Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 22nd May 2008, 19:39   #1
BHPian

Default First accident this bad !!

Hi guys,
It finally happended today, having said that I am not happy at all. I was on the way to office & passing Magarpatta city road, a canter stops in front of me & I brake & patiently wait. Check out the rear view mirror & see this Trax approaching me from behind showing no signs of slowing down. I have nowhere to go & I brace myself for the crash...& it happens, he goes straight into my rear bumper which propels my Palio into the canter infront of me, all this with the brakes on real hard.
I get out of the car to see the rear bumper is severed bigtime, walk infront of the car, the headlights are not broken but the bonnet has been boxed in & tilted up, also locked.
The canter guy sees this & gets away in a flash, I took down his registration number MH11-AL-37 & ditto for the Trax guy. I lodge a complaint with the Hadapsar police station & called up the insurance guys.
The car is still running, no radiator or engine damage!
Please help me in understanding what is the procedure for claiming insurance.
Also, ironically, I was talking to my wife this morning & mentioned how we are paying 10k something to the insurance guys for no reason, thankfully which I renewed just last week. I was also thinking of getting a touch up maintainence work done on the bumpers for the scratches. Realized how heavy & safe the Palio is. Probably saved me breaking my neck.

Moderator's note: Thread moved to appropriate section

Last edited by theMAG : 22nd May 2008 at 19:44.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 19:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

To claim insurance, you have to register claim with insurance (which you have already done). Next step is to go to a workshop which is authorized by the insurance (fiat or tata a.s.s for example). They usually prepare the estimates and call the insurance for inspection. After insurance guys inspect the vehicle and sign up for the work the workshop commences work. After the workshop is done with the work, usually they take the money that you are supposed to pay and take the rest from insurance.

It was prudent of you to file a FIR with police but it isn't needed in your case. FIR is definitely needed for third party claims or when there is injury to someone else or when the vehicle is stolen.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 19:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
To claim insurance, you have to register claim with insurance (which you have already done). Next step is to go to a workshop which is authorized by the insurance (fiat or tata a.s.s for example). They usually prepare the estimates and call the insurance for inspection. After insurance guys inspect the vehicle and sign up for the work the workshop commences work. After the workshop is done with the work, usually they take the money that you are supposed to pay and take the rest from insurance.

It was prudent of you to file a FIR with police but it isn't needed in your case. FIR is definitely needed for third party claims or when there is injury to someone else or when the vehicle is stolen.
Thanks for the quick reply sir. I am just relieved that I wouldn't have to run after all that documentation. Now I can enjoy my long weekend!! Also, it's a relief that I will finally get the scratches on the bumper fixed :o)
Old 22nd May 2008, 19:54   #4
BWN
BHPian

Hi,

Good to know you are safe. Please do file and FIR and adhere to the legal formalities. You will have to bribe the cops to book the Trax fellow, but its a must in order to put some sense into these idiot's head.

And yes... the tank like build of the palio is what you should thank for.
BWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 19:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
Hi,

Good to know you are safe. Please do file and FIR and adhere to the legal formalities. You will have to bribe the cops to book the Trax fellow, but its a must in order to put some sense into these idiot's head.

And yes... the tank like build of the palio is what you should thank for.
Trust me, till now I was only swearing on the Palio's exceptionally build quality without actually experiencing it, but now I can literally swear on the heavy duty nature of the car. I can just imagine how contradictary it would've been to be in my Maruti 800 instead!
Old 22nd May 2008, 21:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about the accident,mb_jg. The can will be fixed in no time.
Good thing you didn't sustain any injuries, more importantly a whiplash that could have caused some serious damage.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 21:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

I work at one of the offices in Magarpatta.
What time did it take place. Because, I daily reach Magarpatta & 3 and leave by midnight. Dint spot anything during that time.

And it is good to know that you are safe. Thats what matters in the end.
vinit.merchant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 21:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I work at one of the offices in Magarpatta.
What time did it take place. Because, I daily reach Magarpatta & 3 and leave by midnight. Dint spot anything during that time.

And it is good to know that you are safe. Thats what matters in the end.
Somewhere between 4:30-4:45, it happened just a bit ahead of the Magarpatta city junction, typically where the DAMNED U TURN is situated for the petrol bunk on the opposite side. That is where the bottleneck appears for arses taking that U turn.
Old 22nd May 2008, 21:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Somewhere between 4:30-4:45, it happened just a bit ahead of the Magarpatta city junction, typically where the DAMNED U TURN is situated for the petrol bunk on the opposite side. That is where the bottleneck appears for arses taking that U turn.
Agreed. Thats the worst turns. And it is mainly because most of the cab drivers from Magarpatta take a turn from there either for diesel or for Tea/Snacks. And they dont give a Damn about the oncoming traffic.

But the culprit in your case is not the people taking turns but the Canter driver. You should have tried to catch the Bugger.
The Police already have so many other important cases to cater to, that they would hardly give this a thought.

But as I said earlier, what matters in the end is that you are safe. And thats what we expect from our vehicles.
Which Palio do you own? 1.1, 1.2 or a 1.6?
vinit.merchant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 22:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

I had the same thing in mind the last time i had an accident. I thought they would paint my bumper and that would get rid of all the scratches.. THE BLIGHTERS painted only half the bumper.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 22:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

It really hurts to be involved in a accident for no mistake of yours!

Is there a crack in bumper? If so, you have to replace it with a new one.
And for bonnet, I guess it needs to be tinkered and painted.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 23:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Agreed. Thats the worst turns. And it is mainly because most of the cab drivers from Magarpatta take a turn from there either for diesel or for Tea/Snacks. And they dont give a Damn about the oncoming traffic.

But the culprit in your case is not the people taking turns but the Canter driver. You should have tried to catch the Bugger.
The Police already have so many other important cases to cater to, that they would hardly give this a thought.

But as I said earlier, what matters in the end is that you are safe. And thats what we expect from our vehicles.
Which Palio do you own? 1.1, 1.2 or a 1.6?
Yep, you are right Vinit, but what happens is the cab drivers end up parking their vehicles on the left side of the road & if someone is taking a U turn he eventually ends up blocking all traffic.....most of you would agree that no one blinks their indicators before turning, which results in most vehicles braking hard at the lastttt second.
I am not concerned about the police doing anything, I want my car back to normal & looking better than it is now.....it looks like it's hungry for something with the bumper partially titled in & up. & it should be hungry it's a 1.2, but I've had no issues with pick-up lag, maintained the engine in pristine condition. That's where my heart breaks, you care & care more for your car & some #$%^& who can't keep his vehicle straight bumps into you.
Anyways, I am glad nothing happened to me, I just wouldn't want to see the inside of a hospital or operating room ever.

Last edited by mb_jg : 22nd May 2008 at 23:23.
Old 22nd May 2008, 23:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
It really hurts to be involved in a accident for no mistake of yours!

Is there a crack in bumper? If so, you have to replace it with a new one.
And for bonnet, I guess it needs to be tinkered and painted.
Yeah Finneyp, I would've been really depressed if the accident took place cause of my silly mistake, but it doesn't hurt as much knowing it wasn't your fault & no one was hurt.
The rear bumper is cracked & dislodged, the front one is fine, only dislodged. But the bonnet looks really funny, like a gold fish sucking for air!!!

Any idea how much new bumpers would set me back by? This month has been financially disastrous for me :o(, just hope it doesn't cost a bomb to get it repaired.

Last edited by mb_jg : 22nd May 2008 at 23:28.
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:43   #14
BHPian

Palio bumper should cost u about 2k and another 2k for painting. Painting would be covered by insurance. For bumper you would need to pay 50% of the cost.
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:53   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Palio bumper should cost u about 2k and another 2k for painting. Painting would be covered by insurance. For bumper you would need to pay 50% of the cost.
4K for a palio bumper is expensive. As even an Accent bumper comes for around the same price or maybe slightly higher.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote