Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 28th July 2009, 16:48   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, So as per you getting panicked when a dog is chasing a person is a case of human stupidity?
Absolutely!

In Yoda speak - Fear leads to the dark side...
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 16:49   #182
Senior - BHPian

I said this before, and will repeat again. Sterilizing and leaving them back on the streets is no solution. They are still potential sources of rabies. So, they will have to be given annual rabies booster shots,which is not practical. Putting them to sleep humanely is the only solution.

@Raccoon:
Shall I tell you what will happen if the authorities fail to act and the people take matters in to their own hands? I did not want to hurt your sensibilities, but you don't seem to have any such qualms, using words such as "old womens' tales". The "Bun+Dulcolax" I mentioned a few posts back was the mildest example.

This happened when I was working at a south TN town some years back. There was a large stray dog population in the area where I lived. About fifteen of them will assemble for a "mid night conference" and nobody could safely cross that area. Many people were chased and bitten. The Municipal authorities ignored the problem. Finally two children were bitten by them and the people went berserk. The dogs were enticed in to a coconut grove one night with meat laced with sedatives and brained to death. Then they buried each dog under one coconut tree and came off. I was horrified when one fellow calmly narrated the events the next day. "Makes for excellent fertiliser", he said with a smile.

What happened at the township attached to our factory was even worse. Again same problem, and nobody to listen. The township administrator (company employee, not Govt) decided to act and engaged the services of a gypsy (Narikorava) group. They offered to shoot the dogs, but firing within the premises was a strict no-no. So they mixed some kind of explosive powder with mutton biryani. This powder formed lumps, similar to the meat peaces. Then the food was srtategically placed on the path of the dogs. When they chewed on the food, the faces of two dogs simply shattered. The other dogs ran away terrified, never to return.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 17:11   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

@Raccoon: While it may seem quite natural to think of people who panic under such conditions as stupid (I used to think so too as I have had Dogs as pet & I dont get scared by them), you really need to put yourself in their shoes to know that since they don't have any experience of dealing with dogs their fear which might be due to right or wrong reasons is something which can be anything but stupid.

On a lighter note - Say on wild life safari a pet lion/tiger comes leaping towards you to play, The reaction of the jungle officer would be quite similar to what you feel for people who are afraid of dogs
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 17:23   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
That is the correct thing to do.

Killing the stray dogs creates a vacuum.
The amount of food (garbage) still remains and new dogs take over the area.
Retaining the older dogs maintains the balance.
Also sterilization of dogs is accepted as a way of reducing aggression.

Humans get married for the same reason.
(another lame attempt at humour, no offence intended)
This is what my dad told me when i was discussing this matter with him!!

I agree with you completely on this one!
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 17:24   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I said this before, and will repeat again. Sterilizing and leaving them back on the streets is no solution. They are still potential sources of rabies. So, they will have to be given annual rabies booster shots,which is not practical. Putting them to sleep humanely is the only solution.

@Raccoon:
Shall I tell you what will happen if the authorities fail to act and the people take matters in to their own hands? I did not want to hurt your sensibilities, but you don't seem to have any such qualms, using words such as "old womens' tales". The "Bun+Dulcolax" I mentioned a few posts back was the mildest example.

This happened when I was working at a south TN town some years back. There was a large stray dog population in the area where I lived. About fifteen of them will assemble for a "mid night conference" and nobody could safely cross that area. Many people were chased and bitten. The Municipal authorities ignored the problem. Finally two children were bitten by them and the people went berserk. The dogs were enticed in to a coconut grove one night with meat laced with sedatives and brained to death. Then they buried each dog under one coconut tree and came off. I was horrified when one fellow calmly narrated the events the next day. "Makes for excellent fertiliser", he said with a smile.

What happened at the township attached to our factory was even worse. Again same problem, and nobody to listen. The township administrator (company employee, not Govt) decided to act and engaged the services of a gypsy (Narikorava) group. They offered to shoot the dogs, but firing within the premises was a strict no-no. So they mixed some kind of explosive powder with mutton biryani. This powder formed lumps, similar to the meat peaces. Then the food was srtategically placed on the path of the dogs. When they chewed on the food, the faces of two dogs simply shattered. The other dogs ran away terrified, never to return.
I am quite aware of what humans are capable of. But I have never said that nothing should be done about stray dogs. The conditions which they live in... with nobody to care for them... and with so many hostile humans against them (like the ones you have mentioned)... these conditions themselves beckon a solution. But again, as I said its part of a bigger problem and however we may wish, its not likely to just vanish overnight. My emphasis has always been on how we handle the situation immediately at hand... and also the cycle of violence which starts from fear changing into hate, which is self perpetuating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
@Raccoon: While it may seem quite natural to think of people who panic under such conditions as stupid (I used to think so too as I have had Dogs as pet & I dont get scared by them), you really need to put yourself in their shoes to know that since they don't have any experience of dealing with dogs their fear which might be due to right or wrong reasons is something which can be anything but stupid.
Yes, you do have a point. The better part of the folks that do get scared are those that have never interacted much with dogs. But whatever the reasons, it will not change the outcome. Panic will bring unpleasent outcomes...
Old 28th July 2009, 17:25   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On a lighter note - Say on wild life safari a pet lion/tiger comes leaping towards you to play, The reaction of the jungle officer would be quite similar to what you feel for people who are afraid of dogs

+1 to that. I myself was never bitten by a dog and can handle any situation, even if it involves ferocious dogs. The important thing is to act calmly, not panic and most importantly, never to make eye contact with an angry dog. But all this gyan comes from spending years with dogs. Not all can be expected to act the same way. Especially not children.
Old 28th July 2009, 17:36   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
never to make eye contact with an angry dog.
My experience says just the opposite. If you dont see them eye to eye they will think you are afraid.
Old 28th July 2009, 17:40   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The important thing is to act calmly, not panic and most importantly, never to make eye contact with an angry dog.
Quote:
My experience says just the opposite. If you dont see them eye to eye they will think you are afraid.
This ones for you @Raccoon. Maybe you can answer this one.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 17:42   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm... I'd agree. Whats more, looking into their eyes unfailingly tells me what their internal state is and what the next move is going to be like.

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th July 2009 at 17:44.
Old 28th July 2009, 17:44   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I beg to differ. It is unwise to make eye contact with a hostile, unknown dog. With your own dog, eye contact is a must, to establish that you are the "top dog".

Eye contact - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 28th July 2009, 17:47   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@Raccoon:

Whoa! Now thats something!!

Its like they are showing that 'who's the boss now!?'

btw this website here states that dogs become calmer and non-aggressive after sterilization - Dog Sterilization Information | Spayed and Neutered Dogs

Here are some articles that might help understand dog aggression(so that they can be avoided)
In the end if all is left to us, then there is nothing we can do for welfare of the strays!
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 17:48   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes Eyes, Ears, facial expressions & their body language tells a lot about their intent

@gansan- My experience with watching in the eye with strays have been successful

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th July 2009 at 17:53.
Old 28th July 2009, 17:48   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I beg to differ. It is unwise to make eye contact with a hostile, unknown dog. With your own dog, eye contact is a must, to establish that you are the "top dog".

Eye contact - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now that you mention it, I remember, it is also mentioned in some dog books. But it dosen't work for me...

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th July 2009 at 17:51.
Old 28th July 2009, 19:37   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
In the end if all is left to us, then there is nothing we can do for welfare of the strays!
There is. Whenever I notice a stray that has had a fresh litter, I inform a lady volunteer of Blue Cross who lives nearby. She feeds bread everyday to all the strays in the area, so they are friendly with her. She will call for the Blue Cross ambulance and take the stray along with the pups to the Blue Cross centre. A few days later she brings back the bitch duly sterilized & vaccinated and releases her in the street. The pups are retained and put up for adoption.

Anyone wishing to have a pup can adopt one pup from them. Even if we wish to have a pedigree pup at home, adopting another stray pup too can't hurt. They make for very loyal, maintenance free pets.

But it is not practical to find a home for all the strays, and the surplus has to be dealt with in a firm but humane way. They have to be off the streets at all costs.
Old 29th July 2009, 10:54   #195
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@gansan- My experience with watching in the eye with strays have been successful
+1 to that. Just have always been successful when ever I have stared right back at the dog that was growling at me. Recently, we got a huge golden retriver from a family friend. I was away from home when the dog arrived and when I returned after it had spent two days at home, it was sitting in our driveway and kept growling at me treating me as an outsider.

I just stood there looked at it right back and eventually approached it slowly which I now regret as it keeps jumping on me when ever I return home. Looking them right back in the eye seems to work.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote