Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 10th November 2013, 16:10   #256
BHPian

Default Re: The Street dog menace

Although I am a dog lover, I just want to narrate one instance:

I belong to suburbs of Mumbai where Mhada(Maharashtra Housing and Development Authority) housing localities exist. Mhada houses are built around a small rectangular patch of land which is their front door entry place. At least around 10-15 houses surround this rectangular land. And there are numerous such Mhada housing complexes.

Almost all of such small rectangular lands are guarded by a local stray dog, often fed by the Mhada residents. One of my friend resides in a Mhada house.

Once I thought of visiting this friend and I was generously welcomed by the stray dog there with loud barks and growls! I didnot have a eye contact with him but I carried on inside the rectangular area. As i proceeded further the dog obviously got more frustrated and barks stopped and the intensity of vicious growls increased. Now I was in a enclosed area walking lonely in the mid afternoon and nobody to ease this one-sided declared war.
Still I kept my calm and continued walking, I could feel the dog's wet nose touch my hand and the growling intensified further. But I still continued without maintaining eye contact. The dog took my entire three fingers in his mouth but somehow I dared not to remove my hand.It was only few precious milliseconds for me to remove my hand before the dog could bite...

What happend next was even surprising the dog got so frustrated by my calm behaviour that he let go of me and stopped barking,growling and was just confused as to how to react.
By this time my friend opened the door and the dog had nearly lost interest in me.

While going out again I and my friend went together and the dog copied my technique, he just observed me from far and acted like he had not seen me. No eye contact, no growling, no barking. He was calm like a statue. He was a good learner!

Luckily for me the human sense in me worked and I didn't follow his earlier technique.

Moral- Never surprise any dog, they never fail in surprising you back.

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 10th November 2013 at 16:13.
amit_purohit20 is online now   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 16:22   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Although I am a dog lover,He was calm like a statue. He was a good learner! Luckily for me the human sense in me worked and I didn't follow his earlier technique. Moral- Never surprise any dog, they never fail in surprising you back.
Amazing!
Most interesting narration of behaviour!
Thanks for sharing.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 17:37   #258
Senior - BHPian

If a stray dog's saliva touches our hand, we must get an anti rabies shot pronto, whether it bit us or not. Period.

Better be safe than sorry.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 17:45   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If a stray dog's saliva touches our hand, we must get an anti rabies shot pronto, whether it bit us or not. Period.

Better be safe than sorry.
It has happend to me many times that a stray dog has licked my hand, and I have washed that hand only after I came home. Till now nothing happend to me luckily and this would also not deter me from sometime being friendly with friendly stray dogs. I think by licking alone does not cause rabies. The dog in subject has to have rabies first. (How do we know that the particular stray dog has rabies or not?)

But I agree to your point that if my hand has a cut and the stray dog has rabies then I can surely catch it.
amit_purohit20 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 18:51   #260
Senior - BHPian

I too am friendly with some of the strays in my area and they sometimes lick my hand or feet! But I know they are clean - been vaccinated, sterilized and released back by a Blue Cross volunteer in the area!

The specific incident we find a couple of posts back, the dog was an unknown one and it was menacing him. Aggression is one of the symptoms of rabies.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 18:54   #261
Senior - BHPian

Here is a friendly local bloke whom I call Zolf who comes to our house for grub. He is an old chap and wise too!

Name:  image2433504535.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  400.6 KB

Name:  image348027060.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  571.8 KB

The other fella is Spotty and the third is Goldey.

Name:  image246349213.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  503.4 KB

Name:  image4203739317.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  476.0 KB

Name:  image901925742.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  495.8 KB

I love all animals and will not allow anyone to hurt these 'community dogs' because they are a most efficient early warning system for the neighbourhood!
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 13:23   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I love all animals and will not allow anyone to hurt these 'community dogs'
Wish all people had such noble thoughts, animals on this planet would have lived very happily.

As one spiritual guru said- In Kalyug if you cannot do good to others at least don't do bad things.
For eg- If you cant sweep the streets clean, at least dont litter.
If you can't feed the dogs at least dont hurt them. There are numerous such examples to quote and follow.

If we are a citizen of India, we also are a citizen of this planet and we have our moral responsibilities for this planet. And its our duty to make it a happy and sustaining place.

Sorry for being
amit_purohit20 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 17:05   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....I think by licking alone does not cause rabies. The dog in subject has to have rabies first. (How do we know that the particular stray dog has rabies or not?)

But I agree to your point that if my hand has a cut and the stray dog has rabies then I can surely catch it.
The ONLY way we can identify whether a dog has rabies is when it dies I believe. Again, if a dog is infected with rabies, I don't think it will be kind enough "just to lick" someone!

Quote:
Here is a friendly local bloke whom I call Zolf who comes to our house for grub. He is an old chap and wise too!
The other fella is Spotty and the third is Goldey.
Lovely dogs! I remember a "wise" one in Bangy who would always be around the tea-shop which I used to visit regularly.If I buy something to eat, he would come and sit in front of me, looking at me. No aggression, no barking, keeps a 2 foot space and keeps looking at me. If I turn around (to avoid him), he would also come around and sit in front of me so that I see him! Used to love him for that "cultured" approach. But recently I had a bad experience with another one who was demanding to give it's share, by jumping on me and trying to bite on the piece from hand!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th November 2013 at 17:12.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 18:49   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wish all people had such noble thoughts, animals on this planet would have lived very happily. As one spiritual guru said- In Kalyug if you cannot do good to others at least don't do bad things.OT

Gandhiji said that a nation is measured by the compassion it shows for its animals.

We have Jainism, Buddhism's teachings and Hinduism's Ahimsa. Unfortunately the world (especially in the cities) is full of greed, avarice and selfishness nowadays.

Poor animals have no space here.

Sad.

Hearteningly the poor of India willingly share their crumbs with their pet dogs or other strays. That is a wonderful thing to see!

The rich, by contrast, couldn't care less.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 18:54   #265
BHPian

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/25905986.cms

Another case of cruelty against dogs by some dumb govt. official.
amit_purohit20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 19:06   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/25905986.cms Another case of cruelty against dogs by some dumb govt. official.
Illustrates what I just posted about intolerance and so on...
Truly we have a very long way to go as a civilization.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 22:08   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Hearteningly the poor of India willingly share their crumbs with their pet dogs or other strays. That is a wonderful thing to see!

The rich, by contrast, couldn't care less.
This is a photo someone shared on my FB page:
Attached Thumbnails
The Street dog menace-995519_573582729362138_134418284_n.jpg  

archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 17:45   #268
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Illustrates what I just posted about intolerance and so on...
Truly we have a very long way to go as a civilization.
My heart goes out to these poor defenceless creatures, and my blood boils on reading this.

How can you just randomly decide to shoot them? How about getting them vaccinated/sterlized instead? Such a waste of 150 lives!

And this was a Panchayat head. Such people are never civilized.

Some comments on the article are even more nauseating.
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 18:40   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
My heart goes out to these poor defenceless creatures, and my blood boils on reading this.

How can you just randomly decide to shoot them? How about getting them vaccinated/sterlized instead? Such a waste of 150 lives!

And this was a Panchayat head. Such people are never civilized.

Some comments on the article are even more nauseating.
Despicable, but hardly surprising behavior. I feel like laughing at the person who said 'Homo Sapiens' is the most intelligent species in existence. Tough to believe that when everything I see around me points to the exact opposite.

We're thoughtless, emotionless and cruel to the point of being barbaric, as long it's not affecting us and/or ours. We leave these poor animals with nowhere to go, then brutalize them for 'interfering' with 'our space'.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 18:57   #270
Senior - BHPian

I have not come across any single stray dog, who has charged at me without any provocation,and i am friends with quite a few of them at random locations.I always have 20-30 packets of biscuits stacked in my car for them.
If wishes were horses i would have rescued all of them.

Btw just came across this little girl last Tuesday morning,and she was abandoned by some human,as she was trying to chase each and every possible soul around,as i was on my morning jog,the poor thing chased me for about a km,before she was tired,and dropped huffinf and puffing;crying.Came back home,but just couldn't get her cries off my mind,picked my car and drove back in search of her,and as expected ,spotted her chasing people,and no one cared.Picked her up,drove back home fed her with milk and biscuits,and put her in the outhouses,from where she escaped,never to be found again.
Attached Thumbnails
The Street dog menace-1003953_424420177658449_737513651_n.jpg  

Last edited by akshay4587 : 18th November 2013 at 19:03.
akshay4587 is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote