Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th September 2012, 17:31   #196
Senior - BHPian

Smile A very pleasant experience

This post is a very different contrast to the title of this thread.

As most of you know, Bangalore has been hit hard by the Transport strike since the past two days.

I had not taken my car to work today as I was unwell, I was dropped by my brother in the morning and he was supposed to pick me up in the evening. Unfortunately he was unable to pick me up and hence I was left with no option but to take an auto. Usually my office is very well connected with BMTC Volvos, but with the transport strike, there were no options.
I braced myself for extra fleecing and other nonsense people are used to when travelling by auto in Bangalore.

I approached the first auto in the stand and I said where I wanted to go, he agreed (my first surprise). I sat in and before I ask him to put the meter, he did it himself (second surprise). It was a digital meter with KM reading. He started driving and I was in for a shock, he was driving very well, with proper signalling and no rash driving, lane cutting and honking (third surprise).The auto driver started talking about the transport strike and how people are affected by it. He even talked about how some auto drivers are fleecing people. But the biggest surprise was when he dropped me at my place, the fare was 103, which is accurate. I paid him 110. I was about to exit the auto, he said "Sir, your change" and gave me back 5 bucks. I said keep it and paid him another 10 bucks as a tip and thanked him.

The icing on the cake is the auto driver was not a middle aged or old person. He is just 25.

Thanks for the pleasant experience and may such good drivers increase. It will make commuting in Bangalore a lot easier.

Last edited by speedmiester : 14th September 2012 at 17:33.
speedmiester is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 18:37   #197
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A very pleasant experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
This post is a very different contrast to the title of this thread.

As most of you know, Bangalore has been hit hard by the Transport strike since the past two days.

I had not taken my car to work today as I was unwell, I was dropped by my brother in the morning and he was supposed to pick me up in the evening. Unfortunately he was unable to pick me up and hence I was left with no option but to take an auto. Usually my office is very well connected with BMTC Volvos, but with the transport strike, there were no options.
I braced myself for extra fleecing and other nonsense people are used to when travelling by auto in Bangalore.

I approached the first auto in the stand and I said where I wanted to go, he agreed (my first surprise). I sat in and before I ask him to put the meter, he did it himself (second surprise). It was a digital meter with KM reading. He started driving and I was in for a shock, he was driving very well, with proper signalling and no rash driving, lane cutting and honking (third surprise).The auto driver started talking about the transport strike and how people are affected by it. He even talked about how some auto drivers are fleecing people. But the biggest surprise was when he dropped me at my place, the fare was 103, which is accurate. I paid him 110. I was about to exit the auto, he said "Sir, your change" and gave me back 5 bucks. I said keep it and paid him another 10 bucks as a tip and thanked him.

The icing on the cake is the auto driver was not a middle aged or old person. He is just 25.

Thanks for the pleasant experience and may such good drivers increase. It will make commuting in Bangalore a lot easier.
Wasn't someone here maintaining a database of such drivers? Perhaps you should have got his number. May his tribe increase.
naveenroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 19:24   #198
BHPian

Default Re: The Cheating Auto Drivers of Bangalore. Be careful even with digital meters!

We are in a world where everything is decided by demand and supply or monopoly.
  • Land rates keep on increasing without any actual need of utilization but just because of demand among investors or fake hype. Our class people not complaining the system, want to reap the benefit, so they would buy their share to invest on the raising market.
  • Gold rates are keep on increasing just because of investment demand without any actual usage or requirement of gold. Our class of people not complaining the system but just want to buy to safeguard our share of benefit.
  • Share prices increase to peak or falls down to mud without actual profit or loss of company but just based on a gambling game called demand and supply.
  • Developed countries determines their currency value not by their actual production but based on demand & supply. Our class of people don't complain but want to reap the benefit.
  • We don't pay for any branded products(cooldrinks, burgers, chickens, dresses, etc.,) for their actual cost + margin profit, but for the brand value. We don't complain. We are pleased to accept and pay with gratitude.
But when a poor auto driver who can only belong to a slum or similar kind of area in a globalized city, who would earn few hundred bugs a day, who can't anywhere compare himself to our class of people, wan't to atleast cope up to exist in this world to get called as a fellow human being and try to earn few more bugs during driving on a heavy rain or mid night or strike, etc., all our class people complain and we call them cheaters.

Last edited by SANSI : 20th September 2012 at 19:51.
SANSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 20:08   #199
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Cheating Auto Drivers of Bangalore. Be careful even with digital meters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANSI View Post
We are pleased to accept and pay with gratitude.[/list]But when a poor auto driver who can only belong to a slum or similar kind of area in a globalized city, who would earn few hundred bugs a day, who can't anywhere compare himself to our class of people, wan't to atleast cope up to exist in this world to get called as a fellow human being and try to earn few more bugs during driving on a heavy rain or mid night or strike, etc., all our class people complain and we call them cheaters.
Today, my wife went to Mallya to see a doctor. The doctor had to do most of the paperwork and tests. Why? due to the buses of the road, autos were charging extortionate rates do staff found it more economical to forego their salary for the day!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 23:52   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But when a poor auto driver who can only belong to a slum or similar kind of area in a globalized city, who would earn few hundred bugs a day, who can't anywhere compare himself to our class of people, wan't to atleast cope up to exist in this world to get called as a fellow human being and try to earn few more bugs during driving on a heavy rain or mid night or strike, etc., all our class people complain and we call them cheaters.
I understand your sympathy towards auto-drivers. But only to a certain extent.

Sure, they are poor. They don't come from good backgrounds. They have no choice but to live in slums. They're exposed to diseases. Their earning abilities are limited and they're forced to manage their families on a small sum.

But does this automatically give them the right to over-charge / fleece and resort to other methods of cheating? Does this mean that we have to oblige to their unprofessional methods? I don't buy it. What about the honest set of auto-drivers in the city?

I believe that giving them the privilege to run amok and do as they please cannot be justified, just because they don't earn enough or are deprived of several necessities. It isn't my fault that they're not earning enough.

In fact, if we buckle-under and encourage them to charge passengers exorbitantly by giving in to their needs, things will only get worse!

Don't auto-drivers realize that if they're honest and straight-forward, they might even be tipped. I know several people who would gladly tip them. But they don't because they're put off by their exorbitant demands and cheating ways.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 06:25   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Don't auto-drivers realize that if they're honest and straight-forward, they might even be tipped.
Actually, people fortunate enough like me and you who don't cheat others to make a living will tip the auto guys. But the city has changed so much in the past few years, that if anyone who is wearing shoes and not sandals or wearing a chinese cheap glittering metal wrist watch or holding a mobile which costs not more than 3 K but looks decent etc is all perceived by the auto guy as " VERY RICH" / "BAKRA".

Now is it true that if we do the above, does it make us rich? The auto chaps immediately take us for I.T guys who in their minds earn lakhs and lakhs per month (not true for every IT professional though) and all they want to do is SCAM.

Heck, why auto guys alone? Traffic policemen and their S.I jump in front of our vehicles as if we are some high profile murderer escaping

Infact if the policemen who claim to be underpaid, can actually stand with a bowl to be tipped in, I would personally tip them everyday. No jokes here, even i hate the extortion part.
Ford5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 08:45   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We are in a world where everything is decided by demand and supply or monopoly.
That is quite true. Auto drivers DEMAND extra money and we have to SUPPLY it to them because they have MONOPOLY over the vote bank through their unions.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 09:06   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
But does this automatically give them the right to over-charge / fleece and resort to other methods of cheating? Does this mean that we have to oblige to their unprofessional methods? I don't buy it. What about the honest set of auto-drivers in the city?
I agree that auto drivers(not only them but every other professionals) need to be honest and no doubt about it.

But I am just showcasing the mindset of our class people. When anything below our level happens we raise our voice and shout like the whole world is collapsed. Like the street cleaners, traffic beggars, autowalas, etc., But when it happens at the level above by Corporates in the name of a bending law we don't even have a say there. When we are that selfish, they have their reasons to be selfish too.

So whom should we complain first. The system or the people who are affected by the system.

Last edited by SANSI : 21st September 2012 at 09:19.
Old 21st September 2012, 09:08   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
That is quite true. Auto drivers DEMAND extra money and we have to SUPPLY it to them because they have MONOPOLY over the vote bank through their unions.
Amitoj, can you pls decipher this for us ? If not every one, at least for me ?

What vote bank ?
Monopoly over what ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 09:22   #205
BHPian

Quote:
I think we are thinking too much of politics where there is nothing to gain and thinking nothing where too much of bad politics happens where as common people we have a lot to gain back.
Old 21st September 2012, 09:59   #206
Team-BHP Support

As a rule, I avoid taking an auto, if I have to, if they go by the meter and do not ask for anything, I tip them generously. If they ask for unreasonable extra money, I bargain and pay not a rupee more than agreed
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 11:22   #207
Senior - BHPian

A recent incident that happened..

Im in Bangalore for a few months of deputation.
My company is located in Manyata Business Park, and thats where the guest house is located too.
The other day, I had to visit a dentist on an emergency. Now, having no clue of the geography, I googled for nearby dentists. Found one in Coffee Board Layout, which isnt too far from MBP.
After office, decided to take an auto to the dentists place. The autowallah charged me 200 bucks for a short ride of 15 mins! I was in no mood to argue, as making it to the dentist was a priority, plus not being form town, didnt want any untoward incident.

After finishing my work, I was weary of taking an auto back, thinking another 200 would be down the drain. Hence, I decided to walk. An autowallah approaches me and asks if I need an auto. Not being too sure, I took one. The first thing he did is, put the meter on.
While chatting, he did realise that Im from out of town and after hearing my incident of being fleeced, did show sympathy.

Now, here's the kicker! When i reached my destination, the meter showed a total of 40 odd bucks. When I went to pay, the autowallah refused to take the money, saying one of his kind had cheated me, and its only right that he doesnt take money from me, to sort of compensate!!
Thanked him profuesly and offered him some tea at the joint opposite to where I stay!

So, not everyone is bad then?

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 21st September 2012 at 11:24.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 12:32   #208
BHPian

In last two weeks, had to take auto twice.

First, at 7AM in the morning from Anand Rao Circle to JP Nagar. I got down from the bus, many auto wallahs approached right at the bus door. Ignored all of them, had tea at the near by shop. Then, flagged an auto. I was prepared for one and half price. Surprisingly, auto driver didn't discuss about fare and once I reached home, he took the exact amount mentioned on the meter. I did tip him though.

Second, on BMTC strike day, had to go out for lunch in office hours. Took the auto and he too took the exact amount mentioned on the meter. He said, he is working over time to help commuters and he is not restricting his commute to any specific area.

Some how, I always encounter good auto fellas. Whenever anyone starts fleecing or negotiating price, I ignore them. At one time, I really had to spend more than 30 mins to find the auto who was willing to charge by meter!
Selective is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 15:36   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Amitoj, can you pls decipher this for us ? If not every one, at least for me ?

What vote bank ?
Monopoly over what ?
Demand is from autowallahs to ask for more money. Supply is from commuters to provide that money. Not in the traditional, economic terms of demand and supply though where there are countering push and pull forces. Here, there is only a pull of the money.

Monopoly over vote bank was a little over the top but their unions do have more backing from the local politicians than the commuters.

Now, quid pro quo, my friend. Please decipher the below post for me:

Quote:
I think we are thinking too much of politics where there is nothing to gain and thinking nothing where too much of bad politics happens where as common people we have a lot to gain back.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 16:01   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Monopoly over vote bank was a little over the top but their unions do have more backing from the local politicians than the commuters.
pun intended .. that logic would have given the meters (on these auto's) a run for their money !

Quote:
Now, quid pro quo, my friend. Please decipher the below post for me:
I would, If I could, my friend. But alas, I am not @Sansi ..
condor is online now   Reply With Quote