Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 25th July 2009, 01:33   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
You cannot prove/argue on it further. With a plethora of posts hinting towards the menace the stray pack create, its gonna be difficult for you to justify anyway.
Plethora of posts?? When? Where? As far as I remember, it was just a couple of terse posts hinting towards some sense. Just because some 'sentiment' is in majority does not mean its right. In fact its usually the converse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Guys, why are all these dogs chasing you? :
I really loved that sentence!! Guys, if you really have all those dogs chasing, snarling and biting you the way you describe, you really must have some serious issues...!
Raccoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 02:42   #122
Team-BHP Support

So you are implying either we are lying about our experiences, or while riding bikes we deliberately did something to make them chase us.
Kindly let us know what do you think.
Do you think we are lying, or do you think we deliberately troubled the dogs so they chased us. Stop beating around the bush with vague statements
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 11:24   #123
Senior - BHPian

seriously its a big problem in bangalore, i have been there 2-3 times and people are scared to go out in the night in some areas. something has to be done about it. i have also heard many horror stories from my friend. sometimes he has to spend all night in friends place if its late because its impossible to go to his house at night.

if people think this is joke and how someone can be so scared of dogs, please do us a favour and try going in those areas in night :P
Rahulkool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 15:25   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So you are implying either we are lying about our experiences, or while riding bikes we deliberately did something to make them chase us.
Do you think we are lying, or do you think we deliberately troubled the dogs so they chased us. Stop beating around the bush with vague statements
Gosh... when did I even imply that anybody here is lying?? I'm sure you'll must be uttering the supreme truth... but I still do NOT understand why all those doggies are after you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
seriously its a big problem in bangalore, i have been there 2-3 times and people are scared to go out in the night in some areas. something has to be done about it. i have also heard many horror stories from my friend. sometimes he has to spend all night in friends place if its late because its impossible to go to his house at night.

if people think this is joke and how someone can be so scared of dogs, please do us a favour and try going in those areas in night :P
Ok, now somebody please hold me while I roll on the floor...!! Sorry, really not trying to be rude or condescending or anything similar... but I really could not control the involuntary spasms of laughter when I read that!

Anyway, it seems you are in Chennai. Sorry, I can't come there, but after going thru this thread, I'm inclined to be ready to go any place in Pune if anyone here claims to have similar experiences of bloodthirsty dogs after them. I'm seriously yet to come across a stray doggie who has bothered me one bit. And belive me, there are many in Pune and I encounter them while walking, running (on the hills... they even come in packs, like some of you described) on bike or in car. Anybody here from Pune can testify.

Last edited by Raccoon : 25th July 2009 at 15:27.
Old 25th July 2009, 15:35   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Gosh... when did I even imply that anybody here is lying?? I'm sure you'll must be uttering the supreme truth... but I still do NOT understand why all those doggies are after you...

Ok, now somebody please hold me while I roll on the floor...!! Sorry, really not trying to be rude or condescending or anything similar... but I really could not control the involuntary spasms of laughter when I read that!

Anyway, it seems you are in Chennai. Sorry, I can't come there, but after going thru this thread, I'm inclined to be ready to go any place in Pune if anyone here claims to have similar experiences of bloodthirsty dogs after them. I'm seriously yet to come across a stray doggie who has bothered me one bit. And belive me, there are many in Pune and I encounter them while walking, running (on the hills... they even come in packs, like some of you described) on bike or in car. Anybody here from Pune can testify.
dogs are very territorial and when there is no human interaction with them,they tend to take humans as a threat and chase u away or worse attack you.
pop up in bangalore ill tell you 50 odd places where you can be a victim of street dogs.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 15:54   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was talking about bangalore only, here in chennai i have never faced any such a issues

yeah even when i first heard about it i thought, how it can be this serious till i saw the terror
Rahulkool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 15:55   #127
Senior - BHPian

^^^ They are supposed to be territorial wrt other dogs. I am talking about street dogs only... pet dogs do guard their pvt. territory from humans, obviously... am not considering that. And I can say this for sure, because strays have sometimes taken an agressive stance I had my doggie (Pom) with me. Loose pet dogs on the other hand have been worse - there have been very few cases where they launched full-fledged attacks on my dog... obviously forcing me to defend him with force.

Alone, I would have traversed thru zillions of dogs territories... and I don't remember a single one of them taking me to be a threat and coming with a remote intention of attacking.
Old 26th July 2009, 09:40   #128
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
here in chennai i have never faced any such a issues
I think its because of the heat that culls most street dogs. The last thing that they'd want to do is start chasing someone when the ambient temp is ~100 deg F.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 21:34   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
@tsk1979, lighting up the TNT and fleeing with ears close to watch the fun behind a tree seems to be the latest fad around here. I'm sure you wouldn't have had this crapp 9000 posts back even. Heck its become difficult to post some true life incidences without being picked upon by weed. Anyways, members are mature/intelligent enough to brand a few of them and conveniently choose to ignore their contributions.

Quote:
Human stupidity it is. Sorry... just putting it as bluntly as I find it to be... and not being diplomatic.
So according to you, us humans attacked by a pack of stray dogs is human stupidity to you.

Quote:
.. but I still do NOT understand why all those doggies are after you...
Quote:
And belive me, there are many in Pune and I encounter them while walking, running (on the hills... they even come in packs, like some of you described) on bike or in car.
Quote:
Alone, I would have traversed thru zillions of dogs territories... and I don't remember a single one of them taking me to be a threat and coming with a remote intention of attacking.
Quote:
Guys, if you really have all those dogs chasing, snarling and biting you the way you describe, you really must have some serious issues...!
And in all these here you say you have not been attacked. Boy, you sure seem to have built a good rapport/connection with em stray mutts. Do us a favour please. Next time you meet any, just ask the reason they attack humans. I'm sure you can decipher the code and let us know so we are enlightened and don't remain 'Human stupids' for as long as we live.

Quote:
And I'm not arguing for the heck of it. And to prove that, I'm not gonna justify further...
Boy, whatever happened to that.
This and the moon landing thread are the ones I've been having the most fun on lately.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 02:28   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
And in all these here you say you have not been attacked. Boy, you sure seem to have built a good rapport/connection with em stray mutts. Do us a favour please. Next time you meet any, just ask the reason they attack humans. I'm sure you can decipher the code and let us know so we are enlightened and don't remain 'Human stupids' for as long as we live.
Yes, I have NEVER been attacked when alone. The only time I'v been attacked is when I'v been with my doggie. Even then, the attack was always directed at my doggie, not at me. Goes without saying that I'd be forced to defend my doggie with whatever means...

And yes, I do have a with "em stray mutts" and with most other animals. But I pledge my inability to tutor you on the same. You gotta learn it from them. I'm sure they will gladly oblige if you ask real nicely. But then thats not gonna happen while you hate them so much...

Now what I wonder more is why you are taking this so personally and seriously. Is it that you find my experience just incredulous? Or is it that you hate those poor stray doggies so much that you are bent on proving them evil? Or some kinda victim complex? Sigh...

Last edited by Raccoon : 27th July 2009 at 02:31.
Old 27th July 2009, 10:49   #131
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I have NEVER been attacked when alone. Is it that you find my experience just incredulous?
Raccoon,

I don't think anyone finds your experience to be incredulous. Like I said in one of my earlier posts that you have been lucky. I have also (touchwood) never been attacked, until last week when a stray darted onto a highway causing minor damages to my car and totalling the i10.

But, just because you have not been attacked, saying that all the others who have been attacked was because of "human stupidity" is not justified.

Think about it, just because it has not happened to you, doesn't mean that it cannot happen to anyone else

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 11:01   #132
Team-BHP Support

Some interesting reading on the body language of Dogs.
Body Language in Dogs: how to read what your dog is saying, from Stacy's Wag'N'Train

Dog Tail Movement Meaning & Problems | seeFIDO
Quote:
The surer the dog is of itself, the more it moves its tail and says more things with it.
Relaxed tail: Relaxation and comfort.
Hanging horizontal but not stiff: A sign of attention. The dog sees something interesting.
Hanging horizontal but stiff: The dog is confronting an intruder or someone or something unknown.
Upright tail: This is a sign of authority of a dog that shows itself dominant.
Upright tail and turned over the back: shows trust and self-control.
Downward and close to the hind legs: If its extremities are rigid and it wags its tail slightly, it shows "I'm not feeling well". If its legs are slightly bent it's a sign on insecurity.
Tail hidden between its legs: Fear or submission.
Raised tail and slow and rhythmic movement: The dog is on guard.
Wagging lightly: Is their normal welcome.
Wagging with broad circles: "I like you". When two dogs are mock fighting this movement confirms it's a game.
Wagging at a slow speed: When it's being trained it means "I'm trying to understand you, I want to know what you're saying but I don't understand yet". Once it finally understands, the dog wags its tail faster.
Short and slow movements: Shows that it's pleased. Sometimes its only wags its tail a few times when it's on the floor.
Wagging fast: Excitement to a desired activity or object.
Dog communication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and with my statement on why dogs chasing you.. was not meant to offend anyone.
Why dogs chase you is between you and the dog, its not of my business.

btw:
I have been chased as well, but then again it was not just the dog that was chasing me.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 11:30   #133
Senior - BHPian

I am a dog lover. There always was a dog in our home right from my childhood and we discontinued only after moving to an apartment. But I firmly believe strays are a menace. Incidents of children being attacked and mauled by them is not uncommon. If one sees the photos of these hapless little ones, it will change their hearts. I am all for exterminating the strays and don't believe in just sterilizing them and leaving them back on the streets. When it comes to the "man or dog" situation, it will always be the man for me and the dog be damned! As for the voluble section for whom it is fashionable to support the strays, well my suggestion would be to round up 40 or 50 strays, release them inside their premises and walk off after closing the gate! This is certain to cure them of their affliction!

Last year there was a front page photo in a news paper. It showed a 11 year old boy affected by rabies. The scene was the Madurai GH isolation ward. He had apparently been bitten by a stray a while back and being poor people they did not take it very seriously. He was brought to the hospital when he suddenly became very sick, where the Doctors diagnosed full blown rabies. They gave him less than 48 hours to live and put him in an iron cage to spend his last hours. The picture showed the boy sitting stonily inside the cage, and his inconsolable mother reaching out to wistfully touch and pat him (against Doctor's advise) through the bars of the cage.

My God, that picture tore my heart out. It is still etched in my mind and I remember it every time I see a stray on the road.

Last edited by Gansan : 27th July 2009 at 11:34.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 11:42   #134
Senior - BHPian

Gansan, to add to the list people returing to there homes lat at nights, it can get scary..

Whenever i get late i really have to plan my route, else i know am in for trouble
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 11:48   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Gansan, to add to the list people returing to there homes lat at nights, it can get scary..

Whenever i get late i really have to plan my route, else i know am in for trouble
Just buy a few buns, lace each one with five Dulco-lax tablets and carry them with you when you have to return late at night. Just feed the buns to the strays menacing you, and you will be doing a service to mankind!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote