Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 7th April 2008, 19:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@RJ: You again escalated the issue. Again same koshun - if you were in their side of the pond??
If I were on the other side of the pond ? LOL I have some common sense coupled with road sense which some of these retards lack.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 19:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The guy in the Na indica is tsk1979
He floors the pedal in "Neutral".
By the time the soot gets out of your eyes, the light would have turned to green and red again
haha..thats funny,Tanveer! Must try it out the next time I visit India.

There are some people who think they own the road. I've seen this especially in the South,where these heroes on their TVS50s ride at 30kmph in the middle of the road.They probably feel protected,as they ride this way in a village area,and if anything were to happen,they'd have enough support to get their way out easily.

Every trip that I've done,I'd had such experiences. My dad used to just shout out and get the guy to move aside,I'd just wait for my chance and make my way through. Not worth contributing to the noise pollution any way,so rather keep my cool & find a way out.I can't put sense into those morons,but I can use some sense & handle the situation.
cheers:
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 19:09   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
I simply dont understand their logic of squeezing into every possible gap. They think they are smart. Lot of non-fatal unreported accidents happen mainly because of this behviour. I can understand them squeezing between two vehicles in a signal when the vehicles are stationary. But when the vehicles are moving?
Put yourself in a Volvo's shoes, or a Tata 1610 Turbo's shoes (empty!) and think of most average cars, and then honestly ask yourself the question.

remember, they stay within the typical speed limits normally

@tsk: oops man!

Last edited by phamilyman : 7th April 2008 at 19:11.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 19:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

GD Bhai - Fantastic

My friend has a habit ( Diesel Car ) of getting ahead of these morons who do not give side, revving the engine up and giving them thick black smoke.

I have this wierd habit of overtaking morons like these, and then go reaaallll slow ( I mean real slow ) and then not letting them overtake me. After a minute or so, roll down my window , show them the middle finger ( as if they know what it means !! ) and then take off. Gives me full satisfaction because I have not caused any injuries, but I have irritated them to the max.

Here is a small example -

A few days back I had this really bad Bus driver who was driving like a maniac, all over the place on Agra - Delhi ( NH2 ). Near Kosi, I overtook him , he was upset on this and floored the bus, god knows what is happening to the poor people inside. This continued for 10 minutes and the Bus driver just wanted to run me over. He was no match for my Accent ( 120 kph + ), I thought of doing something unthinkable, but I tried it anyway. About 15 kms later, the bus was no where in sight, probably 2 - 3 minutes away ( behind me ), I suddenly saw a Police Jeep ( 6 Haryanvi Cops ) sitting on the side before Palwal. I stopped and got down, these guys kept sitting, I told them the whole thing and demanded ( I mean I really demanded !!! ) them to stop the bus the moment it comes, give the driver a really good one and do whatever is necessary. Now comes the surprising bit - they said do they want me to register a complaint ( I said No as it would take time and my wife was waiting in the car ). I said as a good citizen I just want the moron to drive carefully and not run over someone. They smiled at me and I stood near the car having a smoke. The bus appeared at full speed, 3 cops stood in the middle of the road and told him to park the bus. I had an eye to eye with the driver ( showed him my middle finger again ), shouted a thanks to the main cop ( he smiled back ), and I was off. I cannot explain the satisfaction I had. My wifey said '' How the hell did you think of this one ''. I said I don't know why But did it anycase.

Moral of the story - If you guys witness something of this sort, don't hesitate to inform the police. Do it, it's your right to do this. And don't worry - the police is going to be more than happy listening to you ( they probably make an extra buck ).

Cheers !!
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 19:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
And don't worry - the police is going to be more than happy listening to you ( they probably make an extra buck ).
You said it!! BTW, just remember one thing - if the bus / truck driver manages to dent you, and insists on taking you to police, (possible with privately owned buses - like in Kerala. Several such buses are owner driven - especially in small cities) you would be stranded.

BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 19:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

vkochar,thats a good thing you did. Always good to involve the cops,though it has its own element of risk. Can't guess if they'd flip sides,and point a finger at you,but its probably something to try out. There are a bunch of honest cops,and some of these guys wait to get a chance to thrash people who do wrong.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 21:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
vkochar,thats a good thing you did. Always good to involve the cops,though it has its own element of risk. Can't guess if they'd flip sides,and point a finger at you,but its probably something to try out. There are a bunch of honest cops,and some of these guys wait to get a chance to thrash people who do wrong.
Yes, I know there are risks BUT in my scenario what can the risk really be ??

I did not do anything, I have not run somebody over, It is just a complaint !! Isn't it ?? So I feel this is one thing we people in India should try doing. Even the cops are going to thank you. You see, when an accident actually happens, it is the cops who take the worst hit - managing the traffic, clearing the mess, and then handling the mob, the last thing cops need on the highway is a Bus running over people and then a mob damaging property !!

@Backseat driver - I do not know about Kerala, here in N. INdia, Buses are driven only be drivers.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 22:38   #23
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I do not know about Kerala, here in N. INdia, Buses are driven only be drivers.
That i partially disagree with. But sometimes buses are driven by donkeys, monkeys and 2 legged chimpazees with absolute disregard and disrespect for human life. It seems they are out there to repay the human race for crimes committed against them in some previous birth.

Also, sometimes buses are also driven by Yamadoots. If you happen to be in delhi and are within 100 mtrs of a blueline, you will get visions of hell and will have a near-death experience.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 23:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Not that others who are members here love their ride less but somehow I do more. Call me insane or a loony, I once chased my younger brother around the block with a screwdriver in hand for tying his shoelaces on the leg-guard of my Bullet and in the process soiling it with his dirty sneakers. The fact that he had a pair of legs faster than mine probably saved him.

I love to keep my rides shining and clean. God forbid, if someone tries or takes a deliberate swipe at it. That's what that moron of the biker did and suffered. Road-rage? This term wasn't prevalent then and I didn't suffer guilt pangs then and not the least now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
classic case of road rage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

Sounds like what I would have done.
Yeah,its also called "Road rage,blah blah" too.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 23:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

@rjstyles69: "nanige gottu nimge yavthara feel aayatu". Sorry for this strange language. Kannadigas will understand. What I meant was I know how you felt. I too would have felt the same if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I just missed ramming 2 imbeciles today.This happened at SadashivNagar signal bang' opp' the police station. Signal was green and 2 dudes were ahead of me on a bike.For no reason he brakes and I had to slam the brakes so hard that the car screeched.

To my amusement, the dude has the adocity to abuse me in Kannada, though it was his mistake.The traffic cops walks up and plays the role of the good Samaritan asking the fool on the bike to let go of me. I gave him my mouthful right in front of the traffic cop and thats when they realized I was a localite.
I generally let go of such incidents and never care a hoot for these retards, but today it was different.

When I started abusing them back in Kannada with the best of words I could use, they are on their heels now. Start their bike and take off.
I dint want to let them go scott free, I drove ahead and caught up with them on the stretch between Mekhri circle and SadashivNagar Police Station.

Cornered them twice towards the footpath. Eventually they stopped their bike and waited for me drive off. I knew I was wrong , but you know sometimes it gets on to you which exactly was my case.
Old 7th April 2008, 23:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

@phamilyman: When this happened, mobiles were not in vogue, i.e., no one had even heard of it. Secondly, traffic was not as crazy as it is today. Thirdly, in those days people driving 4 wheelers were treated with respect and awe by the bikers..

Having said that, if it were today, probably I wouldn't have reacted the way I did then. Years mellow you down. And God forbid if I ever do with you when you are near your village...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@gd saab: Road rage is mutual. You were plainly lucky that he neither had friends following, nor were you near his village. Else there could've been bricks through your windshield/been chased by 3 of such fellows or their friends in jeeps, or be hauled away by police for man slaughter/cause to murder. Your anger does not give you a right to play God. You wouldn't have attempted the same "stunt" with a truckie, wouldja? Or a sumo full of maya bhenjis' boys with flags waving?
Old 7th April 2008, 23:30   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Fortunately not much traffic was there and I just squeezed past him from the right side and then swung the steering hard left. There was a thud and then I don't what happened and I didn't care. Maybe I shouldn't have done that, but uncontrollable rage probably clouded my senses..
What, seriously? IMO that's never ever worth it.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 23:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

I, do now agree with you on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
IMO that's never ever worth it.
Old 7th April 2008, 23:36   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I just missed ramming 2 imbeciles today.
That happens quite often. Unfortunately that happened to me when a fellow stopped dead in the middle of the road and waved towards someone standing at the gate of some building which I wudn't usually give a damn about, except that it had a political party board, therefore it wudn't have mattered if I was right or wrong had I hit the guy. So, inspite of being a marathi manoos, I scooted. Really annoying.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 10:08   #30
BHPian

Like someone's signature says, people slower than you are stupid and people faster than you are crazy. While I am driving, that applies to me too. But if and when I actually realise that I am getting furious about a stupid nitwit who probably doesn't even know the basic traffic rules, I turn up the music and if something thumpy is playing, change to a soothing track and by that time I have settled down again, the idiot is gone and I can drive happily again.
Of course, that is not a daily occurence and often I do get worked up. But I have come to realise that however irritating the other road users are, I would be doing myself more damage, in terms of BP and health, by trying to teach everyone a lesson. So, I try to smile at the oaf and relax. So much better than getting a scratch on my car in trying to give one back.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote