Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 28th July 2009, 12:16   #166
Team-BHP Support

Nobody is blaming the stray dogs for controlling stray dog population. Its the govt which is being blamed for not controlling stray dog population. Their population should be controlled, and I do not put any blame/responsibility or accountability on the stray dogs for control of their population.
Spitfire I am really amazed that you actually thought that people wanted stray dogs to commit suicide and control their population. Most of the people with whom you have been arguing with believe that govt and MCD is to blame and they should control the population of strays, not themselves.
There now you can relax, I have cleared the air for you
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 12:27   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The government? Their duty? Ok if you believe in that. Good for you.

When was the last time you took this up with your government? If the menance is still there who is not doing their job?

Why blame the dogs for it?
I think everyone is blaming only the authorities for not carrying out their duty! They are supposed to catch the dogs roaming on the streets, keep them for a specific period and if nobody turns up to claim them, dispose them off.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 12:32   #168
Senior - BHPian

Last time I checked it was 'Of the people by the people for the people'
Don't see any dogs in there.
If they are a menace to the people, the Gov should do something about it for the people.
And if the people complain in writing, they do send the municipal corp dog catchers.
So it works both ways, but it has to be initiated by the people first, which is actually sad.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 13:12   #169
Senior - BHPian

I heard from my neighbors that the authorities are catching dogs in some areas and leaving it in another, likes ours. i did notice the population go up all of a sudden!

Cant blame the authorities as government has not made up its mind or the activitsts are not letting them and poor authorities are stuck in between them...
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 13:26   #170
Senior - BHPian

Yup! they don't actually catch em!! :(

One day they turned up in our locality and just took away all the stray dogs roaming around! I was so happy!

but then a few days later came back and set them all free exactly where they caught em from!! I was like ***!

turns out that was just for the purpose of sterilization/vasectomy! Now they are a menace once again :(
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 13:41   #171
BHPian

Why only dogs? Why not talk about cows that roam the streets freely in certain areas? Especially near temples.

I don't want to create a religious controversy here, but still... there are already enough humans on the street, why add more animals? ;-)

I once went into a narrow lane to park my car, and two very relaxed stray dogs were sunbathing right in the middle. I didn't really want to get off my car and go close to them, since I heard some of them bite. So I very slowly drove toward them and stopped close to them. They looked up lazily, and finally decided to make way for me. ;-)
cargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 13:50   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Yup! they don't actually catch em!! :(

One day they turned up in our locality and just took away all the stray dogs roaming around! I was so happy!

but then a few days later came back and set them all free exactly where they caught em from!! I was like ***!

turns out that was just for the purpose of sterilization/vasectomy! Now they are a menace once again :(
That is the correct thing to do.

Killing the stray dogs creates a vacuum.
The amount of food (garbage) still remains and new dogs take over the area.
Retaining the older dogs maintains the balance.
Also sterilization of dogs is accepted as a way of reducing aggression.

Humans get married for the same reason.
(another lame attempt at humour, no offence intended)
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 15:34   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
What about the population of Indians (humans) ?

I think this is even bigger threat to the planet with limited natural resources.
We are the biggest threat to ourselves. I don't see how dogs are even a significant problem, when you think of that! Unfortunately, nobody likes to even consider this root problem before tackling the symptoms. Anyway, the population problem is off-topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
well, on a lighter note, i would say that this is taken care by the various terrorist groups across the globe
I don't think they are anywhere close to succeeding. The Indian population keeps multiplying like bacteria. I guess we need more terrorists for our own good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is the relevant Govt. body that has to do the culling, not me as an individual. And their right comes from the law of the land and their duty to the people under their jurisdiction. And before you ask, they don't have any duty towards the dogs!
The Govt. has a duty towards all beings and the environment. It would be a really, really sad day when any Govt. adopts your line of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nobody is blaming the stray dogs for controlling stray dog population. Its the govt which is being blamed for not controlling stray dog population. Their population should be controlled, and I do not put any blame/responsibility or accountability on the stray dogs for control of their population.
Spitfire I am really amazed that you actually thought that people wanted stray dogs to commit suicide and control their population. Most of the people with whom you have been arguing with believe that govt and MCD is to blame and they should control the population of strays, not themselves.
Before we blame just the govt. (which anyway comes from society anyway), have you seen how stray dogs come into being in the 1st place? I have both seen and heard of so many people just abandoning puppies and dogs on the street. Even well to do so-called educated and very well-to-do people do this... just leave some puppies on the road at night and then quicky escape in their cars. I even have a friend who had to find homes for the puppies which were abandoned on the street in front of his house by couple of motorists. Maybe it is these type of people that should be culled instead of their poor victims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargirl View Post
I once went into a narrow lane to park my car, and two very relaxed stray dogs were sunbathing right in the middle. I didn't really want to get off my car and go close to them, since I heard some of them bite. So I very slowly drove toward them and stopped close to them. They looked up lazily, and finally decided to make way for me. ;-)
When I read something like that, I feel this whole stray dog biting/harrasing thingy is an old wive's tale which has come from hearing things. I have not heard, but experienced that they never bite or harass. Why dosen't this become a rumour?

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th July 2009 at 16:05. Reason: only 2 smilies per post please. thanks
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 15:44   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

Before we blame just the govt. (which anyway comes from society anyway), have you seen how stray dogs come into being in the 1st place? I have both seen and heard of so many people just abandoning puppies and dogs on the street. Even well to do so-called educated and very well-to-do people do this... just leave some puppies on the road at night and then quicky escape in their cars. I even have a friend who had to find homes for the puppies which were abandoned on the street in front of his house by couple of motorists. Maybe it is these type of people that should be culled instead of their poor victims.
why do you assume that when people say stray dog control they say kill them. There are other ways. For example Sterlization goes a long way in controlling aggression as well as population.

Quote:
When I read something like that, I feel this whole stray dog biting/harrasing thingy is an old wive's tale which has come from hearing things. I have not heard, but experienced that they never bite or harass. Why dosen't this become a rumour?
I am neither old nor a wife. Yet I have been injured due to dogs jumping me while driving bike. I did not get injured very seriously because the dog cushioned my fall, and after being crushed with 100kgs of me, all the fight was lost and they scampered away. I had bite marks on the sole of my shoe, so the dog actually wanted to bite me, it did not jump on me to show affection
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 15:55   #175
BHPian

Quote:
I have not heard, but experienced that they never bite or harass
Ummm....granted you haven't been bitten or harassed by strays, how does that prove that they *never* bite or harass, praytell? Like saying all swans are white....
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 15:59   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, it certainly is no old wives tale. Whether they bite or not, they certainly do attack when one is on a bike. While i do understand the reasons for their actions may be many, what one cannot discount is that they are not entirely harmless. I have had an instance where the strays even run behind and attack the car, but sitting within the confines of the car, i am not complaining about the treatment.

On my part, neither i nor those with me did anything to aggravate the strays. Attacking bikes seems to be one of their hobbies.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 16:00   #177
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Raccoon,

To reiterate again, just because it has not happened to you or because you have not experienced it, doesn't mean it cannot happen to others. You have to rid yourself of the "If it's not happened to me, it cannot happen to anyone else either" mindset.Just because you experienced that they don't bite you and have heard that they attack/bite others you cannot call them as 'old wives tales'.
gpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 16:00   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
That is the best thing to do. This way they are not murdered, and they can enjoy their basic instinct and then be extinct.
No sin, no menace. Win Win!
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 16:27   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, that was kinda stated in a lighter vein! I am not doubting that they attecked you... how can I? I wasn't there to see!! Besides that, I have myself seen and heard them biting others... so I am in no way saying or even implying that what you are saying is not true.

Since nobody seems to have caught what I'm hinting at, lemme state the cases of my friends. A couple of them are die-hard dog/animal lovers. Quite a few others get petrified of dogs. Now the funniest thing is the canine-phillic friends have NEVER been attacked/bitten. The others who are terrified and scream as if they have just seen the Loch Ness monster or something, when they see a poor stray are the ones who have all kinds of issues. Some of them are so hyper, that I'v had cases where we were going pillion on bike late in the nights and when the strays start chasing, which they so love to do, I'v had my pillion riding friends going so hyper and ballistic that they almost start dancing and screaming on the rear seat, often causing me to almost loose balance for absolutely no reason. Add to this, my natural tendency to slow down or even stop when they start chasing (so that I can have a word with them ) some of them have almost suffered cardiac arrest...

Now if this behaviour is not human stupidity at its finest, what is?

Is it really so difficult for people to understand that speeding up will actually excite them more and chase you faster? At least thats what my canine-phobic friends expect me to do when they start chasing! Also speeding in panic like that is an almost certain recipe for disaster... which can land you in an ICU like the case of my college mate mentioned somewhere above.

Like it or not, stray dogs are there and they do love to chase vehicles. How you handle the situation is entirely upto you. Whether you get bitten or have an accident is entirely your own responsibility. Stop blaming the poor mutts and you will maybe arrive at a different conclusion yourselves. Blaming them and ranting about murdering them here and throwing brickbats at the Govt. will definitely not help you avoid an accident or getting bitten. Yes, we should do something about strays, and a zillion other problems plaguing our society... but you can always discuss all about that after you have delt with the immediate situation at hand... which is as trivial as a few sweet pooches tyring to have some fun on the road at night, which we humans usurp from them in the daytime.

Grow up, please!!!

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th July 2009 at 16:46.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 16:39   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since nobody seems to have caught what I'm hinting at, lemme state the cases of my friends. A couple of them are die-hard dog/animal lovers. Quite a few others get petrified of dogs. Now the funniest thing is the canine-phillic friends have NEVER been attacked/bitten. The others who are terrified and scream as if they have just seen the Loch Ness monster or something, when they see a poor stray are the ones who have all kinds of issues. Some of them are so hyper, that I'v had cases where we were going pillion on bike late in the nights and when the strays start chasing, which they so love to do, I'v had my pillion riding friends going so hyper and ballistic that they almost start dancing and screaming on the rear seat, often causing me to almost loose balance for absolutely no reason. Add to this, my natural tendency to slow down or even stop when they start chasing (so that I can have a word with them ) some of them have almost suffered cardiac arrest...

Now if this behaviour is not human stupidity at its finest, what is?
Wow, So as per you getting panicked when a dog is chasing a person is a case of human stupidity?

Quote:
Like it or not, stray dogs are there and they do love to chase vehicles. How you handle the situation is entirely upto you. Whether you get bitten or have an accident is entirely your own responsibility. Stop blaming the poor mutts and you will maybe arrive at a different conclusion yourselves. Blaming them and ranting about murdering them here will definitely not help you avoid an accident or getting bitten.
I believe you are still on the last page where people were under impression that we are blaming the dogs, please read this post by Tanveer, the first post on this page.

Quote:
I hope this clears
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote