Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2014, 16:33   #301
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 501
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: The Street dog menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
We even found that they had built a nest and laid eggs the last time we went on a vacation.
I have read that fencing the balcony is the only sure shot way of keeping these birds at bay and I am on the look out for good quality nets.
Any idea of any good place to source the nets from?
You are right , two days I was away from home , the wind has blown the chilly powder and the piegons have built a nest and laid eggs. To cover your balcony you might need to fabricate i frame first , after that you can either get a removable velcro type mesh or a proper steel mesh . Any hardware shop must be able to sell you that metal mesh.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 16:57   #302
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 27
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: The Street dog menace

When I was living in Singapore, the owner of the apartment in which I was living, have fixed two colorful small fans (which works in the wind - like the one we make out of paper, but this one made of plastic ) in the balcony to scare away birds. When I have shifted, I have carried one of them to my place and fixed the same in our apartment balcony. After fixing this fan there was no bird menace if I remember correctly. This thing is made of plastic and even with normal wind it used to spin very fast and makes a creepy noise which I guess scared away the birds.
AjiGTI is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 22:26   #303
BHPian
 
andydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: bangalore
Posts: 83
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: The Street dog menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
Me and my neighbors have tried all known tricks for keeping these pigeons away, but they always manage to come back. We have tried chilli powder, dog models, colourful ribbons and none of these work in the long run and they keep coming back.
We even found that they had built a nest and laid eggs the last time we went on a vacation.

I have read that fencing the balcony is the only sure shot way of keeping these birds at bay and I am on the look out for good quality nets.
Any idea of any good place to source the nets from?
You can buy it from JC Road, there are many shops on main JC Road selling it. I had picked up last year for my two balconies and had costed me about Rs.1200 for the basic variety and it served the purpose.
andydude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 15:42   #304
BHPian
 
poised2drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 259
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: The Street dog menace

The Watchdog of the Indian Constitution has come to the rescue of the human's oldest friend.

"The Supreme Court on Monday, while refusing to be "dog-phobic", questioned the authority of municipal bodies to pick stray dogs off the streets and kill them simply because they are a "nuisance" to the public.

"A faithful dog is a faithful friend," said a bench headed by justice Dipak Misra while hearing a petition filed by People for Elimination of Stray Animals, which wants stray dogs to be killed as they are a menace.

The bench noted the animal welfare laws do not clearly define "nuisance" and that causes a problem."

Source- http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-...1-1313049.aspx

More from http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle6849038.ece

The municipal authorities' callous attitude has to be blamed [ but if course, nothing better of them can be expected] who choose to exterminate those lovely creatures when they always have the option of sterilizing them.
poised2drive is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 16:29   #305
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 184
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: The Street dog menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Wish there something similar to scare away pigeons too..
Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I once sprinkled lots of red chilly powder on the balcony to scare away the pigeons. It worked for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I went to the market and bought a netSome still get in once in a blue moon though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
I have read that fencing the balcony is the only sure shot way of keeping these birds at bay and I am on the look out for good quality nets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Man, pigeons are a menace!We finally got fed up, stuffed some cardboard boxes atop the outdoor unit so it touched the ceiling leaving no space atop the unit and the pigeons left.
We too are facing similar issues. Ours is a terrace apartment with the terrace of same size as apartment on the top floor. We have covered the terrace partially and the pigeons use the metal structure to sit, sleep and do their duties in the morning.

Now we have started sealing off all the points where these pigeons can sit using nets/wire ropes. It has helped to an extent that there are far lesser number of pigeon spottings and I think that once we have eliminated all places where they can rest their feet, they will not be able to sit inside at least, although they do sit on top of the covered terrace.
luvDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 06:22   #306
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 690
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: The Street dog menace

To all those dog lovers, have you ever tried walking in the street at night or early morning being chased by multiple dogs barking at you? Have you ever been bitten by a dog?

I have been chased by dogs in my new neighbourhood. I have also been bitten by a dog but luckily due to heavy winterwear the teeth scraped through my dress.

I think if it happened to you, you would have a new point of view.

Dogs are great, but as pet, not on streets chasing people. Oh, by the way, please check the new OLX ad, I don;t think it is impossible.

I stayed in US for quite some time. Almost everybody has a dog at home, people love dogs there too, but no stray dogs please.
sumannandy is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 22:08   #307
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 639
Thanked: 299 Times
Default Re: The Street dog menace

Somehow its only the people who hate/dislike or are scared of dogs seem to draw their intention. I have always noticed if several people are in a group, dogs will always bark at or go close to the ones that try to shoo them away or try to avoid them.
While I am an animal lover, I agree that too many stray dogs in an area can be a nuisance due to barking, defecating and so on but I will never agree that they should be removed or put down because they could attack you. If dogs are chasing you you can be pretty sure the blame lies with you, either in your nature which they can sense or maybe you just happen to be carrying a big juicy steak !!

Pigeons however are a different matter. They need to be put down en masse ASAP. Invasive and disease carrying creatures who have no role in the ecosystem and drive away other birds. Even crows are 10 times more useful in their role of scavengers.
"Kabootarkhanas" need to be banned.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 22:13   #308
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default Re: The Street dog menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
To all those dog lovers, have you ever tried walking in the street at night or early morning being chased by multiple dogs barking at you? Have you ever been bitten by a dog?

I have been chased by dogs in my new neighbourhood. I have also been bitten by a dog but luckily due to heavy winterwear the teeth scraped through my dress.

I think if it happened to you, you would have a new point of view.

Dogs are great, but as pet, not on streets chasing people. Oh, by the way, please check the new OLX ad, I don;t think it is impossible.

I stayed in US for quite some time. Almost everybody has a dog at home, people love dogs there too, but no stray dogs please.
I am a dog lover, and yes i walk along multiple random stray dogs, almost on a daily basis(i feed them).
Never in my life i have had a random dog charge at me, forget about being bitten.
Dogs or any animal do not just chase randomly, they do so, if they sense trouble.
akshay4587 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 22:29   #309
BHPian
 
sumannandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 690
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: The Street dog menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I am a dog lover, and yes i walk along multiple random stray dogs, almost on a daily basis(i feed them).
Never in my life i have had a random dog charge at me, forget about being bitten.
Dogs or any animal do not just chase randomly, they do so, if they sense trouble.
Not to hurt your sentiment, we are getting a pet dog too. But street dogs in Bangalore are real problems, may be not in your area. I have provided specific examples where I was chased, all I did was get out of my new house. My uncle was bitten by a stray dog in Kolkata. Check the links below, dogs killed child, what do you tell to the parents?

http://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore/re...-magic-1561446

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/7273205.cms

Residents complaining about stray dogs:
http://bcity.in/issues/4948

And if a stray dog bites you, would you not take medicines or injections or would you wait to find whether it was sterilized.

I traveled extensively in US, but nowhere there were stray dogs.

I am not against dogs, but definitely against street dogs creating problems
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 22:36   #310
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default Re: The Street dog menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
If dogs are chasing you you can be pretty sure the blame lies with you, either in your nature which they can sense or maybe you just happen to be carrying a big juicy steak !!
Your logic is the dog lover's equivalent of victim blaming. That is true in some proportion of the cases but not in absolute terms.

My erstwhile complex had a 1 year old baby whose neck was clawed at by 3 strays (who charged in from ~25m away) but thankfully no lasting damage. It was the maid's fault for stepping a couple of meter away, the baby's fault for sitting in the grass and not understanding that the strays just wanted to play, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Dogs or any animal do not just chase randomly, they do so, if they sense trouble.
Fact is that many (stray) dogs have territorial instincts and attack per their perceptions (yes they may have been abused by some idiotic humans but a few do attack innocent humans).

Most stray dogs are harmless but there are enough who pick on humans for no reason.

I used to be chased by a dog while cycling on a particular road. For no reason. It would literally ambush me from behind even if I would be on the rightmost lane of the divided carriageway. I would have no chance of even seeing it coming, much less try to demonstrate some empathy when cycling at 25-28 kph.

I tried avoiding, tried stopping and talking nicely or standing still (sorry i wasnt going to feed him). Nothing worked. You know what worked? Taking the damn dog head on. Like that literal quote about the two types of dogs. Almost.

Did the dog get more scarred? Probably.
Did I have a choice? No. I wasnt going to stop cycling. I wasn't happy about it but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

Epilogue: This debate is endless and ne'er the twain shall meet. Meanwhile the problem grows.

Last edited by phamilyman : 21st February 2015 at 22:40.
phamilyman is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 22:50   #311
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,423
Thanked: 6,347 Times
Default Re: The Street dog menace

I have had ONLY good experiences with street dogs. To such an extent that I started loving the stray dogs (which I have encountered) because I find them extremely well mannered. These are in Bangy as well as Mumbai; and yes - I have read about bad dogs in Bangy (and quite a lot). My take is that the dogs which live near butcher shops tend to be more aggressive. The dogs in Bangy would bark crazily at you in after mid night, but if you keep calm and mind your business, they do NOT even come close.

Me and my team mates are so much in awe of 3-4 stray dogs in Sakinaka that we plan to do a photoshoot of those and send it to an organization who work for the betterment of such dogs, to create a calendar.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st February 2015 at 22:52.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 23:34   #312
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 639
Thanked: 299 Times
Default Re: The Street dog menace

phamilyman : Sorry I didnt put down my thoughts in the right way. I meant that it is not the animals fault. It is not in their nature to do anything without a reason. Yes, a dog might turn aggressive due to someone beating it regularly or is attracted to humans because they associate us with food. They are a product of their environment.

About the kid : Can you say for sure that they attacked him with intent to harm him ? They could be overfriendly and accidentally harmed him since they dont have anyone to clip their nails like pet dogs. Why wasnt the childs maid or parents vigilant ? They dogs wouldnt have just appreared from the ether. If these dogs were known to be aggressive then why not shoo them away or take away the child when they started coming closer ? Why were there stray dogs in the building ? Was a resident feeding them ? Do they have a small kid that plays with the dogs ? Did the victim have any food on him ? There are too many variables for you to outright say that stray dogs just teleported in from Mars to attack the child just cos thats how they roll. Dont you agree ?

As for the dog chasing you when you are cycling, you have not mentioned it causing you any harm. You have even mentioned standing still when it was chasing you. Nothing happened right ? When you drive, there are so many other horrible drivers who put your life in so much more danger with their rash driving, what do you do then ?

OK so you ran over him when he decided to randomly run across your path. Fair enough its not worth risking your safety in such a scenario. I myself had a near miss on the Mumbai Pune Expressway when I had to swerve suddenly to avoid a stray dog that suddenly ran across the road and have vowed to continue driving straight if I encounter the same scenario again.

You need to realize that every creature has the right to exist in the world and has its own position n our ecosystem. If you want to blame an animal for doing something unnatural or being where it should be, you can be sure that a human is responsible for it.

So next time you want to blame a dog for chasing you or attacking you, instead blame your ancestors for taming dogs and bringing them to guard their homes built on top of what used to be the dogs own homes, the old lady who feeds the dogs because she is lonely and the drunkard who beats the dog mercilessly just because the dog approached him thinking all humans might feed him when he is hungry.

I am all for sterilizing and relocating stray dogs for whatever reason except one which claims that it is needed to prevent them from harming people.

That said, Im all for aggressive measures against pigeons :P

Did you guys know that the reason pigeons are so numerous and common are because a few centuries ago pigeons were raised en masse as a source of meat before chicken farming was widespread and once chicken farming became more common pigeons were released into whatever environment they were in by farmers all over the world to replace them with chickens ?
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2015, 00:41   #313
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,399
Thanked: 3,426 Times
Default Re: The Street dog menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Somehow its only the people who hate/dislike or are scared of dogs seem to draw their intention. I have always noticed if several people are in a group, dogs will always bark at or go close to the ones that try to shoo them away or try to avoid them.
While I am an animal lover, I agree that too many stray dogs in an area can be a nuisance due to barking, defecating and so on but I will never agree that they should be removed or put down because they could attack you. If dogs are chasing you you can be pretty sure the blame lies with you, either in your nature which they can sense or maybe you just happen to be carrying a big juicy steak !!

Pigeons however are a different matter. They need to be put down en masse ASAP. Invasive and disease carrying creatures who have no role in the ecosystem and drive away other birds. Even crows are 10 times more useful in their role of scavengers.
"Kabootarkhanas" need to be banned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I am all for sterilizing and relocating stray dogs for whatever reason except one which claims that it is needed to prevent them from harming people.

That said, Im all for aggressive measures against pigeons :P
It is funny how people choose their favourites amongst animals too and then claim a moral high ground and talk of equality for all. You have had good experiences with dogs or are a dog lover and hence you strongly voice your opinion in their favor. On the other hand you are frustrated with an other species ( pigeons here) and want aggressive measures against them? We all know that in the end in our country atleast ( and even for that matter in the USA), aggressive measures mean putting these animals to sleep. Infact on an earth that is proving smaller day by day for humans, I do not expect anyone to build up large holding facilities for these other species.

So even love for animals is also conditional and based on your fancies?

Also for a fact rabies carried by dogs is incurable and the patient will DIE. Pigeons at best harbour fungal spores that can still be treated and managed. So on technical grounds too that statement is wrong that pigeons pose a health hazard whereas dogs are fine.

Last edited by drmohitg : 22nd February 2015 at 00:45.
drmohitg is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2015, 01:58   #314
BHPian
 
Octane_Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 625
Thanked: 399 Times
Default Re: The Street dog menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You know what worked? Taking the damn dog head on. Like that literal quote about the two types of dogs. Almost.

Did the dog get more scarred? Probably.
Did I have a choice? No. I wasnt going to stop cycling. I wasn't happy about it but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.
While riding my bike I have been chased by dogs at innumerable places in Mumbai. But there is this one dog which scares the hell out of me everytime I have to pass through its "territory". The dogs there chase only after 1 am, before that its all cool.

It is a well lit divider-less road with buildings on both sides and some 25 feet wide which gets reduced because of the parked vehicles. It is a group(or whatever a collection of dogs is called) of 4-5 dogs from which 3 are the aggressive ones and from those 3, one is the Hercules! Taller than the rest, lean, physique like a dobberman (not one though). I have literally seen him come into a 'ready to charge' position when he sees my bike approaching from 20-30 metres away. It is the exact same pose which lions strike before charging on their prey. And imagine all this at 2-3 in the night! I really get scared some times thinking what if I lose balance and skid while trying to zoom past them! The way he shoots with his 2 colleagues on the other side is simply frightening.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2015, 06:17   #315
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default Re: The Street dog menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
I really get scared some times thinking what if I lose balance and skid while trying to zoom past them! The way he shoots with his 2 colleagues on the other side is simply frightening.

-Bhargav
perfect - that has been my concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
As for the dog chasing you when you are cycling, you have not mentioned it causing you any harm. You have even mentioned standing still when it was chasing you. Nothing happened right ?
Oh, that came after almost getting bitten 2-3 times. The sneaky bugger that he was, he would charge at me from my blind spot - to the left, but from behind. This is at a toll naka where there's crazy speed breakers and potholes. He would ambush me just before that.

After the first incident i nearly fell off and got vigilant. Then i got to a point where I'd stop 50m from the toll naka and WALK the bike, quietly but glaring and occasionally shouting. Yet he'd lunge at me. Then I figured out where he would often come from, and shout / throw a stone pre-emptively at where it was literally hiding. After about a week of doing that, he never bothered me again.

I normally just shout at aggressive strays or try and pretend to throw something. This is the only stray that i remember counter-attacking with such vigor because he just won't leave me alone. Horses for courses is all I'd say.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bajaj Avenger 150 Street / 220 Street launched at INR 75,000 / 84,000 aniketi Motorbikes 27 6th September 2016 09:46
Morris Street : A Customised Street Rod, made in Delhi GTO The Indian Car Scene 26 22nd July 2012 18:46
Rescued a street dog after a crash-Need Suggestions akshay4587 Street Experiences 100 28th March 2012 10:16
Need to get a dog - help?? hot_rod Shifting gears 48 1st April 2009 15:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks