Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 9th July 2008, 11:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

That would apply more to the open trucks carrying sand and construction material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Apart from the act, the way I look at it is that the ash thrown out of the window from the cig sometimes gets into the eyes of the drivers who are following the vehicle from which it is thrown. Saw a couple of incidents like this. Would kindly advise anyone doing this to refrain from the same.
When the two-wheeler drivers can push the mobile phone between the ear and helmet and keep talking and driving. I will not be surprised if they drill a hole into the lower part of the helmet directly facing the mouth for smoking and driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
Prajeep, hope you were in your car while smoking and police stopped you. Ofcourse, it is tough to have a smoke while riding a two wheeler wearing a helmet, unless you find ways to quench your nicotine crave

Thanks for posting the incident here, it truly was a revelation for me!
Old 9th July 2008, 11:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

tough on you pal
would you know if it applies to LMV class also or not?
because one does tend to smoke while driving- however with most modern vehicles being provided with proper ash trays one doesnt want to shower passers by with cig ash.
seriously this is something to think about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
This was truly an eyeopener for me this morning while i was on my way to my office a cop comes in a bullet and stops me and asks me for the licence. in turn i just have him the bundle of documents which contained DL Rc insurance and emission. he checks everything across and tells me i am going to suspend your licence i was like @&^%&* i ask him for what reason , he says smoking while driving leads to licence suspended.
after exchanging words he opens the boot of the bullet and takes out the motorcycles vehicles act book and shows me the index where it says the licence should be suspended. i was shocked to see this, i pardon my ignorance here i had not known this before.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th July 2008 at 11:56.
Old 9th July 2008, 14:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Wow thats a new one. I never knew there was such a rule.
Sad you had to learn the hard way praJEEP and thank you for sharing this learning with us I hope they do something with people talking on mobiles while driving, 1 in every 5 cars has some driver busy yapping on the phone, driving in the fast lane at 15 km/hr.

Would love to see licenses impounded for that.
Old 9th July 2008, 14:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
Prajeep, hope you were in your car while smoking and police stopped you. Ofcourse, it is tough to have a smoke while riding a two wheeler wearing a helmet, unless you find ways to quench your nicotine crave

Thanks for posting the incident here, it truly was a revelation for me!
No rajesh i was on my RX, i wear a half helmet so one can smoke easily.
i was hardly doing 20km/hr in 2nd gear the cop caught me near csi hospital bamboo bazaar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Better watch out before asking for a discount - lest it invite VAT & service tax too !!
gurugalle you forgot some Tds too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Wow thats a new one. I never knew there was such a rule.
Sad you had to learn the hard way praJEEP and thank you for sharing this learning with us I hope they do something with people talking on mobiles while driving, 1 in every 5 cars has some driver busy yapping on the phone, driving in the fast lane at 15 km/hr.

Would love to see licenses impounded for that.
Well i do come across such drivers most of them would be well dressed and and look like educated idiots.
Old 9th July 2008, 15:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
i used to smoke while driving ( car ) but stopped after a cigarette bud once fell on my lap and burnt a hole in my new allen solly trouser :(...spent some 300 bucks to get it darned...
well narayan, what an excellent excuse to stop smoking

BTW, smoking while driving the car is bad, Bad for the car as the seats get ruined by the ashes that fly / sparks that fly.

Well, its good for the guys, they go closer to heaven!
Old 9th July 2008, 15:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Just today was reading some new laws signed in California. One related to smoking during driving.
Glad we are well advanced, but not really good in enforcing.
Old 9th July 2008, 16:41   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't normally smoke in the car. Maybe very rarely - in 3 years of having this car, I would have maybe smoked some 5-6 times in it. But it is mainly because I dont want the interiors to smell of tobacco/ash or even worse get burnt.

Agree that smoking or talking on mobile has its effects on driving effectively. And so IMO it is correct to penalise those who do either of these.
Old 9th July 2008, 16:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

There is a rule that you shouldn't smoke in the car.
Atleast in Delhi it is. ( Fine 100Rs)

Its even banned at many public places
(Fine 200Rs)
Old 9th July 2008, 17:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

The thing I find funny about this incident is that you can pay a couple of thousand rupees fine for drunken driving and drive your car again in that state but for smoking your license gets suspended. LOL
Old 9th July 2008, 17:45   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
This was truly an eyeopener for me this morning while i was on my way to my office a cop comes in a bullet and stops me and asks me for the licence. in turn i just have him the bundle of documents which contained DL Rc insurance and emission. he checks everything across and tells me i am going to suspend your licence i was like @&^%&* i ask him for what reason , he says smoking while driving leads to licence suspended.
It's a nuisance for the people following a rider who's smoking on a two wheeler and also car drivers with open windows who dumps the cigarette ash out of the vehicle.

Yesterday evening i was returning home from work and this guy on a Hero Honda was merrily smoking and riding. Ash then comes flying off his cigarette and lands on my face lucky for me it doesn't land in my eyes. It happened since my helmet visor was not clean i had to keep it lifted.

Those who smoke and ride isn't it better to stop and smoke? Smoking while riding is no fun it burns the cigarette faster and it's no pleasure either, at least it was like that for me. I was a smoker for 8 years and i quit.

Last edited by Sankar : 9th July 2008 at 17:50.
Old 9th July 2008, 17:51   #26
BHPian

Smoking when driving is dangerous as it distracts you. In fact in Karnataka it is forbidden for drivers to have any conversation when driving.
Old 9th July 2008, 18:12   #27
BHPian

This is a list of traffic violations in Delhi and the penalty.

Delhi Traffic Police, New Delhi (India) - Offences and Penalties of Delhi Traffic Police
Attached Thumbnails
Do you smoke while you ride/drive ! read on-delhi-police.jpg  

Old 9th July 2008, 18:18   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
Smoking while riding is no fun it burns the cigarette faster and it's no pleasure either, at least it was like that for me.
You made a very valid point. And it is the same for anyone who relishes the taste of smoking.
Old 9th July 2008, 18:24   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whoa, I regularly smoke while driving and am not even aware of this rule. Don't see how a cigarette could make you a bad driver.
Old 9th July 2008, 18:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whoa, I regularly smoke while driving and am not even aware of this rule. Don't see how a cigarette could make you a bad driver.
LOL GTO: You are a bad driver because BOTH your hands are not holding the steering wheel in the 10 - 2 position.
Closed Thread