Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st April 2008, 23:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Doesn't it unsettle a car if it hits a stray dog at high speed. Or is it that the impact can't even be felt apart from the sound of a thud.
Yes,for a car like an 800 even a dog at 100 kmph can unsettle things,but suddenly braking at that speed can unsettle all the tyres
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:00   #62
BHPian

Its still ok for dogs to be hit. I've been in the gulf for most of my life, and there the biggest problem is camels. Usually going from Muscat to Dubai, u see a lot of cars all banged up lying over the side of the road, mostly due to camel hits at high speed. The cars there usually go anywhere between 180 - 240 kmph. Imagine hitting a camel at those speed's
funkydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:56   #63
BHPian

In India, it's better to be born as a dog. Human lives have no value......or else how can you explain why we don't worry about us killing each other but create a fuzz when people complain about stray dogs.

Has Mrs. Menaka Gandhi tried walking home late in the evening?
No. She doesn't have to. She can sit inside her car and come up with all the dog protection stuff.

Our country has gone to the dogs...of a different kind.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:32   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
If we are travelling at high speed, and if you hit a dog, then it would be possible that there might be a thud & dent on your car.
But if you hit a bigger animal like a cow, then the damages will be more.
The impact on hitting a dog will be quite big and unsettling. There is a big possibility of a dent too. But a dent is nothing when compared to your safety! The point is to make sure that you don't slam on the brakes. The dog will be most probably thrown out of your way and probably dead.

I have seen a cow run over by a huge truck in Siliguri. We reached the accident spot just seconds after the incident. The truck did not even stop!!!

If your car hits a cow at high speed, there is a good chance that the animal will fall on your bonnet. So be very careful about heavy animals. As mentioned in another post, Camels will defenitely fall on top of the car, when hit!!!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:34   #65
Senior - BHPian

I hit a crow once at 80kph and the there was quite a significant thud after this I can imagine how bad the impact of hitting a dog at higher speeds will be
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:40   #66
Team-BHP Support

Hearsay Warning:

A couple of my dad's colleagues were off to KSA from Dubai.
Two landcruisers (going together) came to a halt after killing 9 camels.
Fine Amount: 9 * 10000 Dhrs = 90000 Dhrs.

The SUV's were a complete wreck but luckily everyone survived.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:45   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Hearsay Warning:

That's a LOT....CameLot!!

On a more serious note, I've heard from friends living there that most camel hits result in fatalties in the vehicles as the camel's body tends to smash onto the roof, and I would guess they weigh a bit.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:45   #68
Team-BHP Support

If you hit a cow/horse/mule there is a good chance that the animal will come in crashing through the windshield and you will die
A few years back I saw a piccie in a newspaper.
A mule had crashed through the windscreen of the car. The Mule died and the driver was battling for life in ICU
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:22   #69
Senior - BHPian

Default Suggest

I suggest you take this street dog to lunch, talk over your differences, have a candid exchange of views and try to find a common ground. This is one way to asure you do not become a species bigot. If this fails, kill him and eat him.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:22   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hearsay Warning:

One question. Do camels roam around freely in Arab countries and is there no fencing on the highways to prevent animals crossing??

I know it is off topic, but just a curiosity!!!
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:27   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you hit a cow/horse/mule there is a good chance that the animal will come in crashing through the windshield and you will die
A few years back I saw a piccie in a newspaper.
A mule had crashed through the windscreen of the car. The Mule died and the driver was battling for life in ICU
@ tsk1979, can you please clear my doubt? What should be done if we come across a big animal on the highway? If there is very little we can do to avoid it. Slamming on the brakes is not an option at high speeds. Hitting it sideways?
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:30   #72
Team-BHP Support

From what I remember most roads have fencing but not all.

on googling found an excellent report
http://www.smj.org.sa/PDFFiles/Aug06...or20051075.pdf
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:33   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From what I remember most roads have fencing but not all.

on googling found an excellent report
http://www.smj.org.sa/PDFFiles/Aug06...or20051075.pdf

That info is simply superb. Thanks, buddy!
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:40   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
@ tsk1979, can you please clear my doubt? What should be done if we come across a big animal on the highway? If there is very little we can do to avoid it. Slamming on the brakes is not an option at high speeds. Hitting it sideways?
It is. If your vehicle is sound, it should skid in a straight line and hit at a lower speed.
I have myself braked(panic braking) at 100kmph. The squeel of the tires made the cow bolt like a horse.
In case of a smaller animal just tap the brakes to slow down so that the poor animal can get out of the way, since braking hard can be dangrous and people behind you can plough into you and you can lose control too, but with a large animal, its like a truck came in front of you.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:57   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
One question. Do camels roam around freely in Arab countries and is there no fencing on the highways to prevent animals crossing??

I know it is off topic, but just a curiosity!!!
There is fencing along the strech, but at quite a few points the fences are broken and due to that the the camels cross the roads. This is extremely dangerous at night. At some point of time way back in early 90's there werent even street lights nor fencing in those days. Cars traveling at high speeds at night used to have frequent accidents with camels.

And yes, the camel is a very heavy animal. People there underestimate its size if there in a big vehicle like the land cruiser. But no matter what vehicle your in, at high speed the impact of anything big or small is always hard.

When hit, the camel falls over the bonnet and over the roof at times tearing it apart like tin foil. If your not killed by that, you'll be dead because your car goes filps over on to the desert sand or into oncomming traffic due to the high speed. Thats why speed radars are there on these roads now.
funkydevil is offline   Reply With Quote