Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 30th March 2008, 08:41   #16
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
dread train rides to north because of these "things" Feel like showing them the business end of a sawn off shotgun ( and using it too ) every time !
Oh yes, they will get into the trains and misbehave with passengers and take whatever they want. This is standard atleast on Uttar Sampark kranti between Jammu-Delhi.

All this under the watchfull and protective eyes of the well paid-off RPF.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 09:04   #17
BHPian

I agree with most of the view.But I feels that is only means of their life.No body employs them and i think they also have rights to live.But if they force you it is different story.Most them are descent but some of them spoiled there name.That is what I feel.
manziee_crusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 10:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Its easy for you to sit in your chair and type that. Maybe even you might have come across them on the road , and you paid them off and they left.

Its not nice if you are broke and on a train and a gang of them comes up and accost you. I'm sure you'll be waiting in line to grab my shotgun

having said that , once the train moved southwards , they suddenly became very well behaved. Seems their kind get beaten up badly in kerala if they start plying their trade.
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 12:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

It should be appreciated that this man was not harassed because he was a foreigner. Anybody opposing them will be harassed.

Once upon a time, in the early 1990s, I came accross these things for the first time on a train. I refused to pay up. They started with calling me a "madrasi". I replied saying something like English, "I am a Madrasi even before I refused you. Madrasi is bad, but his money is good?" and they went away. Probably they spared me because I was too young then.

But on getting out of New Delhi railway station, I saw a gang harassing a shop keeper opposite the rly station.

Later on, when a Keralite was the Railways minister, he took some steps to curb their menace on trains. Dunno what the position is now.

@manziee, I have no sympathy for them. They have chosen the avocation by choice. Birth defects can be always be cured by plastic surgery, but they are using crude methods to reach the present state.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 30th March 2008 at 12:31.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 13:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
I always pay them, but never witnessed any such thing, or never came accross any such incident that happened with me, or anyone i know of.
In Bombay there are a lot of FAKE ones too hahaha, the ones who pretend to be but are not eunuchs!!
Correct.
10 bucks is all it takes to keep them away from our car.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 13:24   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Here they just seem to ask money of all the businesses in the street --- but then, I've heard it said that the police do that too!

Anybody who is made an outcast by accident of birth or psychology has my sympathy. The problem is with society.

Having said that, hassle is hassle, and equally unwanted whoever it comes from.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 13:25   #22
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manziee_crusier View Post
I agree with most of the view.But I feels that is only means of their life.No body employs them and i think they also have rights to live.But if they force you it is different story.Most them are descent but some of them spoiled there name.That is what I feel.
If i had my way, i would really make them outcasts because of their current behaviour.

No one employs them because of their behaviour and clothing. If they are properly dressed, things will change and they will gain employment and acceptance.

They have enough money to move to mainstream, start their own small scale business and earn a decent livelihood. But they refuse to do so.
When they can own maruti vans, employ drivers, cooks and strongmen, how about employing some salesmen to sell their products.

e.g. they can make papads, achars etc and sell them. Or they can setup a small co-op factory as an ancilliary unit. There are large companies who would be more than willing to help them if they approached them.

But these folks refuse to make a decent livelihood. why toil and work hard when you can just threaten to strip and earn big bucks?

Last edited by LLL : 30th March 2008 at 13:28.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 14:00   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
I always pay them, but never witnessed any such thing, or never came accross any such incident that happened with me, or anyone i know of.
In Bombay there are a lot of FAKE ones too hahaha, the ones who pretend to be but are not eunuchs!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Correct.

Why??!!
Why should one pay them?

I have been approached by them while waiting at the signal on my bike. And while walking through the Shivajinagar area. And also while i'm in an Auto. I haven't paid them anything except once, when i was a noob, in my three years in Bangalore.

They might have a right to live and all... but i don't usually pay beggars with attitudes.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 14:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Here they just seem to ask money of all the businesses in the street --- but then, I've heard it said that the police do that too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Why??!!
Why should one pay them?
Exactly. Just because everyone else does it does not make it right. At least we have the law on our side when it comes to corrupt cops. What do we have to deal with these things ?
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 15:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Yep, never paid them (encounter quite a few, all along the ORR, and even Koramangala these days) - and no issues so far.

One trick I use when possible is wait for them to approach, and ride forward into a gap etc the moment they're close. They're more interested in the cars, in any case.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 15:45   #26
BHPian

zenx, you are unlikely to face issues with hijras in karnataka, by and large. Appears that this menace has not assumed such proportions in this state. Not yet. Don't know if touching wood would help, but a shotgun would surely come in handy. lol.

Having travelled up north recently, I now find that these are people to be quite wary of.
skandyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 16:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Never paid anything to them. More than 50% of these are proper men who have found an easy way to harass & earn money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
BTW, heard that these creatures who recently surfaced in Blr are not the real shemales (or whetever they are supposed to be) - they are just men, disguised in sarees.
Absolutely right, i heard they are into disguising as prostitutes & blackmail for money in bangalore.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 20:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Correct.
we wud not have this problem in the first place if smartpants like you did not encourage livelihood of such lowlives.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 22:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

"Real" ones are quite rare. rest of them are perfectly normal persons who dress up to make a quick buck.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 10:40   #30
Team-BHP Support

At the Sarjapur junction, ORR these people have become a menace. Thankfully, when i am in the car, i have the windows rolled up (almost always!), and turn a blind eye to them. Ask wifey also not to bother. I hate to pay them any amount of money, specially since they just refuse to accept anything less than 10 bucks.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote