Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 1st May 2008, 18:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

That was really a sad incident and am sorry to hear about that. As per what you said, with the security system off the hook, it must have been for sure done using a duplicate key for sure and quite naturally it points to the driver. What if the driver went on vacation to get an alibi? I strongly suspect he has something to do, though i should not directly blame him until its known for sure, i somehow feel that he can have a lot to do as his vacation will give him a good alibi..

Koramangala is a place i frequent and such an incident scares me as i sometimes leave the car parked there in the bylanes @ times. Hope there is a breakthrough soon.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 18:42   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Thanks everyone for kind words.

What bothers me is the apathy of cops. After I filed the FIR, the cops showed no interest in investigation. I managed to get some attention today so hopefully there will be some investigation.

The car is 3.5 years old and it wasn't financed.

Thankfully I have the original RC book with me at home. I have already filed a claim case with Insurance.
Sorry to say but bro forget any Investigation from Cops. You know what a lady constable said when I was at Police station getting the FIR " Better Pray that your car is not found by the police, as firstly theives will take away with most of the parts, then the car will be lying in police station as you have to complete the formalities to get your car released & the other remaining parts will be lost or rusted & the car will be worth peanuts". Better take Insurance & get yourself another set of wheels.

& yes having the Original RC will save you much time after you get your final report from Cops.Mine original RC went with the car & I know, how i got the duplicate RC.
pankaj_sachdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 20:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

My driver came back from his native place. He said that he is sorry to hear about the car and he would be very happy to cooperate with cops or anyone else regarding this. He is available on his cell phone and will come whenever called. He also said that he has impeccable references for last eight years.

Now I think either he is one of the smartest con or he is completely innocent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
" Better Pray that your car is not found by the police, as firstly theives will take away with most of the parts, then the car will be lying in police station as you have to complete the formalities to get your car released & the other remaining parts will be lost or rusted & the car will be worth peanuts". Better take Insurance & get yourself another set of wheels.
won't I get the insurance in that case as well (thieves stealing stuff etc ?)
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 21:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Noone bothers if someone is meddling with somebody else's vehicle. Crowded street or not. I had people sitting inside my Classic and pressing the dash lights inside, without a bother. My RD's rear taillight was being removed on Airport Road infront of the CITIBANK ATM.

Even if they see someone doing something no one cares. Bangalore is getting worser day by day.

Last edited by Spitfire : 1st May 2008 at 21:20.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 21:22   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry to say but bro forget any Investigation from Cops. You know what a lady constable said when I was at Police station getting the FIR " Better Pray that your car is not found by the police, as firstly theives will take away with most of the parts, then the car will be lying in police station as you have to complete the formalities to get your car released & the other remaining parts will be lost or rusted & the car will be worth peanuts". Better take Insurance & get yourself another set of wheels.
I agree, my mother's Omni was stolen in 1995 Feb. FIR registered and was in process of getting the untraceble certificate. Along the way, cops came to arrest her due to a hit and run, luckily the FIR absolved her of any issue.

14 months later, the Ulsoorgate police came and said that they had the van. Apparently, it was found months ago nd they were using it until the new ASI ordered them to trace owner via Maruti (have they heard of the RTO?).

She went there and found my wedding invitation on the ASI's desk - all a hoax. They wanted money as they claimed to have done it up. It needed to be transferred to Commercial street. Some pull in the home office got it transferred by the time bits had disappeared. It sat outside for quite a while. Court had to close the case against the unknown person who stole it. For that, they wanted a surety of 100000 for an asset worth 20000. A few months later it came back.

Put new battery, tyres etc and it actually started up and went well (jap engine version). After selling my Sierra, I was saving for an Esteem so used this for a while, until, I was travelling and my mother lent it to a friend and, it got stolen. She forgot to renew the insurance. She made her friend file the FIR to cover herself but she ain't bothering to look for it
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 23:12   #36
Team-BHP Support

hondadude,

Sorry to hear. It is possible that these people would have observed your sister park in the same place/area (?) over a few days to have proceeded with the theft. Was the car locked - it could be possible that your sister might have forgotten to lock it in any hurry she might have been in at that time.

As to why an Indica - they steal mobile phones which they sell for perhaps even Rs 1000 - a car would fetch them multiple times that.

There were similar (attempted) car theft cases reported earlier on the forum. After reading those, I reinforced my existing policy of parking my car only in enclosed/gated areas like a mall parking or of course, the office parking lot. The one time I parked it on a public road it got vandalized with a deep scratch running along the entire left side of the car - which after repaint, has never been parked on a public road again.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 23:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
You are telling that the thief opened the gate and then made away with it? How did it happen?
My uncles car got stolen from his parking lot. The gates were not locked but the car was. He came home at 2.00am, parked, locked and gets inside. 30 minutes later, he hears some sound outside and checks it and what does he find - his car being driven off the drive way.

All shouting and running behind was of no use. He never got his vehicle back. All police pressure and using contacts came down to nothing. He finally got himself a Diesel Swift (one of the first ones delivered in Kerala) and is having a greater peace of mind.

The best part - he is the local municipality councilor of the place he stays!
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 04:26   #38
BANNED

Quote:
As for the theft cases from busy roads, my Alto was stolen within 3 months of purchase & that too when it was standing inside our home
You lucky guy ... my brand new jeep got stolen in 9 days and that too from outside my house .

Hondadude @ I know how frustrating it can be when the cops behave like idiots when one tries to be a good citizen and then turn super sweet when one call comes to them from the top . I closed my insurance claim in 3 months and that too as I was super lazy -- cud have done it in under 2 months ..

Hard luck mate ...

Last edited by GTO : 9th May 2008 at 12:02. Reason: No inappropriate language on this forum, even via ***
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 07:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

Default switch

I have a tandem heavy duty switch installed in a hard to find place in my vehicle. If it isn't toggled then it will not start no matter what you do to the ignition switch. It is not fool proof but it will tend to make thieves give up and go after something faster and easier to steal.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 09:22   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I have a tandem heavy duty switch installed in a hard to find place in my vehicle. If it isn't toggled then it will not start no matter what you do to the ignition switch. It is not fool proof but it will tend to make thieves give up and go after something faster and easier to steal.
Now that's an idea. Could you please elaborate about the Tandem switch. Is it some sort of circuit connector.

Yesterday after reading about all this, I decided to park my car inside the mall and kept the parking receipt with me (generally i leave it in the car) While I was looking for something I was always thinking whether I had locked all doors or not.

@Khaadu

Hey Its good to see you back, By the way the T-shirt you wore for the last meet totally doesnt suit you.
krazydriver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 09:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
Yesterday after reading about all this, I decided to park my car inside the mall and kept the parking receipt with me (generally i leave it in the car) While I was looking for something I was always thinking whether I had locked all doors or not.
To have peace of mind (when you park your car in less secure area), install a good gear lock. If its visible from outside, then the thief won't try his luck with your car. Even if somebody breaks in, they can lay their hands on the stuff inside the car, but the car itself will be intact.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 09:56   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
To have peace of mind (when you park your car in less secure area), install a good gear lock. If its visible from outside, then the thief won't try his luck with your car. Even if somebody breaks in, they can lay their hands on the stuff inside the car, but the car itself will be intact.
Yeah, I have the Autocop XS U type Gearlock installed.

Cool, that was some peace of mind.
krazydriver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 06:18   #43
Senior - BHPian

hondadude! Any updates and breakthroughs after you called on the cops.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 08:24   #44
BHPian

Default Two Scenarios

[quote=hondadude;815594]My driver came back from his native place. He said that he is sorry to hear about the car and he would be very happy to cooperate with cops or anyone else regarding this. He is available on his cell phone and will come whenever called. He also said that he has impeccable references for last eight years.

Now I think either he is one of the smartest con or he is completely innocent.quote]

Firstly, your driver is a strong suspect here, no matter how cooperative he is. He may have arranged/planned everything with the help of a 3rd party who would do the job while he (driver) has a genuine alibi.

Secondly, let us, for the moment consider that your driver is innocent, then for someone else to steal a car from such a busy area without attracting attention requires real talent. (I don’t think this scenario is feasible.) This is assuming that that your sister had closed all the windows and the car was locked without doubt.

Some of the members have asked whether your sister secured the car or not when she left it there, which is an important question. Didn’t you notice it? or maybe you thought it’s not appropriate to discuss that part here on a public forum. Am just asking, just want to make it clear, no offence meant.
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 13:02   #45
BHPian

hondadude,
this below article would help you.

Insurance firm to pay Rs 3 lakh for stolen vehicle
ramki067 is offline   Reply With Quote