Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 13th June 2008, 18:59   #1
BHPian

Angry Stupid RTC bus stops in the middle lane scrapes my Xeta :(

I wanted to write about this from a long time about the State Run Public Transport buses stopping in the middle lanes abruptly and the useless autos and other private taxis, tempo travelers and others exception to the new age cabs occupying the bus bays.

Today i was at Balam Rai center, Begumpet going towards Bowenpally and at the Bus Stop, i was in the right lane in about 20Kmph and in front of me in the middle lane the APSRTC local bus was going about 15 to 20Kmph and all of a sudden the bus made a halt with a minor turn to the left (assuming it was to stop at the bus bay) and the rear end of the bus all of a sudden got pushed into a bit to the right lane and there was no space for me to move to the right and i got my Xeta scraped with a thud sound and when i checked, the front left fender was a bit shaken and a big stretch of paint was gone from the fender on left side to the rear door and rear fender / bumper and left indicator (not the one in headlamp cluster) has also come out a bit.

Took it to AUTOFIN, Bowenpally and one gave a rough estimate that it may cost upto 10K for the work to be done (Front Fender replacement, denting work, painting up the door and handles and the rear fender and a new cover for the rear tail lamp cluster and repainting the bumpers - both front and rear) and told me to go for claim and i have registered a claim and will be expecting the ICICI Lombard surveyor tomorrow and day after tomorrow being sunday i will not be having my xeta back no sooner than Tuesday

Hope to get it back with all done to perfection again.

Being a busy morning, i could not make a note of the bus details and also i am sure even if i had the details, there would be nothing i can do with that. Thanks to Indian Law and Police and the RTC Unions.

I usually follow Tire and Tarmac rule and today was following it as well but never expected this from the RTC bus driver. I am not aware of why the hell he stopped in the middle lane itself. Whether its the passengers occupying the bus bay or some other crappy autos or other dwellers.

Moral of the Story : Be extra careful when nearing Buses, Trucks and other HCVs even if they are in a different lane from what you are in.

Last edited by TrueDreamer : 13th June 2008 at 19:00.
TrueDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 21:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear that
Its a problem increasing in every place

How about some pictures of the bang
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 21:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

@Truedreamer - There is no lane concept for 99% of the drivers. This was to be expected. Never follow a bus too close, if you dont have space/time for evasive action.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 21:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

This happens in every city. The RTC bus drivers think the roads are their own and drive as per their whims and fancies. Even in Bangalore though they have bus bays to stop, they will not stop there. Either they will stop in the middle of the road or after the bus bays. If there are multiple buses wanting to stop at the same bus stop, then god help us they will occupy the whole road thinking that it is the bus stop.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 22:02   #5
BHPian

Haven't taken any pictures of that accident yet. Will do it tomorrow when the surveyor comes to take his snaps.
Old 14th June 2008, 11:11   #6
BHPian

Sorry to hear this. RTC buses stopping in the middle of the road and generally breaking all rules is very common in Hyderabad. As you said, one needs to be extra careful when close to these buses as those bus drivers don't give a damn for their own or others' vehicles. Frankly speaking, the traffic situation in Hyd can only get worse by the day if the Traffic Police don't start becoming strict. Right now, the situation is abysmal.
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 14:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

While driving, if any RTC bus is behind me and at the side of me it certainly gives me cramps as we definately will not know which way the drivers will be driving and when they will stop. This is pathetic.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 14:42   #8
BHPian

Reminds me of incidents involving a KSRTC bus ramming into the rear view mirror and another one in which the bus rams my Indigo, from the behind !! It surely gives me the creeps especially when the state run and private buses are taken into account :(
ipkonfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 19:11   #9
BHPian

Very unfortunate, but its becoming commonplace in most cities nowadays.

These bus drivers have the habit of stopping in the middle of the road to take passengers. I nearly ran into the back of one ST bus last week when he braked abruptly. one must be extra careful with these morons on the road.
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 20:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about it dude..

Offlate have noticed that the "public" transport no matter its govt owned or private they both behave the same...they follow lane only in bus bays... yea they just stop in the same lane in which they are traveling....In bangalore you can witness this very often in Airport road, Hosur road, Old Madras road...and more
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 22:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your incident.

They are not the only one. They come into picture because they are large vehicles and cause huge disturbance.
There are car drives who behave this way are more irritating.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 22:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to know about your mishap, TrueDreamer. I have always learnt to take abundant precaution with those nitwit bus drivers. I am surprised that even though you follow the tyre and tarmac principle, you still ended up scraping the bus. Keep a safe distance henceforth.
There are many cases when an RTC bus overtook me, swerved sharply to the left and stopped at a bus stop. I wonder why that nitwit driver could not have slowed down and followed my car, instead of jeapordising my peace of mind.
On some occasions however, the bus bays are occupied by their country cousins: the autos, forcing them to stop bang in the centre of the road.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 23:43   #13
BHPian

Update from Insurance People: Surveyor took the snaps and work is expected to start on Monday. Hope it comes back like all new.

Saw another Palio in similar state at Autofin. Came to know it was hit by a Seven Seater :(

Last edited by TrueDreamer : 14th June 2008 at 23:46.
Old 20th June 2008, 16:23   #14
BHPian

Ok i got my Xeta back and had to shell out some 1.5K and Insurance paid up another 7.5K all due to the lack of lane discipline by the RTC driver. Anyways, the less we speak about these morons the more better it is