Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 22nd July 2008, 15:26   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
My friend had just returned from US. He dumped his bag full of good clothes behind the auto seat. He travelled from Dahisar station to his home near the bridge. He got down at his home, but forgot the bag.
He never got it back.
It takes all kinds!. The papers regularly print stories of autowallas who returned mobiles, even bags filled with money/jewelry.

And in my humble opinion, ur friend had no business forgetting a suitcase full of clothes, for all u know the autowalla might have dumped it quickly into a sewer thinking it be a bomb??? after all in the mumbai blasts the terrorists had left bags in taxis??
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:00   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Very surprised at hearing your story!!! Never experienced this in Mumbai. Ive travelled late nights from the airport (domestic) to Sahar road (hardly 20 bucks), yeah the drivers plead that they have stood for hours in the line, but when I am firm they come without any noise. Maybe the auto guys took you for a new comer and hence???
There are few auto guys at the Santa Cruz airport who feel every passenger who come out of the airport doesnt belong to Bombay and try to make a fast buck I have experienced the same once when I boarded the auto to Khira Nagar the guy stated i need to pay 200 i told him to turn around and drop me to the stand where had picked me up and informed the cop. He was shunted out of the que but i guess such things are common in most cities where Auto and Cabbies try to make as much as then can from outsiders.
Hurrycane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:07   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
There are few auto guys at the Santa Cruz airport who feel every passenger who come out of the airport doesnt belong to Bombay and try to make a fast buck
Faced that many times. Good thing is, cops take care of Cabs/Auto as soon you approach them.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:03   #109
BHPian

In chennai, there is no hard and fast rule on how they charge. The rate depends on too many parameters and too complex to understand even for people who are born and stayed in chennai all along. Every time its a new experience

On the modd front, the silencers add to noise pollution, and the way they cut the mudgaurds just to have a thin sheet of metal forming an arch above the wheel, as if to cause damage to any vehicle unfortunate enough to be close enough.

And finally the way they drive it on any roads, able to sneak into the smallest gaps.
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 16:32   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
In chennai, there is no hard and fast rule on how they charge. The rate depends on too many parameters and too complex to understand even for people who are born and stayed in chennai all along.

And finally the way they drive it on any roads, able to sneak into the smallest gaps.
Raghu, There is only one rule for auto guys in chennai. Fleece the passengers. Regarding the way the drive, i feel, it would have been better if autos have steering wheels rather than handle bars.

I am so fed up with the way the auto driver go on the road, nowadays i am keeping quiet on the road come what may and i am on my way to sainthood
vennarbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 16:50   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
raghu.t.k : In chennai, there is no hard and fast rule on how they charge. The rate depends on too many parameters and too complex to understand even for people who are born and stayed in chennai all along. Every time its a new experience
There is a rule. It's called 'Random Number Generators'. Of course, there is a minimum cut-off which is "always greater than" 1.5 x your estimate.

Hope things have fallen in place now, and you have attained enligntenment about their methodology.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 10:50   #112
BHPian

Reviving the thread.
Man, never take auto in the nights. I met a con of a driver.
I got down at 3am in majestic, drowsy.... auto driver offered to drive to Malleshwaram. Since i know that the meters are really horrible, they spin faster than tops in night (bugree for kannada ppl ), i told i'll pay Rs80 flat, no meter stuff.
I reached my destination with two bangs on my skull, i dont know why they drive like demons.
I gave him 50x1, 10x3. And im collecting my luggage, he hands me back Rs.50 saying its torn. I gave him another 50 rupee note, he hands me back saying its also torn!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then i gave him 100 rupee note and proceeded to collect my luggage. AND HE SAYS I NEVER GAVE HIM 100!!!!!! I told him he's lying, HE EMPTIES HIS POCKETS and there is no 100 rupees. I cant do a strip search right??
Finally pulled out 10 rupee notes and paid one by one. I was short by 5rupees and the rat wouldnt let go off. I dumped some change into his hands and said "Its easy to make business at night isnt it, maja madappa".
Horrible horrible.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 14:24   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
I gave him 50x1, 10x3. And im collecting my luggage, he hands me back Rs.50 saying its torn. I gave him another 50 rupee note, he hands me back saying its also torn!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then i gave him 100 rupee note and proceeded to collect my luggage. AND HE SAYS I NEVER GAVE HIM 100!!!!!!
I too got conned this way while taking an auto at night! This seems to be a new way of fooling people in Bangalore
mtnrajdeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 14:49   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

And the usual generous asking rates kept flowing as I tried to get a rick upto office today afternoon. Distance wasnt much - 3 km. The guys kept asking for 40 bucks. And I responded by asking them to come at half-meter. :-)

So when a rick agreed to come as per meter, tipped him a bit.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 22:32   #115
BHPian

After taking the bagge, you should have told you never came by that auto !
Superleggera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 23:22   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
The auto guys know that people will not bother take pains to register complaints and hence they try to cheat us in all ways possible.

Nirmal
Hey cheer up - it happens to everybody at one or the other time.

However it shouldn't deter you from giving a written complaint. I am not sure if this is a universal procedure but the Jayangar Traffic Police have a new form for Auto Rickshaw complaints - fill in the time , starting pt, destination , Auto number , your details and the complaint. Then they "supposedly" track down the auto (if the incident had taken place in their jurisdiction no matter to which area the auto belongs...) and call you back before taking further action.

I have done this once but I didn't get any response as expected but I think its worth a try.

I have had many experiences with rude Rick drivers - but most of the times , a visit to the police station or mention of the police station brings them to their senses..
Sandeep_K_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 02:27   #117
BHPian

When i first landed in Bangalore, i was staying in MLA layout in RT Nagar. I had to go to see an apartment in Sultan Palya and the bugger said its 50 bucks which i paid him. Actual distance is nothing more than 2 kms!

This was the first time and the last time that i took an auto - i got my car moved to Bangalore and use that, or the taxi service.
somubj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 15:15   #118
BHPian

I too once got cheated by one autowala like this. I was to meet my friend at commercial street. Called her up and told i will be late as i was stuck in traffic. She was fuming and was ready to bite my head off. Took an auto and when i reached commercial street, the meter was showing 60 bucks. I did not have exact change. So gave him a 100 rupee note and started looking for my friend. The autowala says "maam, you gave me a 10 rupee note". I was surprised and thought that it is my mistake. Gave him another 100 rupee note. Again he says the same thing and shows me a 10 rupee note. But i was pretty sure that i gave him a 100, so asked him to show his pockets. He showed and there were some 10 rupee notes in it.

I know i was cheated but couldnt do anything. This time made sure that he acknowledges the 100 rupee note before placing it in his hands.

Lesson learnt. From then, i carry lot of change with me and show the amount to the autowala before placing it in their hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Reviving the thread.
Man, never take auto in the nights. I met a con of a driver.
I got down at 3am in majestic, drowsy.... auto driver offered to drive to Malleshwaram. Since i know that the meters are really horrible, they spin faster than tops in night (bugree for kannada ppl ), i told i'll pay Rs80 flat, no meter stuff.
I reached my destination with two bangs on my skull, i dont know why they drive like demons.
Then i gave him 100 rupee note and proceeded to collect my luggage. AND HE SAYS I NEVER GAVE HIM 100!!!!!! I told him he's lying, HE EMPTIES HIS POCKETS and there is no 100 rupees. I cant do a strip search right??
Finally pulled out 10 rupee notes and paid one by one. I was short by 5rupees and the rat wouldnt let go off. I dumped some change into his hands and said "Its easy to make business at night isnt it, maja madappa".
Horrible horrible.
Pallavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 19:43   #119
BHPian

This is what my friend and I experienced for a week when we were in B'lore recently for a week long training. We were staying in a hotel on Seshadripuram 1st main close to Manipal Motors (which is on Sankey road). Training was at Le Meridien which was walkable distance - in fact that was why we chose this hotel. Unfortunately we were handed out a bulky reference manual and had to lug it every day along with our laptops. And that landed us in the mercy of these "Demons". The morning trip from Hotel would cost us Rs.30 flat - that too after at least half a dozen refusals. Evening the demand would be at least 50 - reason traffic!!!

And on the last day when I wanted to go from the Hotel to Corpn circle, 13 of them rejected and surprisingly the 14th came and charged me by meter which cost me Rs.63/-. Paid 100 and got back 37. May be one of those exceptions!!

Probably they have learnt the tricks of the trade from their Chennai Brethern.
cnaganathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 11:56   #120
BHPian

Our Rick guys seem to have taken Training from some Magician; helps them in making some quick monies. These guys are pathetic barring a few; they act and behave more like Goons than Rick drivers.

From my residence at HSR to the city railway station they charge 180 flat as they have to return empty it seems, are these guys joking will they ever come empty. We always wait for a Rick which is not from HSR as the charge to the railway station is just 110.
Hurrycane12 is offline   Reply With Quote