Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 22nd April 2008, 16:47   #76
Senior - BHPian

Thanks funkydevil. That info was really helpful. I don't understand why a filthy rich country like Dubai does not repair thoses highway fences!

I too have heard stories about camels falling on car's roof from my sister who lives in DXB! Really scary!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 20:41   #77
Senior - BHPian

Okay I get it, its a question of your life versus the life of the animal in question.

If its a stray dog or goat, you will probably be safe after hitting it. If it is a cow, camel or elephant, then try to evade, otherwise your life would be in danger. Quite logical.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:35   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I suggest you take this street dog to lunch, talk over your differences, have a candid exchange of views and try to find a common ground. This is one way to asure you do not become a species bigot. If this fails, kill him and eat him.

Ha ha. I loved that. Is that how hot dogs originated?
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 12:14   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebin View Post
Today i witnessed one incident that really shocked me.I was standing near the Jayamahal road.Traffic is always fast in this raod and MORONS test their high speed skills here.I saw a bike coming in average speed and suddenly two street dogs jumped into the road right in front of the bike.The poor guy braked hard and tried to change the lane but it hit the dog.He was thrown out from the seat and the bike dragged him for about 5-10 metres.It seems like the guy is seriously injured.Luckily the vehicles behind him could stop before anything unfortunate happened.

I am so pissed of the Government for allowing these stray dogs to celebrate life like this.Once i also faced their wrath at midnight while riding a bike.When they are collecting so much in taxes why cant they assure the minimum safety of commuters,at least from dogs.What all these taxes and cess is finally used.I think its better to evade taxes when the govt itself cannot take care of even a small issue like this.I am really sad for the poor biker.Hope he is alright

A question: If I dont change lanes/brake when riding a bike and seeing a dog, but choose to run over him/her, what will happen to me? Will I be able to 'ride over' the dog? Is it safer to do this, than try to brake and fall? I am asking this, since most of the previous posts have described how the biker fell and got injured when trying to 'avoid the dog'

Last edited by apachelongbow : 24th April 2008 at 12:17.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 12:26   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
This may come as a surprise to many but that most famous preacher of non-violence we call the father of the nation strongly advocated killing of all stray dogs.

A few quotes:
  1. "........It is a sin; it should be a sin to feed stray dogs and we should save numerous dogs if we had legislation making every stray dog liable to be shot. Even if those who feed stray dogs consented to pay a penalty for their misdirected compassion we should be free from the curse of stray dogs.”
  2. “A roving dog without an owner is a danger to society and a swarm of them is a menace to its very existence…. If we want to keep dogs in towns or villages in a decent manner no dog should be suffered to wander. There should be no stray dogs even as we have no stray cattle…. But can we take individual charge of these roving dogs? Can we have a pinjrapole for them? If both these things are impossible then there seems to me no alternative except to kill them.”
  3. “I am therefore strongly of the opinion that if we practice the religion of humanity we should have a law making it obligatory on those who would have dogs to keep them under guard and not allow them to stray and making all stray dogs to be liable to be destroyed after a certain date.”
Check this for more:

Gandhiji’s writings on the stray dog issue, in his paper Young India.
I really want to go back in time and know his views, if I replace 'dogs' with 'cattle/esp cows???' , if we extend this further to 'homeless/under priviliged/poor'? How far can these demented views go?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th April 2008 at 13:01. Reason: Calling MG sick is a bit too far, will lead to flamewars
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 12:55   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
A question: If I dont change lanes/brake when riding a bike and seeing a dog, but choose to run over him/her, what will happen to me? Will I be able to 'ride over' the dog? Is it safer to do this, than try to brake and fall? I am asking this, since most of the previous posts have described how the biker fell and got injured when trying to 'avoid the dog'
I don't think it is a good idea to ride over the animal. It is a sure shot formula for falling. The dog's body is soft and hairy, the bike's tyre will not get traction on it and moreover the dog will be running. So your wheel will most probably get jammed and slip. If the dog is lying stationary, then you may be able to do it!

My friend's Chetak scooter did a full 360 degree somersault when he tried to run over a Dog. He got a fracture!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 14:44   #82
BHPian

I don't think I can read this thread any more as it leaves me feeling cold.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 14:57   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
I don't think I can read this thread any more as it leaves me feeling cold.
Netchef, this is a nicely dissective thread(no pun intended). Unfortunate ground realities and it is a you or them scenario, in which case there is only one winner.
Had hit a cat of all animals @ 130 once and the cries did echo on the mind for a day, but there is no way out.

Taking your foot of the gas, brake lightly and hope for the best is what i think would work.
sanjayatarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:54   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
Yup Diabloo, many a times i have seen dogs un hurt even though the tyres of the car runs over it ACCIDENTALLY. The dogs run barking (in pain obviously) after the car runs over it.
I am certainly against these stray dogs, its very difficult to walk alone late in the night (say around 11ish) and drive a bike at those times, these creatures suddenly come barking at us causing panic in us and many a times we can see news that childrens getting affected by these stray dogs. In worst cases, the childrens die.

This doesnt mean that i am justifying those drivers who kill the stray dogs intentionally, I am still against that.
Come on Balaj, not for nothing we are called Civilized. Dogs cant think for themselves, while we can, for us and for others around us.
If population is a problem then why isnt the government and civic agency doing anything to control it? Sterlise?
Its easy to say they are a menace so lets kill them all but it takes the heart of gold to actually think and do something which is best for us and them both.

Barking is the basic instinct of a dog everytime they see someone whom they feel is threatening... they know nothing else but they dont deserve to be killed for this.
Next time instead of just shooing them away, give them a piece of biscuit.... and see how much love they have to give to you, everytime you pass them.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:06   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
.....Next time instead of just shooing them away, give them a piece of biscuit.... and see how much love they have to give to you, everytime you pass them.....
Well, while i agree with you in most of your comments, probably you might not be aware of those fatal incidents happened down south in Tamilnadu. I have atleast read 5 to 6 news where childrens are injured to the extent of putting 30 to 40 stitches as these stray dogs strike them and bite like hell. Infact these are mad dogs which are infected and when it bites human, if not properly treated will be fatal. After reading these incidents only i have started hating stray dogs. But the irony is, the stray dogs near my house never barks at me at any point in the night, simply looks at me and continues its sleep, seems they know who are the localites and who are outsiders. Anyways, this is completely and i respect your comments. Thanks for your understanding as well.
balajird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:18   #86
Senior - BHPian

Some stray dogs are quite a menace. They chase you no apparant reason. The faster you go the more determined they get. I had a Pom chase me everytime I took a route. Once, my gears got stuck which slowed down the bike, which made a huge revving sound, and he backed off. After that whenever I see him in a mood to chase, I just stop and go very very slowly past him.
I can't carry a Bourbon pack every time I go by that route.
I haven't seen him lately.
So if some cabbie hurts this doggie, I'd prefer that, instead of some lady getting scared and leaving the handle bar and crashing into someone, or someone getting bit, or some child getting hurt. There are subtle doggies and there are dangerous ones.
Remember, no one is provoking a subtle or a fierce canine here.
Disclaimer: I simply love dogs. I feed some regularly and treat them very nicely.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 23rd July 2009 at 16:19.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:23   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
So if some cabbie hurts this doggie, I'd prefer that, instead of some lady getting scared and leaving the handle bar and crashing into someone, or someone getting bit, or some child getting hurt. There are subtle doggies and there are dangerous ones.
If some lady gets scared and crashes its entirely due to her own stupidity. Have you heard of any dog asking you to get scared and crash just because he is making a li'l noise and having a bit of fun?
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:34   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Have you heard of any dog asking you to get scared and crash just because he is making a li'l noise and having a bit of fun?
Oh its just not the noise alone, its the chase thats scary and the sharp dental set at display too.
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:37   #89
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Well, they can display anything, but its upto you to get scared! In my entire life I have never been bothered by a single stray dog any which way. In the very rare ocasion they start chasing, I simply stop and have a word with them. If I don't have the time, i act as if they don't exist.

I simply cannot fathom how people have accidents over such trivial matters. And to top it all, they blame the poor dog! Human stupidity, I tell u.... sigh!
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:40   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Remember, no one is provoking a subtle or a fierce canine here.
Sigh! Thats has gone to dogs here