Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th December 2008, 10:29   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
When there was only 30-40mtrs gap these kids took a right turn and they are at the center on the road. Swear on God , I have seen stars in my eyes :O Didn't even bothered to look into the RVM to check anyone following me, just stood on the break pedal.

Just two feets to them, my magnum stopped with a loud screech.
HCP, good of you mate. Don't even want to imagine what would have happened otherwise (shudder).

But there are ways to avoid such potentially horrifying scenes. One simple thing to do is give off a couple of warning beeps whenever you see an OLTJIYDP (Object Likely To Jump In Your Driving Path) in your peripheral vision.

Here are a few I feel qualify as OLTJRIYDPs:
1. Kids playing on the street side
2. Pedestrains walking along the road (esp the ones who keep glancing over their shoulder or are chatting on their mobile)
3. Rickshaws / Cars waiting by the shoulder
4. Buses pulling out of the bus stop / depot
5. A family crossing the road (herd mentality can cause real problems here)
6. Milkmen and such likes
7. People walking along the side engrossed in conversation

Guys, feel free to add to the list.
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 12:00   #137
BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
2. Pedestrains walking along the road (esp the ones who keep glancing over their shoulder or are chatting on their mobile)
3. Rickshaws / Cars waiting by the shoulder
4. Buses pulling out of the bus stop / depot
5. A family crossing the road (herd mentality can cause real problems here)
6. Milkmen and such likes
7. People walking along the side engrossed in conversation

Guys, feel free to add to the list.
8) cyclists trying to do a running start on the side of a road, swaying madly or even worse cyclist's buddy trying to jump on his carrier on a running start and causing the cycle to sway !!
9) jokers walking on the side of road, playfully fighting and pushing each other
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 12:39   #138
BHPian

After going through all the posts in the thread, I have only one word harrowing. Let me give you a glimpse or snapshot of our good old Kolkata, pointwise.

a) The slowest of the slows drive on the right lane.
b) The road is rulled by cycles, auto, taxi , private buses.
c) 99% of the drivers change lanes without indicators and with their side view mirrors shut.
d) The legendary yellow cab would hit the shuttle brake in the middle of the road if anybody hails them irrespective of the fact somebody is behind.
e) The buses and minibuses wont even bat their eyelid to cut accross you.
f) The most irritating : Just when the signal turns green you would find either a gentleman or a lady with one hand up ( as if reliving those present please days) looking straight and crossing the road, you and your car dont even exist for them.
I will update this if I have missed out on anything in the evening after I return home from Office as necessorily on any given day you would experience a+b+c+d+e+f .....uptill z.
Solution-
me_sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 19:49   #139
BHPian

No Sense of Responsibility! Look, I found this one in the Fast Lane on NH8.

Does it qualify here?
Attached Thumbnails
Road Sense and No Sense of responsibility-sq0054.jpg  

Road Sense and No Sense of responsibility-sq0053.jpg  

BeamerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:12   #140
Senior - BHPian

Beamer thats scarry!!!

btw i came across a moron who wanted to take a U turn so from extrem left shoots to the right lane without any signal.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:36   #141
BHPian

Now its no longer the "fast lane"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
No Sense of Responsibility! Look, I found this one in the Fast Lane on NH8.

Does it qualify here?
ash_blore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:21   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Well let me add a couple of experiences.

I was driving from Goregoan to Oshiwara. The signal just before the Oshiwara bus depot turned green and I was in the right most lane at 50 kmph. The traffic moving on the opposite side was jam packed. Suddenly in front of me a headlight comes on and I see a smart aleck scooter guy coming head on just a few feet away. I lost it and continued straight at him. He realised that and braked - the screech of the tyres shocked my gf who argued with me for doing that to the scooter guy !! I explained to her that if there was a collision I would have been blamed anyway even though I was correct.
Tell me about it ! I live in the lane right across Oshiwara Depot and face this nonsense everyday,not just bikers but even cars coming head-on.Morons everywhere.Education doesn't help these idiots I guess

Last edited by maverick030581 : 2nd February 2009 at 15:23.
maverick030581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:14   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhatau View Post
Well another case of no road sense and I could do nothing about it. I was travelling with my wife on 60 feet road at ghatkopar (Mumbai) and suddenly see an auto rickshaw come to me from the wrong side of the divider. I go straight into him and he brakes. We stand there for few minutes, nothing happens, then bystanders start abusing me to get out of the way and my wife gets angry at me for not letting the auto guy pass, she leaves the car as a crowd of 40 to 50 people builds up at the site. Then I am left alone and this crowd is banging on my car and abusing me and warning me that i would get beaten up. Finally i backed off instead of getting thrashed by mob who thought that a guy who is right should be thrashed and the auto rickshaw guy inspite of being wrong should be given the way. Well i cannot understand what makes perfectly sane people support wrong doers and abuse people who stand up for their rights. Life goes on .Nothing changes.
You said it mate.In India,99% of people,educated,illiterate,low class,middle,upper,whatever,just don't want to change.They are used to behaving that way and will forever continue to do so.How many will you fight when you have no support?I do support such cases when I see them happening but I don't do it myself.Atleast try not to.Otherwise I'd have my blood pressure rising every 500 metres and fights happening every 2 minutes.Easier to change yourself rather than trying to change these morons.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:08   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
You said it mate.In India,99% of people,educated,illiterate,low class,middle,upper,whatever,just don't want to change.They are used to behaving that way and will forever continue to do so.How many will you fight when you have no support?I do support such cases when I see them happening but I don't do it myself.Atleast try not to.Otherwise I'd have my blood pressure rising every 500 metres and fights happening every 2 minutes.Easier to change yourself rather than trying to change these morons.
You said it: Neither does education help nor does experience! But I keep wondering what the hell on earth would make such morons change?? If someone ever did that to them, how would they react?
deadguy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:20   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
You said it: Neither does education help nor does experience! But I keep wondering what the hell on earth would make such morons change?? If someone ever did that to them, how would they react?
They would just abuse the other guy and not realise that they do it themselves too.Or maybe they would sympathise.After all,stupidity and ignorance love company don't they?
Old 3rd February 2009, 16:10   #146
BHPian

Default Will we turn around?

Makes me wonder when we will learn? When will we start driving according to rules knowing them fully. Has it ever happened in any country where people were driving worse than Roman times and had been able to turn around and make sure everybody drives by rules.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 16:35   #147
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Came across one such idiot say about 15 minutes ago only. The bugger cut me 3 times times in 5 minutes. Obviously i went mad, chased the moron down. Put my headlights, foglights on full beam and gave him the dipper treatment for 15 minutes. But i guess it went overboard, finally we came side by side and i gave him the dirty looks. But it did not end there. The idiot came out of his car and opened my drivers side door. Thank God for my heavy built and the fact that i was able to curse in a louder voice than him, got away without anything serious. But I swear to God, i am not going to do such a thing ever again.
P.s. While giving the dipper treatment I was not driving like that moron. He just kept slowing, then racing ahead, again slowing and on and on.
bharti22shresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 22:03   #148
Senior - BHPian

My cousin in B'lore had a similar incident last week. The guy's about 5'8",and about 65kgs.Not big built at all.
He was driving somewhere near Residency Rd,and a moron in a Civic kept weaving in and out of traffic almost clipping my cousin's Safari. Naturally,my cousin honked a few times,and used the dipper once.He just wanted to warn the moron not to drive that way. The guy in the Civic decided to stop at the next lights( cash Pharmacy,I believe),and got out of his car and came charging to open the driver's door. Call it presence of mind or plain wit,my cousin waited till the last second and as the moron tugged at the door handle, my cousin pushed the door from the inside. Crash boom bang..and the moron was on the road,flat out on his back! Absolutely hilarious sight,and with what little dignity he had,the guy picked himself up and walked back to his car.

Guess these things are needed once in a while!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 22:54   #149
BHPian

Red face

yeah I am still not sure where all these fuming people are coming on our roads who at the drop of the hat get out and run to open your car door and pull you out. I had a similar incident which I was discussing here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...o-trouble.html

I mean sure everyone has pent up anger, frustrations, tensions in life - it doesn't mean you start taking it out as road rage and pulling fellow car owners out of their cars to start a fist fight !!

Our roads were already in pathetic shape, but it seems now the drivers on our roads have also turned to being bumbling angry egomaniac morons

Last edited by jassi : 3rd February 2009 at 22:56.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 23:46   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
One simple thing to do is give off a couple of warning beeps whenever you see an OLTJIYDP (Object Likely To Jump In Your Driving Path) in your peripheral vision.

Good list, but allow me to add another - truck or cow jumping a divider - and describe a couple of frightening incidents.

Was driving along NH-58 near Muradnagar at @8AM, when on the other carriageway, a group of school kids started to cross the road from side to centre. A T-407 was coming fast the other side, saw the kids late, braked and swerved. I thought the kids were going to be hit. The truck, however, swerved right, jumped the median, and stopped with its front wheels on my carriageway - with my car less than 50 feet from it. Fortunately I had braked and slowed down to less than 40 km/h already on spotting the kids, but the T-407 (T-Rex?) charging at me really shook me up. No impact, and I could just swerve round the front of the truck, but the surprise element was extremely high. If T-Rex had actually crossed the median completely... Well, I guess I have the UP Roads department to thank for making such solid and high dividers.

One more incident - while an American couple, guests of mine, were in the car. We were in a hired Corolla, on our way to Agra on the NH2. On the opposite carriageway, a stray cow was hit by a bus, and bodily flew across the median, landing on our carriageway and close to the car. When the noise of the bus hitting the cow occurred, the couple looked up from our conversation and saw a FLYING cow land on the road! The driver was prepared for it, swerved around it without breaking speed, and we were on our way as if nothing happened.

My guests tell me to this day, how they saw a flying cow in India, and how good our drivers' reaction times are. If such an incident had happened in th US, there was sure to be a crash.

Mera Bharat Mahaan!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote