Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 12th July 2008, 22:03   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Then I came out and asked the guys to leave we are friends. Problem solved.
What you did was still some intelligent work, but denting/scratching other cars is way tooooo much.
What have they done wrong to be dragged into this?
IMHO.. the camera option is the most sensible one.
revved_up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 23:22   #332
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I have an idea: How about you call the CBI since they are working the Noida area these days. They can just do a Narco Analysis on your 3 suspects. The CBI just rounds them up like cattle, shoots them full of brain chemicals, and bang, you find out who done it.

Too bad for the guys that were innocent, but hey, bringing the bad guys to justice is what counts. Right? So what if the good guys got a little brain damage and mental/physical trauma in the quest for truth and justice.

RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 23:45   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
As a common man, dont go to Police. They will just extract money and your problem wont be solved.
In the instance I spoke of above , what happened after the guy and his friends were seen doing damage, and over the next few days, was:
  1. Talking to the family --- this was met (minutes after the event) with denial
  2. A visit from the female car owner's brother, with a dozen or so mates. There was no violence, but numbers do speak.
  3. Further verbal cheek to the girl from the boy
  4. A visit to the police

It seems that that they have, in their area, a thorough and decent senior officer. They did help.

They were asked to limit action to a stiff talking to, and did so. They also patrolled and made their presence felt on the street at the appropriate hours.

Absolutely no mention of money was made, or even vaguely implied. The most helpful cop accepted a small, inexpensive gift as a thank-you, but it was offered, not requested.

So, having been given a somewhat negative view of the police in my adopted country, I'm happy to be able to tell a story (and an appropriate one too) in which they really did do the job.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 23:54   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post

Inspiration:

(Holmes) "The least sound would be fatal to our plans."

(Dr Watson) I nodded to show that I had heard.

"We must sit without light. He would see it through the ventilator."
I nodded again.

"Do not go asleep; your very life may depend upon it. Have your pistol ready in case we should need it. I will sit on the side of the bed, and you in that chair."

I took out my revolver and laid it on the corner of the table.

Holmes had brought up a long thin cane, and this he placed upon the bed beside him. By it he laid the box of matches and the stump of a candle. Then he turned down the lamp, and we were left in darkness.

How shall I ever forget that dreadful vigil? I could not hear a sound, not even the drawing of a breath, and yet I knew that my companion sat open-eyed, within a few feet of me, in the same state of nervous tension in which I was myself. The shutters cut off the least ray of light, and we waited in absolute darkness. From outside came the occasional cry of a night-bird, and once at our very window a long drawn catlike whine, which told us that the cheetah was indeed at liberty. Far away we could hear the deep tones of the parish clock, which boomed out every quarter of an hour. How long they seemed, those quarters! Twelve struck, and one and two and three, and still we sat waiting silently for whatever might befall.

Suddenly there was the momentary gleam of a light up in the direction of the ventilator, which vanished immediately, but was succeeded by a strong smell of burning oil and heated metal. Someone in the next room had lit a dark-lantern. I heard a gentle sound of movement, and then all was silent once more, though the smell grew stronger. For half an hour I sat with straining ears. Then suddenly another sound became audible — a very gentle, soothing sound, like that of a small jet of steam escaping continually from a kettle. The instant that we heard it, Holmes sprang from the bed, struck a match, and lashed furiously with his cane at the bell-pull.

"You see it, Watson?" he yelled. "You see it?"

-The Adventure of the Speckled Band

My My My!!! It is one hell of an inspiration! Long live Holmes, Watson and Doyle!!

Sorry for the comment!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 23:57   #335
BHPian

I really don't understand why does even the smallest of things drag the "courts" in between. Do we trust them so much that they would do a fair job, or is it that they don't have anything better to do. Yeah! that's right. I agree with red, call the CBI and instead of chargesheeting one of the CM's, they should catch this monkey bloke. Guys, why not take a chill pill.

Dirty dan said it the right way, it should not be more than taking the trash out. Why not move your car out to the open or park it somewhere else where people walking by can see? why not ask the security gaurds as to what's happening, although they too do a worthless job. Anyhow - my point is that there are other simple things to do rather than get the cops involve or doing the camera install thing. No wonder you manage to invite so much stuff on your plate. However, if the so called simple things don't work, then storm off to the nearest police station, dish out the $$$ and sit back. After all, since when did we need any proof against anyone to put him behind bars or harrass the bloke.

Your perogative dude, but I would really suggest, slow down and just think calmly rather than jumping to conclusions.

Cheers!
M2S
married2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 00:15   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
snaronikar : ...just cover the car with the cover as anybody comes to scratch the car will have to remove the car cover and does his bit. By this time, the camera can capture the image of the culprit very clearly. .
This will not help since the person who will lift the cover, will do so only on the bonnet region. Unless the cover is taken off the windshield, the cam will not get clear view of the culprit.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 01:14   #337
BHPian

get a cheap webcam, a USB extention cable (5meteres) and connect it to the computer. Use yawcam for motion dtection.

Yawcam - Yet Another Webcam Software
Yawcam - Downloading...

This may sound as way off topic but how bout teaching the ^%^^%$ a lesson.
A bit old school but it may work.
Get a small battery and there are circuits to increase the voltage output just enough to make a person go numb for some moment. You know things like shocking pens, shocking staplers.
You just need to wire it to the cars body. the current will not flow through the tires (well atleast when they are not wet), but when the guy comes to execute the job he will get a shock.

I am being very industrious but cant help it.
Connect the circuit to the car main battery so that the culprit gets a heavy electric shock.
(I am just giving a hypothetical situation. Please don't use the car battery as he may get paralysed or even electrocuted. Now that would be way too much of a tit for tat.)

Last edited by motorheadinc : 13th July 2008 at 01:17.
motorheadinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 01:32   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
as he may get paralysed or even electrocuted
what if some one lean on the car. i think he is planning to get you behind the bars
BAKIYA_2K12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 01:44   #339
BHPian

I believe you missed a smiley here. perhaps this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKIYA_2K12 View Post
what if some one lean on the car. i think he is planning to get you behind the bars
Quote:

You know things like shocking pens, shocking staplers.

(I am just giving a hypothetical situation

"""Please don't use the car battery"""""
I dont want anybody behind the bars.
That was just a prank.

My original idea was of a webcam with a motion sensor for which i have promptly given links in the same post.

Quote:
get a cheap webcam, a USB extention cable (5meteres) and connect it to the computer. Use yawcam for motion dtection.

Yawcam - Yet Another Webcam Software
Yawcam - Downloading...
Old 13th July 2008, 03:55   #340
BHPian

fix the webcam/yawcam in another car and park the other car in a place where your car is visible. Once you catch him, make sure that he will not do the same for rest of his life to any one.
Superleggera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 03:59   #341
Team-BHP Support

Hey welcome to Noida!
Its sure a pleasant place. right?
Our apartment building also has cars damaged etc., etc.,
Most cases its kids.
There is nothing much you can do without proof.
If you own a laptop you can easily setup a "motion detecting" photo taker. So you can put camera inside car, and any time it detects any movements, it will take a snap.
BTW, which sector?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 07:38   #342
BHPian

Default solution!

just spread the word, loud and clear that you have instilled a video camera and some hi-fi gadget to catch the culprit and as soon as you have the evidence ;you are going to take a strict action against it!
then just observe.... may be this will help
samrat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 14:31   #343
aZa
Senior - BHPian

amit how about a Touch sensor ? it is a nuisance at times but it has an off switch The wifi cam idea from gunnu sounds nice too.
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 20:01   #344
BHPian

Any updates on the issue Amit?

All the best for catching the culprit.

Cheers
Old 13th July 2008, 20:09   #345
BHPian

It was relatively cheap. I remember the service chap referring to it as a "spot refinishing" job. Cost was about 3,000 to take off scratch damage from the door....was a truly awesome job.
GTO - Touring is offline   Reply With Quote