Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 23rd July 2009, 22:47   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Some human beings are also a menace? Shall we kill themselves as well and remember they can think for themselves unlike dogs.
If a human being barks randomly at two wheelers and causes potentially fatal accidents, he/she would not be left alone for sure.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 23:31   #107
BHPian

I love dogs. Much better and loyal they are than most humans. However when they are devoid of human contact and form a group, they assume a pack mentality(remember they are descedants of wolves). This is when they get aggressive and vicious. In Goa at the moment we have about 8 lakh strays with their number growing every year! By the time the authorities and people wake up to the problem, the only solution would be gruesome measures!
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 23:36   #108
Senior - BHPian

I am not in favor of killing the street dogs, but something has to be done. At 6 am morning tuition, around 25 dogs surround me and I am on Spirit. Full throttle = flat spot. Panic strikes and mistake is possible. This was a few years ago.
Today the situation is much bad. Recently my friend was returning from my home at 2 am after project work. Called me up at 3 and screamed at me " You should have informed me about dogs ".

Killing food source makes them jump into homes and mess up with dustbins or whatever they get. The dogs get more aggressive in my area. Dad's colleague had a broken hand and 1 week hospital bill because he was brave enough not to slow down and dogs jumped on him.

Switching off lights while driving helps, but only where you dont have streetlights and know the road. Revving a bike with no great sound is meaning less. Throaty or punchy exhaust note helps.

As long as the dogs are barking at you and running behind, its OK. But never believe in " Bhokte dogs kat te nahi " for these street dogs. Prefer main roads and not narrow streets with turns. Dogs have amazing agility. The road with less turns and good width are good for running away. Dont ever, I mean ever think of teaching them a lesson.

Sometimes I feel the dogs should be taken in a group of 50 or 70 and sent to forest. That will be much better solution for both dogs and us.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 23rd July 2009 at 23:37.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 00:27   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Some human beings are also a menace? Shall we kill themselves as well and remember they can think for themselves unlike dogs.

So is it a dog's fault? Does he even have a choice? The only reedeming feature of being a human is that we can think abt ourselves and others around us.... else as a race we are even worse than animals... we just happen to be more intelligent.
Truer words were never uttered...

But intelligent? I doubt... crafty might be a better word... lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Human Stupidity? Read this and many more to come!

Human Stupidity?

Human Stupidity?

Human Stupidity?

Of course if someone wants to argue just for the heck of it, they have full rights. Go ahead.
Human stupidity it is. Sorry... just putting it as bluntly as I find it to be... and not being diplomatic. And I'm not arguing for the heck of it. And to prove that, I'm not gonna justify further...
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 07:16   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

Human stupidity it is. Sorry... just putting it as bluntly as I find it to be... and not being diplomatic. And I'm not arguing for the heck of it. And to prove that, I'm not gonna justify further...
Lolz bro! help me understand this.
If a person is riding a bike or is in a car and is attacked or chased by a pack of adventurous dogs, then how does that amount to 'Human Stupidity'?
Ohh If you are suggesting that the human should take a 'U' and chase them back, and since they are not doing that, hence they are plain blunt stupid then
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 07:53   #111
BHPian

Its a major menace and all the more so due to so called 'animal lovers'. Someone mentioned cutting off the food source , but what do you do when there are people in the colony who persist in feeding dogs and will not listen to reason? Its impossible to use the bike anymore and while I do call myself a dog lover, these stray packs are anything but dogs. They snarl, snap , bite and are extremely vicious. Perhaps its because they were and are mistreated by humans who constantly hurt them ; but thats not my concern as of now. This menace must be stopped and it requires a dual approach of sterilising and putting down at the same time. No country can claim that mere sterilisation works.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 08:23   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
And I'm not arguing for the heck of it. And to prove that, I'm not gonna justify further...
You cannot prove/argue on it further. With a plethora of posts hinting towards the menace the stray pack create, its gonna be difficult for you to justify anyway.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 24th July 2009 at 08:24.
Old 24th July 2009, 08:35   #113
BHPian

A pack of street dogs are a menace to the society. They attack children and adults without hesitation. If such such groups can be identified by locals, either throw these dogs out in the forest or kill them.
A gang of humans that attack motorcycles or pedestrians will also be jailed; if they kill someone, punishment is always there. So let there not be too much sympathy when it comes to such things.
Dogs and cows should not live on roads and streets.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 10:27   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
A pack of street dogs are a menace to the society. They attack children and adults without hesitation. If such such groups can be identified by locals, either throw these dogs out in the forest or kill them.
A gang of humans that attack motorcycles or pedestrians will also be jailed; if they kill someone, punishment is always there. So let there not be too much sympathy when it comes to such things.
Dogs and cows should not live on roads and streets.
Brilliantly put! Sense has prevailed! And plain stupidity has been thrown out!
Old 24th July 2009, 10:47   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Is it?? i see their population increasing day by day:(
Yes @Lohithrao, their tribe is increasing. But at times the law does the sweeping the dirt kinda job and sometimes we have to tackle them ourselves.
There was an incident reported on this forum where
a member was travelling in a Safari with his family.
Two bikes (4 people) got too close to comfort with the intent of highway dacoity.
The person at the wheel side swiped the bike on the left to fall in a ditch
and sped away. After reaching a good distance the male members
of the family got down and armed themselves with a Lathi (as far as I remember). The other biker, who was still chasing, stopped at a distance
after gauging the intention to fight against oppression/Jihad.

This time the pack was 2 legged.
Old 24th July 2009, 10:55   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Stray dogs are a big menace here in Bangalore.I my locality itself I can count a pack of at least 20-30 dogs.
Couldn't agree more to it.

Quote:
These dogs are quite dangerous especially if you are riding a bike late night. They some time pounce on you & will follow the bike. I had couple of scary moments some time back, I nearly lost control of my bike.
I have been chased by dogs on numerous occasions. Slowing down or coming to a dead stop is the only effective way to get rid of them.

Quote:
Forget bikes they even start barking at you & will run along cars, such instances can easily distract a driver and cause an accident.
They some how seems to like call center cabs...the Sumo's and the Qualis

Quote:
Looks like no one is bothered to control stray population, if BBMP cannot remove these dogs out of Bangalore then at least sterile them so that they donít multiple.
A few months back there was a drive by BBMP, after a small boy was bitten and killed by some stray dogs but i don't think there is anythings happening now to control the dog population. However i would blame the people for encouraging stray dogs, every second person that you see in any bakery in b'lore can be seen feeding dogs.

Quote:
For hell sake donít let over cities be taken over by stray dogs.
You just said it right !!
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 11:58   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Don't worry they are all on death rolls.

Is it?? i see their population increasing day by day:(

Actually its the road side vendors who pet these dogs and these dogs are really dangerous!
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 12:09   #118
Team-BHP Support

Guys,
why are all these dogs chasing you?

I once had a scary encounter with dogs.
Was part of the SSTCN (Student's Sea Turtle Conservation network).

Walking the beach stretch from Besant Nagar to Neelankaria in the night.
Relocating olive ridley eggs into a hatchery we had erected.

One night at about 2 AM, three of us with about 300 eggs from three different nests.
The bags are heavy and the dogs from all the fisherman villages we cross are behind us.

Was one of the scariest nights.
Till our pet dogs (also mongrels) came.
Our dogs scared the hell out of those.

The only dogs I really like are mongrels.
Don't really like the more expensive varieties.

We had a bunch of dogs at Elliot's beach.
Love those dogs.
We had named them Bacardi, Lingerie and Mascara.
There was also one Rascalla.

Lingerie was our hero, he saved his son Rascalla from the wheels of a car and broke his own leg. These dogs loved ice cream.

I miss those days.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 15:47   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Was part of the SSTCN (Student's Sea Turtle Conservation network).

Walking the beach stretch from Besant Nagar to Neelankaria in the night.
Relocating olive ridley eggs into a hatchery we had erected.
OT: What a pleasant surprise. I was doing the exact same thing but on the opposite side - West Coast of India.

Protecting Olive Ridley's and their eggs on Mandrem Beach, North Goa.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 15:56   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
OT: What a pleasant surprise. I was doing the exact same thing but on the opposite side - West Coast of India.

Protecting Olive Ridley's and their eggs on Mandrem Beach, North Goa.
Birds of a feather, flock together.

You will find this link very interesting.
Students’ Sea Turtle Conservation Network

My last walk was in 2003 or so.

The SSTCN volunteers had a miraculous escape during the tsunami that devastated the coast.
The 26th December, 2004 was a Sunday.
As is common on a Sunday morning, the volunteers would sleep much longer than usual and leave for home by 9Am.
That fateful day, everyone just woke up early and left much before the tsunami struck.
Still sends goose bumps up my neck thinking about it.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote