Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 30th May 2008, 23:23   #31
BANNED

I also have seen mostly cars and cabs turning like morons. Most of them are just normal people in their new car and they don't know how to turn. You always turn towards the nearer side of the road. License, whats the big deal ours is license raj!!
Most of the driving skills in India are rudimentary like starting, driving without colliding and stopping- rest we are yet to learn.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 23:42   #32
Team-BHP Support

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  8.8 KB
Checkout the situation above. I was about to take a blind left turn and I see a woman on moped turning into me, on my lane. I was able to brake in time and save her life. We stopped with 2ft between us.

Then I thought she will move out of my way. She didn't, she just stood there like she was the victim. After waiting 30 seconds, I moved to right and stopped next to her. Before I could open my mouth, she says:

She: Maine Horn Mara.
Me: Which damn country are you from? In this country we drive on the left.
Me: Yeah, who gave you license before you learnt to drive. Don't you know you have to drive on left side?
Me: So if you "Horn Mara" you can do anything and go anywhere on road?
Me:
(Then I left)
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 00:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Following such decorum on our roads can be actually hazardous sometimes!
Here's a scenario I face EACH TIME while returning home: I turn on the flasher for an upcoming right turn and invariably there is some moron following who is in a tearing hurry and intends to overtake.
If I do my turn the 'right way' I'll obviously be STARTING my turn a 'correct' distance into the turn, and what happens here is VERY interesting: The moron following has ALREADY concluded I am not turning and has started his overtaking manoeuvre!
If you are not keeping a strict vigil (in your RVM) on such fools, there is bound to be a bad brush!
I was about to write the same thing. Also, if you turn the correct way you have to slow down a little more to do it. This will get you a horn and some fool hanging on your rear bumper (if not passing you). Just today on my own street my loving neighbor did this to me. Tonight I will stick a potato up his exhaust pipe and shoot his porch light out. No, I will just come here and rant and rave.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 00:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Tonight I will stick a potato up his exhaust pipe and shoot his porch light out.
I like the idea. I think we should talk further. I have a list of morons right here in my apartment block.

Last edited by Torqy : 31st May 2008 at 00:21.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 00:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Attachment 18015
Checkout the situation above. I was about to take a blind left turn and I see a woman on moped turning into me, on my lane. I was able to brake in time and save her life. We stopped with 2ft between us.

Then I thought she will move out of my way. She didn't, she just stood there like she was the victim. After waiting 30 seconds, I moved to right and stopped next to her. Before I could open my mouth, she says:
I keep a newspaper somewhere in the vehicle with me. Here these things happen several times a week e.g. when the downhill guy refuses to yield to the uphill guy.
(It's all hills here.)
When I get into an impasse situation I just look at the other driver, smile and pull out the newspaper and start reading it. This usually drives them nuts and they move.

The hills are so steep here in places that the downhill guy sometimes can not reverse back up the hill. If he tries he stalls out. Then the uphill guy may have to use some common sense and yield. I saw a funny thing yesterday on just such a very steep hill. A taxi Omni was coming up, a heavy loaded goods carrier pickup was going down. They met and the Omni guy lost his temper and started yelling at the pickup to reverse and get out of the way. The pickup driver just smiled and put his pickup into reverse and promptly stalled out. The pickup driver set his break, got out , smiling at everyone, took several seconds to find the right sized rock and put this in front of his front wheel to prevent rolling downhill. Then he got into his pickup, put it in reverse and moved up the slope 1 meter before stalling out again. He set the brake, got out and moved the rock back in front of the front wheel again, all the time smiling at everyone including the Omni taxi. He repeated this procedure several more times until the Omni taxi driver lost it completely and gunned his Omni passed the goods carrier using the rough side of the road where he hit some concrete steps which bounced his front end up in the air as he wildly careened up the road. The goods carrier driver smiled at him and gave him the "hands together namaste" sign as he went by. A bunch of us who had gotten out of our cars to watch were holding our sides laughing. Sometimes you see poetic justice out there.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 01:53   #36
BHPian

Samurai
Thats how allmost all people on Indian roads take turns. Today I was just watching people turn and gosh I just wanted to go up to them and punch their guts out!
0% road sense 100% street driving/riding style. These guys know how to use the gas pedal and the brake. Everything else in the hands of the allmighty (acording to them)!

DD
you try doing that here, the local thugs will come and drag you out of your vechile and give you a good beating even if you are on the right direction.

Im fedup with such people on the streets. I hope somehow they read this and fix their flawed ways.
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 07:32   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Me: Yeah, who gave you license before you learnt to drive. Don't you know you have to drive on left side?
Me:
(Then I left)
Oh Samu, here's what you should have said

Me: Aur maine Brake mara. Tumhara moped horn se ruk jaata hai kya? Chup chap barabar side pe chalao. Abhi jao.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 07:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Tonight I will stick a potato up his exhaust pipe ...

And SO VERY symbolic too!! Specially since you say 'his' exhaust pipe, not his car's!
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 12:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

I have moved to Bangalore from Bombay a few months back - and the Bangalore traffic is pathetic in comparison. In Bombay, people know when they are in the wrong - and follow rules. Bombay police is far more strict, and if a guy is on the wrong lane, or was trying some stunt, he admits and moves on. Here, people make ridiculous turns, drive on wrong side of the road (driving ulta for 200 m and making the oncoming traffic swerve), and heavy traffic moves on the right lane. Not bashing the city, but there seems to be a big time warp between what's happening in IT and the local people's driving habits and behaviour. Maybe I got spoiled in Bombay, but people here are totally oblivious - if you point out their mistake, they don't even know what they have done wrong.

Don't know about Chennai, but having seen Calcutta, Delhi, Bombay and now Bangalore, I think Bombay traffic is most systematic (with less people suffering from road rage too - a plus).
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 13:17   #40
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I have moved to Bangalore from Bombay a few months back - and the Bangalore traffic is pathetic in comparison. In Bombay, people know when they are in the wrong - and follow rules. Bombay police is far more strict, and if a guy is on the wrong lane, or was trying some stunt, he admits and moves on. Here, people make ridiculous turns, drive on wrong side of the road (driving ulta for 200 m and making the oncoming traffic swerve), and heavy traffic moves on the right lane. Not bashing the city, but there seems to be a big time warp between what's happening in IT and the local people's driving habits and behaviour. Maybe I got spoiled in Bombay, but people here are totally oblivious - if you point out their mistake, they don't even know what they have done wrong.
You have a point there.

Couple of points you have to remember
  • Bombay has wide roads (As compared to BLR)
  • The growth in BLR has been unprecedented over the last decade, for which the city was not planned at all.
cheers:
eclectix 1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 13:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
, but people here are totally oblivious - if you point out their mistake, they don't even know what they have done wrong.
Nilanjan, in Delhi, people are not oblivious of their mistakes; they know very well what they have done. But, if you accost or point out, there will be a string of expletives establishing relationships with mothers and sisters!! And pointing out that you are ALIVE still, so nothing serious has happened (yet!).
That is if you have not invoked that much revered 'road rage' that Delhi is so well known for! In that eventuality there remains nothing to discuss; a knife penetrates your guts.
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 15:29   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Me:
(Then I left)

Little Miss Muppet
Sat on a moped,
Eating of curds and blowing horn.
Along came Samurai and drove down beside her
And frightened Miss Muppet away.

Anyway, I have nothing but pity on these people because they end up crushed under a truck (always alleged to be rashly driven) sooner or later.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 15:44   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Oh Samu, here's what you should have said

Me: Aur maine Brake mara. Tumhara moped horn se ruk jaata hai kya? Chup chap barabar side pe chalao. Abhi jao.
I did say something to that effect, but in Kannada. My Hindi isn't fluent enough and she didn't look like she would understand English.

spadival, that was a good one.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 16:42   #44
Team-BHP Support

Samu similar thing happened with me.
To females on a kinetic kinda vehicle, on wrong side of a narrow road, because some if traffic jam.
Since she knew people waiting in the line for traffic to clear up were mad, she took the short cut turn and came right in front of me.
She did not stop and honked, I also did not stop and honked.
And last minute slight bang(very slow speeds).

MY wife told her "Look girl its not America, here you drive on the left, not right"
She just gave us a dirty look and went away,with a broken indicator
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 17:51   #45
BHPian

So, i am the one in BLUE, waiting patiently at the Red light like a civilized citizen. As soon as the light turns Green, this joker in RED comes from behind and cuts it only to block the road further ahead.

He wins - I lose - because - I still end up waiting because by now the light is already RED again.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote