Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 7th August 2008, 15:12   #76
Team-BHP Support

@Bblost, that sounded hilarious and not to mention quite filmy
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 15:15   #77
BHPian

True the best place to observe this is from a bus when taken a window seat.

Most of us in the IT sector talk about lane driving and all that. I wonder where all this goes when some of us board our office bus or cab! We sit in our seats reading newspapers/listening to music while the driver is scaring the hell out of other motorists alongside. Most of the office buses/cabs cut across lanes as though it is their birth right.

Have the IT honchos done anything on educating the drivers who drive the so-called edcated people to work? Even if they have educated their drivers, we do not see it reflecting in reality on the roads. It is interesting to note that some of the people in the bus may even be cursing the traffic snarls on the road not realising that their own bus/cab may have been a cause of it at some point!

No offence intended.

I too work in the IT sector but I do not take the office cab/bus !
deadguy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 15:54   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

bblost; I thought you would leave the guy searching for his key. I think you treated him kindly.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 16:03   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Have the IT honchos done anything on educating the drivers who drive the so-called edcated people to work?
No offence intended.

I see this many times.
I wonder why people buy costly vehicles and give them to drivers who can not drive it properly.
Mostly the driver is not used to the controls of those high end cars as well.
I see them driving at ridiculous speeds(low or high)
and they donot follow any lane.
and mostly we are afraid of touching them for the sheer love towards those mean machines
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 17:19   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Most of us in the IT sector talk about lane driving and all that. I wonder where all this goes when some of us board our office bus or cab! We sit in our seats reading newspapers/listening to music while the driver is scaring the hell out of other motorists alongside. Most of the office buses/cabs cut across lanes as though it is their birth right.

Have the IT honchos done anything on educating the drivers who drive the so-called edcated people to work?
Well deadguy... i hope you have seen the post by mjothi... all the two wheelers on the pavement...

Most likely most of them are grads... If they dont follow the rules... why do you expect the bus/ cab drivers to follow the rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

Look at those bike-wallas coming in opp. side that too on the payment and trying to cross the traffic Smart guys, they want to overtake the traffic that was stuck and hence trying to come in opp direction. Since there was on-going traffic, they went one step ahead and took the Platform.
My take is... we the well educated honchos should follow discipline while driving. Stop honking and lane cutting.. slowly we can make a change.
druva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 17:34   #81
Senior - BHPian

My take is... we the well educated honchos should follow discipline while driving. Stop honking and lane cutting.. slowly we can make a change.[/quote]

Have noticed that most of the educated looking people dont follow rules and sometimes act stupidly...

Yesterday on Gm Palya their was a mad rush about 7ish, people who use this road know well that its a perfect 2 lane, which makes it very important not to cut lane esp big vehicles like cars and buses.... one moron in a esteem seem to b in a hurry gets out of his lane and comes to the opposite lane knowing a bus is coming...the bus guy had no place to move and he stopped in middle and this moron looking for space, when people started to shout he again went back to his lane...

Every time i get out i get to see such morons!
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 11:24   #82
BHPian

****Well deadguy... i hope you have seen the post by mjothi... all the two wheelers on the pavement...
Most likely most of them are grads... If they dont follow the rules... why do you expect the bus/ cab drivers to follow the rules?***

@druva:

You are right! When educated guys are behaving that way, it is a bit too much to expect lane driving fomr uneducated guys !
deadguy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 14:19   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
****Well deadguy... i hope you have seen the post by mjothi... all the two wheelers on the pavement...
Most likely most of them are grads... If they dont follow the rules... why do you expect the bus/ cab drivers to follow the rules?***

@druva:

You are right! When educated guys are behaving that way, it is a bit too much to expect lane driving fomr uneducated guys !
Well the best rule one should follow is - "Learn to give way to others".

If both guys stops, no issue, its just little late, but if both guys don't stop and want to go first, then one or both can become LATE.

I hear people telling there that if we start leaving way, then we never proceed. Sort of, but even if you try to move first, do you think we are really proceeding now?

Almost both results in same delay, so better pick the safer one.
Everybody wants to go first as if if he cross that hurdle, next is his/her house.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 14:31   #84
BHPian

Well, this is the problem with everyone. Yesterday, I was coming back from Srisailam. What I saw was truly amazing once I hit the airport traffic. The regular Easy Cabs and other yellow cabs drive fast and cut lanes. Kind of expected from them, but they are not supposed to.

However, what would one say if we saw people in C-segement, D-Segement and high-end SUVs doing the same? There was one Range Rover driving mad - cutting all the lanes at one go. This is very sad situation.

No matter how big the roads we make, unless people have common sense, we will always have trouble.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 16:00   #85
Senior - BHPian

Talking of lane discipline is something that is too redundant as no one ever bothers to follow. Turning on the blinkers while changing lanes, or even hand signals to make the person behind you and also to drivers on to the lanes you are merging know about your move is a healthy habit. But unfortunately leave alone the people checking the blind spots above the shoulders, they don't even care to signal and acknowledge the mistakes as their ego takes the front seat here.

I encountered this Merc driving soul once on a highway who was questioning my usage of the hazard lights and i go and damn it was raining with low visibility factor and some folks dont even know and look @ you that you are some kind of a retard with those lights blinking.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 16:09   #86
Team-BHP Support

vj_mavrick to the best of my knowledge using hazard blinkers on a car that is running normally and is also not engaged in some towing is incorrect.

IMHO you were wrong in using the blinkers just because it was raining and visibility was hampered.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 16:23   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
vj_mavrick to the best of my knowledge using hazard blinkers on a car that is running normally and is also not engaged in some towing is incorrect.

IMHO you were wrong in using the blinkers just because it was raining and visibility was hampered.
Come on dude ! I don't want anyone ramming me from behind when the visibility is low and its not that i was using the blinkers when the visibility is normal.

Definitely many times hazard lights should be used only when there is serious engine problem or when the vehicle becomes a hazard to other commuting vehicles, but when there is heavy rain and visibility being very low i dont think its absolutely wrong.

No offence brother, have you ever driven in heavy rains or snow and if you did please be on the safer side to have your hazard lights on as i did considerable amount of driving in the snowy regions of midwest in Rapid city and Minnesota where it snows and its just being safe. Does that make me wrong for being safer and advocating safety, no way brother and i still stick to the hazard lights in poor visibility though you deem me wrong .

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 11th August 2008 at 16:29.
Old 11th August 2008, 16:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
I don't want anyone ramming me from behind when the visibility is low and its not that i was using the blinkers when the visibility is normal.
VJ, even I feel that blinkers should not be used in such conditions, what you can do is to switch on the Parking lights (small lights in the front and tail lamps are switched on) whenever there is a heavy rain or snow!

Blinkers are ideally used when you are stationary or being towed by another vehicle.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 16:46   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
VJ, even I feel that blinkers should not be used in such conditions, what you can do is to switch on the Parking lights (small lights in the front and tail lamps are switched on) whenever there is a heavy rain or snow!

Blinkers are ideally used when you are stationary or being towed by another vehicle.
Oops finneyp! i too did mention about the hazard (parking lights) the triangled shaped switch and not the left or the right blinkers per se during the heavy rains. Was i not clear in my earlier post if so excuse me for that
Old 11th August 2008, 17:18   #90
BHPian

I am for using the hazard (parking lights) when you have to warn someone behind (edit) and in front of you.

I was travelling on the ring road from BEL circle towards Hebbal and as i was appoaching the Hebbal flyover signal (the road takes a slight left just after the entrance to the park on the left) i saw the green light turn to red. The vehicles which were on both sides and in the front started to accelerate so that they pass the signal just after it turns red. I started to slow down and noticed that a tempo traveller behind me was expecting me to jump the signal and was not slowing down. As the distance between us was reducing rapidly I immediately pressed the hazard lights on and then noticed the guy slowing down.

It is how you communicate warning / hazard situation to other motorists on the road and you are in your rights to do so if you feel you have to.

Last edited by prabhusati : 11th August 2008 at 17:33. Reason: text added
prabhusati is offline   Reply With Quote