Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 30th April 2008, 22:15   #91
BHPian

Happened to me this weekend. Had to take a auto from HAL Airport to Majestic Railway Station. The prepaid auto wanted 250 bucks, so decided to walk out of the airport to get another one. Found a guy who wanted 150, but thought it was still too much, so kept walking. This guy said he'll use his digital meter and asked for 20 bucks extra. Sounded like a good deal, so boarded the auto. But kept noticing the meter changing values like mad. Kept arguing with him all the way and made him reset the meter twice to zero. Paid him 110. The meter would have summed up to 130-140.
fash_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 14:34   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post
HELLO,

Not sure how many of you travel by auto but thought would be good to make the point- IN BANGALORE BE CAREFUL EVEN WITH DIGITAL METERED AUTOWALLAS.

Thiyags
Hi thiyags , these guys have loads of tricks up their sleeve...just read the digital meter eposode post of mine (post 3 in the same thread and you will be surprised)
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 00:40   #93
BHPian

Default Bangalore Autos! Blocking the road going soo slow

Ok I have just about had it! This happens to me everyday.
Yesterday on my way back home there were 4 autos, and these were the ones near to my place.. I didnt count all of them..
All of them traveling in a line at 10km an hour right in the middle of the road? whats their problem? Why cant they just go towards the left side and go at their slow speeds?
I know 10KM isnt the max speed for an auto so why do they do it ? Why always right in the middle of the road?

I overtook 2 of them by honking my head off until they moved. I got soo fusturated I took a video of it.. The quality isnt all that great but here is an example of what I have or most people have to go through.

anyone else face this problem? More importantly why do they go so slow right in the middle of the road?

Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 08:45   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
Ok I have just about had it! This happens to me everyday.
Yesterday on my way back home there were 4 autos, and these were the ones near to my place.. I didnt count all of them..
All of them traveling in a line at 10km an hour right in the middle of the road? whats their problem? Why cant they just go towards the left side and go at their slow speeds?
I know 10KM isnt the max speed for an auto so why do they do it ? Why always right in the middle of the road?

I overtook 2 of them by honking my head off until they moved. I got soo fusturated I took a video of it.. The quality isnt all that great but here is an example of what I have or most people have to go through.

anyone else face this problem? More importantly why do they go so slow right in the middle of the road?

The auto guys do this all the time, when they don't have a fare.

There are other auto rickshaws threads. Please search & go thru the tread, You'll understand what you are in for.
cheers:
eclectix 1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 09:23   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
More importantly why do they go so slow right in the middle of the road?
Are you new to indian roads? This is their standard modus operandi.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 14:25   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
The auto guys do this all the time, when they don't have a fare.

There are other auto rickshaws threads. Please search & go thru the tread, You'll understand what you are in for.
cheers:
From what I have been through they do it even when the auto is fully loaded up.
I dont get it are just plane stupid? or they just like to annoy people ?

Next thing about them is the sound they produce its worse than a J brake!

gkrishn
Not exactly but trust me over the last year or so I feel that things are have gone from bad to worse.
Old 28th May 2008, 15:12   #97
Senior - BHPian

I hear they get their exhausts modified the moment they buy a new vehicle. When will the cops start charging them with noise pollution ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 00:10   #98
BHPian

Right esteem lover, The sound these Autos produce can make you deaf. Its way louder than most firecrackers!
Why exactly do they do this to their exhausts? I was in chennai last week and the Autos there didnt make this much noise.

Strangly I have never seen them pull over an auto or fine them for sound pollution!
Old 30th May 2008, 11:43   #99
BHPian

I also notice lot of autos smoking like anything and making huge noise on way to my office every day. looks like cops are ignorant about this or they get enough money from these people to stop taking any action against them
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 22:38   #100
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Abusive language is STRICTLY prohibited on this community, even if used indirectly (*****). Do NOT use inappropriate words on Team-BHP. A clean protocol is absolutely imperative keeping our varied audience in mind.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 31st May 2008 at 14:55.
alias is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 30th May 2008, 22:49   #101
BANNED

What I don't understand is running an auto is running a business, so they should be left to charge a suitable fare. The government is fixing the price of the fare by saying that you can only make this amount of money in your business. Agreed the fares take into account the petrol price but still they don't reflect the demand supply price. Given this autos resort to free market strategy- They charge more to business-poor places and normal for business-rich places. It is mostly fair enough with some occasional fleecing

Last edited by GTO : 31st May 2008 at 14:55. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 02:02   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
What I don't understand is running an auto is running a business, so they should be left to charge a suitable fare. The government is fixing the price of the fare by saying that you can only make this amount of money in your business. Agreed the fares take into account the petrol price but still they don't reflect the demand supply price. Given this autos resort to free market strategy- They charge more to business-poor places and normal for business-rich places. It is mostly fair enough with some occasional fleecing

Well the gov has fixed the rate because its a part of the so called public transport system.
ALso the Autos in Bangalore all of them run on LPG which is still subsidized a lot compared regular petrol.

alias
Nothing new all most all the autos do this. What time was this?
My sister once had a hard time getting an auto from MG road. Even the cops couldn't help telling her that there was nothing they could do.
Old 21st July 2008, 21:56   #103
BANNED

I searched high and low for an appropriate thread on Bombay autos but couldn't find one.

I was in Bombay over the last weekend of June. Get off the Kingfisher flight at Santa Cruz Airport and head to the auto queue - the driver pleads with me saying he has been waiting in the queue for 2 hours and cannot come to Koldongri (Vile Parle East). The cop on duty comes around - asks me what's wrong, I say this guy doesn't want to come because he's been waiting for 2 hours and wants a "good" fare. Let him get a good fare, I'll take an auto on the streets.

The first guy comes along and I get in. The driver tells me - autos in Bombay will cheat you, they will demand 300 for the trip to Koldongri. I'm honest - I'll come for 150. Almost jumped out of a running auto and stopped the next guy who said - 50. I think as per the meter, it barely crosses minimum fare.

My mother was born and brought up in Bombay and she visits once in 2-3 months - she had warned me about the auto guys (being from Madras, do I need warning about auto guys?). So much for a city where people claim taxis and autos run strictly by the meter.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 22:11   #104
BANNED

My friend had just returned from US. He dumped his bag full of good clothes behind the auto seat. He travelled from Dahisar station to his home near the bridge. He got down at his home, but forgot the bag.
He never got it back.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 15:23   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I searched high and low for an appropriate thread on Bombay autos but couldn't find one.

I was in Bombay over the last weekend of June. Get off the Kingfisher flight at Santa Cruz Airport and head to the auto queue - the driver pleads with me saying he has been waiting in the queue for 2 hours and cannot come to Koldongri (Vile Parle East). The cop on duty comes around - asks me what's wrong, I say this guy doesn't want to come because he's been waiting for 2 hours and wants a "good" fare. Let him get a good fare, I'll take an auto on the streets.

The first guy comes along and I get in. The driver tells me - autos in Bombay will cheat you, they will demand 300 for the trip to Koldongri. I'm honest - I'll come for 150. Almost jumped out of a running auto and stopped the next guy who said - 50. I think as per the meter, it barely crosses minimum fare.

My mother was born and brought up in Bombay and she visits once in 2-3 months - she had warned me about the auto guys (being from Madras, do I need warning about auto guys?). So much for a city where people claim taxis and autos run strictly by the meter.
Very surprised at hearing your story!!! Never experienced this in Mumbai. Ive travelled late nights from the airport (domestic) to Sahar road (hardly 20 bucks), yeah the drivers plead that they have stood for hours in the line, but when I am firm they come without any noise. Maybe the auto guys took you for a new comer and hence???
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote