Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 11:49   #136
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,971
Thanked: 3,388 Times
Default

My relative who stayed in a nearby layout used to fear the stray dog menace when he used to return home late from work, specially since he was on a bike. There were times when he used to take his car to work if he knew he was going to be late in returning.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 12:53   #137
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

A dog is an animal.

It will attack for some of these reasons:

To potect itself if it thinks its threatened.
For food.
For territory.
Natural Born Enemies (A Human throwing stones is an Enemy).

A dog is also a domesticated animal, its not wild (Wild Dogs stay in the wild). Hope everyone understands what domesticated is.

Dogs have been staying with humans because humans wanted them to, not because they wanted to. They are dependent upon us to stay alive. Their instincts for food are not developed to adapt to the wild. They will scavange and beg for food and if the hunger is unbeareable attack for it - pure survival instinct.

But its also an animal, one that is used to live and hunt in packs. The wild for it is our streets. The small lanes and bylanes are its territory.

It knows there is a superior much more powerful animal then them - Man. It understands and accepts that. They also fear them. They also know they are outnumbered by man and will not attack when there are too many of them around and flee instead.

Street corners or an abondoned plot, where un civilised humans throw their waste is a source of food for them. Its their territory, a kid whose ball falls in this area is an intruder for them. Its competition for their food. They dont realise the kid has come to retrieve it's ball. They will attack. They are not humans.

We can think and understand whats wrong and right. For them its survival.

Attacks at nights on lone scooterists, cyclists and pedestrains are nothing but a group effort to protect its territory, when in a pack they have strength in numbers and can take on a superior animal - a human here.

The dogs do not attack as per sex, religion, colour, which state he/she is from, what financial status, who the father of the person is, etc. They attack because they are wired to do that. Not because they derive pleasure from it or any other gain other then protecting themselves and their kind from the other beings.

They were brought to our cities by us. No dog will attack if it has enough to eat and place to rest. It will look at humans as protectors if they get what is requred from them.

This stray menace has been created by us Humans. Why should the stray pay for it, that too with his life?

Its only mistake is that it follows its natural instinct.

I have been attacked numerous times by strays.

I have also being attacked by humans.

But i never retaliate against dogs.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 12:57   #138
BHPian
 
RP_812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 128
Thanked: Once
Default

This is the most common thing in Bangalore and it is really a pain ,especially if you are on a Bike or walking.
Any dog which bites should be taken down , my personal view since my dad also nearly got bitten as well that too on a road that he has been walking on for the past 30+ years. He was bringing some eatables and the dog pounced on him and took the packet from my dad.
I think more than once when walking out on my own.

I believe once there was a proposition to put the dogs down and there were some environmentalists who opposed it, this went to court. Some MLA or some dude in the Govt there asked all the environmentalists who would be ready to take the street dogs home and 2 out of 200+ activists raised their hands.

This shows that people actually dont believe in what they stand for.
RP_812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 14:49   #139
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,735
Thanked: 219 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My God, that picture tore my heart out. It is still etched in my mind and I remember it every time I see a stray on the road.
Absolutely shocking to hear about this incident Gansan. The authorities have to make sure this menace is put to an end at the earliest, lest more such incidents happen.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 14:57   #140
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
The authorities have to make sure this menace is put to an end at the earliest, lest more such incidents happen.
Appreciate your concern brah!
The 'authorities' will act when one of their near and dear ones lands in a cage after a rabid dog has chewed off their behinds
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 15:10   #141
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,547
Thanked: 7,603 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
A dog is an animal....

....I have also being attacked by humans.

But i never retaliate against dogs.
That was perfectly put, I do hope more people will take time out to carefully read, reason, and understand this post. We are supposed to be the smarter animal after all.

We have on our part adopted around 10 strays so far (from the streets), they have proved to be the most loyal, loving and faithful companions.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 15:13   #142
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Raccoon,
But, just because you have not been attacked, saying that all the others who have been attacked was because of "human stupidity" is not justified.

Think about it, just because it has not happened to you, doesn't mean that it cannot happen to anyone else

Cheers,
gpa
I was actually reffering only to a specific case - people having serious acidents when being chased by dogs. And yes, I have seen this happening to people I know too.

Reminds me, there was this college mate who was once going late night thru an area where street doggies used to chase vehicles. Now the funny thing is I must have gone thru that area zillion times on bike/car/foot/whatever; without getting remotely close to an accident. But this dude, when he started being chased, accelerated big time and in the process went thru a speed braker and into a ditch or something. Next place he landed into was an ICU.

Now what should I make of this? I felt sorry for him... but I can only say it was his own stupidity. If I were him, I'd have made a world record getting admitted into ICUs. Or maybe I wouldn't be lurking around here typing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I am a dog lover. There always was a dog in our home right from my childhood and we discontinued only after moving to an apartment. But I firmly believe strays are a menace. Incidents of children being attacked and mauled by them is not uncommon. If one sees the photos of these hapless little ones, it will change their hearts. I am all for exterminating the strays and don't believe in just sterilizing them and leaving them back on the streets. When it comes to the "man or dog" situation, it will always be the man for me and the dog be damned! As for the voluble section for whom it is fashionable to support the strays, well my suggestion would be to round up 40 or 50 strays, release them inside their premises and walk off after closing the gate! This is certain to cure them of their affliction!

Last year there was a front page photo in a news paper. It showed a 11 year old boy affected by rabies. The scene was the Madurai GH isolation ward. He had apparently been bitten by a stray a while back and being poor people they did not take it very seriously. He was brought to the hospital when he suddenly became very sick, where the Doctors diagnosed full blown rabies. They gave him less than 48 hours to live and put him in an iron cage to spend his last hours. The picture showed the boy sitting stonily inside the cage, and his inconsolable mother reaching out to wistfully touch and pat him (against Doctor's advise) through the bars of the cage.

My God, that picture tore my heart out. It is still etched in my mind and I remember it every time I see a stray on the road.
All I can say is that you should at least be honest and not call yourself a dog lover.

Reading all the stuff about kids getting attacked by dogs, I can only say this - every single time I'v seen its the kids that are somehow harassing or mistreating the strays. And when the dogs retaliate, they are instantly branded as evil. As a kid I have played with all kids of dogs and other animals. Not a single one of them has made a scratch on me.

So before blaming the poor dogs who cannnot even verbally defend themselves, it would be useful if whole picture is seen. I'm sure you will see that at least 99% of the times its the human thats harrassing the dog and then crying foul. In fact, when kids are involved, I would place the blame squarely on the parents... as you can still excuse kids for not knowing how to conduct themselves.

That said, I'm not talking about rabid dogs. Both, humans and the poor dog itself can be a victim of rabies and steps can be taken to eradicate this deadly disease. But then again this is just part of a much larger problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
A dog is an animal.

It will attack for some of these reasons:

To potect itself if it thinks its threatened.
For food.
For territory.
Natural Born Enemies (A Human throwing stones is an Enemy).

A dog is also a domesticated animal, its not wild (Wild Dogs stay in the wild). Hope everyone understands what domesticated is.

Dogs have been staying with humans because humans wanted them to, not because they wanted to. They are dependent upon us to stay alive. Their instincts for food are not developed to adapt to the wild. They will scavange and beg for food and if the hunger is unbeareable attack for it - pure survival instinct.

But its also an animal, one that is used to live and hunt in packs. The wild for it is our streets. The small lanes and bylanes are its territory.

It knows there is a superior much more powerful animal then them - Man. It understands and accepts that. They also fear them. They also know they are outnumbered by man and will not attack when there are too many of them around and flee instead.

Street corners or an abondoned plot, where un civilised humans throw their waste is a source of food for them. Its their territory, a kid whose ball falls in this area is an intruder for them. Its competition for their food. They dont realise the kid has come to retrieve it's ball. They will attack. They are not humans.

We can think and understand whats wrong and right. For them its survival.

Attacks at nights on lone scooterists, cyclists and pedestrains are nothing but a group effort to protect its territory, when in a pack they have strength in numbers and can take on a superior animal - a human here.

The dogs do not attack as per sex, religion, colour, which state he/she is from, what financial status, who the father of the person is, etc. They attack because they are wired to do that. Not because they derive pleasure from it or any other gain other then protecting themselves and their kind from the other beings.

They were brought to our cities by us. No dog will attack if it has enough to eat and place to rest. It will look at humans as protectors if they get what is requred from them.

This stray menace has been created by us Humans. Why should the stray pay for it, that too with his life?

Its only mistake is that it follows its natural instinct.

I have been attacked numerous times by strays.

I have also being attacked by humans.

But i never retaliate against dogs.
There are some statements which I can't agree with. Like the one about dogs chasing vehicles because are trying to protect their territory, etc. Fact is that almost all strays I'v seen seem to really enjoy the act. Or maybe the "fun" part is goaded by their repressed instinct to hunt in packs. But mostly its their way of having some fun.

Also I find this sentense interesting - "Dogs are animals". Then what are humans? That statement makes it sound like humans are oh-so-divine and its the dogs that are the lowly animals. Man is most certainly an animal. He is more than capable of all the acts mentioned above and far worse. Man is the saddest example of what an animal can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP_812 View Post
I believe once there was a proposition to put the dogs down and there were some environmentalists who opposed it, this went to court. Some MLA or some dude in the Govt there asked all the environmentalists who would be ready to take the street dogs home and 2 out of 200+ activists raised their hands.

This shows that people actually dont believe in what they stand for.
As mentioned Spitfire above, this stray dog problem is very much crated by us humans. That includes you, me and all others. Are you saying that the problem is created ONLY by the environmentalists mentioned by you? If yes, then you would be justified in packing off all stray doggies into their houses. If not then you simply want to wash off a collective responsibility by simply making the environmentalists a convenient scapegoat. Why do you think it should only be the environmentalist's private property and resources be usurped for a problem that society has created?

Last edited by Raccoon : 27th July 2009 at 15:18.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 15:25   #143
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,552
Thanked: 6,310 Times
Default

Dogs get together and chase people in cars. Evil dogs.

Men get together and hunt down and kill dogs. Cleaning the menace.

anyone getting the irony here.


oh yes, dogs don't pay taxes. We do. Its our city/ village/ town.

How dare other creatures live and exert their influence. Even if that influence is limited to a garbage dump.

My take on stray dogs?
Provide them with food and healthcare.
Yes they will get that as soon as all humans start getting that.

The sad part about the story narrated in this thread about a child in a cage.
The doctors who put him in it.
The society that does not care for one of its own.
Society killed that child.
Ignorance and poverty of his parents killed him.
Doctors destroyed whatever respect he deserved by putting him in a cage, killed him.

The dog was just the trigger for this poor child, who killed him self.
His mistake and he paid for it with his life, born poor in a country that puts 0 value on human life.


We need our children safe.
For danger does lurk even in the developed countries like the US of A.
WWL - AM870 | FM105.3 | News | Talk | Sports - *


PS: my last post in this thread.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 15:42   #144
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

@Raccoon & spitfire::

I am a dog lover. I stand by my words. But my love for dogs need not and does not embrace strays. They are pests and pests must be exterminated asap!

I don't know how old you both are, but probably I have been rearing dogs for more years than you have been around! Please don't take offence, I am 49 years old now, and there always was a dog at our home for at least 40 of those years. We have had 5 generations of dogs. I know how intelligent they are and can interpret each and every nuance of their body language and even their vocabulary. Yes, they have one!

But however intelligent they are, they are animals and belong in a controlled environment, under an owner. They can't be allowed roam free on the streets. No point in debating who was responsible for creating the strays problem in the first place. When a fire rages, first put it out and then debate as to who was responsible for it.

And when it concerns the safety of children and innocent road users, I am least interested in who provoked whom. In my book, when it comes to the safety of children, the rights of the stray dog amounts to zilch.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 15:50   #145
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

The sad part about the story narrated in this thread about a child in a cage.
The doctors who put him in it.
Doctors destroyed whatever respect he deserved by putting him in a cage, killed him.
This is how people are kept at the terminal stages of rabies. Because they can often act like a dog, howl and bite anybody around, transmitting the disease. The only other humane way would have been euthanasia.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 15:57   #146
BHPian
 
watashi75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 518
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Stray dogs are stray dogs because his master has deserted him. The same qualities which we praise in a guard dog becomes his nemesis when he takes to the streets.

A human life is more precious than a dog's life when it comes to a life and death situation. But I am sure we can be more humane about it.
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 16:07   #147
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

It is heartless on the part of the owners to abandon their dogs, for whatever reason. They should try to find an alternative home for the dog, and if they can't it is best to put the dog to sleep. That is what we did with our last German Sheperd when we vacated our house that was to be developed in to an apartment complex, and moved in to a Flat. He was too old and nobody was willing to accept him.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 16:07   #148
BHPian
 
sanjayatarizona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: "God's own Shaap"
Posts: 352
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
@Raccoon & spitfire::

I am a dog lover. I stand by my words. But my love for dogs need not and does not embrace strays. They are pests and pests must be exterminated asap!

And when it concerns the safety of children and innocent road users, I am least interested in who provoked whom. In my book, when it comes to the safety of children, the rights of the stray dog amounts to zilch.
+1 sir. That about sums what is right and reflects the majority thought.
sanjayatarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 16:57   #149
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
We have on our part adopted around 10 strays so far (from the streets), they have proved to be the most loyal, loving and faithful companions.
Thats very noble of you and your family. We have like 20 dogs on our farm in the village. Each one was a stray before. My younger sister keeps adding to the count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The dog was just the trigger for this poor child, who killed him self.
Very well put bblost.

How unfortunate an incident, it sends shivers down my spine wondering what was going through that mothers mind looking at her child in the cage.

The dog is being blamed for the total failure of us humans to provide basic healthcare for our own children. How much more blind can we get to reality?

Mr Gansan, no offence. But each one of you who saw the child in the cage looked at it as another dog and not a human being. The silence of that kid in that cage was never understood by anyone of you.

May his sould rest in peace. And hope no one ever has to go through something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
In my book, when it comes to the safety of children, the rights of the stray dog amounts to zilch.
Rights of stray dogs? The only right we are asking is to let them live and not poison, shoot or maim or drive over them.

Is it asking for too much?

No one argues the safety of children and others but we can be humane about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Stray dogs are stray dogs because his master has deserted him. The same qualities which we praise in a guard dog becomes his nemesis when he takes to the streets.

A human life is more precious than a dog's life when it comes to a life and death situation. But I am sure we can be more humane about it.
+1. Exactly what we are trying to say.

Last edited by Spitfire : 27th July 2009 at 17:01.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 17:13   #150
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Mr Gansan, no offence. But each one of you who saw the child in the cage looked at it as another dog and not a human being. The silence of that kid in that cage was never understood by anyone of you.
What???????????
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bajaj Avenger 150 Street / 220 Street launched at INR 75,000 / 84,000 aniketi Motorbikes 27 6th September 2016 09:46
Morris Street : A Customised Street Rod, made in Delhi GTO The Indian Car Scene 26 22nd July 2012 18:46
Rescued a street dog after a crash-Need Suggestions akshay4587 Street Experiences 100 28th March 2012 10:16
Need to get a dog - help?? hot_rod Shifting gears 48 1st April 2009 15:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks