Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 2nd June 2008, 21:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
In the Accent, i have felt otherwise. Always feel the stock ones in Accent (= fogs) are better than the 100/90 ones in my WagonR.
Yes, I do remember now that a pal of mine had an Accent till 2005, and his lights were quite decent. I wonder why they did not fit the same quality headlights in the Verna.
BTW, what does (=fogs) mean?
Old 2nd June 2008, 22:03   #32
BHPian

Ok, the problem with Hyundai Vehicles are, they do not come with very good Headlights as I own Santro and Verna and believe me I did not expect Verna to provide so inadequte light.

The problem with Santro is if U drive on Low beam the light goes sow low that U dont even see the road 20 feets away and its not possible to drive at 50-60 KM at that speed, forget about high speed driving. I drive on low beam as much as I can but when I have to hit about 60 or highways I have to switch to high beam as its not possible to drive with low beam.

I tried switching to better bulbs but that didn't help as the fittings of headlight is such a way that the focus of light is not good. Tried making some adjustment but they look out of place so changed it back to to its original place.

The good thing about Verna is that U can adjust the light focus but the lisgt is really inadeqaute. I m thinking of switching to better bulbs very soon.
Old 2nd June 2008, 23:19   #33
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Santro headlights are big ... the reflectors are huge, therefore the light on high beam is very well spread and bright. Whenever i drive othercars the only headlights that hurt the eye from the oncomming traffic is either of an indica or a santro!

IMHO Santro headlights are not poor or anything its just that people have to be educated to drive on low beams.
Old 2nd June 2008, 23:54   #34
Team-BHP Support

I do not know whether you guys forgot this but we have discussed this many times in the past as well. And Praveen you are correct. This is one generalization which I am afraid is true to a big extent.

I remember this discussions well because Santro headlights are something that always irritate me. I have even said this many times before. Here is a quote from one of my posts in the past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappo
I think you do have a point there. In fact some generalizations are actually true to a big extent. One such case is that of the Santro owners and their moronic penchant of driving with the full beam in your face/eyes, thereby blinding you completely. No matter how desperatly you flash they will never dip their headlights. At least in 95% of the cases that is what happens. Thats the way of life I guess. I have surrendered myself to that generalization although some Santro owners do not fall in that category.
There are many more... here are some links.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...tml#post647450

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/colle...tml#post528313

Now, here is one below from the horse's mouth. One of our Santro owner's (and another one over that post) agreeing to its blinding power.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...tml#post696382

And even the tail lamps?! Go figure...
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...tml#post688580
Old 2nd June 2008, 23:57   #35
BHPian

Leave out the Cab and commercial vehicles guys. For them the low beams does not exist. Also mostly they are driven by un-educated people mainly migrating for job from towns/villages and it's difficult to make them understand the difficulty it causes for others.

But i was surprised with so many santros on high beam considering that they mostly will be self driven by owners who are supposedly "educated". There are some sensible sanntro drivers, but there are also surprising % of them on High beams...always

Next time you get blinded, try and identify the car. Dont try and look through the glare to identify it LOL. Just give it a side glance(or a glare!!) as it passes you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Racer View Post
Ok, the problem with Hyundai Vehicles are, they do not come with very good Headlights as I own Santro and Verna and believe me I did not expect Verna to provide so inadequte light.

The problem with Santro is if U drive on Low beam the light goes sow low that U dont even see the road 20 feets away and its not possible to drive at 50-60 KM at that speed, forget about high speed driving. I drive on low beam as much as I can but when I have to hit about 60 or highways I have to switch to high beam as its not possible to drive with low beam.
I really have not noticed, but doesnt santro have headlamp levelling?? That should help to some extent.
Old 3rd June 2008, 01:29   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Leave out the Cab and commercial vehicles guys. For them the low beams does not exist. Also mostly they are driven by un-educated people mainly migrating for job from towns/villages and it's difficult to make them understand the difficulty it causes for others.

But i was surprised with so many santros on high beam considering that they mostly will be self driven by owners who are supposedly "educated". There are some sensible sanntro drivers, but there are also surprising % of them on High beams...always

Next time you get blinded, try and identify the car. Dont try and look through the glare to identify it LOL. Just give it a side glance(or a glare!!) as it passes you.

I really have not noticed, but doesnt santro have headlamp levelling?? That should help to some extent.

I drive the Euro 1 model of Santro which is like 9 years old and at that time that model did not come with headlight levelling, I guess in newer model do come with levelling option.
Old 3rd June 2008, 02:19   #37
BHPian

I have noticed that some mo bikes have poor batteries as soon as the driver accelerates the headlights start to get brighter like a high beam, something that can really irritate your eyes.
I lose my patience with uneducated drivers and Delhi is full of them, thats when i will go high beam in response i sometimes wish i had the brightest blinding high beam.
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I tried switching to better bulbs but that didn't help as the fittings of headlight is such a way that the focus of light is not good. Tried making some adjustment but they look out of place so changed it back to to its original place.
I think Ace_Racer has made a perfect point. IMHO, The Santro has an excellent low beam with a good spread for 30/40 km/hr city traffic but is totally inadequate and pointed too low down for faster speeds. As a result, most Santro drivers probably keep flipping to high beam when going faster.
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

i had the original santro in 1999 - the model saying euro1 on a green sticker at the back. that didnt have headlamp levelling etc.
i think the i10 comes with this feature but not the newer santro's - could be mistaken though.

Quote:
I drive the Euro 1 model of Santro which is like 9 years old and at that time that model did not come with headlight levelling, I guess in newer model do come with levelling option.
Old 3rd June 2008, 12:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

Just an small Update, driven my friend's new i10 day before and damn, it was almost like driving without lights on. I felt it was really inadequate. But it was raining that time and may be the fact that I'm used to my philips rally lights.
Old 4th August 2009, 14:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

but for people at the recieveing end of a santro are very much blinded
we even have a thread on that
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ntro-guys.html
Old 4th August 2009, 16:19   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Looks like Hyundai does not make good headlights. I've heard numerous complaints by Verna owners that the stock headlights are very poor, and most of them had to upgrade.
I beg to differ totally. When I changed my Esteem to the Accent I felt that I was driving on a carpet of light. Ditto when I changed from Zen to Santro.

I must add that the new clear glass designs are far superior to the old lights with lenses.
Closed Thread