Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 12th June 2010, 17:52   #241
Senior - BHPian

^^^ As I'd mentioned sometime before, eye contact is what I'v made with every doggie... even those that attacked my doggie.

After going thru numerous pooch skirmishes, I'm yet to see this alpha female...
Raccoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 03:39   #242
BHPian

The best way to stop a dog or pack of dogs from chasing you is to just throw some water on them. Simple as that. Seriously you dont need to get personal and definitely not violent - both will escalate the problem.

Ideal case live and let live.
akshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 19:14   #243
Senior - BHPian

^^ No offense, but, how should a bike rider manage to ride and throw water. We can't expect a rider to have water with him all the time or a pillion for that matter.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 23:00   #244
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Street dog menace

Bump

I'm getting fed up of being targeted by strays. Even if I'm walking with a group of people the dogs only come near me :(

I've tried ignoring them completely but end up looking at them from the corner of my eyes to make sure they aren't running towards me!

All advice appreciated!
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 00:59   #245
Senior - BHPian

Stop glaring at those sweethearts from the corner of your yes... zimple!
Old 28th May 2011, 01:18   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Stop glaring at those sweethearts from the corner of your yes... zimple!
Wish the sweethearts would lay of me!

I try ignoring them but as soon as I pass them they start following me (note only me, even if I'm with a group of people ) and that's when I start panicking as I can't see what they're up to.

Maybe they sense my fear/nervousness?
Old 28th May 2011, 01:28   #247
Senior - BHPian

^^^It sure seems they do. Why else do you think your are the sole target of their love, despite other options?
Old 28th May 2011, 01:29   #248
BHPian

Have seen some adds in US about some device which makes ultra sonic noise to scare animals away. Do we have any such device in India? if yes i think that will be useful.
Ford_madhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 13:12   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Bump

I'm getting fed up of being targeted by strays. Even if I'm walking with a group of people the dogs only come near me :(

I've tried ignoring them completely but end up looking at them from the corner of my eyes to make sure they aren't running towards me!

All advice appreciated!
Interesting!

No offence, but do you have any excessive sweating and body odor problem in the hot Chennai climate?

And does this happen with only a particular group of strays or with all strays in general?
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 13:41   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Interesting!

No offence, but do you have any excessive sweating and body odor problem in the hot Chennai climate?

And does this happen with only a particular group of strays or with all strays in general?
None taken! Nope, I don't have those problems

The stray thing happens well, only when I go for a walk in my area - when I walk in other places, in general the dogs aren't bothered, although they occasionally come my way.

Many a time when they approach it's not like they're flashing their teeth or with stiff tails, maybe they're just trying to be friends , but still it makes me uneasy. Actually a long time ago (in the same area) when I was like 7 or 8 I was chased by one of the dogs on the street and since then I've this inborn nervousness.

EDIT: @Ragul: No bathing issues here! :P

Last edited by anekho : 29th May 2011 at 13:44.
Old 29th May 2011, 13:41   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Interesting!

I know this from personal experience - dogs will get aggressive/territorial with you if you don't take bath regularly (oops .. did I confess too much? ). At least this was the case a few times during my early hostel/bachelor days . On another occasion a bunch of village dogs in Himachal smelt me from a 1/2km away as I pitched tent and kept barking from dusk till late in the night and pacing in my direction before retreating now and then. I could make them out through my binoculars and kept wondering how I would cross their path the next day.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 29th May 2011 at 13:43.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 13:50   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
None taken! Nope, I don't have those problems

The stray thing happens well, only when I go for a walk in my area - when I walk in other places, in general the dogs aren't bothered, although they occasionally come my way.

Many a time when they approach it's not like they're flashing their teeth or with stiff tails, maybe they're just trying to be friends , but still it makes me uneasy. Actually a long time ago (in the same area) when I was like 7 or 8 I was chased by one of the dogs on the street and since then I've this inborn nervousness.

EDIT: @Ragul: No bathing issues here! :P
Good! Since they seem to be friendly, there won't be any problems. Next time you go their way, carry half a loaf of bread and feed them.

The alternative is half a brick, aimed good and true at the largest of them!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 18:03   #253
BHPian

Am trying to refresh this thread for a personal reason.

I reside in a decent society in Mumbai suburbs and have shifted here recently - not even 6 months as of date.

We pay huge maintenance to the society which includes security and other charges. To come to the point - my 10 year old son was attacked by one of the stray dogs that are seen in the complex.

He was severely bitten on his leg and his thumb when he tried to shoo him away. He had gone down to play and this dog came from behind and bit him so badly that it has left a deep wound (bearing one tooth of the dog)!

My kid does not want to go down to play anymore!

I know this may be completely off topic - but i am so angry with the manner the members of the society have taken this matter. They said that this is not the first case and that they have intimated the BMC to control or take away the dogs. There are many such dogs in the society and those who have been bitten have turned a blind eye to this.

I for one am not going to take this lying down. I have sent a letter to the society office bearers by registered post and havent heard from them.

We spent over 17000 rupees on his injection and besides there is this fear that the dogs may attack anyone again now or later.

I intend to seek legal damages from the society; is there a way in which I can approach this issue. Most of the office bearers have blamed the BMC and say it is not in their control and that they have informed the respective bodies.

How can someone be so indifferent to shocking incidents - which basically involve our safety and security. Its like we have to be on the vigil - to see if there are any dogs around.

I have decided that I will take a legal route for this; just want to understand any specific way that I should approach this.

Hope to hear from some of you soon.
saildrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 21:46   #254
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
To come to the point - my 10 year old son was attacked by one of the stray dogs that are seen in the complex.

He was severely bitten on his leg and his thumb when he tried to shoo him away. He had gone down to play and this dog came from behind and bit him so badly that it has left a deep wound (bearing one tooth of the dog)!

My kid does not want to go down to play anymore!

Hope to hear from some of you soon
I feel for you my dear friend & can empathize with your sense of anger & frustration. My 8 year old daughter is terrified of the street stray-dogs in our area, (tho' she has not been hurt, but has been chased, barked & snarled at) & I actually did complain to the Municipal dog squad. Unfortunately nothing has happened.
As regards your society taking some action - Probably they have complained to the Municipal dog squad & nothing happened? Not sure if the society can capture the dogs or attempt to put down the "bad" ones - since nowadays animal rights activists can raise hell. The society may get into a legal tangle if they attempt this? Maybe some of the members with an understanding of Municipal Laws can help?

Probably you can involve the local media & there by raise a stink so that your local corporator forces the Municipal Corporation to get rid of this menace.

Best wishes to your kid for a quick recovery! Stay safe!
AJ
AJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 15:19   #255
BHPian

+ 1 to the above.

I don't think the society that you live in can be held responsible for the stray dog biting incident. Tracking of stray dogs and preventing them from entering the premise is practically not possible.

At best, you can write to the local municipal authorities to tackle this issue.
trek is offline   Reply With Quote