Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st May 2008, 01:51   #1

Unhappy Oh my GOD! I banged my brand new shiny car twice within a weeks time.

I banged my brand new shiny car twice within a weeks time... now its not so shiny in the front in some places. Its not the scratches that I'm worried about cos those are minor and can be fixed. Its that the things could have got worse. I'm new to driving and have driven about 60 kms till date or roughly 10 hours behind the wheel.. which includes the 5 hours I spent at driving class. Is this normal? ... have all of you faced such problems or is it just me?... this is such a confidence breaker and the people staring around only make things worse.
How to deal with things in such a situation?
daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 02:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Dont worry - put up some pics and watch the suggestions flow.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 02:36   #3
BHPian

Nothing new dude. As the mod suggested, put up some snaps of the places that need attention and see all the best advice that you get around here.

And dont worry, initially things happen. That's why it is called learning.
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 02:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its absolutely normal for a new driver to take a few hits. Everyone learns that way. All you need is some quick reflexes & quick thinking to be able to get out a situation.
Simple technique that I think anyone could use:
1)Search- Look around you at all times,while driving/riding. Make sure you have atleast a vague idea of what type of vehicles are around you on the road.If there are trouble makers,try to distance yourself from them.
2) Evaluate- figure out what your possibilities are,if something untoward were to happen. Ex- someone stopping suddenly; someone trying to cross the road in a hurry; or plain rash driving that affects your speed & judgement.

3) Execute- once you've figured out how to deal with the upcoming problems/situations, use your mind and do the best that you can.

These are techniques taught to new riders in the Motorcycle Foundation Course,here in the US.I've been riding for over a month now,and this approach really helps. It gives me a more secure feeling,as I am constantly watching my back.

Don't worry about the small things that happen. Always keep your cool,and avoid getting worked up about small dings & dents. It can't be helped in city traffic,the best you can do is to avoid injury to others.

Drive safe!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 02:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Default Your call, your decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemon View Post
I banged my brand new shiny car twice within a weeks time... Its that the things could have got worse. Is this normal? ... have all of you faced such problems or is it just me?...
There is no rule that says you can not get more instruction and more lessons from a GOOD driving teacher. It does not have to be a professional driving teacher but someone who really knows what he is doing.

The idea is not just to get a license but to drive accident free, with confidence and to know exactly what you are doing in any situation. Like anything else practice makes you perfect, that is, if you are dead honest about your abilities and think about what you are doing. Driving a lethal weapon, which is what a car is, demands caution, reflection and respect. You know what to do about this and you do not need us, who do not know you or your situation, to tell you what that is. Please do not hurt anyone including yourself. Be careful.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 11:12   #6
BHPian

Chill dude! We all have been through the same situation and in my case, it was just six months back. Your anxieties right now are perfectly normal and goes to prove that you are taking your mistakes seriously and are trying to learn. Which is good. It will take you a month of cautious driving to get completely used to driving in the city. Driving schools just give you the initial impetus. The real deal comes when you are driving on your own with no aid whatsoever (seriously, I learnt how to handle the clutch only after I started driving myself). So take it easy and be patient. Few tips though (apart from the ones already mentioned):-

1. Keep to the left lane and drive slowly for now. I mean extra cautiously. Let your hands and feet and reflexes get used to the whole environment easily and slowly you'll find yourself getting confident naturally.
2. Do keep looking at the RVMs constantly and keep the volume on your ICE low for now. You need to be fully aware of the vehicles around you. Again, these things will come more naturally with time.
3. Don't give a damn about how others are staring, laughing, shouting etc. They would face the same if they were to drive new. If your car stalls in the middle of the road (very common for new drivers as they tend to release the clutch too much), take it easy - just calmly slot the gear to 1st and slowly move along. Don't get panicky with all the honking and staring around.
4. Follow all the best practices of driving like respecting traffic signals, following lane discipline, indicator usage, 3-9 o' clock grip on steering wheel etc. You can find ample threads on T-BHP on all these practices.
5. Make sure you have a big 'L' sign on both the front and rear of your car.

All said, be careful and trust that you will be an expert driver in a few weeks' time.

Cheers!
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 12:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Try practicing during the early mornings on the roads you usually go to work,freakout etc,as there is very less traffic,you will get the hang of the roads and learn how to react on each road,this will gain alot confidence,dont worry ive banged my fiat more than 3times in a day when i used to learn in my early days
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 12:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Been there and done that

Do not worry, Post some photos and please mention what car it is. It takes a few months / years of driving till you become an expert. But everyone starts off at some time and everyone has a few dents, scratches along the way. That is what Insurance is for

Just be extra careful on Highways - Cars can be rebuilt but not lives. Drive safe and wear a seatbelt at all times.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 12:55   #9
BHPian

Practice, Practice, Practice and try it on first gear only and try to move through closely kept plastic bottles. Try to judge the length and width of the car. I have tried that in my initial run and it gives you real good judgment. With good judgment you will definitely have less accidents. At this movement you need to build up your confidence, that is going to come through more driving, hence practice.

~LT
linuxtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 12:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post

4. Follow all the best practices of driving like respecting traffic signals, following lane discipline, indicator usage, 3-9 o' clock grip on steering wheel etc. You can find ample threads on T-BHP on all these practices.

Cheers!
What is the 3-9 o' clock grip?
cediafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 13:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

It indicates the position of hands on the steering. Just check the 3'o clock and the 9'o clock position of the hour hand on an analog watch and you will understand.

Last edited by sammyboy : 21st May 2008 at 13:07. Reason: correction
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 13:09   #12
LLL
BHPian

If you dont have steering control, then i will suggest you get more practice using an old car before you start to drive your new one.

If you can control the car, then you should try and practice at times when roads are empty. Also take the car on roads you are very familiar with. Dont go on new roads or new places. Once you gain confidence, you can start trying new places but stick to wide roads. As your confidence increases, you can try more congested areas.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 13:59   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemon View Post
I banged my brand new shiny car twice within a weeks time... now its not so shiny in the front in some places. Its not the scratches that I'm worried about cos those are minor and can be fixed. Its that the things could have got worse. I'm new to driving and have driven about 60 kms till date or roughly 10 hours behind the wheel.. which includes the 5 hours I spent at driving class. Is this normal? ... have all of you faced such problems or is it just me?... this is such a confidence breaker and the people staring around only make things worse.
You've mentioned in the front - can you elaborate on the individual instances? Was it that the traffic in front braked suddenly? or did you find yourself braking but still bumped the vehicle in front of you?
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 08:05   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cediafan View Post
What is the 3-9 o' clock grip?
Please find your answers and continue the discussion in this thread :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ing-wheel.html (Driving Position / Where to hold the steering wheel!)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 08:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

everyone goes through this anxiety phase - dont worry.
as some of our other friends have said, try and practice driving on a quiet road in the early mornings for about an hour every day. get a friend to sit with you or someone else who you can call on and whom you trust - this will help build your confidence a great deal.
please at all times wear your seatbelt and be as alert as possible to other vehicles, people and animals on the road when you are driving. stick to the slow lane as much as possible till you become more confident.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote