Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 6th August 2008, 15:12   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Honking is considered a highly impolite activity in the developed world. Which is why probably the first thing that hits you when you land in India after a trip, is the noise level which is like a slap in the face

But here I have seen people complaining as to why the driver/rider did not honk. They dont want to accept their jay walking/morornic tendencies, but blame the guy on/in the vehicle all the time.

Have fitted a Power horn as per advice on a thread elsewhere in team-bhp and use it only on highways to catch attention of people crossing/loitering and not scare them.

And by the way weekly twice I drive through Mandya
Bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 15:13   #137
Senior - BHPian

This is not an isolated menace - i have seen all sorts of vehicles honking even when there is NO traffic. Or maybe it is anticipatory driving, what with the likelihood of a person or animal or vehicle jumping in front of us without any warning being pretty high in our roads!!!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 15:25   #138

Default Please post replies on the main blog

hi guys (& ladies),thank you for your enthusiatic response.. It will serve a more common cause if these responses are posted on the main blog page as "non-members" will also get to read and blog.Here's the link again : http://stophonk.blogspot.com/ThanksVijay
vijayalphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 15:29   #139
Team-BHP Support

My bikes horn had died. I decided that its not really very important and continued riding without it for almost a year.
Then one fine day riding at less than 30 kmph in my fifth gear, climbing an incline I found a motorcycle blocking my way. He just did not move. One thing led to another and I finally dumped my bike to avoid crashing into him.

That weekend my bike got itself a pair of Roots Vibrosonics.

Its usually a very short beep beep.

BUT when the person in front of me is using a mobile phone and driving slow for some unexplained reason my finger gets stuck on the horn button.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 15:30   #140

Please post your responses on http://stophonk.blogspot.com/More people will get to read it that way. Thanks
vijayalphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 15:34   #141
BHPian

For those HONKERS, i have an idea. Why not fix the horn button on the driver's seat? That way, as soon as the moron takes his throne, he is already honking and ready to move....and he can concetrate on other extra-trafficular activities.

Torqy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 15:39   #142
Senior - BHPian

Well, there's many kinds of honks - and some can be pardoned. "I-have-a-bigger-SUV-get-out-of-my-way-you-little-thing" is the most annoying one
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 16:01   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayalphonse View Post
hi guys (& ladies),thank you for your enthusiatic response.. It will serve a more common cause if these responses are posted on the main blog page as "non-members" will also get to read and blog. Here's the link again : STOP Honking Bangalore
Guys, Vijay Alponse had written this blog!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 16:14   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Guys, Vijay Alphonse had written this blog!
That explains his strange blog-moniker of Vial.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 16:15   #145
Senior - BHPian

Well I am not supporting Honking but somebody well said:

Horn is one of the essential security equipment for drivers in India. Even important than ABS/EBD and Airbags

In most of the case if horn fails then ABS/EBD would have to work for safety. For example on highway if you are honking to a bullock cart and if he gives you side then it is ok (you are safe in most of the cases) otherwise you have to do sudden braking then ABS/EBD, Airbags will be required. If there is no horn then each time ABS/EBS Airbags will be required. (No Offence)

But people are using more than required.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 17:28   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

And when its unnecessary

for example, to get the gate opened(in flats) too lazy to get out of the car and open the gate...
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 13:45   #147
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Well, I have been riding my RX100 for the past 16 months without the horn. Simply because, I couldnt find 6V battery and horn for it. But, its a real pain, not having a horn. There is simply no other way of shooing away pedestrians at Cyber Towers 'U' turn. A horn is an absolute must!

P.S: I got 6V battery few weeks back and 6v horn last week. Today I will get the horn fixed.
NitinGirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 11:59   #148
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Unsolicited Update

Got the horn installed. It is working fine. I am loving it
NitinGirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 14:45   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Well I am not supporting Honking but somebody well said:

Horn is one of the essential security equipment for drivers in India. Even important than ABS/EBD and Airbags

In most of the case if horn fails then ABS/EBD would have to work for safety. For example on highway if you are honking to a bullock cart and if he gives you side then it is ok (you are safe in most of the cases) otherwise you have to do sudden braking then ABS/EBD, Airbags will be required. If there is no horn then each time ABS/EBS Airbags will be required. (No Offence)

I second this thought. Lots of times on blind turns horn has saved my /others from having an accident. Worth every penny spent on this vital equipment of the car.IMO you must have horns - Loud horns. Most times you use it to warn people sometime to wake people .
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 16:27   #150
Senior - BHPian

Default Honking menace-how to deal with this ?

Maddening honking has become a common thing in our cities nowadays.

How does one react to it ?

I have heard the following varieties of honking behind me

1. The nerve racking, never ending "pip pip pip pip pip pip" (jack hammer effect).

2. A long "Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" (the railway train variety, used by cabs, mainly)

3. A short, polite, decent jab, more like a request (once in a minute, perhaps). This is bearable, at least.

4. Musical chime types

5. A complete chorus, like a cacophonic symphony, when I am just about to take off from the block, at a signal.

I try my best to ignore this. But at times, it can be really exasperating.

How do you deal with this, while being sane at the same time ?

Useful tips would be appreciated
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote