Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
What???????????
Ah...well. Forget it.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 17:50   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

The dog was just the trigger for this poor child, who killed him self.
+1 to that!

Quote:
@Raccoon & spitfire::

I am a dog lover. I stand by my words. But my love for dogs need not and does not embrace strays. They are pests and pests must be exterminated asap!

I don't know how old you both are, but probably I have been rearing dogs for more years than you have been around! Please don't take offence, I am 49 years old now, and there always was a dog at our home for at least 40 of those years. We have had 5 generations of dogs. I know how intelligent they are and can interpret each and every nuance of their body language and even their vocabulary. Yes, they have one!

But however intelligent they are, they are animals and belong in a controlled environment, under an owner. They can't be allowed roam free on the streets. No point in debating who was responsible for creating the strays problem in the first place. When a fire rages, first put it out and then debate as to who was responsible for it.

And when it concerns the safety of children and innocent road users, I am least interested in who provoked whom. In my book, when it comes to the safety of children, the rights of the stray dog amounts to zilch.
I'm having great difficulty in reconciling your statement about being a dog lover and being around dogs for so long and yet having so many issues with those poor beings who are somehow managing to eke out a living from our sad dwelling areas which we like to call civilised cities...
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 18:31   #153
BHPian

Stray dogs are a serious safety issue for humans. And as India moves ahead to become a developed modern country, we need to make sensible and mature decisions about how to manage our cities and public safety. Stray animals have no place roaming about a developed city.

Even if one takes the position of an 'animal lover', how can one accept the terrible condition that these poor animals live in? Animal lovers should especially support a plan to humanely eliminate strays.

The fact that Indian cities have so many strays roaming about is just evidence of poor civic planning and maintainance. Just go and visit a major city in any developed country of the world if you dont believe me.
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 22:53   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
+1 to that!

I'm having great difficulty in reconciling your statement about being a dog lover and being around dogs for so long and yet having so many issues with those poor beings who are somehow managing to eke out a living from our sad dwelling areas which we like to call civilised cities...
Issues? I have only one issue. They can't be allowed to roam freely on the streets endangering people, period. It may seem a contradiction to you, but I am a dog lover. I loved my last dog so much that I had him put to sleep, rather than abandon him on the streets. Any animal lover will agree that if the population of a particular species explodes, it will have to be culled. If elephants, Kangaroos and Cheetahs can be culled, what is the issue with stray dogs?

BTW, why not have a poll about it to see the majority opinion?

Last edited by Gansan : 27th July 2009 at 22:55.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 09:24   #155
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
.....why not have a poll about it to see the majority opinion?
+1 to that . Lets have a poll on this.

I am sure whatever be the argument one puts here, when it comes to real life situation, decisions are taken at an instant and the outcome would be (in most cases) obvious

Bottomline according to me is simple, drive sensibly and dont get injured. Panicking is always going to land you in trouble, be it a stray dog, senseless humans crossing the road from nowhere, other vehicles cutting in to your lane without indicators, the list goes on. In all the cases, though it is difficult to be prepared for those situations, one has to be brave enough not to panick and land in to trouble, as they say, always EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED.

P.S. These are my personal opinions and comments are most welcome. No offences meant to anyone.
balajird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 09:38   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Any animal lover will agree that if the population of a particular species explodes, it will have to be culled. If elephants, Kangaroos and Cheetahs can be culled, what is the issue with stray dogs?

BTW, why not have a poll about it to see the majority opinion?
What about the population of Indians (humans) ?

I think this is even bigger threat to the planet with limited natural resources.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 09:40   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post

I think this is even bigger threat to the planet with limited natural resources.
well, on a lighter note, i would say that this is taken care by the various terrorist groups across the globe

And sometimes, the nature loses its patience and reduces our strength by bringing in earthquakes, Tsunamis and what not.
balajird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 10:02   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post

Nature, in her own way, will do the culling of humans.

Last edited by Gansan : 28th July 2009 at 10:08.
Old 28th July 2009, 10:42   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nature, in her own way, will do the culling of humans.
Then who gave you the right to cull the stray dogs?

Last edited by Spitfire : 28th July 2009 at 10:43.
Old 28th July 2009, 11:09   #160
Senior - BHPian

I've seen incidents where ppl trying to avoid strays get into accidents!!

As for me, if there's a dog is in my way and I cant turn left or right(cars on my either side) then I wont stop!

Though fortunately nothing of that sort has happened to me, yet!

this reminds me of a road stretch near Ghaziabad where I saw nearly 5-6 dogs crushed on the road within a distance of 500m!! really a bad sight! :(
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 11:25   #161
BHPian

Well it's not the question of loving or hating the dogs. Its about the chaos that these stray animals can cause and the precarious situation that they can put us in!!!
T_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 11:28   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Girl View Post
Well it's not the question of loving or hating the dogs. Its about the chaos that these stray animals can cause and the precarious situation that they can put us in!!!
Brilliantly put! Thanks for bringing this thread back on track!
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 11:29   #163
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Wow! This thread has seem to come alive in the past week ever since I posted a query about the stray dog menace. Interesting to note the different views of members on a rather contentious topic.
gpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 11:32   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Then who gave you the right to cull the stray dogs?
It is the relevant Govt. body that has to do the culling, not me as an individual. And their right comes from the law of the land and their duty to the people under their jurisdiction. And before you ask, they don't have any duty towards the dogs!
Old 28th July 2009, 12:02   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Girl View Post
Its about the chaos that these stray animals can cause and the precarious situation that they can put us in!!!
And who is to be blamed for that? The strays?

Quote:
And before you ask, they don't have any duty towards the dogs!
The government? Their duty? Ok if you believe in that. Good for you.

When was the last time you took this up with your government? If the menance is still there who is not doing their job?

Why blame the dogs for it?