Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th May 2008, 13:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default speed and lose your license

caught this new article today on CNNIBN
Speed up on Mumbai highway, lose license

seems to be drastic- but much needed. with speed limit of 60kmph its ok. considering most cities have it at 40.
Police are claiming a reductino in accidents (no accidents according to the cops) on the eastern expressway.

Last edited by madan80 : 14th May 2008 at 14:01.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 13:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ofcourse that is a good sign but traffic police should also make people adhere to lane discipline,respect the signal stops, honking nuisance.
Wish they come up something for those as well as its a growing menace.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 14:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

yes Mavrick
I completely agree with you
If only the road users would follow lane discipline and stop this incessant honking, how much easier life would be for us all!
Each morning and evening on the daily commute one finds a total disregard for these basic courtesies.
Largely the guilt rests with BPO Wagon/ Cab drivers, Auto Rickshaws (which ought to be regulated better than they are at the moment) and impatient 2 wheeler riders. Plus heavy vehicles which do not stay in the slow lane, but prefer to stray into the fast lane, causing more havoc.
Will these woes never end??

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Ofcourse that is a good sign but traffic police should also make people adhere to lane discipline,respect the signal stops, honking nuisance.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 14:05   #4
BHPian

Riding in Bangalore is very interesting. You can observe rapid, random movement of vehicles of all sizes and shapes. Zero commonsense and zero regard for life and property. Two wheelers, Chaffeur driven Indicas & Innovas seem to be the worst offenders.

As a one-person sample study, I observe from signal to signal as I ride in as straight a line as I can. Most two wheelers snake around me, squeeze in between buses, cut me off and other traffic to get ahead by an inch, etc. After about two lights, I see the snakes have made the same progress as the snail - me. Makes me wonder: Why do these folks risk their life an limb and in the process posing danger to other riders around them? They force you to brake, lose your footing, scrape other vehicles and generally indulge in reckless driving. Add the wonderful road surface to this mix.

Makes me wonder: India is proof that God exists and that He must be watching over us. Its a miracle there arent more fatalities everyday.

There was some initiative under BTRAC to have patrol vehicles discipline traffic. This may be our sole hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
shapra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 23:46   #5
BHPian

Speeding is not the main factor for accidents. It is the lack of driving expertise and understanding the rules. IMHO cutting lanes is the much more dangerous than speeding. How many of you have been given a challan for cutting lanes? Not many I am guessing.
santosh911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 12:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well in mumbai there are so many places where RTO stand with there gun (With which they mesure the speed) and if some one overspeeds then they are cought.
rjvora_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 12:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Speed = accidents is just another one of those archiac opinions that govt/police has.

If thats the case, then Europe should have maximum number of accidents on their freeways. And similarly, we shoould have maximum number of accidents on our Pune-Panvel expressway.

However, that is not the case. As rightly pointed out by board members, it is the driving sense/discipline which is the number one cause.

Ofcourse: not having discipline, and moving at high speeds just make your accidents more fatal.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 21:02   #8
BHPian

I agree with alpha1's comments here. Without discipline on road manners/rules, accident WILL happen regardless of driving speed. I was traveling at 100km on Chennai's highway when a car traveling on slow lane changed to fast lane instantly crossing 3 lances without regards for the vehicles behind him (No signals by him). I slammed the brakes to avoid hitting that car. I wished he knew what kinda mistake he did. I was lucky i guess with good reflex at that moment. These kinda mistakes starts at driving schools as well!!!
comet is offline   Reply With Quote