Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 11th August 2008, 17:30   #91
BHPian

Smile

i use hazard lights at times when there is a sudden barrier in fornt of me with lotsa fast vehicles behind me or a large speed breaker on a very high speed stretch - just to warn people behind me to slow down and it works - ofcourse continuously moving around with the hazard lights in rains seems a bit pointless

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
I am for using the hazard (parking lights) when you have to warn someone behind (edit) in front of you.

I was travelling on the ring road from BEL circle towards Hebbal and as i was appoaching the Hebbal flyover signal (the road takes a slight left just after the entrance to the park on the left) i saw the green light turn to red. The vehicles which were on both sides and in the front started to accelerate so that they pass the signal just after it turns red. I started to slow down and noticed that a tempo traveller behind me was expecting me to jump the signal and was not slowing down. As the distance between us was reducing rapidly I immediately pressed the hazard lights on and then noticed the guy slowing down.

It is how you communicate warning / hazard situation to other motorists on the road and you are in your rights to do so if you feel you have to.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 17:34   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
...IMHO you were wrong in using the blinkers just because it was raining and visibility was hampered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
...Blinkers are ideally used when you are stationary or being towed by another vehicle.
Hazard lights (when left & right side indicators are blinking at the same time) are to be used in hazardous conditions, aka slippery place, low visibility due to fog, rain, etc and any place where you need the other person on the road (vehicles) know about your presence.

I would rather have someone notice my hazard light and then as me 'what the hell' instead of him noticing me after hitting me and then asking 'what the hell'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
... ofcourse continuously moving around with the hazard lights in rains seems a bit pointless
Mmm... that would be me - Pointless.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 11th August 2008 at 17:37. Reason: Added response
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 17:38   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Hazard lights (when left & right side indicators are blinking at the same time) are to be used in hazardous conditions, aka slippery place, low visibility due to fog, rain, etc and any place where you need the other person on the road (vehicles) know about your presence.

I would rather have someone notice my hazard light and then as me 'what the hell' instead of him noticing me after hitting me and then asking 'what the hell'!
Exactly HappyWheels as during heavy rains i think this is somewhat necessary as it makes you visible for the traffic coming behind.
Contrary to this, yes it is also not advisable to use to parking lights for the heck of it unless in situations like you mentioned and damn i luv my ride way too much to be knocked by someone unintentionally due to very low visibility.

@prabhusati: Thats a good way of letting people behind you know and make them aware and i too use it in such stops and ofcourse using my hand too to signal for a halt as its pretty common scenario for many folks trying to sneak even in spite of red.

@jassi: Its always a good practice to let the rides coming behind you know of a potential hazard and damn ain't the hazard lights for that very reason and i too agree in its usage in such circumstances.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 11th August 2008 at 17:43.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 18:17   #94
BHPian

There has been a lot of debate on the correct use of hazards. Here is one famous example -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...i-highway.html (Horrific accident on Abu Dhabi-Dubai highway)
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 19:16   #95
BHPian

I have seen some people use the hazard lights to go straight at crossroads is it right?
D.V.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 19:19   #96
BHPian

Smile

i have seen people using it when going in the wrong direction on a one way or on the wrong side of a road - and yes going in the wrong direction itself is wrong, but yeah by all means use the hazards to alert the people you are coming in the wrong

not sure on the using of hazardlights when going straight on crossroads - as I haven't ever seen that

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
I have seen some people use the hazard lights to go straight at crossroads is it right?

Last edited by jassi : 11th August 2008 at 19:21.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 19:28   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i have seen people using it when going in the wrong direction on a one way or on the wrong side of a road - and yes going in the wrong direction itself is wrong, but yeah by all means use the hazards to alert the people you are coming in the wrong

not sure on the using of hazardlights when going straight on crossroads - as I haven't ever seen that
Yea DVR is right as @ a signal stop with blinking yellow (amber) or @ a cross section many drivers do put on the hazard lights to indicate that they will be going straight, not sure why it is done but many do it anyways.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 20:00   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a strange use of the lights that I have seen.

Have not seens much of it here in Bangalore or Kerala, but have noticed it a lot in TN.
Old 12th August 2008, 02:07   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Hazard lights to indicate that the car is going neither left nor right!

Yes, I've seen it too: weird!

Hazard lights in reduced visibility: No. definitely,certainly, no. That's what rear fog lights are for, and they can be very effective in heavy rain too. Don't forget to turn them off when it stops.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 06:38   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Hazard lights in reduced visibility: No. definitely,certainly, no. That's what rear fog lights are for, and they can be very effective in heavy rain too. Don't forget to turn them off when it stops.
You are right. But how many cars have rear foglights? And how many know how/when to use them? Under normal conditions, rear fog lights can be a real irritant. Some guys swithc on all the lights they have on their car and drive almost proclaiming - It's my car, I have paid for it - I will use it as I like, others be damned !!
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 09:49   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...That's what rear fog lights are for, and they can be very effective in heavy rain too. Don't forget to turn them off when it stops.
Thad, which car has this? Some thing new, atleast for me, here....
Old 12th August 2008, 10:05   #102
Senior - BHPian

On my recent trip to Orissa, in Bhubhaneshwar I noticed at crossroads that hazard light were used to "indicate" that they were going straight. My taxi driver was shocked that I did not know this !!
I thought rear fog lights were used to see while reversing in rain/fog/dark etc.
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 10:30   #103
BHPian

One more use of Hazard light is to indicate people behind, when you approach a un-marked speed breaker in a high speed road. Make sure you give the person behind enough time.
arunmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 12:37   #104
BHPian

Quote:
I've heard Rajni Kant does that to fool the rowdies chasing him.

Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 17:26   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Thad, which car has this? Some thing new, atleast for me, here....
Well, most cars in UK do --- and people turn them on all the time, which is dazzling and annoying.

Now you come to mention it, maybe they are not so common here?

But, my Swift VDI does, and here's the really embarrassing thing... I just went out to check, and realised that I'd never used it and didn't realise that there is a separate switch for it!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote