Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 6th June 2008, 17:40   #1
BHPian

Default Will drivers ever get "road-literate"??

Ok. I'm really frustrated. I'm frustrated by the way some people drive around mumbai city. I was driving from Bandra to Malad, I had some work on the way so I turned into this street (don't know the name) which had two way traffic. I was merrily going at a good pace, windows rolled up, the AC cooling me down and the music playing slow. Out of nowhere, this guy on his motorbike zig-zags dead right in front of me coz there's a truck coming from the opposite direction and he was riding in the wrong lane earlier so had to swerve in. I brake real hard and honk at the same time (sort of a reflex action). The scorpio behind me was right on my tail and it braked damn hard too. The biker was ignorant and seeing this I flipped my headlights and he turned back staring at me apparently unaware or unashamed of what he was doing.
The scorpio's front had feather-touched my car's rear, minimally so but still it had kind of jolted me.
The biker just looked back staring at and apparently screaming in some swear language which I couldn't hear coz I was in my car. He seemed to be in his 20's and those rowdy kind of guys with no road sense whatsoever.

Before I could move my car to the side and decide what to do, the scorpio just rushed past me. I could see some really burly guys in it and I thought this is going to get ugly. The biker was still just standing ahead waiting for me to come out and dare him to fight. I parked my car to the side. In the meantime, the 3 huge guys came out from the scorpio. One went to the biker and two were coming towards me. I had my hands on speed dial just in case When they came, I explained to them how this had happened and to my shock and relief they said it's ok. Frankly, I don't know what would have happened if they'd just come out with blows.
They checked my car for damages and seemed like decent people. I could see the other guy talking to the biker who was so dumb or foolish that he started abusing that guy, in English that too. When I looked at the biker for a bit longer I realised he was a college going kid about 21-22 and well educated. He had taken off his helmet and surprisingly had earphones in both ears
The two guys close to me told me that they had seen the biker riding very rashly, I thanked them and decided to leave as I was getting real late.
By the time I was ready to leave I saw all 3 guys talking to the biker who had now literally joined his hands and was saying sorry and crying. Nobody had touched him yet, but while leaving I thought I saw his tyres being deflated.

On my way, I was lost into thoughts. What would have happened if those guys hadn't seen the biker and blamed it on me? What if they had been the kind that hit you first and then talk? A normal safe driver in mumbai can land up with bruises through no fault of his. Is there really no end to this saga and no way to educate people about daily driving??
carzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 18:10   #2
BHPian

Yes there is a way. But the fruits of our labour are for our kids to enjoy. A very small begining can be we all at our home educate our kids, from now. So when they are of that age, they don't ride/drive rashly. I do beleive we all can change the current state of affairs, though it is going to take some time.
sumitkalindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 18:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Thumbs down

Well well this is like a deja vu for almost all the people using the road. There are so many people not only bikers who drive rashly and when someone tells them something about it they just want to get into a fight.

Well why dont people just get some sense in them? Well one breaks the rule and the rest just follow. Happy that the biker got his lesson as i feel he deserved it. Never get physical as there is no point in fighting.

Some of his mistakes were driving on the wrong side of the road and then swearing at a motorist and finally listening to music while on a bike. Well i do ride a bike and feel that riding without a helmet or with music on is just stupid as anything happens on the road the biker bears the brunt of it. Life is worth living so better try living it with all parts intact.

I have got tired advicing my friend to buy a good helmet, Fedup of telling my roomie not to ride on the right lane on his passion but well no one just cares. The reply is kuch nahin hota hai!! Makes me go
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 18:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Crazy happy for you so that you dint get into trouble, both by not crashing into that idiotic rider and aswel with those scorpio guys!

Agree, can never say if its a bad day. road rage is something one has to be careful about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

Some of his mistakes were driving on the wrong side of the road and then swearing at a motorist and finally listening to music while on a bike. Well i do ride a bike and feel that riding without a helmet or with music on is just stupid as anything happens on the road the biker bears the brunt of it. Life is worth living so better try living it with all parts intact.
OT

I knew a guy who lost his life, he was riding while listening to music... paid a heavy price...his life!

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th June 2008 at 23:03. Reason: Merged.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 21:16   #5
BHPian

@lohitrao, that's really sad. God bless his soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well well this is like a deja vu for almost all the people using the road. There are so many people not only bikers who drive rashly and when someone tells them something about it they just want to get into a fight.
Life is worth living so better try living it with all parts intact.
Can't agree more! There was an incident not many weeks ago about 6-7 drunken guys on Palm beach road driving a swift late night and they stopped another vehicle just because it "overtook" them. They thrashed the owner who happened to be a 50+ old man driving with his wife and kids. He couldn't really do anything as he was scared they might harm his family too. This old man could be anybody's dad, it could've happened with anyone on this forum. "Hot shots" who think they're covered by their family's contacts are more into rash driving and the rest are rowdy private cab drivers and downright senseless guys.
What's more is you can even get away without wearing a helmet coz there's someone out there selling "tickets" for 10 bucks a piece with an authentic stamp that you have already been fined once for the day.

When it's 5 against 1, you really can't do much. There's too much corruption, so no point in having any laws in place at all.
When I got my licence in the US (and this isn't about bragging), the written and road tests were quite thorough. The driver's handbook clearly mentions that you can't drive with earphones in both ears (it's against the law, I'm sure it's here too). The most important thing is that people are scared of breaking traffic rules (drunks excluded) and they don't want to be fined (really hefty fines for speeding, jumping a red light) coz there's really "no way around". You cannot give 10 dollars to the cop and call it a day, he'll probably arrest you.
When you're involved in an accident, people usually exchange their personal and insurance information and 911 is called in case of casualties. That's not possible here coz the traffic police many times turn a blind eye to the plight of the common man and the public "loves" coming to blows no matter who's at fault.
carzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 23:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Consider yourself lucky to almost all people.
Whenever such incidences occur in my City, its down to blows and then again you realize the culture of Indians.

And that too if the persons belong to different "*" then its nothing but communal riots.

I have seen this happen in front of my eyes while returning from my college MSU.

A gang of 200 comes up and gathers around a young couple who managed to touch the rickshaw that was driven apparently by drunk person. The couple were about to be manhandled and they were about to target me also as I was behind that couple and was about to overtake. Thankfully police and local people came to rescue and the matter was solved. But that couple got more than a few blows including lady.
They came near me and I was about to self defend my self with blows. I know its meaning less, but its my right.

This happened near S.T. Bus stand in Vadodara.

OT: What is the real matter is the worsening law and order situation in our country and as roads indicate the culture of the nation, what are we ?
I am really serious about this bad state and these rowdy people just can do anything under any pretext. It is really getting rough and worrysome.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 00:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Consider yourself lucky to almost all people.
Whenever such incidences occur in my City, its down to blows and then again you realize the culture of Indians.

And that too if the persons belong to different "*" then its nothing but communal riots.

I have seen this happen in front of my eyes while returning from my college MSU.

A gang of 200 comes up and gathers around a young couple who managed to touch the rickshaw that was driven apparently by drunk person. The couple were about to be manhandled and they were about to target me also as I was behind that couple and was about to overtake. Thankfully police and local people came to rescue and the matter was solved. But that couple got more than a few blows including lady.
They came near me and I was about to self defend my self with blows. I know its meaning less, but its my right.

This happened near S.T. Bus stand in Vadodara.

OT: What is the real matter is the worsening law and order situation in our country and as roads indicate the culture of the nation, what are we ?
I am really serious about this bad state and these rowdy people just can do anything under any pretext. It is really getting rough and worrysome.

It is just the reflection of a society.
It has always been like that, now its spilling on the roads as more and more get the empowerment to run havoc on roads.

What are we?
Tell me if i am wrong, but weren't we supposed to be the next super power?

a spiritual nation with 10000 years of culture.

It is really amazing what happens on our roads everyday.

I read this in the headlines of today's Hindustan Times, how people have literally fought with petrol pump staff in the mad rush to get their vehicles filled just so that they can beat the hike(so they thought).

A one time saving of 50 max 100 rupees standing in the queue for 3 - 4 hours. Then misbehaving with everyone.

Is this normal human behavior?
Abhijat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 01:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would like to share an incident with you'll which took place a few days ago.

I was driving in the left lane on a pretty crowded road at lower parel towards the phoenix mills' gate (when i mean crowded i mean that it is not possible to overtake and change lanes). An idiotic cabbie dropped his bhaada (passenger) and suddenly out of nowhere came in the right lane with a heavy foot on the pedal. I was cautious enough to brake hard and managed to stop and to my fortune the guy behind me was alert enough too.
Now is the best part. The cabbie too brakes damn hard thinking that i bumped him or something, blocks the road and does not give me way when i started honking. He then moves, i am going slow and give him a stare (if looks could kill types) and there he starts abusing!! I am barely 18 and would not wish to get into any verbal or physical fight with a 40+ year old as it would not be right on my part (though i had 1 of my friend with me with huge muscles who could thrash him in no time).
All the taxiwallas standing there did not know what had happened and gave me stares and muttered somethings which i did not like.
Now can anyone tell me what did i do? I was at around 40 and drove with the traffic till he came in front of me.
Finally my point is k why do people don't see behind and on the sides before taking off?? I think the RTO rules to hand over licenses should be a little more strict and lane discipline should play a major role in the tests. What say guys??
S2!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 10:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night me and a friend in 2 different cars drove from reclamation in to Chembur at 1 am. He took off while I drove sedately (the roads were wet)

He stops at my place and waits. When I drive up - he tells me " You have lost the knack of driving fast and zig zagging through traffic" - I tell him it's not worth doing that late at night when idiots rule the roads (which were wet)

Thank God he saw the point I was making and agreed to it.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 11:08   #10
rks
BANNED

Bikers in Pune city and on the Pune-Mumbai route are a real menace. Two recent incidents that come to mind:

1. Just completed a quick overtake of a van at ~70 kmph on the Katraj-Hadapsar road, and about to overtake a bike moving *slowly* (30-40 kmph) on the extrem left side of the road. Biker sees a side lane on the right and *suddenly* cuts to the right. I brake and swerve to left; my Santro nonchalantly takes the swerve in stride. Now the right side of my car is in line with the bker and I am counting on him to complete the turn and move out of my way. At this stage the biker sees my car and abruptly stops. I make one more adjustment to move further to the left and he completes the turn. Didn't miss him by much.

2. I am turning right into the ramp on the basement parking lot in my company in Pune. An idiot biker (probably some contract guy) was speeding behind me, coming from the wrong side diagonally from a lane to my right. He tries to make an overtake to my right just as I am making the turn. I see him in my rear-view mirror only as I am completing the turn, and he has a panicky face and is braking. He hits my rear right alloy, damaging the centre cap. The alloy that I had take such good care of for the past 30000 kms is now slightly scruffed up and scratched, but looks OK. I have to take the car for balancing/alignment again, which I had just done. The idiot biker says "sorry" and shows skid marks, saying he braked, but the bike skidded. And then rushes off before I could pin him down.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 20:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhijat View Post
It is just the reflection of a society.
It has always been like that, now its spilling on the roads as more and more get the empowerment to run havoc on roads.

What are we?
Tell me if i am wrong, but weren't we supposed to be the next super power?

a spiritual nation with 10000 years of culture.

It is really amazing what happens on our roads everyday.

I read this in the headlines of today's Hindustan Times, how people have literally fought with petrol pump staff in the mad rush to get their vehicles filled just so that they can beat the hike(so they thought).

A one time saving of 50 max 100 rupees standing in the queue for 3 - 4 hours. Then misbehaving with everyone.

Is this normal human behavior?
No it is not. And it is the main trouble. Many of the people dont even have the sense to talk with respect. Today after finishing my 3rd exam, I was returning home. Three guys on Eterno started screaming at anyone who came in front of them. I was now next. I didnt have space to move fast. I let them go, but as they did with everyone, they scream at me aslo. I thought its worth picking up a fight, but then eventually they will learn after some arrogant car driver drives over them!

This issue is getting much more serious than we think. One day it looks like the disciplined drivers/riders will be using public transport.

The overall culture of India is not good as what can be seen from behaviour of people.
It worries me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I would like to share an incident with you'll which took place a few days ago.

Now is the best part. The cabbie too brakes damn hard thinking that i bumped him or something, blocks the road and does not give me way when i started honking. He then moves, i am going slow and give him a stare (if looks could kill types) and there he starts abusing!! I am barely 18 and would not wish to get into any verbal or physical fight with a 40+ year old as it would not be right on my part (though i had 1 of my friend with me with huge muscles who could thrash him in no time).
All the taxiwallas standing there did not know what had happened and gave me stares and muttered somethings which i did not like.
Now can anyone tell me what did i do? I was at around 40 and drove with the traffic till he came in front of me.
Finally my point is k why do people don't see behind and on the sides before taking off?? I think the RTO rules to hand over licenses should be a little more strict and lane discipline should play a major role in the tests. What say guys??
First of all, dont underestimate anyone. My friend did this and was hurt. Having muscles wont always let you win and using power this way is not good for anyone. RTO is like GOI, which will never improve. We have to live with this. What all we can do is be disciplined and cool headed.
I think that you are barely 18 and you have passed RTO test and have liscence. But then think again, when you like me and many others were learning how to drive, someone ( read some of the other road users ) also had patience to let you do so. There might be better drivers than you and me and to them you and me are on wrong side !

Here there might be someone's fault, but we are not supposed to lose our moral of thinking. These guys just want you to get down to their own level and if you fall, well, its nothing but their victory.
They might lose battle, but then they won war!

I hope that my point is clear !

PS: The above post is my opinion and not intended to hurt anyone.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 9th June 2008 at 20:05.
Old 9th June 2008, 20:18   #12
BANNED

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...bc-report.html
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 23:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

[/qoute]First of all, dont underestimate anyone. My friend did this and was hurt. Having muscles wont always let you win and using power this way is not good for anyone. RTO is like GOI, which will never improve. We have to live with this. What all we can do is be disciplined and cool headed.
I think that you are barely 18 and you have passed RTO test and have liscence. But then think again, when you like me and many others were learning how to drive, someone ( read some of the other road users ) also had patience to let you do so. There might be better drivers than you and me and to them you and me are on wrong side !

Here there might be someone's fault, but we are not supposed to lose our moral of thinking. These guys just want you to get down to their own level and if you fall, well, its nothing but their victory.
They might lose battle, but then they won war!

I hope that my point is clear !

PS: The above post is my opinion and not intended to hurt anyone.[/quote]

I absolutely understand with what you are saying and since i have got my license a few months ago i do drive a little cautiously. And when i meant about the big muscles and thrash him down thing i did not mean anything but thought of adding a little humour cause in reality evn i know getting into fights like a junglee is unethical and something very useless.

See since the topic to the thread was road literacy, crazy lane changing comes under the topic and thats why i shared the experience as it was fresh in my head and ofcourse had i thought it was my fault i never would have brought the topic out.

I would understand had a learner done something like this but since it came from a cabbie that is frustrating as they are very notorious in giving cuts and stuff.
Anyways Drive Safe!!
S2!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 22:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzy View Post
By the time I was ready to leave I saw all 3 guys talking to the biker who had now literally joined his hands and was saying sorry and crying. Nobody had touched him yet, but while leaving I thought I saw his tyres being deflated.

On my way, I was lost into thoughts. What would have happened if those guys hadn't seen the biker and blamed it on me? What if they had been the kind that hit you first and then talk? A normal safe driver in mumbai can land up with bruises through no fault of his. Is there really no end to this saga and no way to educate people about daily driving??
Again those guys deflating the tyres is equally bad. They could have been more disciplined. They were no one to deflate the tyres. It proves that they dont have the right attitude.
Old 15th June 2008, 13:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Again those guys deflating the tyres is equally bad. They could have been more disciplined. They were no one to deflate the tyres. It proves that they dont have the right attitude.
Actually they did the right thing, If I had been there I would have driven the Scorpio over the bike.
teknophobia is offline   Reply With Quote