Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 3rd April 2008, 12:09   #16
Team-BHP Support

You can either generate revenue or do effective policing.

MIx the two and its not gonna work.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You can either generate revenue or do effective policing.

MIx the two and its not gonna work.
Are the trafiic police there to generate revenue?
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:23   #18
Team-BHP Support

Is that not what is happening with these challan based system.

Stop the easy prey read private cars going at 55 kmph in a 50 kmph zone.
Forget about fixing roads and bad traffic signals.
Don't stop trucks running inside city limits.
No action against taxi services.
No action against public transport busses spewing out fumes.

Break the revenue into 2 parts.
Govt gets the money from private car owners.
Police takes money from others.

Private car owners pay a much higher amount and have to drive slow.
The rest pay much lesser and get to flout the law as well.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd April 2008 at 12:23. Reason: edit
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I never get this worldwide thing.

Every rule has to be made as per the prevailing conditions of the city/ country.

Worldwide people stop for Zebra crossings, follow lane discipline and follow the traffic rules, but do we do that here ??

Dadu, This is correct. Our folks just do not follow the discipline in India, but do so elsehwere.This is the typical "chalta hai" attitude for Indian laws and also the fact that we know that the implementation and punishment is very lax. 100 Rs is really nothing but 100$( the x40 calculator starts running mentally ) can pinch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Care to cite your sources?
I have travelled to many cities around the world, and I have never seen a uniform 50kmph speed limit
School zones have 20-30mph, small roads have 40mph, major roads have 50mph and interstates passing through the city have 60mph limit.
Delhi has 50kmph everywhere except for DND flyways and newly constructed Toll road to Gurgaon.
Moreover the accuracy of radar equipment is +-5% for the best in the market.
So challaning somebody for 82kmph or 81kmph in a 80 zone is illegal and unethical.

Many laws are being used as revenue generators instead of safety. Infact I have seen people doing 52-53 in a 50 zone getting challaned while the cops ignored a guy atleast doing 100+ flying by because stopping him would have been a hassle. Saw this on the Outer ring road with my own eyes.

Challaning in Delhi has become a big farce because the traffic police ignore stuff which is claiming lives
1. Red light jumpers at nights have killed people in delhi and caused serious accidents, but I never see an interceptor at night
2. Many trucks race through Delhi inspite of HC/S.court orders, by paying 200rs bribe. It was caught on tape.
3. Many call center cabs doing 80+ on narrow roads are ignored.

challaning in Delhi happens in the non-accident prone areas where its easy to generate revenue.
@tsk1979 : The only source i can cite is my limited experience of driving in about 25 countries across various continents for the past couple of decades. One can nitpick and say that there are differential speeds for the school zone, 4 lane rural, 2 lane rural, 2 lane urban, 4 lane urban, arterial etc etc. There are multiple scenarios and their implementation would be a welcome step in india, but the fact remains that the 50km/h or 30mph is a median speed limit in cities worldwide. Since the same rule applies across continents, i think i can with some degree of confidence generalise this.

Considering our indisciplined traffic, i think that speed governance is of importance. Rather prefer having an accident @ 50km/hr than at 80km/hr. With the acute shortage of traffic wardens and related staff, i think tracking speed would be about the easiest thing than can be done rather than enforcing driving discipline.
I just wish there was some goddamn uniformity in applying the law..

Last edited by sanjayatarizona : 3rd April 2008 at 12:54.
sanjayatarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 21:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
100 Rs is really nothing...
Hey, they have since moved up drastically from the Rs. 100 of yesteryears - at least in Delhi, they have!
kkdelhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 22:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
Hey, they have since moved up drastically from the Rs. 100 of yesteryears - at least in Delhi, they have!

Sorry boss. Forgot to take inflation in account. Getting older . It is closer to a grand i guess. At the end of the day you can still pay up a nominal amount, get no points on your driving license and get away with it.
I love my country....
sanjayatarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 22:48   #22
BHPian

Police people on patrols are also the defaulters(big ones!) How many of them do we find wearing a helmet while riding their bikes? You can actually find them cruising on the wrong side or parked indifferently next to a cigarete shop and yaking away to glory with some street joker or the parking wallah.

This evening, at around 2000h a solo policeman on his official bike was blaring his siren next to Bhramaputra market in Noida. I realised that he was doing this to facilitate his throughfare amongst other vehicles. Incidentally, this gent was also without any headgear.

Last week I was driving back from Dhanbad to Jamshedpur in our old family car; TATA Estate, along with my mother and wife with my son in her lap. I was stopped by some police people without any reason(probably they saw a potential source of income generation). He asked for my license and registration of the vehicle. I refused to hand over the same to him and asked him the authourity of asking the same from me and the reason for stopping me. He said that he wanted to check my car. That blew my top! I asked him for written instructions to be handed over to me before they proceed for the search and I also asked him as to why his uniform was not proper?! (He was not wearing his name tab, amonst few other flaws)
Hearing this question, he got a little defensive and reluctantly told me to carry on my way.

The point I want to bring out from this incident is that these people at most of the time are themselve wrong in what they are doing. They need to be questioned by us to put the point across, like stopping commuters travelling at 52 kmph and branding them as defaulters!

Remember, roads are for driving, not for halting or parking.
susan3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 15:25   #23
BHPian

Major interceptor checking going on today as well near raj ghat, red fort, and purana qilla. Beware.
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 15:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
Dadu, This is correct. Our folks just do not follow the discipline in India, but do so elsehwere.This is the typical "chalta hai" attitude for Indian laws and also the fact that we know that the implementation and punishment is very lax. 100 Rs is really nothing but 100$( the x40 calculator starts running mentally ) can pinch.

@tsk1979 : The only source i can cite is my limited experience of driving in about 25 countries across various continents for the past couple of decades.
You posted 50 kmph or mph. Perhaps that could account. Even that 50 mph is not present in many countries, where limits are around 55-70 mph .Speed limits in India are perhaps low, and reports say that the Govt. is considering increasing the limit.

On the topic itself, this drive has been going on from around Holi. I have also been chalaaned on Good Friday and relieved of Rs. 900. I had to go to office, and was coming back at 1 PM. It was a holiday and there was hardly any traffic. The road towards Nizamuddin bridge was empty, and I was driving at 80 kmph. Then suddenly at the left turn (ring road to bridge), cops appeared and asked me to stop. There were around 8-10 more culprits then. Two days later on Sunday, I was going thru the same spot again. This time I remembered and reduced speed. Again, there were some overspeeders.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 21:37   #25
BHPian

There were cops at the turning today also; but the rush was so heavy after the downpour that it was difficult to move fast and also there were some threewheelers and cars stranded on the bridge.
susan3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 23:20   #26
BHPian

OT: What a downpour it was today, eh! Lovely - the smell of the earth!
kkdelhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 00:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
Seems like there is some sort of drive going on today / these days. Unfortunately got my first speeding ticket today (Rs. 900 ).

Man, i feel sad for you, really. Now that puts a serious dent into your ICE project, doesn't it ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 00:35   #28
Team-BHP Support

I am working on a project which will give a google map for all known interceptor locations in Delhi..
Community effort it is
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 01:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am working on a project which will give a google map for all known interceptor locations in Delhi..
Community effort it is
Weill I'm most probably the guy who's been caught the maximum number of times speeding (at almost all locations!!) and probably for the highest offence too (Doing 170 in a 50 zone!! ) so do you need any help from me??
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 02:01   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Weill I'm most probably the guy who's been caught the maximum number of times speeding (at almost all locations!!) and probably for the highest offence too (Doing 170 in a 50 zone!! ) so do you need any help from me??
Will get in touch with you... wait for my PM
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote