Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 1st July 2008, 08:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default The fuel shortage

yesterday morning when i was driving to work, i heard it on the radio - that there is some truck strike on the anvil, and there is a fuel shortage...cursed my luck as i thought i would fill fuel in the morning. Anywyas, by the time i left office, it was about 1230am, and most of the pumps had these long queues outside. cursed even more.

i stopped at a pump and asked the guard if petrol is availabe ( there was a sign outside saying " diesel out of stock") he said no - come at 530 in the morning- and you can fill fuel.

anywyas- to cut a long story short- after haggling with my wife (on the time i have to get back home by) i took my cycle and cycled to office today, 14kms - took me less time than i would take by car- that was possible by some footpath driving and cutting through traffic [ giving back to society what society giveth unto me ] .

as of now it feels nice, good excercise and it was fun to see the cars and trucks lining up for fuel and you not worrying at all...
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 09:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Like a topic said before. a good way to avoid fuel price hike : cycling.
Are you able to get petrol now or is the story the same? I mean did you try again today.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 09:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the positive side of things, is it Madan!

Saw this in the news yesterday evening - all pumps in Chennai not having ordinary fuel and also about the truckers strike today.

Where is this fuel crisis heading to!!!???
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 09:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

well - all the pumps i cycled past either had long queues or were closed. i heard that they were rationing out fuel - no more than Rs500 per vehicle
Old 1st July 2008, 09:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Default Fuel rationing and other crazy stuff

The situation is absolutely crazy : yesterday night when returning home , there was a traffic jam near Vadapalani IRR, and it took more than 30mins to travel from Ashok Pillar to Vadapalani signal.

After reaching the Vadapalani signal, the traffic (now along Arcot road) was even now at standstill; hence I decided to walk home, since it wasn't too far from that spot. I was wondering what the reason could be for the unusal traffic jam (the normal traffic jam, it takes 10-15 mins to cross this point). There were two cinema theatres on the way, both running Kamal's "Dasavatharam", so I thought maybe the evening show had just finished, and everyone was exiting the theatres, so maybe the traffice jam was due to this.

BUT, no this was not the case, as I soon found out . There was a big queue of vehicles outside the Shell fuel station opposite the Vadapalani bus stand; in addition there were vehicles trying to enter the bunk from the opposite side, as a result of which the entire traffic on the Vadapalani-Porur side of the road was blocked. When I was walking across this point, the traffic police had just reached the place, and were trying to set things right. My bus would have taken atleast another 15 mins to cross this point, I think.

I saw many fuel stations closed, many more having long queues outside, and some even had police personnel present to manage the queues . What is happening here??? The public are being made to suffer due to the bickerings between the oil companies and truck lobby and "other-such-wasteful-groups". Where is Anniyan when we need him ???!!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is not appropriate for use on Team-BHP. We request you to adhere to a decent communication protocol and avoid the use of abusive words. Our varied audience appreciates a "clean" community.

Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd July 2008 at 01:50. Reason: Expletive removed.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 10:04   #6
BHPian

today morning... all petrol bunks seem to have policemen to avoid any trouble... long long queues... with the threat of lorry strike looming... its even more worrisome.
bharanidharang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 10:13   #7
BHPian

I went to more than 5-6 petrol bunk to fuel but was not lucky. One of my Uncle said that there was a bumk on my way who is giving petrol for Rs100/- per two wheelers. I went to my friends place kept my two-wheeler there and went along with him to office. really a bad day
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 10:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Is this everywhere or only in Chennai? Its pouring cats and dogs here in Mumbai and one cannot see anything on the road...
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 10:28   #9
BHPian

this is only in chennai and its suburbs..
Old 1st July 2008, 10:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Is there something special about Chennai or is it going to spread to other cities too ?
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 10:46   #11
BHPian

no idea... it looks like an artificially created situation... but who knows
Old 1st July 2008, 10:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

dunno - i found this strange as well. personally- i just think its mass hysteria.

firslty- there is a shortage of only diesel- that seems to have rippled into a "fuel crisis" type scene here. I heard that there are many pumps where police had to be positioned.

Is it not happening any where else?
Old 1st July 2008, 10:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Finally its arrived. Is it same story for branded petrol too?
I am afraid that this will slowly become a standard and ONLY branded will be available in metros. Guys, days are not far...
With all these and many more issues, center is more keen on getting the nuclear deal signed. Mr. PM you have more issues to be sorted than those. Is any one from PMO reading?
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 10:55   #14
BHPian

I was told that it all began with BPCL having some logistics problem because of which supplies at BPCL bunks were running short, this coupled with lorry strike has created rumors about short supply has had a cascading effect resulting in the current situation.
tifosikrishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 10:58   #15
BHPian

local and central govts. should have intervened and sorted out the problem. they are keeping quiet for reasons known to them.