Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 13th September 2009, 03:47   #211
BHPian

Default Dog Horn

Has anyone heard of something called a Dog Horn . It is used to ward of dog and other animal attacks.Its not available in India though.

Anyway whats the best Indian way of dealing with a dog chasing you, when you are on a bike.
A friend of mine was recently bitten by one and it was very traumatic because he (and I) had to keep watch for 3 day, to see if the dog died after the bite( it didn't).Now I am scared.
alter.e.go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 11:50   #212
Senior - BHPian

Well, if I was riding down a lane which looks like it has a few ferocious dogs, I do the following and it has always helped.
1. Reduce speed. Rushing past a canine always triggers its attack instinct.
2. Be alert. One may need to suddenly speed off in case of an attack.
3. Avoid looking at the dogs in the eye. This reduces their interest/fear of you.
4. Try to maintain your line of travel. Do not attempt to scare them by driving too close to them/running over them. This may save you that time but it ends up in making the dogs more ferocious.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:15   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
A friend of mine was recently bitten by one and it was very traumatic because he (and I) had to keep watch for 3 day, to see if the dog died after the bite( it didn't).Now I am scared.
This is madness. Don't believe in old wives' tales and get your friend vaccinated immediately. He is in real danger.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:37   #214
Senior - BHPian

What i leanrnt is they (dogs) dont like lound cars/bikes, keep the revs low but with bikes like enfiled its hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well, if I was riding down a lane which looks like it has a few ferocious dogs, I do the following and it has always helped.
1. Reduce speed. Rushing past a canine always triggers its attack instinct.
2. Be alert. One may need to suddenly speed off in case of an attack.
3. Avoid looking at the dogs in the eye. This reduces their interest/fear of you.
4. Try to maintain your line of travel. Do not attempt to scare them by driving too close to them/running over them. This may save you that time but it ends up in making the dogs more ferocious.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:48   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
What i leanrnt is they (dogs) dont like lound cars/bikes, keep the revs low but with bikes like enfiled its hard
I respect your experience, but, from what I have belted, it really depends upon their mood, which plays 70% part.
They also like to chase lights in the night.
prince_pervez is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:55   #216
Senior - BHPian

Agreed, this totally depends on the time, during the day no issues but at night say after 11pm and deserted street...loud bike means be ready for a chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I respect your experience, but, from what I have belted, it really depends upon their mood, which plays 70% part.
They also like to chase lights in the night.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 13:05   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Sure they don't. My Rajdoot GTS (Bobby) doesn't help too much here either.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 17:38   #218
BHPian

Default Dogs barking and chasing Moving Vehicles

Animal Lovers/ Pet owners/ experienced drivers on the road,

Please enlighten me on why dogs bark and chase moving cars? I tried searching on the forum but didnt find anything written on this.

Does anyone know the reason?

I dont want to be chased by dogs - even though I know it is futile for them - What can I do to avoid this?

The answers on Google searches seem to indicate evolutionary need to chase, sound of motor sounding like nails scratching a blackboard, just for the fun of it, being alarmed by a sudden sound etc etc. but nothing definitive.

Other questions that I have had
Does the size matter - whether the dogs will chase a truck with same gusto as they would a car or a bike?

Is sound important or movement - i.e. will they chase a cycle as well?

Thanks in advance for your views on this rather inane topic.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th March 2010 at 18:50. Reason: Please use Search and continue in an existing thread, Thanks
adzegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 17:42   #219
BANNED

Yes, they chase a vehicle irrespective of its size. I feel they are provoked by certain types of sounds which are especially high pitched. The chasing is triggered due to irritation and discomfort they feel when they hear those sounds because their nose tolerance is low compared to humans and they are sensitive to sound.

Occasionally some even chase smooth driven vehicles if they are in enthu mood with companions around.

Last edited by zaks : 17th March 2010 at 17:44.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 18:12   #220
MX6
Senior - BHPian

It's all territorial conflicts dude. You enter what they have demarcated as their territory, then you'd be chased, irrespective of whether you are in a vehicle or you are a pedestrian. I've dogs chasing my car and feel frustrated at times. I slow down so as not to run over them. But too much slowing down is also a frightening proposition.
But dogs of my area know my car well. They don't chase. So they are kind enough to share their territory with my car.
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 18:42   #221
Senior - BHPian

Territorial behavior sometimes,sometimes intimidation ,sometimes the exhaust note irritates them.
Drive calmly till the dog either gets tired or out of its territory they generally don't attack humans .
But i remember once my friend being bitten when a dog pounced on him(he was the pillion rider on a two wheeler).
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 18:55   #222
BHPian

I think the car belongs to them & that is why they bark...

Coming to the sound part, this incident happ sometime back in blore, friends and I were partying late night, drunk & we ran out of cigarettes.. At around 1 AM, I and my friend took the yezdi roadking to get some cigs, these dogs in the parallel street went mad hearing the sound of the yezdi and around 8 dogs started chasing us.. Nothing new untill I realized I was in my boxers & ohh **** these dogs were almost there to bit my thigh.. Next day I felt I was lucky to come unhurt..
Mr_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 18:57   #223
BHPian

my RD used to be a dog magnet....dont know why but the canines all over the city just used to H-A-T-E the exhaust note. And this was a stock exhaust for all that ! Soon learnt that zipping by them before they could even realize it was the best solution.
slipstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 19:47   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
my RD used to be a dog magnet....dont know why but the canines all over the city just used to H-A-T-E the exhaust note. And this was a stock exhaust for all that ! Soon learnt that zipping by them before they could even realize it was the best solution.
I find that strange. The street dog gang in my area are scared of my Rx-Z's sound. They literally run for cover. Same goes for my car too.

Maybe its not the ride they are afraid of. (evil laugh)
yzfrj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 10:32   #225
Senior - BHPian

Well, what I'm going to post here is certainly going to raise controversials.
I was never scared of dog chases in Chennai until I saw how the dogs used to chase in Bangalore (really appreciate ppl in Bangalore how they tolerate); what's more frightening for me is a dog standing in the corner of the road & not decided whether it should cross the road or stay there OR even worst, half way on the street & it decides to go back where it started - basically the unpredictability. So I found out from my experience that if you simply rub your boots/slippers against the road that has some amount of sand the noise it raises scares away the dog & makes it take a stable decision - get out from middle of the road & cover for shelter. Very simple, worked & still works for me.

Few months ago, a dog in my neighbouring street got annoyed about this behaviour of mine (after it watching me doing this for few months) & decided to chase me, surprisingly it is not scared of my Rx100's sound; now one day I decided to give back. The reason being that dogs are found to be brave (exceptions found with doberman & hounds) only when in gang & tend to run away when you show you can give back or you are fearless. So one day when this dog started chasing me, I hit it with my boots & trust me from that day onwards I see that dog just looking at me like its plotting its revenge (God knows when I'll get bitten), but no chases from then.

When I'm in car, I really don't care.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote