Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 13th February 2013, 17:25   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Unfair Traffic Cops

As much as I fear them, I get to bump into them more often.

There is a shop near my house where people get their clothes ironed/washed. I had given few of my clothes to get ironed last week but this guy has somehow misplaced/liked 2 of my almost new trousers and not returning them to me.

I have been following up with them everyday before I go to the Gym in the morning and I see a constable sitting there but not reacting on my case. I once tried to take his help to ask the Iron shop guy return my clothes but the cop asked me to speak in 'Kannada' if I wanted his help, so I opted out. I know I will not get my trousers back, but I can atleast pester these guys by following-up with them everyday.

This morning while I was talking to this Iron shop guy, a (new) constable came and interrupted in our conversation.
My Bike is a Pune registered bike
Cop - Where is the NOC for your bike?
Me - Why should I get an NOC?
Cop - You are riding it here in Bangalore, so you need NOC.
Me - I am not re-registering my bike here in Bangalore, so I haven't taken an NOC. I am a temporary resident of Bangalore.
Cop - You have to get the NOC when you get the bike.
Me - Only if I intend to keep the bike here more than 6 months.
Cop - Who told you this 6 months rule?
Me - I am learned enough, and know the rules.
Cop (Disgusted) -Where is your DL?
I knew he will take my DL and harass me, so I said I did not get it.
Cop - Why have you kept your DL at home? You want to do DL's Puja?
Me - Ok, I can get it. Hold on. My house is just the one (I pointed out).
Me - Just wondering why you asking for NOC and DL? Are you a traffic cop?
Cop (Angry) - Dont teach me rules, I can do whatever I want to.

I took out my phone and called the Madivala Police station, explained them the issue and they hang up the phone.

The cop in front of me now gets nervous. He says - Call whoever you want to call, I am not afraid. (His voice is actually showing how angry or nervous he is).

I asked him what is his motive of asking my documents, is he looking out for some tip?
He said it is his routine job to note down the numbers of vehicles passing by.
I asked him to do the same, and done harass me by asking papers. I will present the NOC to the RTO if required. Gave him my mobile number, address etc.

I called the Madivala PS again and this time they asked to hand over the phone to the constable. Took his details and hung up the phone.

I took the phone back. Told the Constable that his duty was to protect us. i.e - Help me get my trousers from the iron shop thieves, not to harass us for small tips.

Cop with red eyes - I dont need your teachings.

I smiled in disgust and left.
Googleman is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 12:27   #62
BHPian

Saw this on twitter, it will fit here as well as in jokes thread.
I'm afraid of 3 things: Women, snakes and police. All of them have the ability to hurt me and make it look like it was my fault.
sa_kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 10:24   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

This happened a few minutes back, while I was coming to my office, riding my bike.

At a cross, when I was almost on the verge of it, the signal turned red from green. I stopped immediately. Just before the lights. I was waiting for the 2 minute timer to get green again, I heard an ugly corrupt cop calling me 'Ae motorcycle'. I turned up the visor of my helmet & asked what's the matter? He said that don't you see the line...I said which line you are talking about? He said pointing to the letters 'STOP' which had turned black and was hardly readable. What was shocking is that there were people who were jumping the signals all this while & that idiot was arguing with me, because I chose to stop? I told him on his face that it would be better if he focused on stopping people who are jumping signals rather than what he is doing now. Suddenly he almost started to charge me for jumping the signal This was ridiculous and I again said on his face that I do not need a policeman to make me obey traffic rules...I do it for myself & for so that sanity prevails. By this time, my blood was boiling as I was made to look like an offender to the people standing there. The signal turned green and let the cop doing his bla bla bla thing and left the scene.

As a person, I am almost a maniac when it comes to respecting the traffic rules. And I simply hate people when I see them disregarding the rules. But for today, I was looked upon as one for no fault.

To tell you guys, in our city, that is Ranchi, most people give a damn to the traffic rules. Not stopping at red signals, jumping signals, riding without helmet and driving without seat belts are common sights. In fact, about 40-50% people will not stop at most red lights, & this %age will be up to 80-90% when the roads are somewhat empty. About 40% people will be riding without helmet & 99% people driving without seat belts!
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 11:14   #64
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me: how can you prove that a traffic cop is wrongly accusing you of an offence that you never committed.
Also, lets say you are not carrying a certain document (or you are carrying a copy), and you promise to turn up at the station/RTO and show the original for verification - can you be fined even then?

Last edited by alpha1 : 16th April 2013 at 11:15.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 18:37   #65

Came across this video of a traffic cop guiding the tow operators to break into a car parked in a no parking zone.

nigel92 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 20:34   #66
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Unfair Traffic Cops

Close on the heels of the above post where the traffic cop eggs the towing guys to break into the car, this news brought much relief. Now you can claim compensation to any damages incurred during the towing of the vehicle. The judicial system has indicated that the traffic cop should give in writing an order to tow the vehicle in case the hand brakes are engaged.

Another shocking revealation. There are 116 towing contractors currently engaged by Mumbai traffic dept and many of them are owned by relatives of the traffic cops (16 nos).

Link as below:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/30971425.cms
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 11:10   #67
BHPian

Mumbai Traffic Cop assaults citizen for pointing a wrongly parked police vehicle

Entire episode is caught on video - http://www.rushlane.com/mumbai-traff...-12130714.html

Disgusting.
mayanksabharwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 12:12   #68
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about other cities, but in Mumbai, the best trick is to not give in their dadagiri. Of course, if you are drink driving or have broken a signal, its completely your fault and you should pay the fine (according the law), but if you are absolutely sure that you have not done anything wrong, u should not give in.

Their standard trick is, "Licence Dikhao" ? and then they take your Licence and get the upper hand and then start making a challan or asking for a bribe even if you have not done anything ( They need to fill their quotas, as told me me by a traffic cop).

Once a cop stopped me at Deonar and asked for my papers and Licence and all. He was asking really nicely but don't know why he was asking in the first place. Then he said 'Actually, mere ko woh tumhara gaadi main joh sticker hai na ( He was talking about the team bhp sticker) woh chahiye tha, iss liye checking ka bahane se rukaya", kaha milega woh sticker ?

He wanted it for his son's bike. He slowly pronounced "LEEEVE TOOOO DRIVE" and asked me what it meant.

I told him it meant 'Jeeta hai, Gaadi chaneke liye"

He loved it and asked me to give him one, but the one I had I already had stuck on my car. Wrote down the website address of team-bhp and asked him to tell his son to order it. He was happy and told me 'Yeh Lo Mera Number, koi police wala paresha karega na, direct phone karna".
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 12:19   #69
BANNED

Last year I got caught by a policeman for breaking a signal on a turn that I did not spot. Since I refuse to bribe, he was going to write me a ticket.

Meanwhile, he also caught a biker for the same offense, who was ready to bribe him. While the bribe was being negotiated, I was recording the deal happening on my mobile.

Unfortunately, the policewalla spotted me & then made life hell for me. He made me come to court multiple times, then 'lost' my license. Its impossible to take on such corrupt a*&holes without proper systems in place.

This is also why I oppose draconian laws & huge fines, it only increases power of the corrupt whom aam aadmi have to deal with.
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 19:47   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal View Post
Mumbai Traffic Cop assaults citizen for pointing a wrongly parked police vehicle

Entire episode is caught on video - http://www.rushlane.com/mumbai-traff...-12130714.html

Disgusting.
The video shown is in my opinion the mistake of the biker (atleast what is shown in the video). The cop asked him for his license numerous times, to which the biker refused again and again, and still the videographer says its "gundagardi" ? Please think of it this way.
yatrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 21:36   #71
BHPian

On Aug 2nd, Saturday, I had gone to City Government College which is beside the High Court of Judicature at Hyderabad for the states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana to drop my Sister-in-law as she works there. While going inside the college campus, I noticed traffic cops doing their 'DUTY'. I parked my car inside, came out and just watched the fun. They were literally looting people publicly. They were collecting money without giving challans to the offenders. I watched all the nonsense for 1 good hour. The driver of the towing van watched me for 10 mins and alerted the S.I and his colleagues.

On being alerted, the S.I sent one of his men to talk to me. This was the following conversation..

Cop: Sir, what are you watching? If you are from press, my S.I is asking you to go near and take a picture of what we are doing.

Me: No, I am not from press. I am just a common man watching all the drama.

Cop: You should not stand here for long. You are obstructing us from discharging our duty.

I had a hearty laugh at this

Me: I will talk to....(Name and position not mentioned) and will find out whether this is the duty that they have asked you to do.

Cop: If you want you can report this to press.

Me: No press. One pic is enough for me.

Cop: Yes sir. One pic will be enough and all of us will be suspended.

That's it. When I used few names with whom I have genuine relationship, the cop was scared. The conversation continued for sometime and in the meanwhile this cop showed some weird signs to the S.I and I noticed all the cops slipping from the place on their bikes one by one. Slowly the S.I also sat in the towing vehicle and left the place immediately.
JoseVijay is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 22:16   #72
BHPian

Yet another unjustified behavior from the cops. This video is now viral in Face book and found the link in youtube too.

Last edited by Samba : 16th September 2014 at 22:21.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 23:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Yet another unjustified behavior from the cops. This video is now viral in Face book and found the link in youtube too.
Assuming you're from Kolkatta and do not understand a most of the Marathi being spoken in the video, the cop keeps asking the biker for his license to which the biker keeps replying "why are you touching me ?".

Even in the middle of the video a couple of elderly folks and asking the biker to just produce his license, not a single instant where the the biker even reaches for his license or has spoken anything about his license, he keeps saying "you have no right to touch me" and "I didn't do anything". Couldn't be simply produce his license ??

In my opinion he wasn't obeying the law !

PS: the above stated is just from what is shown in the video, probability is the issue started first and the video started only after a major fuss was created.
yatrik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 23:45   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatrik View Post
Couldn't be simply produce his license ??

In my opinion he wasn't obeying the law !

PS: the above stated is just from what is shown in the video, probability is the issue started first and the video started only after a major fuss was created.
Why do we always find faults with the victim. To hell with the license. The guy in the video is not even given an opportunity to show his license. How can that cop push him around, slap him on the face ( twice) and later drag him to the other corner. He is not even afraid that there are so many people standing, all essentially in support of the guy being harassed. The guy making the video also clearly warns the cop to behave himself but he is too soaked up in his ego. Really would want to see what action does the Police take now. Is a mere slap on the wrist or a temporary suspension enough or should they slap a case of public assault on the cop?
drmohitg is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 23:52   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why do we always find faults with the victim. To hell with the license. The guy in the video is not even given an opportunity to show his license. How can that cop push him around, slap him on the face ( twice) and later drag him to the other corner. He is not even afraid that there are so many people standing, all essentially in support of the guy being harassed. The guy making the video also clearly warns the cop to behave himself but he is too soaked up in his ego. Really would want to see what action does the Police take now. Is a mere slap on the wrist or a temporary suspension enough or should they slap a case of public assault on the cop?
He was given ample amount of time to produce his license, the guy hasn't even tried reaching for his license.
yatrik is offline   Reply With Quote