Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 17:12   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I totally disagree on that suman. No man has the right to pass judgments on anything unless he knows the full facts first hand. Rich or poor or in between or nowhere.
If that is the case, half the threads on this forum wouldn't exist.

But we are going OT here - and you are also (perhaps incorrectly) assuming that all those who are advocating against the 14 in an auto do not know the full facts or all the options that are available. I don't think so - I think its a question of how much they are willing to push their luck because they are not willing to or are unable to take the trouble of dropping their kids to school (by whatever means)
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 17:22   #107
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 73
Thanked: 3 Times
Default If the auto facility itself is not there

I just read this thread with real interest since i am exactly at the same stage and i decided for school bus even though it is costly and will dent my budget. Also i need to walk more than a km to drop my kid to bus.

In relation to this topic, i was thinkiing about the argument that people opt to auto since there is no other alternative. I may be naive in this thinking, but i wonder if there is no auto facility to the school does that me none of the kids going in over crowded autos will stop studying.

NO... People will try alternatives which will be difficult personally for them in the first place, but will get used to it.

So people will find alternatives, it is just that lack of will / herd mentality / wrong hope that is keeping these parents to send their kids in these autos.
vennarbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 17:48   #108
BHPian
 
PatchyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 822
Thanked: 1,187 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

I totally disagree on that suman. No man has the right to pass judgments on anything unless he knows the full facts first hand. Rich or poor or in between or nowhere.
I agree with you on this one John. I feel Suman's view is not worded correctly. While no man has the right to pass a judgement on anything, I am sure you will agree that every man has the right to have an opinion on everything.

I always thought that we post our opinions here. Not judgements.

What do you think Suman?

Cheers,
Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 19:13   #109
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
If that is the case, half the threads on this forum wouldn't exist.
we are all expressing our opinions. the person at the recieving end of a bad opinion/or one advocating for the person at the recieving end may percieve an opinion as being a judgement.


Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
and you are also (perhaps incorrectly) assuming that all those who are advocating against the 14 in an auto do not know the full facts or all the options that are available. I don't think so - I think its a question of how much they are willing to push their luck because they are not willing to or are unable to take the trouble of dropping their kids to school (by whatever means)
I agree again.
no one is blaming parents who are strapped for cash and struggling. the people that deserve to be judged and punished are the ones who are well off, can afford it, and still persist in putting their children at risk.
there are a good number of those.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 22:27   #110
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

When i was looking for my daughter's admission in Montessori, I had lot of conditions.

1. Important: The school should not be too far from my house. It would be easy for me to pick up and drop her and she is too young (3 1/2 years) to be travelling for hours just to reach her school.

2. The school should be good with good teachers.. etc etc.. (regular ones)

I should say i am very lucky to find a good school within 2km from my house. Actually it is the other way round. We shifted to a house which is less than 2km from the school. So now i can drop her at school personally.

I agree that not all parents can do so but it is their responsibility to ensure that safe transport is ensured for the child. If there are lot of children from the same school in the area, you can try and put pressure on the school management to provide a school bus/van to that area.
Orion_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 22:41   #111
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 865
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I totally disagree on that suman. No man has the right to pass judgments on anything unless he knows the full facts first hand.
I am sorry I have to disagree with that and I also think you are a little confused. Every man in a free country is entitled to an opinion which he may pass of as his judgment but at the same time you are free too to not accept it . We just can't say they shouldn't have opinions.

Last edited by zaks : 4th June 2008 at 22:43.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 22:45   #112
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 865
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Why are people feeling so upset when the issue of children's safety is brought up? Is it because they are guilty?
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 09:06   #113
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,136
Thanked: 1,563 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank
i decided for school bus even though it is costly and will dent my budget.
Out of curiousity, what were the other alternatives available to you ? And when you say it is costly, what is the comparison against ? Because I would think that the school bus would be a cheaper option compared to autos/cabs etc. I could be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank
Also i need to walk more than a km to drop my kid to bus.
That's a blessing in disguise. Not only do you get some quality time with your kid, you also get some exercise.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 10:11   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I always thought that we post our opinions here. Not judgements.

What do you think Suman?

Cheers,
Rajan
Rajan, correct me if I'm wrong but IMHO, very often, what happens is that someone not agreeing with someone else's opinion says that the other person has no right to pass judgement

As Doc & Zaks have summed up nicely -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
the person at the recieving end of a bad opinion/or one advocating for the person at the recieving end may percieve an opinion as being a judgement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Every man in a free country is entitled to an opinion which he may pass of as his judgment but at the same time you are free too to not accept it . We just can't say they shouldn't have opinions.

Last edited by suman : 5th June 2008 at 10:27.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 10:59   #115
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,727
Thanked: 9,037 Times
Default

My daughter's school is 20 km away. The school has engaged BMTC and planned the routes so that no bus stops more than 5 times and no journey is beyond an hour. Each child is accounted for and none are allowed to walk home alone without written parent permission. A teacher will remain on the bus till the last stop. No bus is over full

If there is a delay/ jam, the school office monitors this and lets us know.

Recently during a week when a school play was held in the evening. The principal personally told the kids which buses to go where and supervised their departure rather than hobnob with the parents afterwards.

I pay nearly 1200 per month but the peace of mind is priceless
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 13:11   #116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 73
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Out of curiousity, what were the other alternatives available to you ? And when you say it is costly, what is the comparison against ? Because I would think that the school bus would be a cheaper option compared to autos/cabs etc. I could be wrong though.
I have the other options of auto and private vans. School Bus atleast in my case is not cheaper. In fact it costs more than autos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
That's a blessing in disguise. Not only do you get some quality time with your kid, you also get some exercise.
Sure, i am for it. In morning i can drop him but he returns back in afternoon and since both my wife and I go to office, it will be tough for elders to pick the kid in chennai sun
vennarbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 16:50   #117
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default

Ajmat,

20 kms, 1200 bucks a month is cheap. We had some 800 bucks when I was in school almost a decade back, for a 17km a side route. And what amazing service. That is indeed a very good school, which one?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 18:04   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Rajan, correct me if I'm wrong but IMHO, very often, what happens is that someone not agreeing with someone else's opinion says that the other person has no right to pass judgement

Suman, there is a difference between opinion & judgment, i just hope you know that.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 10:19   #119
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 124
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

6 kids hurt as auto hits bus

It's good that the kids escaped without any major injuries. Hopefully the parents will at least now realize the danger they have put their kids into and make amends...

Last edited by thangu : 6th June 2008 at 10:24.
thangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 16:42   #120
BHPian
 
PatchyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 822
Thanked: 1,187 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thangu View Post
6 kids hurt as auto hits bus

It's good that the kids escaped without any major injuries. Hopefully the parents will at least now realize the danger they have put their kids into and make amends...
My bet is they will either say that it was the Bus driver's fault or the Auto Driver's fault and conveniently ignore the fact that they are the PRIME ACCUSED in this case.

They will just find another Auto.

Cheers,
Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How safe Are Rear Bike Alloy Wheels For Children as Pillions? anjan_c2007 Motorbikes 32 21st June 2010 16:12
Delhi-Kolkata road trip: is it safe to travel during Holi moeinuk Route / Travel Queries 51 5th March 2010 10:55
Is it safe to travel to US and Canada now in view of swine flu? nagvasireddy Route / Travel Queries 8 10th May 2009 21:31
Pune-Goa(24th Jan) Is it safe to travel via the border(MH-Ka) town of Nipani footloose15 Route / Travel Queries 6 23rd January 2009 20:09
6 year old misses bus, drives ford taurus to school,crashes it,walks on to school ! sidindica Shifting gears 21 12th January 2009 22:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks