Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2008, 17:21   #1
BHPian
 
diwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 271
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Another case of Drunken driving - ECR

CEO of Tata Precision Services, his wife and younger son and the car driver got killed and lone survivor is his eldest son in an accident on East Coast Road. They got hit head on by a car driven by a drunken driver. The ECR of late has become more and more dangerous.

A family is lost because of some drunkard. May the souls RIP.

Source:
Fatal Chennai vacation for family-Chennai-Cities-The Times of India

The pictures of the accident was aired in Sun News, the family was traveling in an Indica and they where rammed by a Innova.

Last edited by diwa : 19th June 2008 at 17:28.
diwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 17:45   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,710
Thanked: 1,079 Times
Default

Quote:
At present in police custody, Sivaguru is now anxious about his future. “He was so drunk last night that he didn’t realise what happened. But after coming back to senses, he became worried about what’s going to happen to him,” a police official said.
Now where's the death penalty when you need it...
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 17:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Now where's the death penalty when you need it...
This guy (the driver Sivaguru) should be made to attend the funerals of the people whose deaths he has caused, and should see the amount of pain and sense of loss for which he is directly responsible.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:14   #4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

I think he will attend the funeral, enjoy the feast on 11th day and happily gulp down few bottles on that night itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
This guy (the driver Sivaguru) should be made to attend the funerals of the people whose deaths he has caused, and should see the amount of pain and sense of loss for which he is directly responsible.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:15   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,487
Thanked: 1,172 Times
Default

This is really sad... sure there has to be strict penalty for drunken driving apart from hefty financial fines. The guy needs to be hanged for sure... he has destroyed a happy family.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:19   #6
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

It was an accident ! Even he could have been killed. But he survived. No way he would have know there was a happy family in other car - you don't judge who is inside the other car and then hit the car.

IMO, he must have cared for his safety (after drinking) and not driven at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The guy needs to be hanged for sure... he has destroyed a happy family.

Last edited by diabloo : 19th June 2008 at 18:31.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:26   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 32
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Sad incident. I had come across another piece of news two days earlier, in which a housewife in a maruti omni created havoc in Trivandrum. She was drunk and fell into a road-side ditch with the vehicle, when people went to help her out, she sorted to calling callous words !! Luckily nothing happened to her.
ipkonfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:29   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
This is really sad... sure there has to be strict penalty for drunken driving apart from hefty financial fines. The guy needs to be hanged for sure... he has destroyed a happy family.
in a civilized society, I would say he should have to live thru the pain, and repent by serving others.

unfortunately, I don't think he is civilized enough to do it, and only saudi style punishments can act as a deterrent to others. in this part of the globe, conscience and humanity don't matter at all now.

the thought of a lost family for no fault of theirs and pain of the lone survivor is too disturbing.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:34   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,487
Thanked: 1,172 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
It was an accident ! Even he could have been killed. But he survived. No way he would have know there was a happy family in other car - you don't judge who is inside the other car and then hit the car.

IMO, he must have cared for his safety (after drinking) and not driven at all.
An accident which could and should have been avoided. Doesnt matter who was killed, which in this case was a happy family.
Keep this silly discussion for another thread, not here please.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 19th June 2008 at 18:35.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:37   #10
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

In civilized society yes. Even we are a civilized society too - for more than 3000 odd years.

The issue is driver feels it was not his fault - he has driven many times in that condition and it happened that day. So its that day, that time is the fault. Now that day, that time has passed, nothing changes.

If he is a rational individual, he will ask this question: Could he have altered the result at that day, that time?

I am analyzing the situations & thinking that led to this accident.

What do you want to do? Take a club and whack him? Or let Govt do it in the name of death penalty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Keep this silly discussion for another thread, not here please.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th June 2008 at 20:59. Reason: Posts merged. Please use Edit.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:38   #11
BHPian
 
devnull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 142
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
in a civilized society, I would say he should have to live thru the pain, and repent by serving others.

unfortunately, I don't think he is civilized enough to do it, and only saudi style punishments can act as a deterrent to others. in this part of the globe, conscience and humanity don't matter at all now.
Well said. These kind of people should be stoned to death. The country can do without creatures like these. But whatever happens to this driver, what can compensate the affected family? Nothing. God bless them and give them the strength.
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:45   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 41
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

ECR is becoming a nightmare. When I went to Cuddalore via ECR last week, I've witnessed a couple of accidents; one involving two cars and another involving a car and a bike. Luckily there were no casualities. While returning I took the Tindivanam route - ECR is no longer a driver's delight.
shenbag63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:46   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Just watched this news, the best part is this:

Quote:
At present in police custody, Sivaguru is now anxious about his future. “He was so drunk last night that he didn’t realise what happened. But after coming back to senses, he became worried about what’s going to happen to him,” a police official said.
Driver should be given life term with no licence to drive in his life(even if he gets out).
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:46   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,487
Thanked: 1,172 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
In civilized society yes. Even we are a civilized society too - for more than 3000 odd years.
3000 years alone dont make a civilized society. I have numerous examples to show how civilized we are but I will leave it for someother time and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
The issue is driver feels it was not his fault - he has driven many times in that condition and it happened that day. So its that day, that time is the fault. Now that day, that time has passed, nothing changes.
Will you challenge the luck for others on the road and for yourself, everyday. It doesnt matter if he hurt himself or other on the road, he committed a mistake which took such huge proportions, knowingly. Isnt that nice.... I got a fully loaded gun in my hand, I play with it and kill someone knowing how dangerous the gun is and its that day anf time's fault. Brilliant... thanks for you enlightening point of view, which if taken seriously would result in no crimes and no criminals simply because the day and time will be at fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
If he is a rational individual, he will ask this question: Could he have altered the result at that day, that time?
Yes, by not driving drunk that day.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:48   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
In civilized society yes. Even we are a civilized society too - for more than 3000 odd years.
do you realize that time is not a lone factor in deciding how civilized a society is? do you realize that Gandhi who got our nation freedom would be killed the next day in today's india by mafia or politicians if he tried to do "persistence to truth".

you are in for a surprise if you think with time we are always progressing towards a better civilization.

you are trying to portray this as an isolated incident, but look thru TBHP pages and you will realise people have not leernt from hundreds of such incidents. how much longer can we continue to be the victims of such maniac behaviour?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Views on Drunken Driving rahulmd Street Experiences 71 23rd June 2015 22:51
Drunken Driving: Speeding Santro kills 2 kids DCEite Shifting gears 23 19th June 2007 19:23
Another Drunken Driving Accident blueraven316 Street Experiences 11 3rd December 2006 18:52
Another case of drunken driving..6 killed w 12 Street Experiences 57 16th November 2006 09:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks