Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 15th April 2008, 13:58   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
...Sure join my company. You definately will not regret. You know what I mean. ...
you have a great place of work! Would love to volunteer for any upcoming 'testing'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Funny how this thread has progressed - An IT gets attacked by rowdy gang. After hundreds of posts, the blame is now on IT profession
Man, I had a very good laugh! So true.

Getting back to topic, yesterday night while going back home, came face-to-face with a company transport vehicle. He was trying to overtake a bus which which was on its stop. Even before he actually turned out of his track and into my track, I had flashed my light which should have stopped him. But no, he expected me to stop. So there we were, me bang in front of him and both of us on the road.

Gestured him to get back since I do not plan to go back. And for him to get back on his track he should back up a bit. (Also noticed that this guy actually rides for the company I work for).

The cleaner comes down to argue. I open the window. He comes to my side and start saying something (can't you see a vehicle, blah blah), I ignored that and when he stopped I asked him for the drivers name and the route number.

Change of stand - he starts saying sorry and he did it because of the need to go back fast. (He also noticed the tag on my neck!).

He does not wait for anything else, runs to the bus and asks the driver to reverse and go and bingo they are gone.

Did not leave it at that, got in touch with my company transport in charge and saw to it that the issue has been taken up with the transport provider.

Do not know how much of effect it will have, but am sure that next time he tried to do such an act he will think twice.
Old 15th April 2008, 14:11   #152
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of an article in New York times yesterday that most young chinese hate the Tibetans. The reason - young chinese are benefitting from rising china and they don't understand the plight of Tibetans.

Could there be something similar in India. We all defend our professions and think we are doing a great service to this country. We are not seeing the worse affected people.

Might be OT but couldn't help think it aloud since there were lot of OT statements about this.
Old 15th April 2008, 14:19   #153
BHPian

From my personal experience, it is always advisable to carry something for self defence, a pepper spray under the driver seat or you get those devices which can transmit electric shock (dont know the right word)

And pls never get into quarrel when you have a lady or children in your car. And donot get down with the keys in the car.
Old 15th April 2008, 14:32   #154
BHPian

@HappyWheels - I think thats the right stand taken, in this case you were able to figure out the bus was contracted by the firm you work in. There are so many of these plying on the road without any sticker or company reference. I once found a very rash driven Sumo and was bulldozing his way. I tried to contact the no given on the car (in case of rash driving, please contact etc. etc.). For my surprise there was nobody to answer the call. I tried a few times next day too. Unfortunately i could not figure out the firm which has contracted the vehicle.

Coming back to the topic of rowdies, i think Alok (who started this thread) was very wise in controlling the situation. Let's all agree to disagree. We are no super naturals or to say the very least mortals who can engage in fights and battles. The city is inflicted of such people who want to take the easy route of making money and want to show their poweress. Moreover with elections round the corner lot of these elements are get support from local leaders (called party workers) or protected by political parties and also have their own connection with the law. Its wise to stay away as long as no harm has been affected to self. I would say the other option is to give this story to the press with anonymity.
Old 15th April 2008, 19:33   #155
Senior - BHPian

What is going on here? Some of the posts are similar to the excuse you hear often - Girls get molested because of the kind of clothes they wear!!

Replace a few words in the post above, and we can turn ANY victim of violence into a villain who rightly deserve what he/she got!!
Old 15th April 2008, 19:47   #156
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Thank god you are safe. What you did is totally sensible. I can't imagine to put myself in your place. I am all but 5ft 5 inches.
Old 15th April 2008, 20:05   #157
Senior - BHPian

Don't think this will go OT,but its definitely a good idea for everyone to have some training in martial arts. You never know when it'll come in handy. Especially in a situation where you need to think quickly & defend yourself. I've seen than happen many times with acquaintances who happen to be fairly well versed in some form of martial arts,and they've been able to walk away from a situation without any harm being inflicted by the goons/other party involved..
Old 15th April 2008, 22:17   #158
LLL
BHPian

Just read news about T V Mohandas Pai complaining about Infy and IT sector getting step motherly treatment in karnataka and by central govt.

With all the power and prestige that Infy commands, they should threaten to move out of karnataka lock, stock and barrell. Karnataka govt will come to its knees in a day and all the rowdies, autowallas who target IT professionals will be starved for even 2 square meals.
Old 15th April 2008, 23:36   #159
BANNED

It is definitely going out of control. I am a localite here and have been seeing how the once gentle and calm city has turned out to be ugly and goondaish. The city has changed beyond repair and is going to the dogs. It used to be a pleasant place with mild mannered city dwellers and green spaces abounding but sigh..
Yes as some of you have been observing there is certainly an element of the economic divide creating unrest and discord among people. Unfortunately the masses are too ignorant and stupid to realize that they are all benefited from the thriving job market and influx of labour. They mistakenly blame the non-karnataka people for all their woes.
I have observed that most people coming from outside who make bangalore their home never make an effort to learn the local language; even the bare minimum skills, why? If they would make a negligible effort in getting some language basics right it will go a long way in avoiding some of the inconvenient and uncomfortable mess we get in every now and then.
The traffic deadlock and pollution in bangalore is killing the city slowly and will not be long before it ranks as the least desirable place in the country to make a living.

And please make a point of lodging a complaint at the nearest police station every time, I repeat, every time you get into such nasty situations. Our casual- Be safe and hamko kya lena dena attitude is making this country fit for thugs and goons. Go that extra step and register a complaint, yes it's a pain but if you are a concerned citizen you will do it.
zaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2008, 23:41   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Just read news about T V Mohandas Pai complaining about Infy and IT sector getting step motherly treatment in karnataka and by central govt.

With all the power and prestige that Infy commands, they should threaten to move out of karnataka lock, stock and barrell. Karnataka govt will come to its knees in a day and all the rowdies, autowallas who target IT professionals will be starved for even 2 square meals.
I doubt it will happen since there are many more IT companies in Bangalore.
Old 15th April 2008, 23:59   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
It is definitely going out of control. I am a localite here and have been seeing how the once gentle and calm city has turned out to be ugly and goondaish. The city has changed beyond repair and is going to the dogs. It used to be a pleasant place with mild mannered city dwellers and green spaces abounding but sigh..
Yes as some of you have been observing there is certainly an element of the economic divide creating unrest and discord among people. Unfortunately the masses are too ignorant and stupid to realize that they are all benefited from the thriving job market and influx of labour. They mistakenly blame the non-karnataka people for all their woes.
I have observed that most people coming from outside who make bangalore their home never make an effort to learn the local language; even the bare minimum skills, why? If they would make a negligible effort in getting some language basics right it will go a long way in avoiding some of the inconvenient and uncomfortable mess we get in every now and then.
The traffic deadlock and pollution in bangalore is killing the city slowly and will not be long before it ranks as the least desirable place in the country to make a living.

And please make a point of lodging a complaint at the nearest police station every time, I repeat, every time you get into such nasty situations. Our casual- Be safe and hamko kya lena dena attitude is making this country fit for thugs and goons. Go that extra step and register a complaint, yes it's a pain but if you are a concerned citizen you will do it.
Hi Zaks,
Even though Iam here for the past 8 years,I cannot speak fluent kannada reason all people speak TAMIL . But I can understand.Going by the scene Me and My wife wanted to take up weakend spoken kannada classes.can some one suggest where we can learn in and around koramangala or HSR layout.
Old 16th April 2008, 00:12   #162
BHPian

I feel the same about Telugu. Some how everyone in Bangalore seem to understand and most speak it as well. Especially in the Marathalli area.
Old 16th April 2008, 07:26   #163
BHPian

The very fact that so many are willing to turn up to burn and riot for Rajkumar/kannada etc., shows there are many that are left out of this boom and are willing to extract their revenge or show they are still in control. Corrupt politicians ensure this is the only way their voices are heard.

Problem exists everywhere in India but Bangalore is special. It is collapsing under its own weight. Its decline is assured. India will face tough challenge from others in IT field, Bang will face even more from other Indian cities.
Old 16th April 2008, 08:04   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
And please make a point of lodging a complaint at the nearest police station every time, I repeat, every time you get into such nasty situations.
As you could see from my previous post, i did exactly this. But they didnt even register it... only some minimal formality for insurance claim and then "we will try to trace the vehicle sir..." reply
Quote:
Our casual- Be safe and hamko kya lena dena attitude is making this country fit for thugs and goons. Go that extra step and register a complaint, yes it's a pain but if you are a concerned citizen you will do it.
I totally agree with this. If people living in a city has no civic sense then that city will go for dumps. And in this case, the immigrant population is lot more to blame. They are like get up in morning go to office, go back to apartment, shut the door. Most of these people(not all maybe) civic sense goes only upto the gated community they live in. Thats about it. Heck, i don't even have a voter id.
Old 16th April 2008, 09:15   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
The very fact that so many are willing to turn up to burn and riot for Rajkumar/kannada etc., shows there are many that are left out of this boom and are willing to extract their revenge or show they are still in control. Corrupt politicians ensure this is the only way their voices are heard.

Problem exists everywhere in India but Bangalore is special. It is collapsing under its own weight. Its decline is assured. India will face tough challenge from others in IT field, Bang will face even more from other Indian cities.
ggkg, you said it, I totally agree with your point. Though Bangalore has(had) only the 'climate' advantage and it is geographically placed in a good location (easy access from 3 southern states), many of the 'phoerign' people has still this misconception that Bangalore is the only place good for off shoring in India. I think this perception is slowly changing among them nowadays.

Some of our clients who visited us recently from abroad said that they'd never ever like to come to Bangalore again, after seeing the present condition of the 'city'.

On the other hand, I'd never ever like to stay in their cold-boring-depressing winter countries as well. For me India is the best place for living.

Last edited by clevermax : 16th April 2008 at 09:20.
Closed Thread