Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th September 2008, 10:05   #121
Senior - BHPian

Are you trying to say that most people in india dont have Common Sense, Etiquettes, Sense of responsibility and respect for others ??

If yes, with you. Most comes from your upbringing and some from your education.

Times have changed nowdays most have money to flaunt but no manners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Well, its not police force but road users. If all the road users get disciplined and understand that others also have a right to live, then things will automatically improve.

Well all Indians must behave more responsibly on the road.

Forever, we will remain India.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 11:28   #122
BHPian

My main point was what about the people who get stuck up in such situations. They also have to go to their respective destinations. Anyways tempers run so high nowadays on the road it sometimes gets dangerous to get in such brawls.
dkhatau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 12:24   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
I once had a similar situation. It was on one of the roads connecting to the ring road, which has a prominent divider to separate the incoming and outgoing traffic. As the signal gave green, I was moving on this road along with rest of morning peak hour traffic, I see this private bus coming on the wrong side with fair speed flashing lights and everyone else just meekly giving way to the bus.

How i wish i was around when this happend. Good job man. Not sure whether the driver learned a lesson but you acted as a true citizen. Hope our tribe increases.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 12:49   #124
BANNED

When faced with oncoming traffic in your lane, the best thing to do is stop.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...tml#post930688

The exception would be an ambulance which I encountered yesterday on the Brookefields Road.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 13:08   #125
Senior - BHPian

Well let me add a couple of experiences.

I was driving from Goregoan to Oshiwara. The signal just before the Oshiwara bus depot turned green and I was in the right most lane at 50 kmph. The traffic moving on the opposite side was jam packed. Suddenly in front of me a headlight comes on and I see a smart aleck scooter guy coming head on just a few feet away. I lost it and continued straight at him. He realised that and braked - the screech of the tyres shocked my gf who argued with me for doing that to the scooter guy !! I explained to her that if there was a collision I would have been blamed anyway even though I was correct.

Later on in the night at 1 am, driving back home on the EEH towards Chembur - as I approach the flyover over the Mankhurd junction (100 kmph was my speed) I see a motorcycle coming at me head on in the right lane at full speed. I braked and moved out of his way. He passes me and at the end of the flyover takes a U turn right in front of another car who has to brake in emergency.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 13:21   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Are you trying to say that most people in india dont have Common Sense, Etiquettes, Sense of responsibility and respect for others ??

If yes, with you. Most comes from your upbringing and some from your education.

Times have changed nowdays most have money to flaunt but no manners.
So true ... this is the mother of all issues.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 13:55   #127
BHPian

If we could cleanse the city of uncaring drivers/riders, I am sure we could solve 80% of traffic jams. Wish the cops, though they are doing their best, would support the general public by putting some sense in to the private buse drivers, instead of helping the common man lighten his wallet (at times).
deadguy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 20:39   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Well let me add a couple of experiences.

I was driving from Goregoan to Oshiwara. The signal just before the Oshiwara bus depot turned green and I was in the right most lane at 50 kmph. The traffic moving on the opposite side was jam packed. Suddenly in front of me a headlight comes on and I see a smart aleck scooter guy coming head on just a few feet away. I lost it and continued straight at him. He realised that and braked - the screech of the tyres shocked my gf who argued with me for doing that to the scooter guy !! I explained to her that if there was a collision I would have been blamed anyway even though I was correct.
Never ever give them way.

You have the right of way. You dealt with a Scooter, I dealt with a public transporation bus! who did not have patience (on old madras road) I ran on to him Head On, and did not give up!
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 20:46   #129
Senior - BHPian

The other day I made a trip to salem.
Salem to bangalore = 3 hours
Bangalore to home approx 20km = 3 hours 10 mins
Why? Because people did not follow traffic rules/etiquette/etc. thereby causing more of a mess and bigger traffic jams.
I Dont htink most of them think that traffic goes both ways, for most its to find space to head in their direction. they dont give a $#&& about others
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 21:18   #130
BHPian

Default Why is this so confusing?

Guys,

I just read this thread again in its entirety. I just could not help wonder:

1. We, proud Team-BHPians, educated and willing to give out lots of advise, cannot agree upon or understand the correct usage of hazard lamps.

2. Rear fog lamps are, AFAIK (it was at least that way in my BMW) are red lights brighter than your normal tails lamps, to improve visibility for the guy behind you. Is this a clear lamp in the cars being discussed here?

3. While some of us are brave enough to take a bus driver full-on, is it really the correct thing to do? The others by meekly giving way are at least not creating a traffic jam. Aren't public transport drivers trained? Is this act of taking the driver full-on and creating a jam going to drive some sense into him? I very much doubt it.

As a basic effort, can we have a separate thread, section describing proper road manners and road usage? At least those of us who are less knowledgeable and the new generation coming into this forum will benefit.

Cheers,

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 16:30   #131
Senior - BHPian

Today i came across a IRRESPONSIBLE driver on airport road, i was on the right lane and there was a car in left lane i guess about 4 ft in the front. this guy in a TN reg 800 comes in left lane and tires to cut me and take the right lane. he had hardly 4-5ft between my car and the car which is in front(left lane) If i dint slow down he would have got stuck between my car and the car which was in front....

I was so irritated, though i let him pass. i made sure that i overtook him and slowed down...i did this couple of times. am sure he wouldn't have learnt anything ...

He surely would have got me and the other car into trouble ...

I faced the same on Mysore road couple of weeks back...

Just to save few mins people are putting others in risk...
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 09:30   #132
BHPian

Well another case of no road sense and I could do nothing about it. I was travelling with my wife on 60 feet road at ghatkopar (Mumbai) and suddenly see an auto rickshaw come to me from the wrong side of the divider. I go straight into him and he brakes. We stand there for few minutes, nothing happens, then bystanders start abusing me to get out of the way and my wife gets angry at me for not letting the auto guy pass, she leaves the car as a crowd of 40 to 50 people builds up at the site. Then I am left alone and this crowd is banging on my car and abusing me and warning me that i would get beaten up. Finally i backed off instead of getting thrashed by mob who thought that a guy who is right should be thrashed and the auto rickshaw guy inspite of being wrong should be given the way. Well i cannot understand what makes perfectly sane people support wrong doers and abuse people who stand up for their rights. Life goes on .Nothing changes.
dkhatau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 20:53   #133
BHPian

[I go straight into him and he brakes. .............Life goes on .Nothing changes.[/quote]

DKhatau, I can understand how you feel. At least in Mumbai, I feel wrong-side driving happens only occasionally. Here in Hyderabad, it happens so often that after some time, one gets sick of taking the trouble to protest.

Because it is so common, people have forgotten it is against the rules and if someone driving properly doesn't adjust he is a troublemaker. I have sometimes gestured to a guy coming on the wrong side to ask what he is doing and he has given me a puzzled look, as if he is thinking "what's he getting so concerned about?"
straightdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 22:57   #134
BHPian

Everybody has logic, everybody has reasoning, what we lack is respect for another's existence. Things will definitely improve once that perception changes, don't ask me how. The one thing that hits you when you land in the US of A is that people acknowledge your presence, they would keep a certain distance & will not invade your space.
We lack that BIGTIME, & IMO it's family values or just simply how you've been bought up.
I personally do it at times, I get so pissed at people not watching where they walk that I floor the pedal when I see someone cross the road, not with the intention of running him over but just to scare the #$%^ out of him cause I encounter so many morons in just a few kms of travel. I have stopped doing that cause I've realised that someday I may actually end up hurting someone!!
People leaning against your car, sitting on your bike, that is complete disrespect of personal property. you wouldn't see many people touching or leaning on other's car's in the USA.
The frightening thing about the situation is that it's getting worse day by day & it will take a life time to change people's perception since they've not been bought up with those values.
That does not mean we stop trying or give up, it only means we follow what's morally & lawfully correct & I am sure a lot of us do it, but then we tend to give up more often which is also very normal given the frequency of such frequent occurences.
DAMN......I've rambled enough, saaary guys!!!

Last edited by mb_jg : 8th December 2008 at 23:01.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 23:03   #135
Senior - BHPian

idiots are there everywhere, and not a day passes that i feel like nominating some of them for the Darwin awards. if not me today, someone else will, so why let them continue this miserable existence?

but then again, Its not my job to judge, so i let it be....
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote