Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 9th July 2008, 18:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't see how a cigarette could make you a bad driver.
It's always the miscreants who fail to acknowledge the trail of havoc, broken lives and utter devastation they leave behind them.

Judge to young woman, "Do you smoke while driving?"

Young woman in reply, "I don't know, I have never looked."
Old 9th July 2008, 22:31   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
LOL GTO: You are a bad driver because BOTH your hands are not holding the steering wheel in the 10 - 2 position.
Thanks headers. But in a manual transmission car driven within the city, which driver would have both his hands on the steering wheel? The left would be used for the gearshift atleast 80% of the time (moderate - heavy traffic too!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
It's always the miscreants who fail to acknowledge the trail of havoc, broken lives and utter devastation they leave behind them."
And its always the ignorant who make bad judgement, isnt it Dirty Dan?

Judge to Lawyer : Do you know who you have just accused?

Lawyer : I don't know. I have never thought.
Old 10th July 2008, 01:07   #33
BANNED

Smoking is an evil addiction. It is harmful to the one who smokes & also for ones who inadvertently happen to be in the vicinity (passive smokers). The law is for passive smokers , what wrong have they done, to be inhaling a mad mans puff. Public smokers should be behind bars.
Also , its a distraction to ones who are driving & smoking , thus again endangering lives of innocent people , who inadvertently happen to come their way. LICENSE SUSPENSION for such people will be a good deterrence factor.

Theres a county in canada , where smoking in a car with a minor child in it , is a crime & is severly punishable by law. Just think of a parent who would let his own child suffer! INDIA too needs such stringent laws against smoking.
Old 10th July 2008, 11:10   #34
BHPian

Smoking while riding a bike is an offense from quite sometime in Bangalore as far as I can remember police would stop and collect the fine from bikers as far back as 1994-95, as I got caught at that time.

Recently a cop came by my car and asked me to throw away the ciggy I was smoking and zoomed off, I dont suppose they'll fine car drivers for this but I am sure this will start soon.
Old 10th July 2008, 11:11   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring
But in a manual transmission car driven within the city, which driver would have both his hands on the steering wheel? The left would be used for the gearshift atleast 80% of the time (moderate - heavy traffic too!)
Exactly. One hand is needed for the gearshift, leaving only one for the steering. And in such a scenario, if the driver is smoking (using left or right hand), it is surely not making things any easier or better. Smoking while driving is definitely a distraction and best avoided.

This is kinda like the debate about talking on the mobile (even with handsfree) while driving. Even though most of us would agree that it definitely hampers driving, there would be some who would not agree with that logic.

bhp1, do we really need some county in Canada to know that it is wrong to smoke around kids ?
Old 10th July 2008, 14:10   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Can't argue with that, SupremeBaleno. There may be some workarounds, but I am not going to post them simply because its not something worth encouraging.

But then, there is also a similar risk in eating, drinking (water, cola etc.), loading CDs etc. while driving.
Old 10th July 2008, 14:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
And its always the ignorant who make bad judgement, isnt it Dirty Dan?
Hmmm....actually I was trying for humor via irony. No offense intended, GTO. See? There's a smiley face!
Old 10th July 2008, 15:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
This is a list of traffic violations in Delhi and the penalty.

Delhi Traffic Police, New Delhi (India) - Offences and Penalties of Delhi Traffic Police

That list says Overspeeding 1st time 400, subsequent times 300, so they actually give a rebate for the repeat offender (like a repeat customer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But then, there is also a similar risk in eating, drinking (water, cola etc.), loading CDs etc. while driving.
I agree. loading CDs & selecting songs are even more riskier than holding a cigarette in one hand.
Old 10th July 2008, 15:06   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
You bet. All of them are distracting and could lead to potential mishaps. We can also add "adjusting a/c controls, vents etc" to the list.

Sometimes all it takes for a major screwup to happen, is our attention getting diverted for just a few seconds from the road, due to engaging in any of these activities.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:27   #40
BHPian

Even changing CD or fiddling with the player can be really distracting. In fact one of the reasons I fear young lady drivers is I seen a few of them even grooming themselves in the ORVMs while driving!!
Old 15th July 2008, 13:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 16th July 2008 at 14:52.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th July 2008, 15:24   #42
BHPian

When driving fast I make it a note for myself to turn of the music and no phones, food, somke(anyway I am non smoker), drink, or even fiddle around with the a/c.

Though in city driving I have made myself perfect while driving easy and having ice-cream. Its acutally fun and challenging, specially having a cup.
Old 15th July 2008, 15:37   #43
BHPian

Good to know such a rule exists. I have seen lots of time guys in two/4 wheelers smoking and trying to pierce into the traffic with lots of sideway jerks. TO add insult to injury they try to tiff the ash of their ciggarette out of their car and not using the ashtray. Once i got the ash on my eye while driving two wheeler. When i questioned the car drriver he said simply wear a glass.
Old 15th July 2008, 20:42   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenFire View Post
Chandigarh, where smoking is banned in all public places, does not allow even the passengers to smoke.
Now, there is a new law in the making that you can't smoke in private areas either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj'sGlory View Post
Even changing CD or fiddling with the player can be really distracting. In fact one of the reasons I fear young lady drivers is I seen a few of them even grooming themselves in the ORVMs while driving!!
Distracting to you or the lady?
Old 15th July 2008, 21:34   #45
BHPian

I Think its a good law,as in there's no distraction from driving during lighting up or stubbing for that matter.Also Keeps the car in a gud aroma without the stale smell.
It would also help many quit as they can't smoke in those traffic jams nor on those long drives.I Think such a rule and this discussion must be making lots of people think about quiting smoking.

I would only be surprised to find more bumper stickers that read
"god made grass,man made booze,whom do you trust?" or "Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly?".Jokes Apart,Kudos to the officials who wrote the rule and those who are bringing the people to the book.
Closed Thread