Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 3rd June 2008, 10:36   #16
BHPian

In Delhi maruti omni(van) were being used by some people to carry children.these vans had cng cylinders in the back,and the driver used to ask the kids to use the cylinder as a SEAT,CAN you imagine.

and parents were quite OK with this.

now the govt has issued directives to ensure that such things do not happen
ankit.jhamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 10:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
now the govt has issued directives to ensure that such things do not happen
Governments issuing directives is one thing, people and the law enforcers making sure that these are followed is completely another.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 10:49   #18
Team-BHP Support

After tragedy strikes:
The Hindu : Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : It's blame game after tragedy
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 10:51   #19
BHPian

People think that its all right. Nothing will happen to my child. And anyway, its so much of an effort to get people together and to collectively force the auto wallah to only take 3-4 kids per trip.

So, things will go on like this. Voices like Samurai's will be raised once in a while, but nothing will be actually done. There are just too many school children looking for transport, for it to affect the auto wallahs.

Anyway, my vote goes for Samurai. You did the right thing. But how does your child get to school? In the GV?
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 10:55   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Anyway, my vote goes for Samurai. You did the right thing. But how does your child get to school? In the GV?
No, Santro gets that duty, traffic is not an issue here. I drop him in the morning, wife picks up in the evening.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 10:55   #21
BANNED

Four children killed in CNG car explosion - Sify.com
Quote:
The children were studying in Millat School on S.V. Road in Jogeshwari West and the accident happened in the same area around 1 p.m. when the students were heading back home.

"All the children were in the age group of three to five years."

It is suspected that CNG was leaking from the tank installed in the vehicle.
NDTV Video: NDTV.com

From America - The School Bus Rules-rules, safety tips, the law, and information to keep children safe in school buses and traffic.
Quote:
Our children are precious, and their safety is very important. One of the most dangerous situations they will face during their day is getting on and off their school bus. They do not always follow the rules. We have to make sure we know and follow the rules, to keep them safe.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 10:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No, Santro gets that duty, traffic is not an issue here. I drop him in the morning, wife picks up in the evening.
I believe that this is the best practice! The parents should take the responsibility to drop and pickup their children. I do understand that this may not be feasible in big cities but atleast in smaller cities! I don't remember a single day in my schooling days when I was dropped or picked up by anyone other than my father.

People now cite the reason of not having time, but ones own children are ones own responsibility.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:06   #23
Team-BHP Support

IMHO: The parents should take the responsibility.

no excuses, no workarounds, nothing really matters.
Its your kid, work it out.
Form a car pool, whatever. its your responsibility.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, I am surprised that you were SURPRISED that 13-14 kids travel in rickshaw. It is known fact and here in Vadodara ( I believe this is all around in India ) you can all these people transport a lot of kids ( I mean that there are a lot of rickshaws doing this acitvity ).

First let the kid into the cabin, then hang his/her bag outside the riskshaw in hook.
You think that this is dangerous !
Figure out this.

There are equal number of Maruti Omni ( popularly called Van ) that would also pack in more than 18 kids and run on DOMESTIC LPG CYLINDERS THEY GET FROM BLACK MARKET FOR RS 380-400 INSTEAD OF 320 for house hold. This way they run at cheap fuel and at the safety of kids. There have been incidences that could have resulted into accidents. I have myself witnessed one back in 2004.

While returning from Bright Day school ( went there to take neighbours kid when is grandfather had cardiac arrest ) I could smell LPG coming out from Omni. I did not touch my spirit that was parked next to the car and Knocked on the car. Someone came from somewhere and asked what ? I asked him to concentrate on the smell and he soon realized what was happening. He opened lid and yes it was domestic LPG cylider that was straight away kept into trunk. It could have been worse and this has happened in the past.

There is again no solution to this problem and sometimes parents are forced to let their kids go like this.

I dont know why, but here our government is also the culprit because of high cost of fuel.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:08   #25
BHPian

You know Samurai, you are lucky you have the time and the resources to drop your kids to school. Its hard for people who don't. They are the ones who travel by scooter with kids hanging on to their mothers. I am sure at least some of these people have qualms about travelling this way. I am certain they would take a safer transport if they could afford.

Its like putting up a lightning conductor on your roof. You think its unlikely that lightning will strike my roof, if it strikes, it will, elsewhere. And they let their kids travel with 12 other kids in the same auto rickshaw.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

For the ones who do not have own transportation facilities have to rely on this only option.

If you ask the auto driver to take only 4-5 kids for a trip citing the safety reasons, you will be asked to pay the extra difference $. Not many will be able to afford it.

Even if you agree to it, its difficult to find auto drivers for your terms as they know the trick that its always safer to have revenue from different sources

Every parents preference would be not to dump their kid in an auto, but...............

And other issue is timing. Many parents prefer their kids to be at school just 5 or 10 minutes before the final bell or they will be able to get things ready only with that time. This mass transportation addresses the issue, but at the cost of safety

There is a saying " There should be fear in life, but life should not be full of fear"

PS: Is this thread in the right section (The Indian Car Scene)?

Last edited by Surprise : 3rd June 2008 at 11:23.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

My 2 bits:

My son's playschool was located about 4 km from my house and the only 'public' transport available was an old LPG Maruti Omni with wooden seats. We point-blank refused to let my son anywhere near the vehicle and instead, bought a Indica and kept a driver for 6k/month just to ferry him around while sire sat in his car seat at the back! Mind you, buying the second car was totally unplanned and we are still in dire straits because of this :-)

Contrast this with a nice couple we met who had 2 kids in the school. They were US-returned and seemed pretty well off with their own flat in a posh area near the school. They were very comfortable with the kids (2 1/2 & 3 1/2 years) going in the Omni. We were so dumbstruck that we never even broached the topic. They are now finalising a dedicated autorickshaw to carry the older one (alone) to her new school. Picture the 2 scenarios:

1. A Omni with LPG kit (looks like an unlicensed conversion to my layman's eye) stuffed with around 14 children, wooden seats and no seatbelts (you must be joking!)
2. A 4 year old girl going alone in a auto to school. Any hard braking or turns and she will immediately fall out of the auto.

If highly educated, prosperous 'enlightened' people can do this, what hope does India have? Then they complain of injuries caused due to bad roads, traffic, driving indiscipline and of course, child molestation.

What would you prefer? Financial hardship to ensure the safety of our precious children or save money by not ensuring safe transport, car seats etc?

Please, before people flame me for being preachy because we can afford to do all this: we seriously dipped into our financial reserves to accomplish what we have. I am NOT someone who gets paid more than what I should get or missed out on these in my childhood and hence am on a guilt trip now with my kids :-)

I am just trying to reiterate a very valid point.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

2. A 4 year old girl going alone in a auto to school.

Then they complain of injuries caused due to bad roads, traffic, driving indiscipline and of course, child molestation.
I sincerely hope they read the dailies to know what's happening around the world. We should not take any chances
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
This practice has been often practiced in Pune too.

Sometime ago it was banned with maximum six kids were allowed per rickshaw, and Parents were the one protesting saying it costs more now there will be less number of children in rickshaw
Awesome. Pune autowallas are the second worst to Bangy ones I have seen. And to see people siding with them just because it is going to be more expensive by 200 odd bucks, sad attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
There are 2 problems here.
1. There is simply no time for parents to take their kids to school & have to depend on the mode available.
2. Cost. Say the auto guy charges anywhere between 500-750 per month. If it were to be a van which would seat the same number of children, he would charge 1500 per month per child for the 14 of them. How many can afford that ?

whats the alternative here. I am not justifying the auto
Are alternatives more important than safety? So many of us working late night shifts and going to office by 12-2 PM (IT and non IT both), I am sure you could take out 30 minutes to drop your kid to school and let another family person pick them up. Work is important, but not at the cost of other precious things in life. That attitude just isn't right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

These things will always happen until we learn to say no to wrong things in life. Everybody watches movies like RDB and come out saying we will change but forget the cause after a couple of days. Until your soul is truly enlightened and support the cause truly & fully, things won't change.
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:31   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Samurai, I am surprised that you were SURPRISED that 13-14 kids travel in rickshaw. It is known fact and here in Vadodara ( I believe this is all around in India ) you can all these people transport a lot of kids ( I mean that there are a lot of rickshaws doing this acitvity ).
I was aware of 6-8 kids being transported in autos. But 14 was just mind boggling. Be aware that I am talking about a 3-seater auto like this one, with no extra guards or extra seats.

Name:  autorickshaw.jpg
Views: 5805
Size:  20.2 KB
Source: ARNABlog: Auto Rickshaws

It is not a question of time or resource. Can you really put a price on your kids life? Even when I was in Bangalore, I used to drop and pickup my son from school, and I lived in Banneraghatta road, so imagine the traffic. Therefore, I made sure I put him into a near by school even in Bangalore.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote