Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 17th September 2014, 00:54   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Unfair Traffic Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatrik View Post
He was given ample amount of time to produce his license, the guy hasn't even tried reaching for his license.
So? Fine me and issue me a challan for not carrying my license. Tow away my vehicle. But no one has given them the right to physically even touch the driver even if he or she is without a DL.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 01:17   #77
BHPian

Default Unfair Traffic Cops

I saw this video 2-3 times to actually hear what the guy was saying apart from the usual no touching statement. I feel both the cop and the guy are at mistake.

Where did the guy go wrong?
If you hear clearly, he has mentioned that he had his headlamps on while coming. This is a common practice amongst people riding/driving on the wrong side. So yes the guy did commit an offence.

Secondly, as far as I know policeman have a right to check your license, If they are on duty. From the whole scenario it was clear that 3 of them were on duty and they had all the rights to check that guy's license and the related vehicle documents. The guy was not even attempting to take his license out, Which clearly got the cop furious.

Where did the cop go wrong?
There was no need to touch that fellow. He had no right to slap/ push him. The only reason why the cop is being bashed is because he chose a wrong path of reaction to the whole problem.

On a realistic note, I have seen similar incidents in Pune where the cops are literally harassed by such people with some political contact. And to every person trying to sympathise with the 'subject' of the video, please keep one thing in mind- no person has a right to ride/ drive on the wrong side. It doesn't matter if you have your headlamps/ turn signals on. These are all ' indicators' which show you are coming in the wrong direction and in no way allow you to break the law. I found his statement hilarious about having headlamps on, have across many such cases in Pune too. At the end of the day the cop would be transferred and that guy would go boasting around how he got a cop screwed without touching him. Sad state of affairs.

Asit

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 17th September 2014 at 01:19.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 02:17   #78
BHPian

This is like, a teacher beats up a boy for some mischief and the next day his parents come running to the principal and warning, they're NOT allowed to touch the child! The child should get some bashing, if he doesn't listen/obey.
Anyways, this is my opinion and sure many would differ.

I have had a discussion about the same video on the Facebook too! And what a coincidence!
Today in the evening I was stopped by a traffic cop. First time in my life was I so happy for getting pulled over! Now I could see how situation would get and if I get indulged into a 'loot' for no offence from my side!

Was waiting for a signal at a circle and went ahead as it turned green. Had to turn right, so took the circle and went right where the cops were standing. The cop asked me to pull over and asked for my license. I was happy! He asked me to go meet the 'Saheb' and passed on my license to him. He said you have jumped the signal! I declined. I politely explained him that rather than cutting the circle, I took the roundabout and it was green! That's it! He returned my license! No challan. No bribe. Nothing!

If you co-operate politely with respect, without arguing with the cop and not telling him what he can do and what he can not, situations can be tackled with ease. Period.

Last edited by nishantdlv : 17th September 2014 at 02:23.
nishantdlv is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 02:54   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So? Fine me and issue me a challan for not carrying my license. Tow away my vehicle. But no one has given them the right to physically even touch the driver even if he or she is without a DL.
Exactly.

At office, would an employee be tolerated if he or she laid a hand on another for non-cooperation (not sharing latest ppt, report, study, etc.) or even wilful disobedience of some instruction from a superior? Most likely he or she would face departmental action and have a big blot on their prospects. Some employers would even terminate them (especially where it is a manager-subordinate relationship).

Use of physical force is only permitted in limited circumstances such as to prevent injury to others, self-defence or in furtherence of enforcement of either pre / post trial detention.

I do not doubt that the biker may have been guilty of a traffic offence (IMO that's an entirely different issue). But that's no good reason for a cop to rough him up. This colonial-era hangover of the cops (starting from attitude to uniforms) needs to be urgently rectified. My cousin in Canada tells me how cops there are polite to a fault and are very careful not to intimidate people since they face severe penalties for infringing individual liberties.

Last edited by Kumar R : 17th September 2014 at 02:58.
Kumar R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 03:49   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatrik View Post
He was given ample amount of time to produce his license, the guy hasn't even tried reaching for his license.
A police officer is a public servant foremost , if a member of public does not comply with a reasonable request , then further action can be taken legally , however non of the law enforcement agencies and its officers have the right to physically assault anyone , in this video the tone and actions of the police man were absolutely unacceptable , the member of public was well within his rights not to produce the license , if the police man has an issue with that then as mentioned above he can take further legal action and I'm sure there are many ways to do so , it is plain ridiculous to even think about giving legitimacy to the cop's behaviour in this video regardless of the member of public refusal or non adherence to the law , the sooner we start to stand up for our rights the better our country will be , since time immemorial we have always tried not to displease the powers that be , this has resulted in our country being molested by every sundry politician and bureaucrat , whilst I strongly advocate everyone to adhere to the law of the land both in letter and spirit, I also strongly suggest not to take any crap and more importantly not to take it lying down , I would like to believe that we ( T- BHP ) are a dynamic community and if we look out for each other we could become the agents of change that every society needs from time to time .

Just my strong views and no offence meant to anyone !!
vickzkool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 04:07   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no right and wrong here. It is just wrong and wrong! On one side, you can say fence is eating the crop and on the other, it is literally "ulta chor kotwal ko daante" (translation: thief is scolding the cop)
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 04:21   #82
BHPian

And this happened in Mumbai, even the one who recorded the video has been booked. What a sad state of affairs.

Traffic Cops thrash youth in Mumbai

Source link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/42642655.cms

Quote:
MUMBAI: A traffic police assistant inspector allegedly assaulting a youth for riding on the wrong side of the road in Vasai on Monday was captured on video and uploaded on a social website.

Both Ramsagar Mishra, who witnessed and recorded the video, an on-looker Vijender Singh and the unidentified youth have been booked under sections 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharging of his duty) and 143 (being member of unlawful assembly) of the IPC by the Nalasopara police. .

The cop has been identified as assistant inspector Praveen Sawant. Two traffic police constables Arun Sawant and Deepak Mahadik were present at the spot when the incident occurred.

According to Mishra, the incident took place at around 6.30 pm near fire brigade office at Evershine City in Vasai (east). The youth was confronted by the cops on nakabandi duty, for riding his motorcycle on the wrong side of the road. When asked for his licence, the youth questioned the cops for parking their two-wheelers on the wrong side of the road.
The youth and Sawant got into an argument which got violent. Sawant is seen in the video roughing up the youth in broad daylight, even as a huge crowd watched in horror. Police said that Mishra was caught for travelling triple seat on a two-wheeler and was made to wait, when he shot the video.

Mishra said that the youth on seeing the traffic cops he did not enter the road. The police, however, charged towards him and demanded his licence. Mishra said that the cop caught Singh's collar and was dragging him like a criminal.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 09:54   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Where did the guy go wrong?
If you hear clearly, he has mentioned that he had his headlamps on while coming. This is a common practice amongst people riding/driving on the wrong side. So yes the guy did commit an offence.
While I am all for the severest of deterrence for driving on a wrong side and not producing driving license (huge fines, significant jail term etc.), I just can't get around the fact that the inspector tried to deliver instant justice on road.

It's nowhere mentioned in Motor Vehicle Act that punishment for driving on the wrong side (and without license) is sound thrashing from cops.
Gotham_City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 14:44   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantdlv View Post
This is like, a teacher beats up a boy for some mischief and the next day his parents come running to the principal and warning, they're NOT allowed to touch the child! The child should get some bashing, if he doesn't listen/obey.
We will go offtopic here but the example you gave is also wrong. The teacher has no right whatsoever to beat the child regardless of the act committed.
We as a society are continuously evolving. And what was considered acceptable or a norm by our elders might not hold true in today's world.

Last edited by drmohitg : 17th September 2014 at 14:46.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 19:42   #85
Team-BHP Support

I have absolutely no sympathy for wrong-side drivers, who in my opinion are responsible for many accidents and definitely most of the stress induced while driving on Indian roads. The Times of India report clearly states that he was stopped by the cops for violating the law and it's amply clear that he refused to produce his DL after repeatedly being asked to.

One could argue that the cops should not have got physical but rather booked him on the spot etc. but that is just naivete. Anyone familiar with the way our authorities work knows that intimidation is a big part of the law-enforcement process. We quietly look on when it suits us (e.g. bashing up petty thieves, eve-teasers etc. instead of arresting and charging them), so it is hypocritical to raise a hue and cry when we are the affected party.
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote