Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 2nd July 2014, 04:25   #286
BHPian

Default Re: The Street dog menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
No offence, but I feel that the dogs stay around the house that feeds them daily. I've seen this happen. Couple of stray dogs always stay in front of certain house in our area, and bark and anyone who walk/ride near to that place. This is the sole reason why I don't feed stray dogs.
My dad feeds the stray dogs now and then. When I rebuke him, he calmly answers me that they will guard the house at night.

I must confess, he's got a point there. I have seen those stray dogs guard the house at night.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 05:20   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Let me ask a very controversial question here that crossed my mind, here it is,

If lakhs of harmless/less harmful animals are killed for the satisfaction of human tongue everyday, is it really wrong to consider killing some thousands of animals once in a year or so that are dangerous to us, especially kids and may result in the spreading of dangerous diseases like rabies?

Let me mention that I am against animal violence. I do not eat meat for the same reason and avoid using leather in most cases except motorcycle safety gear. So I'm not suggesting any violence against any animal.

Thanks in advance.

PS No offence intended to anyone's feelings or beliefs.
Nothing will happen.
Matter of fact - Be happy you're not being hounded for this statement, unlike on FB or other SM.

Fact is - you can't do anything in this country today because of some of the laws and some of our citizens.

Our apartment complex in gurgaon had zero strays when we moved in, in 2010.

Over time, we had some dog lovers who started feeding the main road dogs AND BROUGHT THEM INSIDE the complex.

Now there are about 5-7 in each set of towers (kinda like one for each tower). It is a total nuisance but in spite of involving MCG and the police, these morons and the associated animal welfare groups won't relocate the dogs out of the complex- they think its their birth right to feed the dogs outside their towers, but not 200m away on the main road. Now there are strays that have taken up residence in the parking and women residents who regularly report run-ins with the dogs while parking their cars, besides adults / kids /family pets who get attacked in the parks every couple of days. Every month someone posts about needing to get injections because they were attacked by the dogs.

This is one thing on which the RWA has said that our hands are legally tied and we just cannot do anything unless "these" dog lovers relent. Basically a bunch of 20-30 folks holding 1400 families hostage.

My cynical belief is that the only way something will happen is when an elderly person or a baby gets badly mauled, then the resulting outrage can help correct things.

The irony is that there is no western civilized state (or even the arabs/ASEAN) where its considered reasonable to let strays proliferate and multiply as much as here in India. Gandhi ji's logic was very close to yours, btw.
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:52   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

The irony is that there is no western civilized state (or even the arabs/ASEAN) where its considered reasonable to let strays proliferate and multiply as much as here in India. Gandhi ji's logic was very close to yours, btw.
Just feeding is not enough. Feed and sterilize, and vaccinate. That is the only way to curb the population. Remember, dogs or much less even us don't choose to be born. And just because you don't feed them, doesn't mean they won't survive. Sure they'll starve, but they'll survive unless you ship them all off to a concentration camp.

I guess it's bound to happen to us humans too sometime. Someone is going to take a look at our little planet and say, it's time bring the numbers of this menace down
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:21   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
My dad feeds the stray dogs now and then. When I rebuke him, he calmly answers me that they will guard the house at night.

I must confess, he's got a point there. I have seen those stray dogs guard the house at night.
We have 5-7 stray dogs all the time in our street, fed by the neighbors for the same reason. But, so far 4 times petrol has been stolen from my vehicle alone and a 21 gear off road bike of mine (though it was chained to the pillar) was taken (they have come with tools). You know they come with enough preparation, first think may be food to the dogs.
joe_antony is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 21:10   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_antony View Post
We have 5-7 stray dogs all the time in our street, fed by the neighbors for the same reason. But, so far 4 times petrol has been stolen from my vehicle alone and a 21 gear off road bike of mine (though it was chained to the pillar) was taken (they have come with tools). You know they come with enough preparation, first think may be food to the dogs.
Most of the thefts as the above take place when there is no sufficient light or when street lights are missing.

I am lucky that my street is illuminated at night. Do you park your vehicles where there is enough light? If not, then that should be the reason for petrol thefts.
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 09:45   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Most of the thefts as the above take place when there is no sufficient light or when street lights are missing.

I am lucky that my street is illuminated at night. Do you park your vehicles where there is enough light? If not, then that should be the reason for petrol thefts.
No, the lights at the parking area is put off at nights, may be we need to change that.
joe_antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 04:51   #292
BHPian

Our area in Jodhpur Park used to be mostly stray-free but a woman who has rented a small shop for her flower business is quite a stray aficionado. She and her staff of 2 regularly started encouraging and feeding the occasional strays. We caught her staff leaving biscuits on the footpath outside our premises several times and finally that has stopped; instead they leave a newspaper filled with rice and biscuits every night on their side of the footpath which the dogs don't even eat and the poor street janitor has to clean up every morning. The sight is positively sickening.

Anyway the result of all this feeding was a small permanent population of 4-6 strays not including a birthing mother with 3-4 pups. The pups used to be a real problem because in the rain they squeezed inside the collapsible gate of one of our garages and would lie behind the front wheel, usually passenger side. Unlike cats they would not move out when my parents or I would get in to drive and it's just a bit of good luck that they escaped bodily injury.

Now there are stray dogs loitering around all the time and at night I sometimes have a bit of fear when I return because there is no predicting the temperament of these creatures (many of which gather around when I am revving up the car a bit to drive it up into the angled garage). It's become necessary to keep the front door closed always because of the risk that one will slip inside. Unfortunately there's not much more that we can do and I am ashamed to find myself secretly hoping for someone to be bitten so that some serious steps can be done to curb this menace.

Last edited by Kumar R : 21st July 2014 at 04:53.
Kumar R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 09:36   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

My brother-in-law until he became a High Court Judge and gave up driving had the unfortunate record of hitting a stray every time he drove a new car (incl. mine). It was unintentional.

Last edited by GTO : 11th December 2014 at 13:11. Reason: Adding clarity based on your eventual posts
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 00:30   #294
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Street dog menace. A novel DIY to scare them away.

A novel method to scare away stray dogs.
Take empty drinking water bottles and fill them up with blue water. Mix some ultramarine blue used for increasing brightness of white clothes. Keep it at random distances in your area. No dog will ever come any way near.
This is catching up in Kerala quite fast these days as there are plenty of them in every locality.
Attaching a picture clicked at a Vytilla residential area.
Attached Thumbnails
The Street dog menace-photo0397.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 5th December 2014 at 00:33.
rajeev k is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 08:57   #295
Team-BHP Support

ToI has a new article on this blue bottle thingy - Local idea to keep strays at bay puzzle veterinarians

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToI
"We have now placed around five bottles after our sweeper was bitten. Now there is no stray dog menace. We came to know about this method from local residents and so far, it has been a huge success. But we don't know the science behind why the liquid is driving canines away," he said.

Veterinary experts too admitted that the phenomenon, if true, is puzzling.

"I suppose the blue reflection from the fluid might be scaring the dogs and that's why they fear to come near the bottles. But, no study has been conducted so far on the reason behind blue colour deterring stray dogs," said Jacob V Cheeran, a veterinarian.
Another one - Of Ujala and dog poop

Quote:
Regardless of the reason, the Ujala mixture seems to work pretty well. As a final test and in the spirit of scientific enquiry, I removed the bottle, only to be greeted with fresh dog poop the following morning. So I think it’s safe to conclude that the ‘Ujala bottle theory’ isn’t a myth.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 07:21   #296
BHPian

Oh that's an innovative idea. Wish there something similar to scare away pigeons too..
Please do share of someone knows..
_chikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 12:18   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Oh that's an innovative idea. Wish there something similar to scare away pigeons too..
Please do share of someone knows..
I once sprinkled lots of red chilly powder on the balcony to scare away the pigeons. It worked for a while.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 15:06   #298
Team-BHP Support

I went to the market and bought a net(agri shops have this for orchards). Sealed balcony. Some still get in once in a blue moon though. These flying rats are tenacious.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 16:17   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I once sprinkled lots of red chilly powder on the balcony to scare away the pigeons. It worked for a while.
Me and my neighbors have tried all known tricks for keeping these pigeons away, but they always manage to come back. We have tried chilli powder, dog models, colourful ribbons and none of these work in the long run and they keep coming back.
We even found that they had built a nest and laid eggs the last time we went on a vacation.

I have read that fencing the balcony is the only sure shot way of keeping these birds at bay and I am on the look out for good quality nets.
Any idea of any good place to source the nets from?
SR71-Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 16:30   #300
Team-BHP Support

Man, pigeons are a menace!

In our previous apartment, we had the AC’s outdoor unit installed in the balcony and the pigeons would happily build their home there, carrying twigs. We don’t have a problem with that. We had our clothes line on the balcony’s grill and these pigeons used to crap on the freshly hung clothes. At least 2-3 of them had to be washed again. We finally got fed up, stuffed some cardboard boxes atop the outdoor unit so it touched the ceiling leaving no space atop the unit and the pigeons left. But still used to perch on the balcony grills.

Their purring/cooing is so damn annoying on Sunday mornings!
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote