Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 12th August 2008, 18:01   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, most cars in UK do ...

Now you come to mention it, maybe they are not so common here?

But, my Swift VDI does, and here's the really embarrassing thing... I just went out to check, and realised that I'd never used it and didn't realise that there is a separate switch for it!
Hahahaa... welcome to India, Thad!

But hey, I did notice that SVSanthosh has made post in his thread about his Indigo and this feature is there in his vehicle and also Indica. So thats three makes that now I know of which has this feature - Swift, Indica and Indigo.

And seems like you also got to know something new today - the switch to the lamp.

Seems like some good feature are getting integrated slowly into the vehicles here. A good sign I would say.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 20:45   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Hahahaa... welcome to India, Thad!

But hey, I did notice that SVSanthosh has made post in his thread about his Indigo and this feature is there in his vehicle and also Indica. So thats three makes that now I know of which has this feature - Swift, Indica and Indigo.

And seems like you also got to know something new today - the switch to the lamp.

Seems like some good feature are getting integrated slowly into the vehicles here. A good sign I would say.
My Fusion has rear fog lights.

I think Spark has them too.
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 23:28   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, I should have said that my Swift has it, rather than them: a single, central rear fog lamp.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 09:47   #109
BHPian

Default People who create traffic jams

Well i was standing at the junction of mithibai college (Mumbai-Parle) on saturday night at around 9 pm. On the turn from S.V.Road to Mithibai college a bus must have brushed a maruti zen while turning. the zen guy overtook the bus and stopped his vehicle in the middle of the road and blocked total traffic from moving and this created a big traffic jam at the junction and he was not willing to listen to anyone and insisted that the bus driver should bear the damage done to his vehicle. All this went on for about 15 minutes and then finally he took the car to a side and traffic began to move again. My whole point is how can individuals hold up traffic like this and nobody does anything to sort this problem. Even I could not solve it as he was adamant not to move. Is there a solution to this road madness?
dkhatau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 10:06   #110
Senior - BHPian

I have seen this scene many times. But put yourself in the car driver's place. If I was him, I would have stopped long enough to get into the bus & plonk him several times on his head. These govt. bus drivers think they can do anything they want & get away with it.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 10:15   #111
Team-BHP Support

The individual driver is the most vulnerable and frustrated of the lot. Anything happens to his car and he'll have to deal with himself and not have the type of support that happens if say, a rick is involved - all rick drivers would congregate to their colleague's cause of extracting atleast Rs 3000 from the other vehicle.

I was told of another jam here at Yeswanthpur signal - its seems a car nudged the stop-line during a red signal and the traffic cop used some interesting grass-roots expletives against that driver. Unfortunately that car was Press and the owner-driver decided he aint budging his car till the cop apologized for the language. Some gridlocks later, the affected commuters convinced the cop to apologize to this press gentleman before he moved his car.

Last edited by theMAG : 8th September 2008 at 10:18.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 10:19   #112
Team-BHP Support

Hey,
I once created a nice long traffic jam.

Found this Tata Sumo being drivven in a erratic manner. Peeked in to find a 10 year old boy driving it.
Stopped my bike right across in front of the Sumo.
A guy comes over from the side on another bike and tells me thats its fine. Not a problem. Thats his son who is driving. He is a very good driver and all that bull.

I am now joined by one more person. His CRv had been almost brushed by the Sumo. I request him to find me a cop. All this is happening on the junction of Rd #12 with Rd #1 Banjara Hills. Its a Sunday but there is quite a bit of traffic on this road. The time is 6:20 PM. I am not budging.

Threats from this drivers father. But this is Hyderabad meri jaan. My voice is louder and I am getting a lot of support from the crowd.
When he tells me that I am supposed to praise his son for being such a good driver.
I start laughing in his face.
The public joins me.

Finally a cop is found.
I hand over this case to him and leave.

Have 0 faith in the cop doing anything except take a little money and let the guy go.

However he would have understood one thing. The time he wanted to save was lost.
Some of us are not going to take non-sense on the road like that.

But coming directly to the point in question.
I hate the auto drivers who stop in front of major intersections to drop off the passenger.
Mostly the case with Share Autos.
The blame lies on
1. No drop off points.
2. Passenger being *** and getting off wherever they want.
3. Passengers being bigger *** and not keeping correct change.
4. Autos knowing they can do whatever they want as there is 0 policing.
5. The Govt for being absent in terms of setting a good road use policy.
6. US for putting up with it.

and lastly the ISI of Pakistan. (They must be blamed for everything that goes wrong here)

Last edited by bblost : 8th September 2008 at 10:38.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 10:32   #113
BHPian

In this case, the Zen guy at least had a reason to do what he was doing. How do you explain people who form an illegal second or third lane at traffic lights and block on coming traffic?

I think they are the worst kind. The other variety are the ones who form an additional lane by getting off the road and overtaking you from the left and then muscle their way back into the proper lane, when the road becomes too narrow. I simply cannot understand how their time is more important than the other road users. I encounter both varieties during my daily commute to work and back.

Sometimes, it makes me feel like an idiot, trying to follow lane discipline.

Cheers,

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 10:40   #114
Senior - BHPian

Can't help it , the moment he moves the side the bus driver will try to escape so people resort to these type of measures.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 12:27   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
and lastly the ISI of Pakistan. (They must be blamed for everything that goes wrong here)

Ofcourse they have to be!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 13:50   #116
BHPian

The only solution to this to have a effective police force. I have seen many such incidents in Bangalore and Hyderabad, where the might will prevail over the week (irrespective of the right or wrong) and police in our cities are mute spectators.

However, I have seen few very bad accidents in the US and cops out there are very quick to respond and their primary objective is to asses the situation, record the statements, take pictures and then clear the road for regular flow of traffic.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 14:09   #117
BHPian

@bblost a ten year old driving a tata sumo is it a joke or what there are many such foolish parents in our country who take this as a pride act ,the children cannot be blamed as its their age and they will want to have fun its the parents to be blamed infact there are so many accidents reported from mumbai,delhi etc caused by underage drivers
team suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 19:53   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Hey,
I once created a nice long traffic jam.

Found this Tata Sumo being drivven in a erratic manner. Peeked in to find a 10 year old boy driving it.
Stopped my bike right across in front of the Sumo.
A guy comes over from the side on another bike and tells me thats its fine. Not a problem. Thats his son who is driving. He is a very good driver and all that bull.
I once had a similar situation. It was on one of the roads connecting to the ring road, which has a prominent divider to separate the incoming and outgoing traffic. As the signal gave green, I was moving on this road along with rest of morning peak hour traffic, I see this private bus coming on the wrong side with fair speed flashing lights and everyone else just meekly giving way to the bus. In a slit second, I thought this should not be allowed and confronted the bus head on in my IKON. The bus came to a screeching halt just a foot and half in front of me and started abusing for not moving to the side ignoring the fact that he was totally on the wrong side of the divider. Meanwhile the rest of traffic moved on nobody came to my support. But I did not give in and asked him to go back reverse. When the signal behind turned red and the traffic on the lane stopped, the bus tried to upsurge me by taking a few feet back and then getting away, but I waylaid him again. The traffic again came on the lane, but lot of passed thru the small portion left. Finally another biker stopped and joined the argument with me. Then some more joined. By then the bus fellow cooled down and started pleading to let him go. But we insisted that he should go back. Since this was affecting traffic, after a while the traffic cops landed. The cops took on the bus guys and of course by then the bus guys started pleading. Since it was getting late for office, I left the scene at that time after telling the cops. Not sure whether a charge or bribe settled the issue finally; but I suppose the bus fellow would have learned some lesson and would think a second time before doing the same thing.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 22:37   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhatau View Post

My whole point is how can individuals hold up traffic like this and nobody does anything to sort this problem. Even I could not solve it as he was adamant not to move. Is there a solution to this road madness?
Well, you are very lucky to find a sensible person who stopped and created a traffic jam because a bus driver brushed his car. I support him.

But coming to the point you are trying to say.
Read on:

1) On this friday I went to pay the electircity bill of both our house and society ( usually I do this job also ). The road is not very wide here. A white renault Logan comes and stops in the middle of the road. On left side there is space for two wheelers, but is blocked by two wheeler parking. On the right side cars of residents are there. They have space in their compounds but still park on the raod. So two bikes and one cargo three wheeler honk to inicate that Logan should move. What was the reason for the Logan to stop ?

A 30-32 year old person with a mobile in his hand came out of rear seat. So the Logan stopped to drop a person. He started screaming at others. I was just parking my bike. Rest is some physical fight and its history.

So now think about this: A car stops in the middle of the road to drop a person ? What is this ? Sensible behaviour and understanding that others have a right to live also ?

2)
I leaved from college to reach home. It was 4:30pm today. I had to go back to college to submit project report at 5:30pm. So was in a hurry. At around 4:45pm when i had travelled 6 kms and 3 more remaining :

In a similar fashion, a Safari stops to drop a madam. Others honk but she is slow. His husband managed to create some traffic jam as this was done just after entering a 90 degree turn. He comes out screaming at others. I was honking as I was getting late. He physically pushed my bike. Things got wild. I got off my bike and rest was phycial brawl between him and me.

Took away keys.
Public now has hold of him now. Police station is just 25 steps ( menas very, very near, less than 25 mtrs away) away. I called them and told about the incidence.
But they came and wanted the car to move and also asked others not to lose temper. Now it was heights.

Others were ready to beat the Safari owner. I realized that now things will get more uglier, so asked him to leave with his car, and pushed him violently with all my might. He broke his driver door's external RVM.

Now again my point is : Was this correct ?
If you wonder why the Zen owner stopped and created jam, just think of this incidence.

At this place, this normally happens, but this time it was very bad situation. Most of the regular road users were not happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
The only solution to this to have a effective police force. I have seen many such incidents in Bangalore and Hyderabad, where the might will prevail over the week (irrespective of the right or wrong) and police in our cities are mute spectators.
Well, its not police force but road users. If all the road users get disciplined and understand that others also have a right to live, then things will automatically improve.
Well all Indians must behave more responsibly on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
However, I have seen few very bad accidents in the US and cops out there are very quick to respond and their primary objective is to asses the situation, record the statements, take pictures and then clear the road for regular flow of traffic.

Forever, we will remain India.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 23:21   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
I once had a similar situation. It was on one of the roads connecting to the ring road, which has a prominent divider to separate the incoming and outgoing traffic. As the signal gave green, I was moving on this road along with rest of morning peak hour traffic, I see this private bus coming on the wrong side with fair speed flashing lights – and everyone else just meekly giving way to the bus. ... ...
Something like this happened to me on Chennai's OMR in the night a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly, I find a truck with it's headlights full on coming straight at me. With all the development work going on, it is not unusual for site traffic, and others, to user the wrong side of the road, but at least they tuck into the side of the road, not come full on along the meridian.

Muttering this to myslef, I got out of its way.

... only to realise that there was other traffic behind it. The other carriageway was closed; this traffic was diverted!

But there was nothing to inform traffic heading South that Northbound traffic was using its lane. Nothing.

===========

One day, turning into a street (I was passenger in an auto) a car coming out blocks the road while a guy gets out of the back seat to go into the shop. He takes his time.

I shouted at the driver.

My auto man said to me, "Sir, you should not blame the driver; he has no choice but to stop where his owner tells him".

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th September 2008 at 23:27.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote