Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 27th November 2012, 11:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai Police fining everyone possible to meet monthly Quotas?

^^ You should have stood your ground, they cannot fine you for cutting across lanes, you might be changing lanes, which is fine and legal.

I have personally never faced this in Bangalore (even on month end) but i believe my wife did face something similar, and she stood her ground. Finally the cops has to relent and let her go.

I agree this might be because a woman was on the wheels, but i think for cases like these, one should stand their ground if time and other commitments permit.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 11:53   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Oh I felt the same, had PUC, License, no jumping lights, no tints, seat belts etc. RTO say you were cutting lanes how on earth do I prove I was not?
Agree here. Cutting lanes is quite subjective maybe on the same lines as "I crossed over when the signal was orange".. "No, you crossed over when it was Red". The argument could go on endlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
^^ You should have stood your ground, they cannot fine you for cutting across lanes, you might be changing lanes, which is fine and legal.
Even I think you should stick to your ground, that cutting lanes is not illegal, and you took all precautions like indicating and the coast was clear. If they still impose a fine, I think we can still send a copy to the ACP-Traffic police with date and time of incident and why we think it was not correct.

Being fined for other offences like taking a left turn where a free left is not there, stopping over zebra lines are all valid. No arguments there.

I've not faced unreasonable fining in Bangalore at least so far. I heard there is a rule that you cannot be pulled over for routine checking unless you have committed an offence. And fine for offences cannot be compounded.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 12:54   #33
BHPian

Post Re: Mumbai Police fining everyone possible to meet monthly Quotas?

Yes, usually such initiatives are motivated largely by monthly targets - where the RTO has a figure each month they have to hit by way of fines/penalties/offenses. Which is why they usually up the ante toward the end of the month. It is also a tacit message to the superiors that the frontline force is "doing its job".

In order to enable prompt collection, superior officers are posted on duty at such junctions. These guys are authorized to collect fines on-the-spot and issue a receipt for the same. Obviously they will not entertain any attempts to be greased at such a time.

One time, I was pulled over at a junction on the WEH for breaching the zebra crossing line. Incidentally the front wheels of my car were just about touching the crossing and there was not one pedestrian wishing to cross the highway. I was as amused as I was shocked because this was new. I, of course, stood my ground and didn't budge. Finally I was allowed to go with a "warning". However just while leaving I sarcastically remarked that next you will stop motorists for driving on lane markers. At which point, the cop quickly went so far as to tell me that the brief or "order" from "upar-se" was to just stop as many motorists as possible and then "chipkao" (dole out) the offense. Odds are you'll find something or the other! Just prey on unsuspecting folks.

My reasoning is that is quite possible that in the first half of the month, these guys are busy making money for themselves and targets take a backseat. It is only when someone somewhere wakes up from slumber, realizes the department is lagging behind and enforces "prompt action". Naturally then, such drives gather momentum.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 13:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

Angry Re: Mumbai Police fining everyone possible to meet monthly Quotas?

IMO this month end collection drive has been there for quite some time now. Have been a victim to such drives but in most cases I have managed to be on the right side of the law, hence it was a routine check and allow kind of ritual. More so this monthly drive was aimed at the truck/trailer/private buses/tempos etc but now it is openly being used to harass the private vehicle owners.

Once when I forgot to put on the helmet while riding Activa and was taken to a side, inpite of my requests of helmet being available in the scooter I was blatantly told that this was a specific collection drive orderd by the traffic commissioner himself who in turn had been ordered by the local MP for the birthday celebrations collections of the party chief.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 16:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Once when I forgot to put on the helmet while riding Activa and was taken to a side, inpite of my requests of helmet being available in the scooter I was blatantly told that this was a specific collection drive orderd by the traffic commissioner himself who in turn had been ordered by the local MP for the birthday celebrations collections of the party chief.
You had a helmet with you, while riding a 2-wheeler, and you were not wearing it? Cop was fully justified in fining you. Its what we call "fair cop". He did not need any excuse of collection drive for birthday party etc etc. You really should not be complaining. The helmet ought to have been on your head, strapped on.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 16:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Mumbai Police fining everyone possible to meet monthly Quotas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
You had a helmet with you, while riding a 2-wheeler, and you were not wearing it? Cop was fully justified in fining you. Its what we call "fair cop". He did not need any excuse of collection drive for birthday party etc etc. You really should not be complaining. The helmet ought to have been on your head, strapped on.
No, I am not complaining that I was fined, accept my mistake. But the reference was to the special drive for a particular goal which was not in the benefit of people at all. Had I seen the traffic cops at the same place atleast thrice a week or more then I would have been happy but once in a while out of blue moon doing a purpose which is anti people is what irks me.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 16:54   #37
BHPian

Default Re: Unfair Traffic Cops

On the Ghodbunder road, near Bhayandarpada, there are barricades almost everyday and I see most of the two wheelers being stopped there. I once had been with my friend on his bike when we were stopped. It was the 23rd of this month and I did see many other bikers and couple of trucks being checked. However, we were left after they checked the papers.

My friend wanted to learn to drive. He did have a learners license and was about to appear for the test. He requested me to let him practice a bit on my car and I agreed. It was something around 20:30 hours We went to a nearby empty ground where I handed him the wheel. Just as he was about to leave the clutch, two policemen on a bike arrived. Obviously they were not wearing helmets.

They told us to get out of the car and asked my friend to show his license. We both showed our licenses(I had a valid DL). Then they asked me for the papers. Showed them everything. All clear and up-to-date. Then they asked me to open the boot. They checked the car all around, the boot, glovebox, under the seats and all.

The conversation now started as follows:
He: What are you doing here at this time? Where are you from.

I told him that my friend wanted to practice and told him my whereabouts. I did tell him that we were going to have dinner and landed up here for some practice.

He: Oh... dinner... You guys have dinner, have drinks, no one thinks about us. You should give a thought.

Me and my friend realized that they wanted some money and were not able to find any fault in our car. I stayed shut while my friend negotiated in marathi. I am not so fluent in marathi.

They said something and went away muttering something in marathi. This was the first experience of its kind for me and was shocked with the behavior of the police. Aren't they to protect us?
carzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 16:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, I am not complaining that I was fined, accept my mistake. But the reference was to the special drive for a particular goal which was not in the benefit of people at all. Had I seen the traffic cops at the same place atleast thrice a week or more then I would have been happy but once in a while out of blue moon doing a purpose which is anti people is what irks me.
In my opinion, it is good. If a bunch of cops always appear at a place on a certain days, people will wear helmets/seatbelts only on those days. When the checks are random, and if someone ends paying up once or twice, people will wear seatbelts/helmets every time they drive through the place where they were caught earlier.

So cops have made some money, and also have made sure that the same people won't be caught again. Two birds in one shot.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 17:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yeah unfortunately everyone has to follow orders from a hierarchy these days. even the goons who pick up our two wheelers from designated parking slots and the other goons who shut shops at the behest of the local thug in a white car have to listen to orders from their team lead.

try to think of it as an organisational structure with less to no accountability. if that has to change, we have to change or challenge it. Else it is just good old cribbing that a lion tried to eat me even though I am a vegetarian.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 12:06   #40
BHPian

When I started this thread, It was regarding special drive to raise official funds by the RTO. No unfair practice by individual cops at their own fancy. These are orders from the top and followed by cops all over the city at the same time.

Agreed there are certain pros to these drives regarding safety but they misuse the law collectively where top most officers are involved. Whom should we complain to?

When I objected to paying the fine, the officer said submit the license and argue with the magistrate which I know has no out come.

We are too busy to change the system except discussing on the web.

All said and done such discussions lead to big changes in the long run, nothing happens over night.
tazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 14:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
When I started this thread, It was regarding special drive to raise official funds by the RTO. No unfair practice by individual cops at their own fancy. These are orders from the top and followed by cops all over the city at the same time.
Is that not what all traffic rules are being used for by the RTO? Take the example of a PUC certificate. that is totally pointless till the certifying agencies are genuine in whatever ascertaining they do. but it is still used as one of the tools to take money from us.
And yes, just before festival time do expect to see more cops around. A majority of them are to fine us, not to ensure traffic discipline.

This is much before I start ranting about the massive corruption at the RTO itself. and I am not even talking about the agent nexus here.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 14:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

While coming back from Vrindavan, all cars be cautious before the toll plaza a team of cops are fining cars for everything. I mean every car is stopped irrespective of what speed you were doing or if they spotted anything. I was driving sedately as my mother was in the backseat and we were just enjoying the drive back home. Near toll plaza on NH2 (near Hodal, I think it is). The cops would stop you, have no answer for why they did so. The officer would want to see all your paperwork and post that they would say you were speeding ( no signage in complete stretch from Palwal to Mathura ). No proof of if you were or weren't. Then the office will move away to another car and the cop lower down the order will come and ask if you want or don't want the slip (implying the cash transaction). My mother came out of the car and asked for the senior most office on duty. The cop had no case against me and simply said "Madame aap jaao". What???
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 13:16   #43
BHPian

Thumbs down Greedy Traffic cops

Its really becoming difficult and frustrating to drive in a city like Mumbai.I had following 3 experiences wherein i dont think i was at fault yet had to pay. Would like others to comment:-

1)Teen Haat Naka Signal :-
This signal is one of the toughest to cross especially if you are going across.When i started off the signal was green,for some reason the tempo in front of me slowed down when i reach midway and the signal turns red.The cop asks me to pay a fine saying that i jumped the signal.I said there were almost 5 more cars and bikes who crossed alongwith me .He says he cant catch everyone!

2)Vikhroli Signal:-
Its a signal on Eastern express highway with no timers.Cars and buses move at speeds of 70 to 90 Km/hr. I crossed the signal when it was yellow, i agree i should have stopped but the innova behind me was at a high speed and if i had slowed down it would have banged me for sure.The cop stopped me and allowed the innova to pass.yet again i was asked to pay a fine of 100 Rs. Here i got a receipt as well.I discussed this with my friends who say fine for jumping a signal is actually 500 Rs and the receipt i got is fake

3)Kemps corner :-

At the signal i was in the middle lane.I was not sure about the route so i was in the middle lane as i either had to take a right or go straight.My friend confirmed that i had to go straight from a rickshaw.The signal turned green and the car to my left wanted to go right and my car was blocking it. The cop stopped me and asked me to pay a fine as i should have been in the left most lane.I said i didnt know the route and so i was in the middle lane.Also the car who wanted to take a right should not have been at extreme left.He had no reply to this.I didnt argue much and paid 100 Rs,got a receipt for it

I really wonder how do we stop this?These traffic cops are simply looting common public! If i cross a signal when its green but the cop claims it was yellow how do i prove that i am right? probably we need front cameras now instead of rear view camera!

Last edited by coolabhi : 19th January 2013 at 13:18.
coolabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 13:51   #44
BHPian

Default Re: Greedy Traffic cops

You have just been unfortunate and unlucky like all of us at other times. I think there is little you can do but to argue and get out of it or save energy and pay up. If you have proof of innocence like no call detail at the time of Chalan for talking on mobile then you can challenge it to the Top Cop and seek a refund. It comes back sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolabhi View Post
1)Teen Haat Naka Signal :-
This signal is one of the toughest to cross especially if you are going across.When i started off the signal was green,for some reason the tempo in front of me slowed down when i reach midway and the signal turns red.The cop asks me to pay a fine saying that i jumped the signal.I said there were almost 5 more cars and bikes who crossed alongwith me .He says he cant catch everyone!
There is a rule less known that the intersection is like a "yellow box". If you don't think you can clear the intersection before the light turns red, then don't enter it only. But in India no one follows and if you were to do it, you would either look like a fool halted at a green light or have you butt banged by a rowdy driver behind.

Quote:
2)Vikhroli Signal:-
Its a signal on Eastern express highway with no timers.Cars and buses move at speeds of 70 to 90 Km/hr. I crossed the signal when it was yellow, i agree i should have stopped but the innova behind me was at a high speed and if i had slowed down it would have banged me for sure.The cop stopped me and allowed the innova to pass.yet again i was asked to pay a fine of 100 Rs. Here i got a receipt as well.I discussed this with my friends who say fine for jumping a signal is actually 500 Rs and the receipt i got is fake
At intersections, you ought to be slow so that even if you decided to stop, you do not take the driver behind you by surprise because no matter how fast he is approaching, if he is behind you and you are slow, he cannot be fast enough. But again, I agree its tough to drive in India as if it is Europe! Even if you want to, you cant.

Quote:
3)Kemps corner :-

At the signal i was in the middle lane.I was not sure about the route so i was in the middle lane as i either had to take a right or go straight.My friend confirmed that i had to go straight from a rickshaw.The signal turned green and the car to my left wanted to go right and my car was blocking it. The cop stopped me and asked me to pay a fine as i should have been in the left most lane.I said i didnt know the route and so i was in the middle lane.Also the car who wanted to take a right should not have been at extreme left.He had no reply to this.I didnt argue much and paid 100 Rs,got a receipt for it
Plain unlucky I would say.

Quote:
I really wonder how do we stop this?These traffic cops are simply looting common public! If i cross a signal when its green but the cop claims it was yellow how do i prove that i am right? probably we need front cameras now instead of rear view camera!
You are bang on! I have been thinking this idea for a long time. Not so much for the Chalan nuisance but from pedestrians and driver erring/causing accidents and refusing to admit. Just like restaurants and banks have CCTVs and can provide on-the-spot evidence, I wish our cars came with a neat camera tucked behind Inside RVM, looking ahead with a decent capacity hard drive onboard to record.
anujatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 14:11   #45
BHPian

Default Another instance of extortion by cops

Today morning while I was driving to office, I got a call. It was somewhat an important call that I had to attend to, so I slowly pulled over the car, stopped and attended to the call.
Suddenly I saw a cop coming hurriedly towards me and signalling me to disconnect the call. I obliged. He then pressed me with charges that I was talking on the phone while driving and that he had seen it with his own eyes. I argued to that, and made my point clear that whatever charges he was pressing on me was baseless and that I had taken the call only after stopping the vehicle (It wasn't a no parking zone either).
To this he got infuriated and with a rude look said that "How dare you argue with a policeman!". I knew that I wasn't at fault by any means, so I charged back saying that it's my right to voice my opinion to whatever's incorrect.
His eyes started reddening with blood and I could feel his "ego" exuding from every wrinkle of his face. At the same time I too had become very much pissed off by the state of our cops. He shouted, "get down from the car. I will teach you a lesson today and will fine you".
To that I replied, "I will pay you the fine, but you have to give me a legal receipt for the same, and prove whatever you have accused of me by referring to the video footage shot by the traffic signal camera, and the call logs of my phone".
His tone changed and he said to me, "Get Lost!"

My question to all Bhpians is how can we teach these egoistic cops a lesson to remember? (At the same time I humbly acknowledge that not all cops are like this, as I have encountered some very helpful cops too in the past)

Last edited by RevvMusic : 5th February 2013 at 14:14.
RevvMusic is offline   Reply With Quote