Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 30th April 2008, 10:35   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
or maybe i should buy a auto rickshaw... never seen one them get towed away hehe ehehehehehe

Mumbai Police-Helpline

Auto Rickshaws do get towed.

I have tooo much free time.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 16:43   #47
BHPian

Keep a wrapped up realistic looking doll in the back seat to make it look as if a baby is sleeping peacefully
bikefreak is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 02:02   #48
BHPian

Default Park in a mall

Put an MP(Must Park) sticker that resembles the usual MP sticker on cars. If your car is neat and clean and parked in the most arrogant manner possible - no one would touch it.

But I think the best thing is to plan the parking before you set out for a place. Find out about the nearest mall or supermarket with an underground parking and pay them for the time your car spends there. I do this always.
Danindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 11:04   #49
Senior - BHPian

Once I needed to park for a few mins but unfortunately there were a lot of cops around. Fortunately I spotted a shiny and expensive looking Land Rover also parked illegally nearby So just pulled up behind him and wasnt bothered either
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 19:05   #50
BHPian

Carry a thinner and wipe off the "NO" in no parking board, problem solved . ..
sumanth_mk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 14:18   #51
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's easy to stop it being towed* away... just fit a couple of wheel clamps like the ones the police use to collect parking 'fines' from you --- front and back.
Thad - good one.

I tried this once - in 2000. In Chennai, on TTK Road (near Univercell), the cops use wheel clamps on vehicles parked in the No Parking zone (which pretty much stretches along the length of this road).

I'd parked my Uno by the side of the road to go meet a friend who lived nearby. As it often happens with enchanting company, the hours flew by. I got back to my car a full 6 hours after I'd left it, to find the wheel clamp on and a note on the windshield with a number to call to get the clamp removed. It was 8.30 PM by then, and my calls to the number went unanswered. Frustrated, I jacked the car up and removed the wheel (with the clamp still attached) and put the spare on. I then drove home for a peaceful evening

Next morning, I broke the Godrej lock on the wheel clamp and bought a similar lock to use with the clamp. For a good 1 year after that, I used my very own wheel clamp (thank you, CCTP!) as an anti-theft device and a VIP pass for No-Parking areas

A note of caution - when I moved abroad, I left the clamp with my brother, who used it every day for a week so that he could park his car right outside his office. Needless to say, the cops got suspicious and challaned him for a bunch of things, apart from seizing the car for a couple of days.
Ice is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:06   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Is it possible to prevent such towing which is always not justified .
A bit OT, did you mean "always not justified' or "not always justified"
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:01   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
What rubbish !! I'm sure everyone here opened this thread hopign there's a genuine solution :-) !!
+ 1. I am sure everyone opened this thread to get a real solution, but finally their humor sense got tickled and contributed another humorous one-liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Thad - good one.

I tried this once - in 2000. In Chennai, on TTK Road (near Univercell), the cops use wheel clamps on vehicles parked in the No Parking zone (which pretty much stretches along the length of this road).

I'd parked my Uno by the side of the road to go meet a friend who lived nearby. As it often happens with enchanting company, the hours flew by. I got back to my car a full 6 hours after I'd left it, to find the wheel clamp on and a note on the windshield with a number to call to get the clamp removed. It was 8.30 PM by then, and my calls to the number went unanswered. Frustrated, I jacked the car up and removed the wheel (with the clamp still attached) and put the spare on. I then drove home for a peaceful evening

Next morning, I broke the Godrej lock on the wheel clamp and bought a similar lock to use with the clamp. For a good 1 year after that, I used my very own wheel clamp (thank you, CCTP!) as an anti-theft device and a VIP pass for No-Parking areas

A note of caution - when I moved abroad, I left the clamp with my brother, who used it every day for a week so that he could park his car right outside his office. Needless to say, the cops got suspicious and challaned him for a bunch of things, apart from seizing the car for a couple of days.
Awesome story; One of the most hilarious example of re-using the locks . Great stuff!!

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd October 2010 at 02:51. Reason: Posts merged.
buntydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 13:55   #54
BHPian

There was a HDFC Bank advt showing a Fabia car.
Wonder how will they tow the Fabia.
you have to screw the tie rod to tow the car.
Fabiaous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:29   #55
NFS
BHPian

Default Hilarious!

I really expected a solution here, but found the thread really Hilarious. No offense to the thread owner (I would rate it 5* anyway).

Some of them I liked here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Put the blinkers on and leave the bonnet open.
No engine empty bonnet, light weight more kmpl. ha ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
drive it yourself to the police station.
No need for towing, may be the most obliging offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanth_mk View Post
Carry a thinner and wipe off the "NO" in no parking board, problem solved . ..
cool solution

Liked the wheel lock story too.

NFS
NFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:56   #56
BHPian

Do tow trucks get towed?

Change your ride , get a tow truck and help people in distress or otherwise. It would give car-pulling (read pooling) an entirely new meaning.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:20   #57
BHPian

What a funny thread with hilarious answers. Made a very good read and time pass.

@Ice, that was wonderful buddy. I can't imagine the reaction of the policeman when he might have realised the locks are gone :P

If each one have their own no-parking locks, this no-parking locking towing will go away.
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:49   #58
BHPian

How about carrying a fake pole marked Parking similar to the ones seen of our roads at legitiate parking area?

So next time you park you car, remove the rubber / plastic pole from your car and place it 3 yards from your car in the same direction.
BheemBoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:46   #59
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
A bit OT, did you mean "always not justified' or "not always justified"
I meant that it's not always justified to tow away a car.I once parked my car at a taxi stand meant for 5 cars.There were 5 Indicab cars parked at the stand and i thought since the capacity of the stand was reached i could park my car a little behind the 5th cab.But as soon as i parked and was leaving i saw the tow coming to take my car away.They even opened by door with a ruler.I immediately ran to the car and stopped them from towing my maruti.I didn't think it was fair for those guys to tow my car since the no of cabs to be parked was reached.

Also who gives these guys the right to pick my lock and open my door.IMHO they should only tow a vehicle if it's blocking the way or something and not just because it's been parked in the no parking zone.A wheel clamp should be the more justifiable fine rather than towing.Opening a locked car amounts to burglary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
I really expected a solution here, but found the thread really Hilarious. No offense to the thread owner (I would rate it 5* anyway).
None taken
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 13:46   #60
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: How to prevent your car from getting towed away

Sorry for bumping a old thread. Came here from the hot-threads listing on the first page of the site.

Like most, came here looking for a genuine discussion and a few real solutions. Was pleasantly surprised to see the hilarious responses (especially from a bunch of Mods themselves).

Ice's story about he 'borrowing' the wheel-clamp from the police is fantastic. A word of caution though. After a few such instances, the police have become smarter in terms of design of the clamps. I have seen clamps in Mumbai which would make removing the wheel impossible. Even the locks are integrated with the clamp now. Have read a story in the newspaper, where somebody in New Mumbai managed to somehow disengage the clamp from his car and took it away. Apparently (unlike Ice's story) the police had kept a record of which vehicles were clamped and they traced the car owner over the period of the next month or something and went ahead and booked him under 'theft of govt property' as well!

In short, be careful while pulling such stunts now. The police have become much smarter now.

Last edited by SDP : 12th April 2012 at 13:51.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote