Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 19th April 2008, 10:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

Am a dog lover, rather the whole family is one. But one thing that my father told me when I was learning driving was that on a highway shouldn't swerve or stand on the break pedal to save a dog or a cat etc.

I always remeber his words when I embark on InterState, but never have had the heart to implement it in letter or spirit..
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 10:50   #47
BHPian

Well, what so many of you guys have against dogs, I have against crows.

Its like this. I used to be an avid bicyclist in Calcutta, and used to do long bike rides each Sunday morning. On one such ride at around 6 in the morning, on the Eastern Bypass I was riding along quietly, enjoying the wind in my hair and beautiful greenery around when something hit me in the face.

It hit me so hard, that I lost all my bearing and didn't even realise that I had fallen. I had been going at about 40 kmph, which believe me, is pretty fast for a bicycle, and the fact that I was wearing shorts did not help matters a bit. I went scraping along the road and stopped a good 10 metres or so ahead. Luckily, at that time of the day there was hardly any traffic and the lone Amby was still 50 metres behind me. The occupants peered out of the window as they drove past me, not wanting to get involved in an accident case.

Thankfully, I realised nothing was broken, except for the rear-shifter and the front derailleur on the bike. This meant I would have to ride home on the highest gear.

Having regained my bearings, I looked around to find out what had caused my fall. There where I had first hit the road, lay a crow, dead, squashed. I guess it too never knew what hit it. Must have flow out of the field and not heard or seem me coming, and that was the end of the crow.

So, while I am quite OK with dogs roaming the streets (no trouble with them yet; in fact I am quite an animal lover) its crows that I am still wary of.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 10:56   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Am a dog lover, rather the whole family is one. But one thing that my father told me when I was learning driving was that on a highway shouldn't swerve or stand on the break pedal to save a dog or a cat etc.

I always remeber his words when I embark on InterState, but never have had the heart to implement it in letter or spirit..
Same here. I love dogs. Back home,with my parents, we have a German shepherd (all black!). He has been with us for the last 8 years.

But as said, on a highway, will never swerve for a dog / cat / goat / hen / anything that causes minimal damage to the vehicle (except humans!). But fortunately have never faced a situation (guess the animals can read the drivers mind!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Well, what so many of you guys have against dogs, I have against crows...

thats one unique experience. I hope you did not have too many bruises. Take care mate.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 11:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
thats one unique experience. I hope you did not have too many bruises. Take care mate.
Yeah sounds funny now, but I know how I managed to get home. I was dripping blood from all over, my cheek bones my knuckles, my elbows and my knees. A friend, whom I visited just then (his dad was a doctor) for an anti-tetanus shot almost fainted on seeing me.

I still have signs of the bruises after 12 years.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 11:15   #50
Senior - BHPian

Oopps ...good you are safe!

Couple of years back i rammed into a dog on NH17, i think i was doing about 80+...thanks to my riding gear dint get hurt and the strong bike took the impact... just the crash guard got bent....got it fixed and continued towards Bangalore...
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 11:48   #51
Senior - BHPian

I have a friend and junior for college - junior for 7 years in two different institutions - whom we shall call PP. He is tall, about 6`3". He was oversize at birth, and due to difficulties during delivery, one of his hands is err... useless.

Native of Trichur, he was brilliant at studies and excelled in the profession. He, like me, had taken a short break before PG, after graduation.

Couple of months after Post graduation, he and some of his local friends decided to go to some place on two wheelers. And a dog jumped across and they fell down. Due to his disability, PP could not protect his face and he was not wearing a helmet. He survived. His brain is fully functional. His body is fully functional.

But his speech is slurred. And reflexes have slowed down. Means no more profession, or any job for him. It is pathetic to talk to him. He often calls me over phone, and he realises when I cannot understand him, and patiently repeats. He admits that not not many have the kind of patience I have. But his analytic and logical skills are still there.

An active brain, with not much means of expression can lead to frustration. And tha is what he is facing now.

Sorry for this long rant. But, no dog is worth more than a human life.

The other side.

At our native place, we had a fierce, and tiny dog. (the short and long like sausage one - labrador?). It was a costal area, and they had to depend on piped water, which was available only between 2 and 5 AM, and ladies of the house had to go to collect it. The dog used to guard the ladies of the house (and others at the public tap). When I was small, I used to ride it like a horse - none of my other cousins were allowed that privilege by him. And he used to lick me from top to toe during my week end visits. (I used to be like Yuuuck!!!! hahaha!!! and took a bath after the welcome treatment.)

One day, it was run over by a bus. And I was the only one in the family who cried. I guess I know what feels like a run over dog. But I guess I do not want to be biker knocked down by a dog.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 12:12   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
... He admits that not not many have the kind of patience I have...
You have a good heart mate!

Quote:
... And he used to lick me from top to toe during my week end visits. (I used to be like Yuuuck!!!! hahaha!!! and took a bath after the welcome treatment.)
Tell me about it! Get the same treatment. Had no problems till 4 years back (and then I got married). Wifey hates dogs! And now-a-days have to do a through wash if I play with man's-best-friend and get back into the house!

PS: Am trying to get my little one to get used to having a pet. Long term agenda!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 12:29   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
This may come as a surprise to many but that most famous preacher of non-violence we call the father of the nation strongly advocated killing of all stray dogs.

A few quotes:
  1. "........It is a sin; it should be a sin to feed stray dogs and we should save numerous dogs if we had legislation making every stray dog liable to be shot. Even if those who feed stray dogs consented to pay a penalty for their misdirected compassion we should be free from the curse of stray dogs.”
  2. “A roving dog without an owner is a danger to society and a swarm of them is a menace to its very existence…. If we want to keep dogs in towns or villages in a decent manner no dog should be suffered to wander. There should be no stray dogs even as we have no stray cattle…. But can we take individual charge of these roving dogs? Can we have a pinjrapole for them? If both these things are impossible then there seems to me no alternative except to kill them.”
  3. “I am therefore strongly of the opinion that if we practice the religion of humanity we should have a law making it obligatory on those who would have dogs to keep them under guard and not allow them to stray and making all stray dogs to be liable to be destroyed after a certain date.”
Check this for more:

Gandhiji’s writings on the stray dog issue, in his paper Young India.
Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
Hey buddy, glad to hear that you are alright, i know how it feels about losing a car or bike to an incident like this. But its your life that is important.

Altough your accident didnt happen at high speed, i just wanted to share this with everybody, if at high speed please do refrain from swerving hard in order to avoid hitting any animal on the road. Any sudden move at those speeds can lead to disaster. Forget about the car getting hit and stuff. It can be repaired, life cant.

"This incident happened when a dog ran out in front of the car while going around a curve. Driver sacrificed the car in exchange for dog's life."

Quoted from a website. Dosent say anything about the driver after the incident. Car is a 2006 M5.

Attachment 9585

Attachment 9586

Attachment 9587

Attachment 9588
That driver has soul. He saw it in the right perspective- the damned car is but a gadget.
But, as someone pointed out, when one is riding at speed and is confronted suddenly by a dog/small animal, it makes more sense to brace oneself, grip the bars hard, and hit it head on rather than brake and attempt to avoid it, as it has been shown that in the latter case, invariably there's damage done to both rider and animal, whereas in the first instance it's just the animal.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 14:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But his speech is slurred. And reflexes have slowed down. Means no more profession, or any job for him....But his analytic and logical skills are still there.
Can he work in IT?? Maybe companies will not give him job but he can get freelancer projects and build a career from there.

I know its easier said then done, but it that a possibility with him?
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 15:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

My only experience with a stray dog on the road, happened when I was driving my Chevy (lucky for me!!!). I was returning to Pune from Kerala and I was near Yellapur in Karnataka. I was on 110 and was cruising. Suddenly a dog, a big one, jumped into the middle of the road. It saw my vehicle and got confused, not knowing where to run. I did not touch my brakes, just took my foot of the accelerator and rammed it. The impact was fully absorbed by the crash guard and the point of impact was near my right fog lamps. My wife got really scared.

The dog was thrown to the right side of the road and I could hear its cries. I felt sad, but the fact is that I wouldn't sacrifice my safety just to save a dog!!! If I had stepped on my brakes, I would have skidded and anything could have happened.

My advice to all is to never brake under these circumstances. Just take your foot off the pedal and hope that the animal runs away. If you hit it, just drive away! Don't wait for the locals to create problems.
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 15:15   #56
Team-BHP Support

I have been chased by big monkey while riding between Hyderabad and Pune.

Then it spotted my bearded friend and dumped me for him.
And this monkey could run fast.
My friend barely escaped with his izzat intact.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 20:37   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Can he work in IT?? Maybe companies will not give him job but he can get freelancer projects and build a career from there.

Will ask him / family. I did consider it, but really, I do not know. Asking him to relearn may be difficult.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 21:23   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have been chased by big monkey while riding between Hyderabad and Pune.

Then it spotted my bearded friend and dumped me for him.
And this monkey could run fast.
My friend barely escaped with his izzat intact.
hahaha..thats funny!! trying to picture the monkey chasing your friend!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 22:17   #59
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't it unsettle a car if it hits a stray dog at high speed. Or is it that the impact can't even be felt apart from the sound of a thud.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 22:50   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Doesn't it unsettle a car if it hits a stray dog at high speed. Or is it that the impact can't even be felt apart from the sound of a thud.
If we are travelling at high speed, and if you hit a dog, then it would be possible that there might be a thud & dent on your car.

But if you hit a bigger animal like a cow, then the damages will be more.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote