SMS to BTP, awaiting response.
kadurRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:10   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva
Reminds me of this. Robert Clive, founder of British empire wrote this to his sister after battle of Plassey (hope I can remember correctly)

" I was leading the victory march. Thousands of Indians lined on either side of the road and rooftops looking at us in wonder and awe. If only each of them had picked up a stone and thrown at us, we would have been routed"
OT:
However, in general we are a disunited bunch. Of late we can see how terribly parochial everything is becoming. Regionalization, communalization and myopia.
China is surging ahead. In one more generation we Indians would have lost the 'English-speaking' advantage also to the Chinese.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:47   #184
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Cheating Auto Drivers of Bangalore. Be careful even with digital meters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
OT:
However, in general we are a disunited bunch. Of late we can see how terribly parochial everything is becoming. Regionalization, communalization and myopia.
China is surging ahead. In one more generation we Indians would have lost the 'English-speaking' advantage also to the Chinese.
Again OT:

One more generation of indifference and we would probably lose the country to the Chinese. They already consider J&K and Arunachal as their own.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:32   #185
BHPian

Default Re: The Cheating Auto Drivers of Bangalore. Be careful even with digital meters!

I have an interesting comparison on the auto guys and our attitude towards compassionate feeding and pseudo kindness. But then i realize it could sound derogatory, so let me not do that.

Auto guys are making hay while the sun shines

Met an ex colleague of mine, and we both were waiting for an auto to the same destination. She said we can travel in one auto, decided that we shall go together. I asked the auto guy that we need to go from x to y. He says Rs. 50, and total distance not more than 1.5km (within minimum fare distance). My ex colleague was like, "theek hain lets go" and i said No. Auto guy was not ready for a compromise and i said wait for five mins we should be getting a bus. She said she was in a hurry and auto was convenient (which way ? I don't know) She says bye and gets on to the auto, the driver was giving a smile that meant "i won"

After five or six mins, the bus comes and i reach the same destination for Rs. 7. I could see the lady there, and she said reached just about couple of seconds earlier. I asked, why didn't you wait for five mins and get on to the bus ? She said, "yaar gareeb log hain, why bargain with them". I just smiled and went on to another conversation for few mins before we said bye. She was relaxed and talking calm and did not seem to be in a hurry. Now i am sure there are lot of people who keep giving money to these guys for their "gareebi" the money would keep reaching the booze shop or ganja den, and the fleecing/cheating/dadagiri happens when they don't get such money regularly. Not sure if this makes sense, but i think its a fact.
sunishsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:46   #186
Senior - BHPian

My experience with Bangalore auto and it's drivers until now leaves no room to complain, irrespective of whether it is day or night.

Maybe my experience with Chennai autos had helped.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 14:45   #187
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
My experience with Bangalore auto and it's drivers until now leaves no room to complain, irrespective of whether it is day or night.

Maybe my experience with Chennai autos had helped.
Oh yes, tell me about it!

Auto drivers in Bangalore are angels compared to their counterparts in Chennai. There is no concept of a meter in Chennai. Whatever random amount the autowallah quotes, you just have to pay if you don't have a choice.

By the way, public transport is really really cheap in Chennai compared to Bangalore.
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 15:08   #188
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of a joke in Kannada by a comedian Dayanand. (of course the spontaneity is lost in translation)

The auto guy asks for 1.5 times says he has to come back empty. To which he replies, why come back empty, put a sack of sand.

I never bargain and wont even talk to the guy and look at him if he asks anything extra. (but then I use autos on weekends and not so important work and I can wait)
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 22:53   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Auto drivers in Bangalore are angels compared to their counterparts in Chennai. There is no concept of a meter in Chennai. Whatever random amount the autowallah quotes, you just have to pay if you don't have a choice.
After getting my Visa stamped from US Consulate Chennai, I was returning back in an auto and the driver was asking me 500 bucks as treat!!! I just paid him a some extra money.
josejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 00:48   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
After getting my Visa stamped from US Consulate Chennai, I was returning back in an auto and the driver was asking me 500 bucks as treat!!! I just paid him a some extra money.
Haha.. Welcome to Chennai's famed autos! They look at you (if you look happy, you obviously have got the visa), and determine a rate, or shamelessly tell you "Sir you are going to america, what is there in 100 rupees extra?".
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 01:05   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Haha.. Welcome to Chennai's famed autos! They look at you (if you look happy, you obviously have got the visa), and determine a rate, or shamelessly tell you "Sir you are going to america, what is there in 100 rupees extra?".
This is exactly what the auto-wallah was saying. Anyways I was not in a mood to listen.
josejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 09:50   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
OT:
Yes it is OT but i cannot resist supporting this statement!! It looks like with every generation we are getting more divided!! Unity in diversity?it looks good in text-books but not at all happening in real-life!!

However my experiences with auto drivers in Bangalore have been good overall!Maybe knowledge of Kannada helps plus the fact that i do not travel much at odd hours.But given an option i would always take the bus and i strongly advice everyone i talk to who have reported issues with auto drivers
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 20:58   #193
BHPian

Today Google saved the day for me. My autowallah demanded excess fare showing a fake chart. I knew the fare to my place according to 17rs and 20rs metres but it wasnt any use if I couldnt prove to him.

Googled Bangalore auto fare 20rs chart. Instantly found a website displaying the chart in all its glory. Autowallah got shocked. Tried to argue. Realised it wasnt effective, then said sorry and took whatever fare was mentioned in the chart. Here is the link for everyone.
http://www.taxiautofare.com/taxi-far...luru-Auto-fare

Please have the chart handy with you. I wouldnt mind if the auto guy asked a few bucks extra, but I shall not tolerate fleecing.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 21:58   #194
BHPian

This incident happened with my sister's neighbour. She has put it up on BTP's FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...47207215344994
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 22:32   #195
BHPian

Sadly this has gone on for so long and still continues to go on everyday.

Also I learnt a few things about these auto fellows.

1. Sometimes they take you to the gas station and keep waiting. This results in waiting charges. If they put the auto in neutral or switch it off the waiting metre keeps on running. And they do all these just to fill only a litre of gas. The auto guy did this with me a few days back and I then made him stop the metre, photographed the kilometre reading and told him Ill pay him according to the kilometres travelled till my destination. On seeing this, he said, "Sir I'll take the gas later let me drop you first, you must be in a hurry."

It had happened with me quite a few times so I had kept thinking how to tackle this nuisance which finally made me strike upon this idea of photographing the metre. From what Ive heard, the new green autos give mileage of 30kmpl.

2. Then there is the trick of going in the wrong directions and then coming back to the right course. This also Ive tackled by saying I wont pay for the extra metres travelled. And sometimes I get down from the auto, saying I'd rather walk.

Regarding the FB post, its very true. Ive seen auto drivers in front of different malls, harass women folk. They come in groups and just tend to create a bad situation. Regular sight in front of Garuda mall and Forum mall. Has happened with my female friends in a few instances. And then there are the "Perverts" as well who enjoy the sights from their rear view mirrors.

Day by day the auto menace is getting worse in Bangalore and seeing only less and less friendly auto guys. On days that I end up taking the auto, I usually end up spending more on auto fare than if I had driven my car. Sometimes to stay away from this nuisance, I do end up taking the BMTC Volvos and have grown used to travelling in the buses by now. Requires a bit of pre planning to get to a destination on time.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote