Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 5th March 2015, 12:01   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default re: No horn please! (Honking Menace)

I dislike honking. Here in Dubai, very few drivers honk. It is not like UK where honking is considered as an insult, you do get the occasional honks in UAE when people merge without looking, change lanes without indicating, etc.

I get supremely irritated at round abouts, where mine is the first car in the line. Theoretically, you are not supposed to enter the round about if there is a vehicle coming from left and is already in the RA. Practically, drivers just judge the speed of the cars in the RA and make their move. Most taxis are too impatient to wait and keep honking. Some day, I might just get out and blast at them.

There is another thread on road rage confessions, I might make an entry there soon!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 12:02   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
If the auto designers are reading this, I would also like a a train type horn focused on rear traffic. When someone honks incessantly behind you just cough on your train horn.
Reminds me of the scene in the movie The Mask wherein Jim Carrey is walking on the road and a car driver honks behind him. Jim pulls out a small horn from his pocket and gently presses it. The sound produced is so loud that it blows away everything in it's path !!

Seriously speaking, honking almost never produces results. On the other hand, I have observed that if I just honk once behind a truck/bus to give him notice of my presence and wait patiently for the truck/bus to give me space to overtake, then 9 times out of 10 they move once the road ahead clears up and wave me on. I take this as appreciation for me not sitting on the horn and in turn upsetting their concentration and focus.

This is not to say that I tailgate till I get space, I honk once and wait keeping a safe distance.

Last edited by luvDriving : 5th March 2015 at 12:04. Reason: small grammatical correction
luvDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 18:20   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Reminds me of the scene in the movie The Mask wherein Jim Carrey is walking on the road and a car driver honks behind him. Jim pulls out a small horn from his pocket and gently presses it. The sound produced is so loud that it blows away everything in it's path !!

Seriously speaking, honking almost never produces results. On the other hand, I have observed that if I just honk once behind a truck/bus to give him notice of my presence and wait patiently for the truck/bus to give me space to overtake, then 9 times out of 10 they move once the road ahead clears up and wave me on. I take this as appreciation for me not sitting on the horn and in turn upsetting their concentration and focus.

This is not to say that I tailgate till I get space, I honk once and wait keeping a safe distance.
+1 for that! I follow almost the same and feel good about that. Just one small honk to get the attention of the Heavy Vehicle and in most of the cases, they move to the left so that I can safely overtake. If ahead is not clear due to some other cause, some of them will even indicate by hand to slow down and I wait patiently. A second honk is not at all warranted in this case.
Not allowing others to overtake is mainly exhibited by taxi cabs, autos and slower vehicles who stay put in the Right lane of a Highway. After the initial one single honk, a series of 3 small honks are given and if they don't budge, simply overtake through the left lane after giving adequate notice of your intention by the indicators and look for your own safety ahead.
philgrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:57   #229
BHPian

My Horn was not working for a couple of days and I realized that I was stressed less while driving, Since I did not had a horn, I had to take extra care and give way to all irritating Auto/Bikes even Cycles at an instance.

For once, if we remove horns from all vehicles, It would become so peaceful to drive, as everyone will watch for the incoming vehicle and all his sides before entering/switching lanes, Drivers will be more watchful by own , as there won’t be any horn to hoot the other vehicle. Noise pollution would take a hit and roads will be so peaceful.

Rarest are the occasions when honking is genuinely required.

Last edited by ashishmathur14 : 22nd June 2015 at 17:00. Reason: Grammer & Sentence formation
ashishmathur14 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:10   #230
BHPian

Default Re: No horn please! (Honking Menace)

Trivia time -
Q- Name the thing / instrument that makes your vehicle go forward while driving.
Options are:
a. Engine of your car
b. Wheels of your car
c. Fuel in your car
d. Honking from the car behind you

I am sure all of you got the answer right. option d.

No wonder foreigners prefer to be driven around.
Accent Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 10:42   #231
Senior - BHPian

In Mumbai, a FM channel, RED 93.5, started a campaign about a week or two ago and from what we hear on radio, there seems to be positive response to the campaign.
I love their TAGLINE:
Name:  11352020_1462393127386597_1262356877_n.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  16.9 KB

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 11:17   #232
Senior - BHPian

Until the government tightens up driving tests along with roads that are designed to cut down honking there is only one way to make people reduce honking.

Cars should be designed to use fuel every time the horn is pressed. A indicator in the dash can show how many drops of fuel are used when honking is resorted to. We will all see a overnight reduction in honking thanks to our 'kitna deti hain' obsessed mindset .
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 19:28   #233
BHPian

Saw this today, nice to see some change unlike the usual OK HORN Please
Attached Thumbnails
No horn please! (Honking Menace)-horn.jpg  

aerohit is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 16:55   #234
BHPian

Apparently I'm not the only one who dislikes honking or being honked at on the roads!

And on a side note, this is why I love free-days at work - I get time to read through TBHP forums and go through some amazing deeds of some amazing TBHPians! I went through the entire 16-odd pages of this thread, and was smiling for the last 3 hours reading all of them!

OK so back to the topic. I live in Bengaluru - have been living here for over a decade now. Been driving on the roads here since 2007, and I am one of those TBHPians who dislikes honking (like I said before). My driving style in the city (or with my family) can be described as sedate - I don't do over 60-70 kmph in the city (whenever the conditions allow that of course -or if the speed limit is 80 kmph like the elevated expressway to the airport for example), I try to stick to lane discipline as much as I can and I try to use the horn as little as possible, mostly in can't-do-without-honking kind of situations (like the front vehicle rolling back towards you kind of a situation). So many of the forum members described the traffic scenario - honking from behind especially. I guess we have all been in that situation.

I have always thought of a solution on the lines similar to the ones described below by fellow BHPian:
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Better still - if you honk like a machine gun - there should be a mechanism that shuts your horn off after the 2nd beep for 30 minutes.

If you honk like a railway train - you can't honk for 2 hours.

If you honk incessantly, the horn goes blank and you cannot honk for the next 24 hours.
Not exactly the same, but similar. My thoughts have been to put a limit on the number of minutes that a vehicle gets to use the horn in a given 24 hours. Depending on various factors of course - like type of vehicle, geography, etc. Maybe limit it to 5 minutes/day for private vehicles in urban areas, or increas it to 10 minutes/day for vehicles in hilly areas, for example. The idea is to make horn a precious resource for vehicles, so as to curb its overenthusiastic overuse, or misuse as some would say. The implementation is a distant thought, of course - it would need to be accepted and progressed by the manufacturers in conjunction with the regional RTO's I guess - but just an idea I thought of sharing with the forum.

Also as some members have suggested, is it possible to make the honk-when-needed a TBHP-wide movement? Maybe some stickers, perhaps? Reason for saying is "they" who we point to on the roads, are amongst us for I have, sadly, seen many vehicles on Bengaluru roads sporting TBHP stickers, yet driving like reckless BMTC/auto-wallas (excessive honking, instantaneous lane-changing without indicating, over-speeding, creating a new "lane" out of nowhere, etc). Like they say, charity begins at home. So does awareness I guess.
arch_hornet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 17:22   #235
Senior - BHPian

I don't like to honk... Period. So much so that my 4 year old asks me if the horn in the car/scooter works at all. It sure does work, but I probably honk ONLY in dire needs. No long honks, no short.. just a small peck on the horn pad. All this started about a year back, when while stuck in a traffic jam, I saw so many people trying to get out of the Jam by Honking.. I mean seriously??? I asked myself if I can drive without honking for a day, a week a month and so on. Then I began to count the number of times I honk which was anyways less and it slowly started to be 1 or 2 times a day and it remains same now.

Of course it does change on highways.

My thought is that a horn should be minimum 10-15k to buy and should have a limited life span. Then we can see how many people will really go crazy honking.
dass is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 12:23   #236
BHPian

On the topic of honking, while coming to work today, there was a traffic jam as usual on Sinhagad road near Rajaram bridge. I was in the middle lane, at least I think I was because the three lanes had become 6-7 lanes and the only thing you can do is to move ahead slowly, one foot at a time.

So there is this gentleman in a swift dzire behind me honking away with those loud aftermarket horns because he wanted me to maybe stick my car to the vehicle ahead and gain a few precious millimeters !

After some time I had enough and I slowed down my car even further, almost to a stop (it was not noticeable to other riders i think in the morning chaos) and a hard stare in the ORVM. The honking stopped after that gesture from me. No words spoken, no finger waving, no rude gestures. Later I saw that it was a nicely dressed elderly gentleman with family, looked like they were headed for a marriage or a function.

Last edited by luvDriving : 14th January 2016 at 12:25. Reason: Spelling and grammar.
luvDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 12:38   #237
BHPian

Even I dislike using the horn. It is far worse when someone honks at you from behind, specially on a speed breaker or at a traffic signal. Many times, I have seen people assume that the car in front will also negotiate the speed breaker in 2nd-3rd (like they do) and get emotionally upset if someone wants to go over slowly in 1st. It is quite annoying and irritating. SUV users do this the most here in NCR.

How does one get the attention of autos though. They usually cut and slice as they wish without minding (read: looking in the rear mirrors) lanes. Many times, one has to give a loud press to tell them "you are messing up -- and hold your line". I see no other way. Or at 90 degree right turns, they will try to squeeze in for the straight line going down, irrespective that another vehicle is negotiating a tight bend. Weird.
asingh1977 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 20:54   #238
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to incorporate a tamper proof electronic chip in each vehicle, which records the duration of honking per annum ? The Honking charges / Noise pollution charges can be added to the insurance premium, so results guaranteed

I feel it's worth a serious thought.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 22:37   #239
Senior - BHPian

With ever increasing traffic, and ever rising impatience among our fellow Indians, this is one of the most annoying side effects. It irritates me, especially when I am walking on the road - because there is no aural protection - no insulated cabin, no helmet either.

We should somehow make our lesser knowledgeable Indians aware, that honking has become so common in India, that it adds no real value. People no longer feel it is something abnormal, or something that they need to respond to!

To do my bit, I give my 2 cents whenever I am being ferried by a taxi driver who honks excessively, but I am pretty sure those are as good as throwing 2 cents down the gutter.
aravind.anand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:26   #240
BHPian

As Aravind said, this menace comes down to impatience and lack of empathy. Of late, even if i slow down to negotiate a pothole or to allow a person to take a turn or heck stop at a zebra crossing, the first response of the person behind is to honk. How dare i waste a few seconds of his time!

This coupled with endless flashing just gets on the nerves at times. But i just end up turning up the volume on my stereo and flipping the rear view mirror to avoid the glare.

After spending a week in London, it's taking time to get back to the Indian way of driving and road behavior.
deathwalkr is online now   Reply With Quote