300-400 46 8.95%
400-500 38 7.39%
500-600 54 10.51%
600-700 53 10.31%
700-800 51 9.92%
800 and above (Please specify) 178 34.63%
Voters: 514. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th April 2008, 17:43   #31

had driven from vijayawada to bangalore 680 km nonstop with i hr break.music and loud singing to break monotony.realised that i tend to loose concentration and try to spped up with only reach point in mind. i request all bhp ians to drive carefully on solo journeys as surveys show drivers tend to over speed.
nischalreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2008, 17:47   #32
BHPian

Did the 1300+ (2000+ kms) miles from Seattle to San Diego in March this year.Covered the distance over 3 1/2 days. Halted overnight in Oregon and California. Some amazing scenery throughout especially in southern Washington and Oregon.

My poor Yaris was loaded to the gills but didn't utter any sighs or cries throughout the trip.

Given a chance, I would not hesitate to do this trip again, albeit in a more powerful car.

Last edited by rev_hard : 6th April 2008 at 17:48.
rev_hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2008, 19:43   #33
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Damn! I thought this was a thread about how long i drove without a break.i voted wrong. did a round trip to madurai and back via trivandrum (from cochin) think i did 1200-1400, not sure. but had a 6 hr break for sleep at nagercoil.

I prefer driving alone

I like driving in convoys, but would like to have the car to myself on a long trip.

I hate it if people in the car keep telling me to slow down. i rarely go over 100kmph anyway.

Last edited by rippergeo : 6th April 2008 at 19:46.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2008, 19:45   #34
BHPian

Well my dad has done Cochin to Punjab and back, alone on his Lancer LE Diesel and once on our previous Honda city cvt as well...I donno how many kms that exactly is, but in the range of 1500 I suppose?? He loves driving alone too!

Last edited by Torqueguru : 6th April 2008 at 19:46.
Torqueguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 02:29   #35
BHPian

pondicherry - coimbatore - ernakulam - trivandrum - return in 3 days.
one way kms = 800 kms in 16 hours time with dinner,tea,breakfast breaks - night driving.
shekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 09:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

I have a wife you likes long drives so atleast till now I have never done SOLO drives. My only SOLO drive which I am doing right now is Home - office - Home (50km) every week day.

But as Solo driver I have done Blr - Kol - Blr (4000km), my longest trip so far on car.

For me it doesnt matter whether I am alone or with someone as I hardly talk while driving. I enjoy the humming engine noise and the music in the long drives.

Do I qualify myself to Poll?

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 10:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

Max was Delhi-Parwanoo-Delhi and once it was Dehradun-Karnal-Kaithal-Karnal-Dehradun, both runs in a Zen and on the same day. Did Delhi-Ambala-Panchkula-Delhi in Indigo Marina. Did Joshimath-Dehradun on an Enfield. Have done a lot of 400 Kms sojourns on my enfiled where i just used to drive around Grahwal Himalayas without any destination and often ended up in some remote corner for the night and traced my route back to dehradun the next day.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 10:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

Well the max i have done alone is the mumbai - puttaparthi(A.P.) - mumbai - 2200kms in 4 days(less than 32 driving hours). I was the only driver but my family was with me in my OHC Vtec.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 14th October 2008 at 10:56.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:48   #39
BHPian

Default SOLO LONG DRIVES - Maximum distance traveled

Chennai - Bengaluru - Kurnool - Guntur - Vijaywada - Visakhapatnam - Bhubaneswar - Kolkata

Yahoo Maps says it's about 2281; surprised me, because all these years, I had thought it was a round 2000 kms.

Some clarifications.

@surprise

You had asked for incidental information about routes, stops, and so on. I'm afraid I can't contribute anything useful. This was in January 1985.
  1. This was a forced route; Chennai to Nellore was down, thanks to a cyclone;
  2. It wasn't solo, in the sense of being alone in the car. I carried along a confident-looking character and told my unsuspecting in-laws in Bangalore that he was a trained driver and an expert mechanic. He was my neighbour's house servant, lent to me to add local colour.
  3. It wasn't non-stop. I stopped overnight at Bangalore, packed in some odds and ends for the new house in Calcutta. Thereafter, I stopped at Vijaywada (very smelly, small, beat-up lodge-u; things have improved markedly since), and at Bhubaneswar (much nicer, thank you very much).
  4. It wasn't at high speed. I was driving an Ambassador.
  5. It wasn't enjoyable. The roads were pathetic. At one stage, just a few kilometres short of Guntur, it all became brick-top - I hadn't been on stuff like that before, and it was fate playing a massive practical joke on me, because after reaching Calcutta, work frequently took me to Howrah. On those expeditions, a Force Motors Gurkha, with or without support from some of the genuine off-roading champs on the forum, would have sat back on its haunches and wept.
  6. Point 5 is an exaggeration for effect and a lie. There were moments in the very early morning, when even sweeping down those narrow, pot-holed pre-Khanduri roads, it was too beautiful for words. There's a stretch after Vizag which is heaven; sea on one side, forest and mountainside on the other.
  7. I would hate to do it again in the same car. Chennai to Bangalore to Mercara to Mangalore (711 kms.) and back was beautiful, much nicer, although it severely affected my right knee, coming down the mountains from Puttur. Heck, even Bangalore to Hubli to Panaji was good, in fact, done in a smooth, well-functioning Maruti 800, it was bliss after years of older technology, like the Ambassador (notice my carefully avoiding mentioning the F word).
  8. I would love to do this and more in my Palio; if only I could get it back. Or the Ford Ikon. <sigh>
bonobashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 15:36   #40
BHPian

Till date longest solo drive for me is Hyderabad - Durg -Hyderabad in Feb 2005. Distance was approximately 1500 kms round trip. Done in 3 days including a 1 day break at my sister's place in Durg.

Mode of transport was my RE Machismo.

Infact the stretch listed below is one of the best route travelled by me.

Mul -> Garhchiroli -> Boria Tibhu -> Kusumkasa -> Balod -> Durg.

Attaching a pic taken near Balod

Regards,
Rajat
Attached Thumbnails
SOLO LONG DRIVES - Maximum distance traveled-balod.jpg  

rajatmakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 16:09   #41
BHPian

Solo trip of mine was from Cochin - Coimbatore - Salem - Chennai - Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore. It was back in 2006, I had to run around places as work demanded. It was a Zen Di and it was fun...

Cheers,
Jai
nevertouchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 16:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Last week i drove down to bangalore from alleppey.reached there in almost 11 hrs and then after a day went to mysore and then back to alleppey.11 hrs of driving is dangerous (my personal opinion).Best adviced distance in one shot maybe 300-400 kms a day.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 17:06   #43
BANNED

187 kms a day alone in my DICOR , Why? To get my granpa's lost LUNA back from Tumkur.

I did- Bangalore local - 45 kms to Tumkur - 62 kms - Back to Bangalore and local travel- 80 kms.

It was not boring becoz of the purpose for which i went.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 01:18   #44
BHPian

900 miles.. Upper Penisula to Chicago and back...
In a 1991 Accors with 298000 miles on the odo..

Boy it was eventful.. Missing tolls. Blown alternator.. That too 50 miles from home..
Drained the battery and recharged it from a local redneck's house.
The rednect d/c the headlights telling that it would impede my range on the battery,
But one thing which wasn't factored was the fog rolling in.

REconncted the headlights in pitch darkness.. Somehow made it home.
But still it was worth it.
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 01:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Nova Scotia, Canada all the way to Gainesville, Georgia. Distance : 1730 miles. Time : 28 hrs (approx). Just me, my music and my Maxima!
Wish I could do it all over again sometime...
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote