Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 5th April 2008, 16:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Smile while driving? Yes, only in early morning hours and late night as there will be nobody to object your driving.

But...I live my house smiling and whenever any autos/buses cut in my way and does not follow lane, there ends my smiling face.

Last edited by snaronikar : 5th April 2008 at 16:24.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 17:33   #17
BHPian

Quite enjoyed reading this topic and the darjeeling piece. Feel all warm and fuzzy to hear that driving is still pleasurable and happy in some parts.

I dont think i smile a lot while driving other than if someone is with me and am in conversation. Will try this from now on. Its a great idea to loosen up and curb road rage as people will surely loosen up if they see a smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
But...I live my house smiling and whenever any autos/buses cut in my way and does not follow lane, there ends my smiling face.
Live your house hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin
1) someone will intercept your car,and have a scuffle with you - As they might get the feeling you are mocking at them.
i completely agree on that and am sure this is bound to happen.

Last edited by Xehaust : 5th April 2008 at 17:34.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 17:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Live your house hehe
Sorry, Grammatical mistake.

Last edited by snaronikar : 5th April 2008 at 17:47.
Old 5th April 2008, 18:27   #19
BHPian

looks like most of the drivers trying to smile are from bangalore.. including me.

everyday start the vehicle with a resolution not to honk (too much that is) and to drive sober, which i generally do, but things turn bad at the first turn on the road itself many a times, absolute no driving sense in people here, everyone tries to get to his destination fastest and ultimately ensures neither he nor anyone reached in time.

the right of way is very strictly followed in hill regions, everyone knows that he will have to climb too.. hehe same goes for drivers on the right who can't watch their left side, the driver on the left must give way to the one on the right, period.
overtaking from the left is considered bad manners as well as honking in the north eastern region, mostly hills, people show respect and get in return too, a single errant driver can't hope to go very far.
aburagohain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 18:50   #20
BHPian

Smiling on the road is fine, but the smile in Delhi fades away when you don't get any parking space.
susan3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 22:16   #21
BHPian

I dont know about smiling, but here is what I do. The volume on my ICE is directly proportional to the traffic. When I am in a big jam, then it is high volume music and I sing along at the top of my voice. I also do some shaking of the head (Mr. Bean Style ) and when I glance at the car next to me I grin continuing to shake my head, sing and drum the steering wheel.

Nobody has intercepted me yet. I guess they are numb with shock.

Cheers,

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 23:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I dont know about smiling, but here is what I do. The volume on my ICE is directly proportional to the traffic. When I am in a big jam, then it is high volume music and I sing along at the top of my voice. I also do some shaking of the head (Mr. Bean Style ) and when I glance at the car next to me I grin continuing to shake my head, sing and drum the steering wheel.

Cheers,

Rajan
I do the same, but usually when people in the car next to me stare, i open the passengers window and sing even louder directly to the staring people they'll still be staring, but with their mouths open......
i can reccomend this procedure to everyone!

i only get annoyed when people drive slower than they are allowed, i mean COME ON, pedal to the metal people!!!!!
KimRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2008, 13:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Rajan
I do the same thing whenever I'am in happier moments. Otherwise, I keep cursing & swearing on the other drivers especially autos and buses due to frustration.
Old 7th April 2008, 10:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Thats an interesting point about darjeeling!
Its kind of similar to when you wave at someone out at sea

I think you meant :
Importance and right of way to a ascending vehicle!!!

cya
R

@ Rehaan, I meant Descending vehicle itself!!! The drivers of the ascending vehicles actually stop for vehicles coming down!!!

It is because descending vehicles cannot take a reverse, if it is blocked by an ascending vehicle on a narrow road. Hence ascending vehicles sometimes stop at the foot of a curve and let the descending vehicle pass, before continuing their upward journey!!!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 11:09   #25
Team-BHP Support

The vehicle going upwards has the right of way.
This is what is practiced worldwide, written on signboards and the law.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 11:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,

Rajan
Guess no one wants to mess you a very 'cheerful' person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I think you meant :
Importance and right of way to a ascending vehicle!!!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
@ Rehaan, I meant Descending vehicle itself!!! The drivers of the ascending vehicles actually stop for vehicles coming down!!!

It is because descending vehicles cannot take a reverse, if it is blocked by an ascending vehicle on a narrow road. Hence ascending vehicles sometimes stop at the foot of a curve and let the descending vehicle pass, before continuing their upward journey!!!
Chevy_lover - the vehicles going up has the right of way and not the other way around. The vehicles coming down are supposed to stop on sharp curves and allow the ones coming up do the curve first instead of boxing up on the curve and then go about reversing and all.
It is more difficult to pull up than to slid down.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 7th April 2008 at 11:24.
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 11:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Guess no one wants to mess you a very 'cheerful' person!

Chevy_lover - the vehicles going up has the right of way and not the other way around. The vehicles coming down are supposed to stop on sharp curves and allow the ones coming up do the curve first instead of boxing up on the curve and then go about reversing and all.
It is more difficult to pull up than to slid down.
Yes HappyWheels, that is the rule and I also follow it.

What I meant to say is that those drivers in Darjeeling are so peaceful and helpful that even a vehicle going up will stop for a vehilce coming down-hill! That is co-operation at its best!

I experienced it first hand, when the maruti omni, we rented, stopped for a Bolero coming down hill. My driver started climbing a very narrow hairpin, only after the Bolero completed the turn!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 17:10   #28
BHPian

Default Darjeeling and Sikkim

Yes -

The people are genuinly friendly. Add to it the clean pine air, the amazing cool of the Himalays, the occasional view of the Kanchanjonga, or the toy train, the winding splashing river - or the Border Roads Org's hilarious messages - naturally the heart smiles - and warmly at that.

Its the place where most of the driving rules are followed. I learnt a lot just by observing these guys.

RD
rahuldeodhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 23:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuldeodhar View Post
Yes -

The people are genuinly friendly. Add to it the clean pine air, the amazing cool of the Himalays, the occasional view of the Kanchanjonga, or the toy train, the winding splashing river - or the Border Roads Org's hilarious messages - naturally the heart smiles - and warmly at that.

Its the place where most of the driving rules are followed. I learnt a lot just by observing these guys.
You just made me imagine what heaven on earth would be like.
Just made my sweet dreams before i sleep with the awesome description. Thanks
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 18:25   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
How much I smile is inversely proportional to the number of ricks around me.
I fully agree with that
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote